WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Departure times from Havasu on sundays 10 vs. 40 and why

JB in so cal

Reaction score
We left Sunday at 9:30 and took 6:10 to get home to South oc. Thinking desert storm worse. Leave at 5:00 PM and should be 5 hours home.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
We left Sunday around 1245 and it took about the same on time going to Winchester taking the 10. Traffic was jacked from 62 all the way to Beaumont.

jadenchick

Reaction score
We take the 40 and leave around 9am. Home by 1 to Corona. We stop for lunch in Barstow.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Left At 10 AM on Sunday, via the 40. Was home in South OC at 3:05 with a stop in Barstow for lunch. Stopped at Loves at the 40 to fill up with gas. Lost 25 mins due to traffic.

Leaving after lunch sucks. We try to leave after an early dinner on Sunday, generally before 6. If there is not an accident in Cajon, it takes 4.5-5 hours. We are still hitting the tail end of Cajon/Vegas traffic at that time.

If there is no traffic, I can set the cruise control at 78-80 and be there in less than 4 hours if I don’t stop.

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Hated the 40. We normally left Monday morning and went 10 to Palm Springs. Dog got car sick on rice rd. LOL

Singleton

Reaction score
When we drove on Sunday, we left Havasu at 7pm, home to Carlsbad around midnight via the 10.
we would boat until 2ish, clean and put away boat, then shower and eat dinner.

now we leave Monday at 5pm and work Monday from Havasu. Kid misses school Monday, but I told the school until you teach everyday and a full day with specials (PE, music, library), don’t call me when my kid misses school. She is getting an education in life experiences

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Left At 10 AM on Sunday, via the 40. Was home in South OC at 3:05 with a stop in Barstow for lunch. Stopped at Loves at the 40 to fill up with gas. Lost 25 mins due to traffic.

Leaving after lunch sucks. We try to leave after an early dinner on Sunday, generally before 6. If there is not an accident in Cajon, it takes 4.5-5 hours. We are still hitting the tail end of Cajon/Vegas traffic at that time.

If there is no traffic, I can set the cruise control at 78-80 and be there in less than 4 hours if I don’t stop.
is that a normal time frame? Understand for accidents

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
is that a normal time frame? Understand for accidents

Yea. At night, aside from a big accident, Cajon is the only spot I hit any traffic. Some weekends it is worse than others and you crawl down the hill for no reason, even at 8-9 PM. Other times you roll through at 15-20 MPH and it’s not so bad.

I have not left Havasu at 10AM for awhile. I know traffic is worst around 5-6PM through Cajon though.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We’re rolling out on Sunday night and heading down the 95. Smooth sailing normally.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Leaving havasu to OC I find is better on the 40. Even on a bad day the cajon moves a hell of a lot faster than the 10 in morongo whitewater area. Going to havasu I feel the 10 is better on a Friday night.

Keep in mind I’m the guy that speeds on rice road and sets my cruise control at 110

wishiknew

Reaction score
Leaving havasu to OC I find is better on the 40. Even on a bad day the cajon moves a hell of a lot faster than the 10 in morongo whitewater area. Going to havasu I feel the 10 is better on a Friday night.

Keep in mind I’m the guy that speeds on rice road and sets my cruise control at 110
110 LOL pulling boat ? 😀😀

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Monday traffic from Henderson, NV was worse than we anticipated. We were on the freeway at 10:00am.the number of drivers who either don’t care or are distracted is ridiculous. The pass was slow, then suddenly everyone hit the breaks for no reason.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
When I lived in Phoenix, I gave up on going back on Sundays over traffic. We would leave at 3am Monday, and be home in time for work etc. I could only imagine LA traffic would be much worse. The Monday thing worked really well for us for a couple of years.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
If I leave Sunday, it's almost always before 8am or after 6pm.

In the Summer, you have a chance with the 10 not being full of Glamis traffic vs. the Vegas summer traffic is a given.

Winter: You're screwed. 10 has Glamis traffic. 15 has high desert offroading, local snow people, Mammoth people, and still some Vegas people.

As of now, my boat is stored right across Needles bridge in AZ. So it really only makes sense to take the 40.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I used to love driving..just hop in and go and have a great time and enjoy the journey and destination....now it’s a godamn stress test every time...kinda sucks. :p Maybe our new glorious president will have the gas so high this summer that Havasu will be ”great again!”:p Or maybe the fucker won’t even make it to summer.:p

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Yea. At night, aside from a big accident, Cajon is the only spot I hit any traffic. Some weekends it is worse than others and you crawl down the hill for no reason, even at 8-9 PM. Other times you roll through at 15-20 MPH and it’s not so bad.

I have not left Havasu at 10AM for awhile. I know traffic is worst around 5-6PM through Cajon though.
EVERY Sunday in the Vegas paper online it’s always a 12 mile backup on the 15....I could never have the patience to do Cajon pass on a weekend anymore....used to do it every weekend years ago.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Guess we have it better than most living in Santa Clarita. 40/15/18/Pearblossom/14. Center of town and left at 9:30. Barstow Loves for gas, home at 1:45. Some slowing here and there but still did it in 4 and 1/4 hours.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have always went through amboy, 29 palms to the 10. But Maybe because of the road construction but the stretch of the 10 from the 62-Beaumont has been bad for the last year. It use to only be brutal on holidays that were also glamis weekends and stage coach or Coachella. For some reason the 40/15/210/10 to get to yucaipa feels like an eternity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We’re leaving Saturday after the Shootout. Traffic is going to suck balls on Desert Storm Sunday!!!

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
We boat and leave bet 3-5 PM on Sunday afternoon. 40/58/166. Six hrs to Santa Maria. Traffic is much lighter during this time. For some reason my cruise control gets stuck at 85 mph.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
We have a near 20hr drive from NW Oregon. We are leaving later this week for Havasu for the festivities.

We made the decision to time it so we drive through the night to avoid as much traffic as possible. Hopefully this old man can pull an all nighter and we don't run into any problems. We're going through Reno and coming down 95 to avoid as much of Kalifornia as we can.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
We usually leave early Sunday morn (by 8) and take the 10 home, Always easy. Last week, boated Sunday, said screw it, put the boat away, got cleaned up, and DRANK our dinner.. Got up Monday and left by 8:15. No traffic till we stopped in Indio for gas and food. From there to Beaumont traffic sucked balls. Not as bad or as slow as Sunday, but way worse than I had thought it would be.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
When was the last Sunday this happened?

last September was the last time I did it.. most trips now are Thursday to Tuesday ... depending on information I gets from chp and google ... I typically go and return 15/40 .... leaving Thursday at 3:30pm sucks most of the time... but leaving Havasu on Tuesday at 8:00am is really nice !!!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
last September was the last time I did it.. most trips now are Thursday to Tuesday ... depending on information I gets from chp and google ... I typically go and return 15/40 .... leaving Thursday at 3:30pm sucks most of the time... but leaving Havasu on Tuesday at 8:00am is really nice !!!
Leaving@ 3:30 sucks for sure. 2:30 and hustling is about the latest I try to head out of town now, with 11:30-12:30 being the latest time to leave with little to no traffic.

Javajoe

Reaction score
The next 2 weekends should be interesting. I’m heading there Sat early but coming back the same day though. Just doing some boat maintenance

DanG

Reaction score
We take the 40/15 and have found the best times to be before 8am or after 6pm. We typically do the after 6pm so we can enjoy a short day on the lake. Our drive is 247 miles door to door and is usually 4-4.5 hours with the occasional 5+ hours. We've made the drive 40+ times over the last year and have tried leaving at all different times, including the 3AM Monday. Our most consistent result with the benefit of some lake time is leaving between 6-7pm.

Mike K

Reaction score
Geez ... I'm glad someone brought this up ... I live in OC and go back and forth to my vacation home in Havasu.
I am not kidding ... that nice 4 1/2, 5 hour trip home is no more. Its more like 6 ... yeah I know ... I can hear them now " oh ... what ? we get home easily all the time with never a problem " ... NOPE ... You have to plan everything around the constant traffic back ups. For the past year ... every trip except for one I sat in at least 30 to 45 minutes stopped or going like 5mph somewhere along the drive ... and it's getting worse ... the long drive is fine but the traffic congestion in so many places now sucks ... trying to get WAZE to give you a heads up is a joke ... last weekend ... I left Havasu at 6:30am Sunday morning .. took the 40 ... made it all the way to the 15 - 91 interchange where everything was stopped added another 35 to 45 minutes , shoulda taken the 215 to Tollroad ... also stay off of 60 westbound ... goes into 1 lane that will add 40 minutes easily ... I've even changed up to leaving on a Monday ... but ya gotta time that to the westbound 91 traffic where you'll sit for an hour or so with all the people trying to get to LA or OC from the IE. I left Saturday night at 5pm about a month ago ...took the 10 ... got to Banning ... like at around 8:30pm stopped ... all the way to the 60 /10 interchange ... anyway ... I'm just ranting ... but coming home has turned into such a downer ... and no matter how hard you try to get it figured out ... I just cant win ... there are just too many people on the road in CA. I probably need a Prozac and a large Rum and Coke.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We take the 40/15 and have found the best times to be before 8am or after 6pm. We typically do the after 6pm so we can enjoy a short day on the lake. Our drive is 247 miles door to door and is usually 4-4.5 hours with the occasional 5+ hours. We've made the drive 40+ times over the last year and have tried leaving at all different times, including the 3AM Monday. Our most consistent result with the benefit of some lake time is leaving between 6-7pm.

Agreed 100%. I'm right at 300 miles.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Complaining now, can’t imagine a month from now. I would try to go middle of may. Last trip. If I don’t get out in next couple weeks I’m probably just not going.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
You know, if you want the best advice, Google Maps your way home (or out there too). I know how to get to Havasu and home, but Google Maps will always try and route you around the worst of it. Google will even interrupt your route to tell you if a faster way becomes available.

Though you have to make your own decisions on Google's re-routing. Saves 5 minutes? Skip. Saves 20-30 minutes, yes please. Also depends if I'm towing or not and how much of a hassle that would be, or if I want to subject the boat trailer to shitty roads.

This past weekend was really crappy going Rice and the 10. Google wanted me to go 29 Palms but I ignored it because I don't really like that way, but I wish I had listened.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Geez ... I'm glad someone brought this up ... I live in OC and go back and forth to my vacation home in Havasu.
I am not kidding ... that nice 4 1/2, 5 hour trip home is no more. Its more like 6 ... yeah I know ... I can hear them now " oh ... what ? we get home easily all the time with never a problem " ... NOPE ... You have to plan everything around the constant traffic back ups. For the past year ... every trip except for one I sat in at least 30 to 45 minutes stopped or going like 5mph somewhere along the drive ... and it's getting worse ... the long drive is fine but the traffic congestion in so many places now sucks ... trying to get WAZE to give you a heads up is a joke ... last weekend ... I left Havasu at 6:30am Sunday morning .. took the 40 ... made it all the way to the 15 - 91 interchange where everything was stopped added another 35 to 45 minutes , shoulda taken the 215 to Tollroad ... also stay off of 60 westbound ... goes into 1 lane that will add 40 minutes easily ... I've even changed up to leaving on a Monday ... but ya gotta time that to the westbound 91 traffic where you'll sit for an hour or so with all the people trying to get to LA or OC from the IE. I left Saturday night at 5pm about a month ago ...took the 10 ... got to Banning ... like at around 8:30pm stopped ... all the way to the 60 /10 interchange ... anyway ... I'm just ranting ... but coming home has turned into such a downer ... and no matter how hard you try to get it figured out ... I just cant win ... there are just too many people on the road in CA. I probably need a Prozac and a large Rum and Coke.

We’re in OC also. On normal weekends we usually just hang out and have dinner on Friday after work, then head for Havasu around 8pm when most of the Rush Hour traffic has made it home. We usually hit Havasu around Midnight or so. FYI - When we leave OC at 5pm we usually hit town around 11pm so we figure why kill ourselves to save an hour when all we’re going to do is go to sleep anyways, lol.

Your right though. The drive home has gotten bad since the Plandemic started. If you leave anytime after 7am on Sunday morning your fucked! It’s not worth it for us to drive 300 miles just to play on the lake for 1 day. We just spend most of Sunday on the lake, take the boat to storage, then head home around 3pm. It’s not the best rolling into home at 9pm on a work night but we will take that over not boating for a day.

Someday I’ll get tired of this working stuff and just stay out there full time and kiss commuting goodbye 👋

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Terrible traffic going home at noon last weekend, 9:00 oclock, 1 mile, 500' above, you are aprox 30kts faster :)

havi traffic.PNG

FishSniper

Reaction score
We have been lucky and doing longer trips the last few months but that is gonna be changing so glad this thread popped up. Think for the 2 night trips will head back Sunday evening to at least get partial day in Sunday whether it be on the water or in pool.

RichieRich

Reaction score
You know, if you want the best advice, Google Maps your way home (or out there too). I know how to get to Havasu and home, but Google Maps will always try and route you around the worst of it. Google will even interrupt your route to tell you if a faster way becomes available.

Though you have to make your own decisions on Google's re-routing. Saves 5 minutes? Skip. Saves 20-30 minutes, yes please. Also depends if I'm towing or not and how much of a hassle that would be, or if I want to subject the boat trailer to shitty roads.

This past weekend was really crappy going Rice and the 10. Google wanted me to go 29 Palms but I ignored it because I don't really like that way, but I wish I had listened.
Yep...I did listen and it wasnt bad until we hit the 10

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yeah, the trip home on Sunday is likely going to suck regardless. Just trying to avoid as much as possible is all you can do.

For the 10, if you can get around the crap in Palm Springs by going 29 Palms you're still stuck with the Whitewater grade on the 10, though sometimes I've gone down to the 111 to get around some of the worst of the Whitewater grade. And then finally you have the Cabazon crawl. Sometimes its one of them or all three of them, but very rarely has it been none of them.

jadenchick

Reaction score
We need a Gulfstream LOL
The traffic is only getting worse. We plan on moving to the OC but the drive times I’m reading about are insane.
I wish they did flights again, amazing to get there in 45 minutes or so.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Well more like 58 minutes from French Valley to Havi, but who's counting ;)
We need a Gulfstream LOL
The traffic is only getting worse. We plan on moving to the OC but the drive times I’m reading about are insane.
I wish they did flights again, amazing to get there in 45 minutes or so.