WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting serious: Cancer, So a year ago today

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I received a stem cell transplant at City of Hope in an attempt to treat Acute Myeloid Leukemia. My donor was my brother, who thankfully was a match. The first year has been hard, but nothing as bad as the chemo and radiation leading up to the transplant. Next week I will have my one year bone marrow biopsy and I have no reason to think I’m not still in remission. Im not in the shape I used to be, but I feel good and I’m happy to still be on this earth.

I just wanted to remind everyone not to take a day for granted and enjoy the time you have. Keep your friends and family close, and show your kids what it means to never give up.

My situation is not unique, so here’s to everyone else that has been down this path, cheers 🍻 🍻

JimmyV
New Birthday, 4/13/2020

Bear Down

Reaction score
Godspeed my man! You're blessed as so is your family

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Never give up......
I was diagnosed in September 2015, worst case scenario, at the time, was 6 months, surgery and chemo, metastasized a year later, more surgery and chemo, clear since 2019.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Congrats.
PM me your size and address and Alice and I will send you one of these:
1618350327483.jpeg

I'm 4 years cancer free this week and 14 years into a successful marriage.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Best to you are your family. You got this and you are going to kick Cancer’s ASS!!!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very cool! Never heard of such a treatment. Been lucky enough to not have needed to seek one. Things have come a long way in the past ten years, and I'm greatful for it. It's always good to hear of people able to move ahead, and keep getting more from life.

DLC

Reaction score
That’s is GREAT news! With so much bad news it’s refreshing to read some really great news!

keep on doing what your doing

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Brother,
35 years AML. You got this.
- Bruce

Great to hear from anyone who’s beat AML, treatments have come a long way, but it’s still a killer.

Very cool! Never heard of such a treatment. Been lucky enough to not have needed to seek one. Things have come a long way in the past ten years, and I'm greatful for it. It's always good to hear of people able to move ahead, and keep getting more from life.

A Stem Cell Transplant is the current form of the old Bone Marrow Transplant, but much less invasive, while still equally effective. CoH has been a leading hospital on this front and I’m fortunate to be under their care!

Last edited:

pkbullet

Reaction score
Best of luck on your biopsy! I’m two years post kidney removal for renal cancer. Metastatic since last July being treated with immunotherapy currently. I sure agree with you on appreciating everyday and everyone.

bogeygolf

Reaction score
Happy Birthday. My son is 28 years old, his new birthday is now 11/5/2015. Our daughter was his match. We know exactly what you have been thru. Stay strong.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Great to hear from anyone who’s beat AML, treatments have come a long way, but it’s still a killer.

A Stem Cell Transplant is the current form of the old Bone Marrow Transplant, but much less invasive, while still equally effective. CoH has been a leading hospital on this front and I’m fortunate to be under their care!

Did you experience serious Weight Loss?

Mototrig

Reaction score
Good for you brother! So glad you made it to remission so quickly and I hope for the best for your biopsy. It's been almost 5 years for me and I'm so close to remission I can taste it.

Last edited:

KevinR

Reaction score
Wow. So encouraging to hear of all the victorious battles with leukemia and other cancers.

I was diagnosed in June 2019 with CLL -chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Fortunately for me it is a mild type of leukemia. Started immunotherapy infusion therapy in October last year and down to my last session next month.

I am blessed and grateful that there are very effective drugs to get my blood healthy again.

Jimmyv thank you for sharing your journey and your strength.

chevy

Reaction score
6 years battling prostate cancer, currently going through a recurrence, cancer is no joke hang in there and don't sweat the small stuff enjoy every day 🤞

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear so many have personally experienced the big C, but great to know there are so many survivors and warriors still getting good results. I wholeheartedly believe attitude and a willingness to fight is key, at least for me.

Best of luck on your biopsy! I’m two years post kidney removal for renal cancer. Metastatic since last July being treated with immunotherapy currently. I sure agree with you on appreciating everyday and everyone.

I’m sorry to hear, but happy you're getting results. Stay strong and stay the course!

Happy Birthday. My son is 28 years old, his new birthday is now 11/5/2015. Our daughter was his match. We know exactly what you have been thru. Stay strong.

Good for your son, I’m sure it was taxing on the whole family for him to go through this as such a young man. Glad to see he’s 5 years in. 5 years is a key milestone for long term remission!

Did you experience serious Weight Loss?

Yes, I’m not a big guy to begin with, but I pigged out on ice cream and burgers in anticipation of the weight loss. Went in at 160 ish and came home under 130. I figured if I went in too skinny, I would whither away! Around 145-150 now, but far less muscle and more swollen fat looking! Ha

Good for you brother! So glad you made it to remission so quickly and I hope for the best for your biopsy. It's been almost 5 years for me and I'm so close to remission I can taste it.

Stay the course brother, keep up the fight! You’ll do it!

Wow. So encouraging to hear of all the victorious battles with leukemia and other cancers.

I was diagnosed in June 2019 with CLL -chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Fortunately for me it is a mild type of leukemia. Started immunotherapy infusion therapy in October last year and down to my last session next month.

I am blessed and grateful that there are very effective drugs to get my blood healthy again.

Jimmyv thank you for sharing your journey and your strength.

Thank you. Sorry to hear about your plight, but happy to hear it’s going so well!

6 years battling prostate cancer, currently going through a recurrence, cancer is no joke hang in there and don't sweat the small stuff enjoy every day 🤞

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing a reoccurrence. This is a plight that has effected so many, but there are more and more positive outcomes everywhere. Keep fighting!

On another note, anybody willing and able to donate Blood or Platelets, Please do so. Through COVID and the shutdowns, blood supplies have been dangerously low everywhere.

There were days I only received transfusions because I had my own donor list directing blood to me. Others on my floor were unable to receive blood unless they hit a minimal and very critical threshold as the hospitals were forced to ration supply this year.

Cheers 🍻
JimmyV

ssc

Reaction score
Stay strong. My life changing moment was July 19, 2019. The C club is no bueno. Sounds like pkbullet and I have something in common. Things are going good. Stay positive and surround yourself with positive people. Damn, sounds like we need a "C" club support group.

Cheers, Steve

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
On another note, anybody willing and able to donate Blood or Platelets, Please do so. Through COVID and the shutdowns, blood supplies have been dangerously low everywhere.

There were days I only received transfusions because I had my own donor list directing blood to me. Others on my floor were unable to receive blood unless they hit a minimal and very critical threshold as the hospitals were forced to ration supply this year.

Cheers 🍻
JimmyV
Absolutely. Through my treatment I lost track at somewhere around 80 plus units of blood / platelets.
Personal thank you to all blood donors👏
-Bruce