WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spindle Questionable?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Had a bearing failure last year. Did a roadside repair in Victorville. Luckily I found the failure in front of Auto Zone and O'reillys.

Smooth sanded the spindle, changed out the rotor, bearings and misc and on the road again.. Actually I've put over 1000 miles post repair, no issues

I thought it'd be a good idea to pull the rotor and inspect. Except for the obvious the bearing fits tight... and seems to adjust fine with no slop

Extreme and Pacific are 4-6 weeks out and 3-4 weeks out respectively for a new Axel

Anybody heard of R&R a spindle. I've found nobody willing due to liability, even the guys who build axles

the area the bearing rides on is just after the threads, not the beveled part of the spindle which is gouged pretty good

Would you trust my current condition?

IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'd test it for a thousand miles, and if it still works, I'd run it.

Dan'l

This!!!!!!! 😂

Just make sure the bearing slides over that rough area smoothly before you reassemble it all. Lube it up, take out all the play, and then tighten it up so the bearings have some preload on them. Or, you can always buy two new axles...

See ya on the water. :cool:

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Are you using grease or oil? If grease you should be fine, if oil you might have a hard time to get the oil seal to seal correctly.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am ordering the new axle now, run what you brung in the mean time.
I would get the repair parts to have with me so if it lets go and you are NOT in front of an auto supply store you can repair quickly.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
So these moving parts rely on grease to create a hydraulic barrier from touching metal to metal. My point is given enough grease it should work. Or you could replace it and be done with it.

I guess really it's more about the bearing alignment.

Okay reeplace it.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
If you made it 1000 miles I'd say you trust your roadside repair enough. Have you tried seeing if you can order a new spindle and just take it to a local fab shop that isn't as busy?

I had this happen last summer to and was able to find a spindle online with shadow trailers I believe. I just cut the old one off and welded on the new one.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
If you made it 1000 miles I'd say you trust your roadside repair enough. Have you tried seeing if you can order a new spindle and just take it to a local fab shop that isn't as busy?

I had this happen last summer to and was able to find a spindle online with shadow trailers I believe. I just cut the old one off and welded on the new one.

I thought it should be that simple but anybody I have contacted regarding R&R the spindle has refused due to liability....

BUT..

Just got a lead on a spindle replacement... Accurate Trailers in Santa Clarita... He's very confident no issues!!! I'll be there in the AM... If for some reason he can't do it I'm off to Pacific for a complete new axle....

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I thought it should be that simple but anybody I have contacted regarding R&R the spindle has refused due to liability....

BUT..

Just got a lead on a spindle replacement... Accurate Trailers in Santa Clarita... He's very confident no issues!!! I'll be there in the AM... If for some reason he can't do it I'm off to Pacific for a complete new axle....
That's crazy! I mean I get the liability issues but to me that's a rather simple repair. Best of luck brother.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

BUT..

I had accurate weld a new spindle onto an axle years ago, no problems!

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I had accurate weld a new spindle onto an axle years ago, no problems!
good to hear... I was a little apprehensive based on all the refusals to r&r I got. this place has great reviews

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
good to hear... I was a little apprehensive based on all the refusals to r&r I got. this place has great reviews
Honestly not sure why so many refusals to do it. It seems common, you can buy the weld on spindles from a bunch of trailer parts suppliers.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Honestly not sure why so many refusals to do it. It seems common, you can buy the weld on spindles from a bunch of trailer parts suppliers.
I to am shock to hear about all the refusals. This seems to be an easy job. I did mine when I had the same thing happen not saying I know what I'm doing but I did my best and it turned out great.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
completed today. looks as good as new..

Service from Accurate was excellent. They have a pretty complete supply house there including many accessories for you north LA county guys

Backlash

Reaction score
So they replaced the spindle portion on your axle, or just cleaned up the existing spindle?