WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Transom speakers

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Can’t decide on either Rockford or JL for these? For those who have them which do you like better? I have a 23’ ultra that these are going on?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Picture of the boat
D4DB7920-C2F0-4E9B-B509-5679DEE49F75.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
For $20 more go JL. The JL also has less depth.

Reactions: DWC

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The JL uses a custom mount. The rockfords come with the surface mount already so in theory the rockfords are 150 bucks cheaper

gqchris

Reaction score
Please for the love of god do not play these while crusing the channel and them still facing backwards. I never understood the reason for this! Lol [emoji23]

On the beach these things sure do get the sound out and always the star of the parties.

DWC

Reaction score
Those above are too big for my boat

no removable
No such thing.
PS. Don’t go cheap on the amp. These things love some power. They don’t do shit if you don’t have enough.

Reactions: DLC

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I’m a Rockford fan thru and thru but not sure you could or would want to squeeze them in an area that is going to get a lot of water. I have seen people do the wet sound sound bars up higher . And you can get those powered so you don’t have to run the full system when your just chillin.
What ever you end up with post up some pics.

gqchris

Reaction score
You and 80 other boats with the same or similar.[emoji41][emoji37][emoji854]

Yup. I have no desire to battle stereos these days. Im fine with letting others do the job. [emoji3]

I will say that I do see a benefit with a group of folks on a cove of their own. Would be nice to get the tunes crankin then.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Jorge (I don't know his screen name on RDP) has some nice flush mount on his boat.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Javajoe

Reaction score
Place them where it won’t interfere with your Bimini down

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I would rather listen to the sound of my motor. Save your money for gas.
im right there with you. i have removed stereos from boats because i dont use them.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Wish I could, but that won’t be an option. Bimini is almost always up when using the boat anyway.
When I was looking at Magic’s, one guy had transom speakers and he had to have his kid hold up the closed Bimini so he could open the hatch. Boat was not very nice but if it was Real Nice...for that reason alone I would not have bought it. What a pain in the ass I would think. But hey, maybe that’s just me

chonchisyque

Reaction score
Post some pics when its done I need upgrade my system on my cobra 230.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Post some pics when its done I need upgrade my system on my cobra 230.

His boat is exactly the same hull as yours.. (and mine) if you weren't aware so a lot will carry over. I have a Cobra 230 as well.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
What is the mounting methods on these type speakers. The ones on the swivel pegs have to be drilled in ..right?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 996646 Here’s a pic of mine seen your cobra on the water

I’ve seen yours too. Bad ass gel scheme.

If yours has the hideaway bimini like mine does, these pods could work well. My only concern is if the hatch will hit the speakers when I raise it.

I did 8 speakers and 1 sub off a 1000 watt 5 channel amp in my boat when I updated the stereo. Works nice, but it is not a crazy setup.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What is the mounting methods on these type speakers. The ones on the swivel pegs have to be drilled in ..right?

Yea. Get out the hole saw. The mounts are pretty trick, but cost as much as the speakers.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
@chonchisyque i finally got them done this past Friday. What a difference they make. Super loud!!! I went with the JL 7.7 pods. It will need zone control but I will do that this winter. Played my music at Pirates today and it was nice to not have to blare it to hear it 20+ ft off the back of the boat. I’m very happy with these

v6toy4x

Reaction score
@chonchisyque i finally got them done this past Friday. What a difference they make. Super loud!!! I went with the JL 7.7 pods. It will need zone control but I will do that this winter. Played my music at Pirates today and it was nice to not have to blare it to hear it 20+ ft off the back of the boat. I’m very happy with these

no pics??

Reactions: DLC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m a Rockford fan thru and thru but not sure you could or would want to squeeze them in an area that is going to get a lot of water. I have seen people do the wet sound sound bars up higher . And you can get those powered so you don’t have to run the full system when your just chillin.
What ever you end up with post up some pics.

The powered soundbars are absolute junk.. do not ever buy one

DLC

Reaction score
Dude really ....... no pics!

Friday I had Pandora on shuffle and while at the sand bar ...... pumping my jams working the babes / hotties ......

Christmas music popped on yep - frosty the snowman.....its total classic! I almost had a throw down with the grinch’s bitch! whew, got lucky !

Good thing somebody stepped in with a beer bong

Singleton

Reaction score
Similar setup. Love how I can spin them. They are always pointed where we are at (floating behind boat - pointed to the rear), on the beach (pointed towards the side of boat we are on). Never have them on when underway, use the interior speakers for that.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
So how do you handle "zoning" are these on the rear channel and forward is for interior spkrs?

When not in use are you giving up the amp output for that channel?

I could see where I would want these to be the only speaker on when anchored somewhere and just hangin out.
Although stowed disconnected most of the time.
Yet still have all the amp output available when they are not in use?

Is this having my cake and eating it too?

Singleton

Reaction score
So how do you handle "zoning" are these on the rear channel and forward is for interior spkrs?

When not in use are you giving up the amp output for that channel?

I could see where I would want these to be the only speaker on when anchored somewhere and just hangin out.
Although stowed disconnected most of the time.
Yet still have all the amp output available when they are not in use?

Is this having my cake and eating it too?

I have a dedicated amp for my pods.
Zoning works as follows = Front (interior speakers only), Middle (all speakers), Back (pods). Subs are for all zones (have a dedicated amp). Interior speakers have their own amp as well

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
For mine they are powered by my amp for all speakers to get zone control for me is the JL media master head unit. As it stands right now while underway they are too loud and I can’t hear the music around me only “behind” me. It’s not that bad really though While not underway it is good except to get the bass to match the new loudness I have to turn it up. Not a problem as I have more than enough bass (2 15’s and a 1500 watt amp the subs.)
Zone control will fix this. I can’t set a “driving” zone, “beached” zone or just an all around kick ass zone and the highs will match the Lows in any of those situations.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have a dedicated amp for my pods.
Zoning works as follows = Front (interior speakers only), Middle (all speakers), Back (pods). Subs are for all zones (have a dedicated amp). Interior speakers have their own amp as well

So 3 amps-

so now your interior spkr amp "control" is on 2 channels from the head unit RF/LF
if it is a 4ch amp you tie the front and rear amp outputs together for max power from the amp?

pod amp control is the head unit RR/LR
again if it is a 4ch amp you tie the front and rear outputs together OR run a 2 ch amp?

I assume the subs hit when in "pod" mode?
I guess you could use the inline sub volumn control to tone them down
OR can you only feed the subs from the front ch?

My wife shuts me down every time we anchor in the canyon and I turn the stereo up loud enough to hear it out in the water, which I get, its way too loud in the boat if your are hanging in there. Even the subs would probably make her "not happy" and we all know about happy wifes!!!

More details please??

chonchisyque

Reaction score
Who did the work and how much are those pods. I like it. Im scheduled to get a wet sounds media stero installed that has the 4sound zones with two remotes and with two 10 jl audio subs in the mid cab. I already have a alpine 5 channel pdx 9 amp. Which will be repositioned to the mid cab and installed 6 6x9 alpine r last August.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Who did the work and how much are those pods. I like it. Im scheduled to get a wet sounds media stero installed that has the 4sound zones with two remotes and with two 10 jl audio subs in the mid cab. I already have a alpine 5 channel pdx 9 amp. Which will be repositioned to the mid cab and installed 6 6x9 alpine r last August.
I’ll pm you