WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Shootout “C’Mon Man”

KAP

Reaction score
Well I was the first to run and the speed came back at 126.7 and I said say again. They repeated and I called Jimmie Nichols directly on his cell phone and said Houston we have a problem. I could not claim a number my Simrad clearly had as different.
I came back and heard the next run was 144MPH and the next one was 199.3. I again told race control we have a big problem please check the guns.

NOTE: Funny how no one else called bullshit on race day only days later did the rumblings start.

I then was told to take another run and I did and it came back 101.3 and my Simrad had 101 [it does not do fractional speeds]. I said yes to Jimmie and said that it was spot on let's resume the Shootout. I was not going to claim the first run in anyway shape or form. I had no issues running multiple runs in OB format. The same cannot be said for the supercharged boats set on kill as they may only get one or two runs.

All runs after that initial run were spot on plus or minus 1Mph which is normal for Shootout conditions.

Everyone has some type of recall feature on their boat if your speed is in question just post it up. Honestly most speeds called out in the Shootout were generous. What do I mean usually rounded up For Example if you ran 110.9 you got 111MPH. If you ran 101.5 you usually got 101MPH.

I made a lot of runs each one was consistently close to the previous run. I did improve because I hit the starting line harder as most of my runs I was waaaay under the 40MPH start number. So I continued to improve my start speed to get a bigger final number. However, the improvement was minimal at best 2-3MPH better.

I spoke to the organizers and they did deduct 26MPH off the first run for the winner of King of the Desert who had an erroneous radar reading of 199MPH. It sucks for him because maybe his first run was the best run of the day for his boat. If it was you know damn well I would have taken a photo of the GPS and saved it. The data should be there and posted to quash the nay sayers.

I feel really bad for Cory because he really came to run a monster number and now to have it questioned would hurt my feelings.

Shit happens....I know in the past I ran 116MPH [GPS Confirmed] in my Howard Sportdeck and Jim sr. ended up giving me a 101MPH. I was like I can run that in my sleep. I digress over things in the past. I have volunteered for the Shootout Committee next year and hope it will have zero controversy.

Lastly, I think the time to protest a speed should have been on the day of the Shootout not days later. That is fundamentally unfair and throws shade on a person's shine/accomplishments.

FYI: They had two radar guns at the finish line.

Footnote: LOTO is in August we shall see who shows up and runs what. Cory ran the third fastest MPH at 2020 LOTO out of anyone 162MPH. The next fastest was Russell Clay at 168MPH. Followed by Tony Battiato 202MPH. All kick azz speeds in my opinion.

One more important point, I forgot to mention is what a fantastic party River Dave put on.... TopNotch. Big Thank you to Dave and Stacy you guys are awesome.

Last edited:

Duramax

Reaction score
30k is from the West Coast Drives contingent not me.. I’d side bet him another 10 though if he wants on any of the three boats!

He can pick!
Is GT still building the motors? I gotta say, when Greg ran that boat, that fucking thing moved out!! Amazing the speeds he put up, but these aren't anywhere near the power, correct? I thought I read that somewhere.

burtdahurt

Reaction score
they had someone helping with it. Todd was the one setting up the course, etc. Storm wanted 100% control and stopped using Todd. 100% agree, let someone run, beginning to end that can focus 100% of their time on the event and not get stretched too thin.

This is not entirely true. The event coordinators decision to stop "using" todd was not to gain control 100%.

I think people are losing focus on what exactly the "shootout" is. It's NOT a sanctioned drag boat race. It's literally a 100$ add on to your poker run entry that gives participants an opportunity to run their high performance boat at whatever speeds they are comfortable at, on a completely closed course environment. It's not some race course to set world records and/or win millions of dollars!

The fact that these guys ran their boats in less than ideal condition safely, so all the spectators didn't go home empty handed, should be applauded.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out live. Van Wilder

DWC

Reaction score
Well I was the first to run and the speed came back at 126.7 and I said say again. They repeated and I called Jimmie Nichols directly on his cell phone and said Houston we have a problem. I could not claim a number my Simrad clearly had as different.
I came back and heard the next run was 144MPH and the next one was 199.3. I again told race control we have a big problem please check the guns.

NOTE: Funny how no one else called bullshit until days later.

I then was told to take another run and I did and it came back 101.3 and my Simrad had 101 [it does not do fractional speeds]. I said yes to Jimmie and said that it was spot on let's resume the Shootout. I was not going to claim the first run in anyway shape or form. I had no issues running multiple runs in OB format. The same cannot be said for the supercharged boats set on kill as they may only get one or two runs.

All runs after that initial run were spot on plus or minus 1Mph which is normal for Shootout conditions.

Everyone has some type of recall feature on their boat if your speed is in question just post it up. Honestly most speeds called out in the Shootout were generous. What do I mean usually rounded up For Example if you ran 110.9 you got 111MPH. If you ran 101.5 you usually got 101MPH.

I made a lot of runs each one was consistently close to the previous run. I did improve because I hit the starting line harder as most of my runs I was waaaay under the 40MPH start number. So I continued to improve my start speed to get a bigger final number. However, the improvement was minimal at best 2-3MPH better.

I spoke to the organizers and they did deduct 26MPH off the first run for the winner of King of the Desert who had an erroneous reading of 199MPH. It sucks for him because maybe his first run was the best run of the day for his boat. If it was you know damn well I would have taken a photo of the GPS and saved it. The data should be there to quash the nay sayers.

I feel really bad for Cory because he really came to run a monster number and now to have it questioned would hurt my feelings.

Shit happens....I know in the past I ran 116MPH [GPS Confirmed] in my Howard Sportdeck and Jim sr. ended up giving me a 101MPH. I was like I can run that in my sleep. I digress over things in the past. I have volunteered for the Shootout Committee next year and hope it will have zero controversy.

Lastly, I think the time to protest a speed should have been on the day of the Shootout not days later. That is fundamentally unfair and throws shade on a person's shine/accomplishments.

FYI: They had two radar guns at the finish line.

Footnote: LOTO is in August we shall see who shows up and runs what. Cory ran the third fastest MPH at LOTO out of anyone 162MPH. The next fastest was Russell Clay at 168MPH. Followed by Tony Battiato 202MPH. All kick azz speeds in my opinion.

Lastly, I forgot to mention what a fantastic party River Dave put on.... TopNotch. Big Thank you to Dave and Stacy you guys are awesome.
Always great to see you on the boards KAP.. Thanks for the insight.
PS. Any chance that they weren’t ready because they didn’t think there would be a shootout that day? The wind was pretty bad. I was a little surprised when a boat flew by.. Wouldn’t doubt that the Fatal attraction first run was faster. How fast, no clue, but sounded fantastic

Reactions: KAP

East Wood

Reaction score
can somebody post a picture of pred 3 or where I can find more info on this beast of boat everyone keeps mentioning?

Singleton

Reaction score
PS. Any chance that they weren’t ready because they didn’t think there would be a shootout that day? The wind was pretty bad. I was a little surprised when a boat flew by.. Wouldn’t doubt that the Fatal attraction first run was faster. How fast, no clue, but sounded fantastic

the gun was off due to calibration and the angle that was configured. Gun points to spot on land. The gun boat moved, causing the angle to be off in 1 gun. This is what Jimmie said at the awards event.

Reactions: DWC

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
can somebody post a picture of pred 3 or where I can find more info on this beast of boat everyone keeps mentioning?

1619636050091.png

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No target, foot locker or Best Buy in town. Why bother. The Havasu gun stores have some good stuff but F that. Pretty sure that wouldn’t work out.
The estate stuff across from rdp has got all the good shit nobody needs😂 Some kick as 200lb tube tv's and commador64's.

KAP

Reaction score

Well they cleared me to run the course but the finish markers were not even in the correct place due to wind drift. No they were ready but I was told the angle compensation feature on the radar guns was wrong.
In any event the first three runs should have been thrown out period. It would suck if it was your best run but really you don't want someone calling you out in a thread like this one.

We were asked by race control if we wanted to cancel. I was the first one to say nope let's run....in less than ideal conditions wind speeds of 25MPH going into the wind is sure fire way to kite your boat over at speed. I had the smallest and certainly the lightest boat as a participant.

As I told someone else as a driver you need to drive for the conditions and get the best speed you can for your setup. I recall a SBI outboard race in Puerto Rico the avg. speed was 52MPH in monster swells conditions. That speed was huge for those conditions.

I had a lot of fun and could have run 15 passes. I like the fact that I have a controlled environment and can see what I can do in terms of speed for my boat.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
1 mile course vs 3/4 mile.. different motors, etc.. that boat didn’t run 174.. same as it didn’t run in LOTO
If they aren’t the same motors he flat lied to my face up at pirates. I asked if they were the same and or detuned and he said same motors turned back up and was hoping for 180. Hmmm.

DWC

Reaction score
the gun was off due to calibration and the angle that was configured. Gun points to spot on land. The gun boat moved, causing the angle to be off in 1 gun. This is what Jimmie said at the awards event.
Interesting. I didn’t know that’s how radar works. Figured it measured movement in relation to how fast the vehicle with the gun was moving. Didn’t know there was base location tracking. I helped at the last Billy B event and there a ton of issues of boat traffic heading through the traps.
It’s a bummer for any of the event to end this way. The Storm team are good people. I’m sure it’s nothing malicious. A judgment mistake that compounded and turned into some hurt feelings. Honestly, just glad they ended up running the shootout. I’m sure they learned from past times where they cancelled due to wind forecasts. Another couple adjustments and they’ll dial it in.
I’m not sure what they net on the whole deal. Gotta be close to not being worth the hassle.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

Not sure what equipment they are using... but I’m a tad familiar with radar use for speed, and this makes zero sense as a reason the speeds were off. [emoji2371][emoji2371]

DWC

Reaction score
Well they cleared me to run the course but the finish markers were not even in the correct place due to wind drift. No they were ready but I was told the angle compensation feature on the radar guns was wrong.
In any event the first three runs should have been thrown out period. It would suck if it was your best run but really you don't want someone calling you out in a thread like this one.

We were asked by race control if we wanted to cancel. I was the first one to say nope let's run....in less than ideal conditions wind speeds of 25MPH going into the wind is sure fire way to kite your boat over at speed. I had the smallest and certainly the lightest boat as a participant.

As I told someone else as a driver you need to drive for the conditions and get the best speed you can for your setup. I recall a SBI outboard race in Puerto Rico the avg. speed was 52MPH in monster swells conditions. That speed was huge for those conditions.

I had a lot of fun and could have run 15 passes. I like the fact that I have a controlled environment and can see what I can do in terms of speed for my boat.
Kudos to you and everyone else that decided to run. The head wind at the start seemed calm vs the cross wind towards the end. Gotta be a little unnerving at 100+. I can feel a huge difference at 60ish when I’m heading into the wind on a normal day on the lake. That’s in a heavy ass deck boat that doesn’t have near the power to weight ratio, a bbq, 10 chairs, 2 anchors, spike and full sound system.

Rye

Reaction score
Didn't this same exact Eliminator run in the high 170's at the shootout in 2009? Why is it so far fetched that it did it again?

Still probably the baddest boating video ever made!

That is a cool video! 👍👍 Thanks for posting it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not sure what equipment they are using... but I’m a tad familiar with radar use for speed, and this makes zero sense as a reason the speeds were off. [emoji2371][emoji2371]

I was hoping for your input here :)

Singleton

Reaction score

i have no idea how it works, just sharing what Jimmie said at the awards event Saturday night

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
They should just use a GPS tracker that they assign to each boat or hand out before the pass to log the speed

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Didn't this same exact Eliminator run in the high 170's at the shootout in 2009? Why is it so far fetched that it did it again?

Still probably the baddest boating video ever made!

I think they need faster chase helo's.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Epic call out thread...
Having raced, mostly unsanctioned, pride and ego is a driving force. That said, finding 10-15mph is no easy feat. To lose that much is easy, but usually a reason to be back on the trailer. If, IF, the sled ran that number the first pass, then dropped significantly the next pass, that would imply something was hurt. If that was the case, hatches would be up, or something, and maybe no more passes made.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This is not entirely true. The event coordinators decision to stop "using" todd was not to gain control 100%.

I think people are losing focus on what exactly the "shootout" is. It's NOT a sanctioned drag boat race. It's literally a 100$ add on to your poker run entry that gives participants an opportunity to run their high performance boat at whatever speeds they are comfortable at, on a completely closed course environment. It's not some race course to set world records and/or win millions of dollars!

The fact that these guys ran their boats in less than ideal condition safely, so all the spectators didn't go home empty handed, should be applauded.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out live. Van Wilder

Agreed.

Like I said.. it is a fun run for bragging rights, not a race.

copterzach

Reaction score
1st world issue.
I went through convenience drive thru for chicken flavor Top Ramen for our chinese chicken salad dinner we were making and instead they brought me a damn Cup-a-Noodles. Somehow I managed.

You sir are a fighter. Keep
Fighting the good fight. You got this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Epic call out thread...
Having raced, mostly unsanctioned, pride and ego is a driving force. That said, finding 10-15mph is no easy feat. To lose that much is easy, but usually a reason to be back on the trailer. If, IF, the sled ran that number the first pass, then dropped significantly the next pass, that would imply something was hurt. If that was the case, hatches would be up, or something, and maybe no more passes made.
Very true about pride and I totally get it.
However, I've never seen the outcome of a game changed even when refs admit to making bad calls. Elections either😖😏

burtdahurt

Reaction score
Agreed.

Like I said.. it is a fun run for bragging rights, not a race.

👐👐I have been trying to say this forever... If there was big $$$ on the line... Spirit of Quatar, American Ethanol, Low A would have been fighting for a chance to blaze the course. At the end of the day it's all for entertainment purposes.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very true about pride and I totally get it.
However, I've never seen the outcome of a game changed even when refs admit to making bad calls. Elections either😖😏
Very true. If I were the guy, I'd be scraping every penny and getting the boat dialed in to run 180.

Or...

Figuring out how to hack a Simrad to post those numbers 😂

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
1st world issue.
I went through convenience drive thru for chicken flavor Top Ramen for our chinese chicken salad dinner we were making and instead they brought me a damn Cup-a-Noodles. Somehow I managed.
So true!
"I'll bet you $30,000, which is more than some people make in year, that my Million Dollar boat is faster than your Million Dollar boat so we can find out who can actually brag about an event that usually gets cancelled due to winds over 15 mph." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
And honestly, we know both boats are faster than most, I'd be more impressed with who can post a picture of more topless babes on their boat.👍 Isn't that why we all got into boating in the first place?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So true!
"I'll bet you $30,000, which is more than some people make in year, that my Million Dollar boat is faster than your Million Dollar boat so we can find out who can actually brag about an event that usually gets cancelled due to winds over 15 mph." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Aside from an asterisk being put in the results not much else will happen.
A rerun might alter bragging rights or confirm them but conditions would be 100% different. Like the baboon in Lion King said: "it's in the past" with a stick whack to the head.
And btw, chinese chicken salad with corn in it is not normal😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And honestly, we know both boats are faster than most, I'd be more impressed with who can post a picture of more topless babes on their boat.👍 Isn't that why we all got into boating in the first place?

No. We go boating to see who can go 176 MPH.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It is, however the manufacturer will use the info for their marekting purposes. Eliminator has begun to so on social media.

Sure, that is well within their marketing rights to do so.. I'm sure Eliminator will capitalize on this big win :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So true!

$30K is more than the people in the sweatshops making iPhones make in a lifetime.. but you only brag about AAPL's stock price 😂

Last edited:

bluebleeder

Reaction score
I'm about about an hour away from the Texas Outlaw Shootout. I volunteer for full coverage including boat owner interviews if someone could get me into the event.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk