WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Bridge In LB Harbor

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Took Pops for a little outing . . . fishin in LB / LA Harbor this am . . . saw that new bridge completed.

New one in the foreground, old one in the background. Pretty impressive.
IMG_9591.jpeg

Ended the day boating up to the 'Chowder Barge' way in the back of LA Harbor for lunch . . . unbelievably good chowder.
Pops said it was the best he's ever had.

Always fun boating / fishing with Pops. :)🇺🇲

IMG_9599.jpeg

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
That looks great! I'm considering bringing my boat out for the ski race this year and will look for the new bridge if I get there.

I've probably boated in LB Harbor 100 times, but have never heard of the Chowder Barge - It looks great! Do they have docks available?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
That looks great! I'm considering bringing my boat out for the ski race this year and will look for the new bridge if I get there.

I've probably boated in LB Harbor 100 times, but have never heard of the Chowder Barge - It looks great! Do they have docks available?
Yes . . . there is 1 that's reserved with a sign "For Chowder Barge customers only".
It's an end-tie and it's very small . . . maybe 40 feet in total length.
But every time I've been there it's been wide open . . . knock on wood LOL . . .
(Edit) they only have a beer /wine license, but they make a bloody mary with that 'Rice Wine' . . .'Soju' I think it's called??? It's really good . . . the first time I had it , the thing really creeped up on me LOL.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I’ve been threatening to go down there. So 1 end tie. Launch out of Cabrillo? Fishin for...?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I’ve been threatening to go down there. So 1 end tie. Launch out of Cabrillo? Fishin for...?
Yes, it's way in the back . . a lot of 'Live-a-boards' or as they jokingly call it, 'Section 8 Housing' LOL.
We launched out of Davies in Alamitos Bay. (Free Wash-down Water) . . . there's no wash down at Cabrillo, but it's closer.
South Shores in LB can be sketchy w/ vagrants, ramp is super steep, slippery, and the place is filthy. (free wash-down there though)
Huntington Harbor is 'ok' . . . but wash-down is $2.00 (in quarters only) be careful it only lasts around 5 minutes at most. . . . and the machine often eats your quarters.
We just fish for calico bass, sand bass, and spotted bay bass with real light gear & lures . . . all catch and release . . . fish are probably toxic as can be, but it's fun.
Pops got this little spotty. . . they pull hard for their size
_DSC8303.JPG

Last edited:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Yes . . . there is 1 that's reserved with a sign "For Chowder Barge customers only".
It's an end-tie and it's very small . . . maybe 40 feet in total length.
But every time I've been there it's been wide open . . . knock on wood LOL . . .
(Edit) they only have a beer /wine license, but they make a bloody mary with that 'Rice Wine' . . .'Soju' I think it's called??? It's really good . . . the first time I had it , the thing really creeped up on me LOL.

Thanks! It sounds like a great hidden spot. Is the dock at the end of the finger where the chowder barge is? Looking at google maps I think I see it

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Looks like a great day. I haven't been to the Chowder Barge in probably 30 yrs. I didn't know they were still here, guess I have to make a trip down.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks! It sounds like a great hidden spot. Is the dock at the end of the finger where the chowder barge is? Looking at google maps I think I see it
Yep, that's it . . . the story I was told was that it was originally used to feed actors/ movie crew during filming of some movie being shot out on the water. They had it anchored out there somewhere to save time shuttling people back to land for lunch breaks. When the shoot was over it got drug back to Berth 55 and sat there for years, till the current owner bought it and put it where it currently is. It's under the 'Limited Capacity' dining non-sense right now . . . inside was full, so we ate outside (3-4 tables) . . . but the inside is really cool , nothing 'fancy' but kept really clean, nautical theme etc. . i could be totally wrong on the history . . . just what I was told.
Funny thing ... I told my Dad, "if you paid me $100 to turn off the navigation in my truck and try to find this place by land, there's no way in hell I could".

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I am so jealous... lived abroad in that area for eight years ..:I have recently seen the new bridge you are right very impressive... I could be mistaken but I have heard that the chowder barge was moved from the Wilmington Long Beach border area to more up into Wilmington..,am I wrong???... have driven to the chowder barge and boated to the chowder barge... the chowder was always tops...On a par with fisherman’s wharf in San Francisco...
...Took a friend of mine out to the breakwater where he fished for rock cod for hours... he caught nothing...lol...
... I am so tempted to hop in my car right now make the run from North Hollywood to Wilmington???...

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
... I am so jealous... lived abroad in that area for eight years ..:I have recently seen the new bridge you are right very impressive... I could be mistaken but I have heard that the chowder barge was moved from the Wilmington Long Beach border area to more up into Wilmington..,am I wrong???... have driven to the chowder barge and boated to the chowder barge... the chowder was always tops...On a par with fisherman’s wharf in San Francisco...
...Took a friend of mine out to the breakwater where he fished for rock cod for hours... he caught nothing...lol...
... I am so tempted to hop in my car right now make the run from North Hollywood to Wilmington???...
Yes, you are right . . . it's about as far as you can go back in the LA Harbor Channel . . . off Henry Ford Road I think it's called.
I've never driven there, I've always boated in.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Yep, that's it . . . the story I was told was that it was originally used to feed actors/ movie crew during filming of some movie being shot out on the water. They had it anchored out there somewhere to save time shuttling people back to land for lunch breaks. When the shoot was over it got drug back to Berth 55 and sat there for years, till the current owner bought it and put it where it currently is. It's under the 'Limited Capacity' dining non-sense right now . . . inside was full, so we ate outside (3-4 tables) . . . but the inside is really cool , nothing 'fancy' but kept really clean, nautical theme etc. . i could be totally wrong on the history . . . just what I was told.
Funny thing ... I told my Dad, "if you paid me $100 to turn off the navigation in my truck and try to find this place by land, there's no way in hell I could".
...I could be mistaken but if the chowder barge is where I think it is...by land it would be Anaheim Street in Wilmington to Henry Ford Avenue head towards the water and it’s off to the right somewhere..,Possibly by the first Marina that you see...maybe???...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
...I could be mistaken but if the chowder barge is where I think it is...by land it would be Anaheim Street in Wilmington to Henry Ford Avenue head towards the water and it’s off to the right somewhere..,Possibly by the first Marina that you see...maybe???...
Yep...back there in the Leeward Bay Marina

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yep, you nailed it . . . tons of trains going by right there . . . never seen so many . . . the Henry Ford Draw Bridge had trains going back and fourth all day.
Tide was high around 1:00 . . we lowered the antenna down and barely fit under it . . . kind of un-nerving going under a bridge while a freight train is going over you only 5-6 feet over your head! LOL

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Yep...back there in the Leeward Bay Marina
...Leeward Bay that’s the marina I was trying to come up with...
...One of our drinking buddies at the 36 club in Long Beach...had a Catalina 20 sailboat berthed in Leeward Bay...we patched a hole in the front for him and ...I can’t remember if we did a linear polyurethane Awl Grip paint job on it...???
...1980-ish was a long time ago and the chowder barge definitely was not there at that time...

badgas

Reaction score
Yes, it's way in the back . . a lot of 'Live-a-boards' or as they jokingly call it, 'Section 8 Housing' LOL.
We launched out of Davies in Alamitos Bay. (Free Wash-down Water) . . . there's no wash down at Cabrillo, but it's closer.
South Shores in LB can be sketchy w/ vagrants, ramp is super steep, slippery, and the place is filthy. (free wash-down there though)
Huntington Harbor is 'ok' . . . but wash-down is $2.00 (in quarters only) be careful it only lasts around 5 minutes at most. . . . and the machine often eats your quarters.
We just fish for calico bass, sand bass, and spotted bay bass with real light gear & lures . . . all catch and release . . . fish are probably toxic as can be, but it's fun.
Pops got this little spotty. . . they pull hard for their size
View attachment 992998

Good Fun !

Sounds like a great day, Spotties are fun to catch.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I looked it up. Support barge for Mutiny on the Bounty. I have to make my way down there, I love these hidden kitschy places.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I looked it up. Support barge for Mutiny on the Bounty. I have to make my way down there, I love these hidden kitschy places.
...Did where you looked that up say anything about the chowder barge 40 years ago being at a different location???...

... just looked up the history and yes indeed it previously was at something like the end of 7th street in Long Beach...
... I don’t remember it being as big as it appears to be in the photos???..,

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
26AAE5C3-978E-4123-A1F1-EC5801A86E5B.jpeg

Pretty good. Chowder is very buttery and lots of bacon. Clam strips on top, tender.If you’re in the area cool little place

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Did you guys watch Homecoming on Amazon with Julia Roberts? True story me and my fishing buddy ate at this place on a sunday afternoon of slow fishing a while back and literally two days later I start watching Homecoming and I got a kick out this place being used for a lot of the scenes. In one of the scenes, the customer died in restraunt if I remember correctly.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
404ECDDA-87E2-4528-A9A5-596101347FB3.jpeg

Of course effer train stops right on crossing! FM

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score

I think the correct dock to use is not at the end but the spot right next to land where the restaraunt entrance is. We parked at the end at first and then I asked the hostess and we ended up moving the boat. I don't think it much more than a 30ft slip