WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to hire people... wtf

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
My Son 23 ( who lives at home ) had his construction job get put on hold for few months he went out and made $1,000+ a week driving with Uber eats and his girlfriend ( also lives with her parents ) was making $1,000-$1,200 per week grocery shopping with instacart. In our house you are not allowed to just NOT work. From what I see it is not the kids living at home. My kids know other young people with 4-5 of them renting a house and nobody has a job they are all on the Gov tit and have zero guidance.

This BS needs to get cut off and at minimun you should be getting drug tested to collect UE. You have to pass drug test to go work to buy other poeples drugs and rent ?

So Sad, in this country you can be totally average and stand out as good option for an employer : (

I feel for you business owners.

Just curious. If I am being force to purchase Unemployment Insurance why would I need to have a drug test when I’ve been laid off from my job due to lack of work to collect? Unemployment is not Welfare.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Man you sure are defensive and accusative.
No wonder you can’t get anyone to work for you.
Instead of listening with an open mind to different opinions you are set on your beliefs.

I have ran business and I have owned business.
Guess why I don’t anymore? Because it is easier to go work for someone else and let them have the stress of making ends meet and I’m pocketing nearly the same pay.

BTW Midwest don’t mean shit. I looked at moving to the Midwest. It’s not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.
The wages in the Midwest are half what they are here and the only thing the Midwest has that is half priced are the houses

$15hr is a good starting wage but you better have room for growth up to 70-100k or the good ones will leave.

I think allot of that is because of government hand outs but mostly parenting is the biggest problem.

Being a business owner sucks and I feel for you.

Lol. Ok man. I have a strong current workforce and a successful company. There are struggles at times. Unemployment benefits are the current one. There are employers And employees. Two different mindsets. I could never work for someone. I was looking for opinions from actual business owners in today’s current market.I grew up on the West Coast, have been many places in this country and outside the country. It is cheaper to live in the Midwest.

badgas

Reaction score
My 25-year old neighbor is a 2nd year LA County Sheriff jailer , with a stay at home wife, making about $70K and they bought a house in Riverside for $400K. It can be done.

😩This is why I hope my kids get out of so cal.

Your neighbor has a LOT of house for that income. Assume he had $40,000 to put down and has a 30 year mortgage of $1,500.00 per month, $400 property taxes, $100 insurance and $300 in utilities. That is $2,300, He is probably bringing home $4500.00 after taxes. Half of his take home pay is locked up in the house. By the time they buy food diapers car expenses cell phones blah blah blad they do not have any margin. I know we all start somewhere and IF they keep thier lifestyle the same when they get pay increases then they will create a bigger margin. Feel bad for the young ones starting out.

nowski

Reaction score
What's your skillset?

Welder, Machinist, Engineer, Trophy Husband.

My new position doesn't pay anything, however before I took on this new career I took care of business...

It's going to take a little more than (as noted by op) $15 an hour for me to make another career change...

Please make any and all serious offers after boating season...

RaceTec

Reaction score
I can't find good people for anything!!! Even if I offer higher wages no one wants to work!
I have another front office girl coming into apply today... I always need someone to help me, must know SolidWorks, I can teach you pistons...

No one under 30 wants to earn their money, they all think they can be on social media and make money for nothing... Not to mention that racing is a dying industry...

badgas

Reaction score
Just curious. If I am being force to purchase Unemployment Insurance why would I need to have a drug test when I’ve been laid off from my job due to lack of work to collect? Unemployment is not Welfare.

It is WAY beyond welfare when the fed was pumping $600 per week on top of some guys UE benefit. You had kids that only qualified for $50-$80 bucks per month and were getting $650-$680 a week with the kicker. My point was that those funds should not be going out for weed and booze, They should be for food and shelter. Just because you are not abusing the system there are thousands that are.

petie6464

Reaction score

My new position doesn't pay anything, however before I took on this new career I took care of business...

It's going to take a little more than (as noted by op) $15 an hour for me to make another career change...

Welder/Machinist: Used JB weld to patch a sink drain and drilled a hole in a piece of wood for a child's project.

Engineer: Once got plastic Daihatsu bumper to stay on with some duct tape and a zip tie.

Trophy Husband: Shampoos his crotch on a monthly basis.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My 25-year old neighbor is a 2nd year LA County Sheriff jailer , with a stay at home wife, making about $70K and they bought a house in Riverside for $400K. It can be done.

My just turned 18-year old daughter makes $15/hr for a little mom and pop coffee company.

As stated - $14...really (in SoCal)?

--------------------

I was an employee for 10 yrs, business owner for 10 years, and self-employed for 10 years.

Now I am an employee again and I gotta tell ya - I am happy as a pig in shit. :)
That Deputy can pull $120k total easily this year with O/T If he wants to.
Once he passes patrol school he can come back and work O/T in jails and courts.
$150-170k is not hard to do with 5 years in and especially with hardly anyone replacing the retirees.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sounds like he needs to get out of California. From what you describe, he's going to be entry level in whatever position he goes for. $30/hr for entry level, even if he was a marine, is beyond excessive. Entry level just about anywhere will NOT be able to buy a house on. He will need to get established and grow in a position to increase his value and get to the pay level to afford a house.

This is the bottom line of an employee...... your job, no matter the position or trade, is to make your boss' job easier. All the way up the food chain. Coming in as an unproven asset with little to no experience means you are already putting a burden on your boss to train you to at least fit in and gel with the company. As the boss' oversight and training decrease and you, the employee, begin to execute on your own, your value begins to increase. Weather that be exponentially or gradually, THAT is when it starts. Not when you walk in the door with "Hard worker" typed onto your resume.

You have serious self value issues, someone has brainwashed you into judging your worth as lesser.

The only person who can value your TIME is yourself.

Every industry is different, for instance I'd laugh at a $30 an hour position, 30 years of experience, BSC and ASC Mastertech certified, I have 200k in hand tools alone, much less testing and specialty sets like pullers/jigs/cam-crank alignment sets etc. No fucking way am I busting my ass for some underpaying wanker....

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
My business has 85 open positions. Hourly positions starting at $15. All different types of work and shifts. We don’t have the application flow to fill them. People in this pay range don’t want to work. This unemployment bullshit needs to be cut off. God damn government tit. There are plenty of jobs out there.

For the people on here with available jobs and trying to hire, what are you experiencing?

No real issue with higher level salaried positions. We’ve picked up a few great hires on that level.

I have a working 17 year old with 6 months work experience, reliable transportation and willing to work 30 hours per week that can’t even get a fast food business to give him an interview because he is under 18. If any of the inmates are looking for a responsible right minded individual with a strong work ethic and attention to detail near San Clemente send me a PM and I will have him send you his resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
Unless they put a boat load down, they are going to be hurting and working to live for quite a while. I was in a similar position making moderately more. Bought a house for $315k, thought I was set, then reality set in. I was lucky that I was able to short sale the house and move to AZ before we lost everything. We were close. And we didn't have a car payment or major credit cards.

Nah, the kid is conservative and got his foot in the door with the job and I'm sure with pay increases he'll be just fine.

I took a State position and right now I'm only making $60K (COVID pay reduction of $9,500/yr). Granted, I bought my home 20+ years ago (mortgage is $1400) but we also maintain a second parcel of land, 3 horses/goats, and $1K in private tuition. Wife earns about the same, so that's $120K gross and we live a decent lifestyle.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I have a working 17 year old with 6 months work experience, reliable transportation and willing to work 30 hours per week that can’t even get a fast food business to give him an interview because he is under 18. If any of the inmates are looking for a responsible right minded individual with a strong work ethic and attention to detail near San Clemente send me a PM and I will have him send you his resume.

If he was closer to HB I would in a heartbeat!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It is WAY beyond welfare when the fed was pumping $600 per week on top of some guys UE benefit. You had kids that only qualified for $50-$80 bucks per month and were getting $650-$680 a week with the kicker. My point was that those funds should not be going out for weed and booze, They should be for food and shelter. Just because you are not abusing the system there are thousands that are.

Not that I do drugs, but I don't think the root problem in todays worker shortage is drug addition. The problem is the Far Left in Washington D.C. who knew 6 weeks ago that we were coming out of the Plandemic Lockdown but insisted on extending Federal Unemployment Insurance payments thru September, 2021. Jao has basically created a faux employment problem to push his agenda of Open Borders to allow Illegal Aliens coming into our country with an artificial worker shortage. This is all to extend power to the Democratic Party when he grants them all Amnesty before the 2024 election. It's am Insidious Plan!!!

nowski

Reaction score
I can't find good people for anything!!! Even if I offer higher wages no one wants to work!
I have another front office girl coming into apply today... I always need someone to help me, must know SolidWorks, I can teach you pistons...

No one under 30 wants to earn their money, they all think they can be on social media and make money for nothing... Not to mention that racing is a dying industry...

My new position (Trophy Husband) doesn't require any CAD experience so to be honest with you I'm a little rusty...

Attachments

• PXL_20210430_160611320.jpg
    PXL_20210430_160611320.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20210430_160822088.jpg
    PXL_20210430_160822088.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210430_160907811.jpg
    PXL_20210430_160907811.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210430_161029773.jpg
    PXL_20210430_161029773.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20210430_161246665.jpg
    PXL_20210430_161246665.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210430_162232219-1.jpg
    PXL_20210430_162232219-1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 59

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Same, read the thread. Not everyone on rdp lives on the west coast. I’m in the Midwest. $15 is a good starting point, first job to get some experience. It also could be a second job for some to earn extra cash and make ends meet. Amazon is at that rate for warehouse workers in most parts of the country.

Unless you’re an employer this shit doesn’t apply to you. You don’t have first hand experience.

I'll tell ya, CA has really warped reality for a lot of people, probably not even their fault just the bubble they live in.

In the midwest you can buy a decent house for around 100k, even less in many places. That's like a $500 mortgage....

A complete house, with a nice yard, small detached garage.... If you have a room mate you could essentially have them paying your mortgage.

I don't have any employees thankfully, have lots of friends that do. All they do is put out fires caused by the employees all day. Makes me perfectly content to not have any, even on days when i have to do low skill grunt work.

Good luck on your search, maybe you can get some leads from current employees freshly HS graduated kids. There are some out there that want to work, you just have to find them, that is the hard part.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I got the I cant make it, I have a flat tire and my spare is flat too excess for about the 5th time this month. I am so tired of hearing that shit.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

I had same issue 34 years ago. Ended up cleaning up worksites for a small contractor: home remodel stuff. Was making decent money for HS age and learned a few things in framing being around it. Check with small contractors, I’d think they could use help with how busy they are.

I worked 8 months for a mobile detailer at 19, invested about $2k in equipment and went off on my own. Paid for CSUF tuition making $50k a year 88’ - 91’

There is work out there for 16-17 year olds, just harder to find it now in so cal.

NicPaus

Reaction score
You know, its got to be one of those union guys who climb the poles....
That money is only in CA where Unions rule...
Was going to say probably SCE. Friend just got into that 2 years ago at most. 3 years ago he could not afford rent. Now he bought a 83k truck. I asked him what has changed. Said he made 240k last year. Not bad for a 2nd year employee.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Was going to say probably SCE. Friend just got into that 2 years ago at most. 3 years ago he could not afford rent. Now he bought a 83k truck. I asked him what has changed. Said he made 240k last year. Not bad for a 2nd year employee.

That's crazy money I think for that, but good for them to get it. No wonder the electric bill keeps going up... I'm going to need to add more solar panels soon.

badgas

Reaction score
Not that I do drugs, but I don't think the root problem in todays worker shortage is drug addition. The problem is the Far Left in Washington D.C. who knew 6 weeks ago that we were coming out of the Plandemic Lockdown but insisted on extending Federal Unemployment Insurance payments thru September, 2021. Jao has basically created a faux employment problem to push his agenda of Open Borders to allow Illegal Aliens coming into our country with an artificial worker shortage. This is all to extend power to the Democratic Party when he grants them all Amnesty before the 2024 election. It's am Insidious Plan!!!

HB

I don't disagree with you.

But I still think people getting free $$ should be drug tested. My son has to test clean for his construction job and he has acquaintances who sit home and smoke weed on the taxpayer dime. That was the point I was trying to make.

Good times

707dog

Reaction score
slim pickings for anyone in most age groups who wants to bust ass to make a buck and work there way up. use to be ass's n elbows to get it done now its vape and tick tock while on the clock. got buddy's with auto shops, body shops, home remodels and a stair case shop. all are slammed to the moon raised their prices, phones still ringing all day and cant find any help so they are passing up on jobs.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Always the same employee mindset; " I need to make more."

In 40 years as an employer I had one laborer come to me with his own documentation as to what he produced when he hired on and what he was producing now thus justifying a pay increase. I don't recall what he asked for but I gave him a little more than he requested.

From what I here now is people don't even show up and still ask for a pay raise. .🤡
I did this at the second and last boat shop I worked at that wasn't my own. I asked the boss (owner) if I could take him to lunch. He asked but prolly new what was up but gladly went, hell an employee taking the boss to lunch let's go. I asked for what I thought was fair and after our patty melts and beers, he said NO. He came back at twice of what I asked.
All one needs to do to get a raise and have job security is to do good work ,that the boss DOESN'T have to worry about. The only thing he should worry about is retaining you. Now this ALL has prolly changed dramatically over the years since I did it but I don't see where it wouldn't work today.
This was way before all this HR BULLSHIT. Back in my day you walked in, told the boss you could do the job better, give me a try and if what you said was the truth, bingo you get the job!!!!!!!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
1/4 of a MILLION dollars a year. Fock me, I was born WAY to early!!!!!

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
This has to be industry specific cause I’ve had one hell of a time breaking into the water industry. I’ve even applied to positions where I’d take a significant pay cut like being a meter reader or general construction worker just to get my foot in the door and no dice.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
comical how $14-15 and hour min wage for an entry level job is scoffed at.

This is frickin entry level / damn near no skill set / you are being trained. Sorry but a position like that barely deserves that pay.... nobody cares if you want to have a smart phone w/ data or your latte's. Wtf has happened to people.

CA is a bubble of failure and debt.... peoples minds get warped with bloated unemployment benefits and wild union gigs funded by tax payer dollars. Yet most the people working these gigs complain about their taxes.

Last edited:

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
There are employers And employees. Two different mindsets.
I think I get your predicament. Retired 9 years (was 55) I was only ever an employee, so I can't directly relate to your leadership and responsibility burdens, but I can tell you that over the years I did develop a perspective that was most useful. Many of my coworkers would bitch and moan about the boss or the pain of being an employee with their (little) problems to fix.

One program manager made it simple for me once...he said: the company has problems and they pay you to come here and help fix them, and you willingly assist.

From there I also developed a personal value proposition, such that, on interviewing for my final job a VP asks while he had me to himself about my view on job security...I point to my heart and tell him "My job security is in here" then point beyond his shoulder "not out there somewhere".

Lastly, when my coworkers would raise a particular stink, I would bring it home for them: "You know, your boss, he has a job here just like you, and he is part of management...but it is a job, and he has to watch over you and all of his charges, and his boss holds him responsible for all of you, and his boss's boss does the same to him, and right up the line to the CEO, who answers to shareholders AND stakeholders, of which you are but one"

I wish you luck in your quest...it is a good problem to have...too much opportunity. Let me know if you need a hand. PM with a website or position listing.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
We were in Havasu for 12 days and have never seen so many "help wanted" posters! They were EVERYWHERE!! Freakin' drive though at McDonalds said basic positions starts at $14 an hour!

No lack of positions all across the service industry in Havasu (stores, retailers, food, bars, etc). crazy.

WYRD

Reaction score
That's crazy money I think for that, but good for them to get it. No wonder the electric bill keeps going up... I'm going to need to add more solar panels soon.
Sce is backed by corporate welfare so they don't give a crap how high the wage is....tax/rate payers will always foot the bill

lbhsbz

Reaction score
comical how $14-15 and hour min wage for an entry level job is scoffed at.

This is frickin entry level / damn near no skill set / you are being trained. Sorry but a position like that barely deserves that pay.... nobody cares if you want to have a smart phone w/ data or your latte's. Wtf has happened to people.

CA is a bubble of failure and debt.... peoples mids get warped with bloated unemployment benefits and wild union gigs funded by tax payer dollars. Yet most the people working these gigs complain about their taxes.
Here's an example....we have a warehouse with probably 100 warehouse workers in it. Pulling orders, moving pallets around, etc...it is "entry level" non-skilled work. All you have to be able to do is sort of read and count to 20 without taking your shoes off. We pay minimum wage for these positions, and the guys don't care. They don't care if they pull orders wrong, short order, put stuff in the wrong place so nobody can find it, etc. Some might say this is a starting point job...but where will they progress from there? There are probably 10 positions that they can progress to from that point within the company, but those positions are already filled by people who are good at their job and get paid pretty well for it, so that "entry level" job has no real place to go. If they take their experience elsewhere, they'll be qualified to be a warehouse worker and eligeble for a minimum wage warehouse job with the same lack of advancement opportunities. I would probably reclassify this is from "entry level" to "low skill". You're not paying them for their skills, but you have to pay them enough to care and retain them...otherwise they'll go to another industry where they can advance, and you're left with morons who don't care all over again.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
HB

I don't disagree with you.

But I still think people getting free $$ should be drug tested. My son has to test clean for his construction job and he has acquaintances who sit home and smoke weed on the taxpayer dime. That was the point I was trying to make.

Good times

I've been drug tested for every job for the last 20 years. When they start testing Welfare Queens then maybe there can be a discussion about testing the Unemployed? FYI - Weed will be federally legal within the next 3 years so you can throw that baby out with the bath water, lol.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Here's an example....we have a warehouse with probably 100 warehouse workers in it. Pulling orders, moving pallets around, etc...it is "entry level" non-skilled work. All you have to be able to do is sort of read and count to 20 without taking your shoes off. We pay minimum wage for these positions, and the guys don't care. They don't care if they pull orders wrong, short order, put stuff in the wrong place so nobody can find it, etc. Some might say this is a starting point job...but where will they progress from there? There are probably 10 positions that they can progress to from that point within the company, but those positions are already filled by people who are good at their job and get paid pretty well for it, so that "entry level" job has no real place to go. If they take their experience elsewhere, they'll be qualified to be a warehouse worker and eligeble for a minimum wage warehouse job with the same lack of advancement opportunities. I would probably reclassify this is from "entry level" to "low skill". You're not paying them for their skills, but you have to pay them enough to care and retain them...otherwise they'll go to another industry where they can advance, and you're left with morons who don't care all over again.
At minimum wage... employees don't care like lbhsbz says... there is a careful balance as to paying someone just enough for them to fear getting shit canned and over paying for value of an employee.. and usually, in my opinion/experience you have to over pay an employee for that position security, if it takes $ to train and retain.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

wallnutz

Reaction score
The other thing that sucks being an employer in the construction industry, other companies scabbing your good employees. I have had to give raises to guys that didn't really deserve them in order to get jobs done. They know they have you by the balls. A couple times guys have come to me and told me they were offered more to move over. I simply tell them the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side and if they choose to leave they will not be welcomed back.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Nope, its the people you have working...Why don't you do a test and pay 2 of them 2x the amount and see if the mistakes keep happening...or their don't care attitude changes. I think you will be surprised it doesn't... They employee needs to take pride in his or hers work and when that shows the money comes at any position. But all positions have a capt wage.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

I think this problem is more of a societal shift.... People used to care about doing their jobs right, regardless of what position they were in.

1. that was their job
2. that is the only way you ever climb the ladder

now most people in this range DGAF, because they balance working for it VS. just getting a free phone, subsidized rent, subsidized utilities, food stamps, extended unemployment etc. It is not that they are worth more than 15/hr..... the govt has screwed they system, just like they always do

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I'll tell ya, CA has really warped reality for a lot of people, probably not even their fault just the bubble they live in.

In the midwest you can buy a decent house for around 100k, even less in many places. That's like a $500 mortgage....

A complete house, with a nice yard, small detached garage.... If you have a room mate you could essentially have them paying your mortgage.

I don't have any employees thankfully, have lots of friends that do. All they do is put out fires caused by the employees all day. Makes me perfectly content to not have any, even on days when i have to do low skill grunt work.

Good luck on your search, maybe you can get some leads from current employees freshly HS graduated kids. There are some out there that want to work, you just have to find them, that is the hard part.

Agreed. I’m familiar with the bubble. I grew up in it. Still have friends in it. You don’t realize it until you move out of California. When you live in California you think the world revolves around your bubble... nothing else really exists, everyone else is “backwards”, why would anyone live elsewhere Cali is where it’s at! Crazy but it’s the deal.

You’re spot on with the housing. I own many homes that we rent out. I bough them all right at or just above the 100k purchase price. Good places in safe hoods with good schools.

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
I took my time away from my old job to build new skills. We did a lot of contract work for school districts and that all went away with Covid.

I went and got my NCCCO crane certs for fixed cab and swing cab cranes and a commercial CDL with no restrictions.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
BULLSHIT
They’ll take advantage of you as long as they can.

I should have stated “for many successful small businesses”. Not all, but certainly some of the better ones.

But generally I totally agree with you.
Corporate American doesn’t give a rat’s ass about anyone but shareholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You have serious self value issues, someone has brainwashed you into judging your worth as lesser.

The only person who can value your TIME is yourself.

Every industry is different, for instance I'd laugh at a $30 an hour position, 30 years of experience, BSC and ASC Mastertech certified, I have 200k in hand tools alone, much less testing and specialty sets like pullers/jigs/cam-crank alignment sets etc. No fucking way am I busting my ass for some underpaying wanker....
Where does anything I said indicate anything about how I value myself and my time? Everything I wrote was basic employer/employee relationship stuff and mostly aimed towards the entry level positions.

I would never take a job in the HVAC industry near $30/hr at this point either since I have been doing it for over 15 years and have a resume most managers drool over.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

badgas

Reaction score
I've been drug tested for every job for the last 20 years. When they start testing Welfare Queens then maybe there can be a discussion about testing the Unemployed? FYI - Weed will be federally legal within the next 3 years so you can throw that baby out with the bath water, lol.

Yeah I could care less about whether it is legal or not and IMO it should be.

The money should be for necessities untill you get back to work not so you can get high and be couch potato.

77charger

Reaction score
I know my old boss is struggling to find help its bad enough normally.I gave him like 7 months notice too.My brother does same work he cant find anyone either.I do my brothers az stuff when it comes up and now my old boss calls me to see if i can work so at times i go back to so cal for a week but now he is paying me double and cash to be there.I can also head down and work for my brother too if he has a guy out or feel like working more.

Dont mind doing this for now as i dont really need to work full time anymore and i can kind of work as i please 1 week on 2 off or whatever.I usually stay at my moms which is 5 minutes from both companies then come home and golf hit the lake or fish.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nope, its the people you have working...Why don't you do a test and pay 2 of them 2x the amount and see if the mistakes keep happening...or their don't care attitude changes. I think you will be surprised it doesn't... They employee needs to take pride in his or hers work and when that shows the money comes at any position. But all positions have a capt wage.
We agree. The people we currently have are useless and will not change if we pay them more. If we fire them and replace them with more $15/hr people we will get equally shitty morons. If we fire them and hire some $25/hr people, who wouldn't even consider the job at $15/hr, then we will likely get a better quality employee who will deliver better quality work, thus being a better value for the company.

530RL

Reaction score
Our personal experience is that there is simply little labor available and there has not been for several years. Sure there were unemployed people in certain industries during Covid, but those skills do not readily transfer to many other things so labor remained tight even during Covid.

I'm not convinced it is a rate of pay issue. We had certain record pricing for some specialty produce last summer in Salinas/Watsonville and things were rotting in the field as the labor was down. So we tried raising the pay by about 75% for a short period of time to get the product out of the field given the high market pricing for the product. interestingly, we did not get one additional worker, just the same workers and same productivity at a higher wage. Labor supply was completely inelastic.

It is my observation that we have an unfortunate change in American culture that is anti-trade skill and physical labor. Most everyone in my age group had non-skilled physical jobs as kids starting with mowing and yard work and moving on to non/low-skilled help in construction trades (humping lumber, stripping roofs, installing landscaping, etc). The percentage of kids and 10th, 11th and 12th graders doing this type of work even in the summer now is a fraction of what it was several decades ago and as a result there is simply a lack of supply of labor and a view that such labor is below "our kid".

Lastly, by not having these work force experiences at a young age, where you were basically worked hard/abused by the crew, the work ethic as well as the ability to stick to it has somewhat diminished.

As business owners, we simply accept this is the American labor market for the foreseeable future and we should plan production, pricing and staffing accordingly.