WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home For Sale in South East Huntington Beach

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Full disclosure I have an 'Ulterior Motive' for this post.
I have THEEE worst neighbor in the world and she just listed her house for sale after DECADES of being a total NIGHTMARE. She swore she'd never leave.
It's small, and not the greatest floor plan, the master shower is as small as a coffin, and the interior just needs to be gutted. Gonna have to drop at least 100K+ into it to get 'semi-current. I'think' the block wall on the left side could be knocked down to allow for a small rv/boat access, I could be wrong. BUT, it's in a great neighborhood, quiet, has a park at the end of the street, and is super close to the beach, also there are great schools very close by. All the other neighbors on the street are cool, and will probably throw a party for the new owners ! LOL.

Anyways, just posting this here, in case someone is looking.
I'm hoping it sells before she changes her mind!
Fingers crossed.
(Remove post if it's against forum rules)
Thanks

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Any pics of the neighbor?
“House for Sale for the low price of ....
1619982561286.png

Heylam

Reaction score
That’s a great area of town. North end has tons of homeless, downtown has all the craziness, but that end of town is ideal.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I know . . . it's F'ing ridiculous . . . but there's some crazies out there buying these things . . . I have no idea why or how.

I live off Atlanta and Bushard in the HCS tract and homes are getting CRAZY numbers on my street. Young couples buying them up then turn around and put another 200-300k into them before moving in!? Great area, unless you live in south HB you don’t understand it’s nothing like the rest of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I live off Atlanta and Bushard in the HCS tract and homes are getting CRAZY numbers on my street. Young couples buying them up then turn around and put another 200-300k into them before moving in!? Great area, unless you live in south HB you don’t understand it’s nothing like the rest of the city.

Cool ! We're neighbors . . . the other area I like and really never realized was there, is where Slater dead-ends into the Bolsa Chica Wetlands . . . there's nothing over there but homes and a couple schools, so I'd assume it's quiet as well.

Babyback

Reaction score

My two kids go to HCS!👍

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Last century 😲 I lived off Atlanta on Beachcomber - loved living there - used to play pickup b-ball on the court at the end of Beach Boulevard on the bike path.

HB was crazy then but I'm sure it's a whole 'nuther crazy now.

nordictom

Reaction score
I live in Huntington Crest neighborhood. Prices keep going up! House around the corner sold in a week, I think it ended up at 1.2 mil. They completely gutted it from what I can see. I might need to sell out.........:) and retire.

boatpi

Reaction score
It’s a great neighborhood but a small house if you work in Costa Mesa in Newport five minutes away and you could walk to the beach and probably 10.

just look for a lot of termites and things like that houses in this neighborhood the time they were built have tons of wood and facia and things like that and the homeowners probably neglected it and you stick your hand through it.

This is Edison high territory so if you have a son particularly in baseball, one of the leading schools and all of Orange County

Heylam

Reaction score
It’s a great neighborhood but a small house if you work in Costa Mesa in Newport five minutes away and you could walk to the beach and probably 10.

just look for a lot of termites and things like that houses in this neighborhood the time they were built have tons of wood and facia and things like that and the homeowners probably neglected it and you stick your hand through it.

This is Edison high territory so if you have a son particularly in baseball, one of the leading schools and all of Orange County
Termite damage should be a sellers issue, not a buyers.

Heylam

Reaction score
Is offer contingent on a home inspection, or just a blind carte blanche deal? If zero contingency, that would be scary and foolish.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Is offer contingent on a home inspection, or just a blind carte blanche deal? If zero contingency, that would be scary and foolish.
One of the real estate threads in the last couple of weeks mentioned that people are buying no inspection, sight unseen. Just throwing out offers and trying to scoop something up. 😳

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
The construction quality on these homes is nothing to write home about. Very little insulation, aluminum wiring, etc. I talked to an old concrete finisher many years ago who built these homes in 1969. He said they were being put in so fast, his crew could pour 16 foundations in one day ! The soil is also garbage, hard to grow anything w/o adding a lot of new soil. When they dug out the Santa Ana River around here, they took that dirt to fill in the low areas where these homes are now. It wasn't till they completed the build-up of the SA River Project several years ago that you weren't required to carry flood insurance. But I guess it's all about location these days.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Full disclosure I have an 'Ulterior Motive' for this post.
I have THEEE worst neighbor in the world and she just listed her house for sale after DECADES of being a total NIGHTMARE. She swore she'd never leave.
It's small, and not the greatest floor plan, the master shower is as small as a coffin, and the interior just needs to be gutted. Gonna have to drop at least 100K+ into it to get 'semi-current. I'think' the block wall on the left side could be knocked down to allow for a small rv/boat access, I could be wrong. BUT, it's in a great neighborhood, quiet, has a park at the end of the street, and is super close to the beach, also there are great schools very close by. All the other neighbors on the street are cool, and will probably throw a party for the new owners ! LOL.

Anyways, just posting this here, in case someone is looking.
I'm hoping it sells before she changes her mind!
Fingers crossed.
(Remove post if it's against forum rules)
Thanks

Glad you posted this. I am up by Goldennwest and Heil. I tell my buddies how much homes here are going for and they call BS. A million for a tiny home that needs 200k worth of upgrades.

Joker

Reaction score
Glad you posted this. I am up by Goldennwest and Heil. I tell my buddies how much homes here are going for and they call BS. A million for a tiny home that needs 200k worth of upgrades.
The 800 sq ft home on Main Street behind us just sold for 1.2. Now they’re renting it for 4K a month

HBCraig

Reaction score
The 800 sq ft home on Main Street behind us just sold for 1.2. Now they’re renting it for 4K a month
Yep. 2400 sq ft house in my tract is getting 5K a month for 12 month minimum

WildHorses24

Reaction score

Bought mine sight unseen, “as is” 2 years ago expecting it needed everything. House across the street is the same floor plan on 6400 sqft lot and sold for 450k more than I paid... my lot is 9300. I’ve redone EVERYTHING, most of it myself and took all of 2 years but I don’t think it was a foolish purchase.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad in the ad photos. A million bucks sure doesn't get you what it used to. LOL
No kidding..... stuck in CA for now and did our first house hunting with our realtor today. Total wtf moment when looking at $1MM homes. Pretty disappointing for our first place. Even when you see something you like, good luck getting a showing appointment, and even if you do get in to see the place, like it, decide to pony up, enjoy the bidding war with the other 7-30 people. Crazy times.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
That’s a great area in HB. My brother lives just down the road from there. Your only a few minutes from Newport without the extra $500K cost. It still blows my mind the cost of housing down here. Hard to believe the house we bought 20+ years ago in HB for $190K is now going for $950K. It’s Crazy !!!

Joker

Reaction score
That’s a great area in HB. My brother lives just down the road from there. Your only a few minutes from Newport without the extra $500K cost. It still blows my mind the cost of housing down here. Hard to believe the house we bought 20+ years ago in HB for $190K is now going for $950K. It’s Crazy !!!
We paid 215 downtown for a double lot in 95 now valued at 1.8. I can’t leave with capital gains

96scarab

Reaction score
Is that grass on the roof in pic 3? by the chimney?

BingerFang

Reaction score
Termite damage should be a sellers issue, not a buyers.

Should be.... but not in these times. I’m currently in escrow and the seller refused to pay for any termite damage. So I had a report done prior to going into escrow.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I think my my neighbor bought that home to airbnb it.....I know they bought one of the Main homes in literally the last 1.5 months

mbrown2

Reaction score
Ditto...nice area...my best friends lives around the corner on Oceanview....nice quiet community.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Dam I know it Cali and all but 1 mil for a 1243 SF house is pretty freaken expensive in my mind. What are wages like in that area? Like a skilled tradesmen (worker not owner) or a typical engineer with a bachelor’s degree?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Dam I know it Cali and all but 1 mil for a 1243 SF house is pretty freaken expensive in my mind. What are wages like in that area? Like a skilled tradesmen (worker not owner) or a typical engineer with a bachelor’s degree?
I am on a job now. 1400 sq ft was listed 2 year's ago for 1.4. Original from 1956 they got it for 1.3. I put in new bathrooms, kitchen, windows, redid tge wood floors and painted. It just appraised at 1.6. In Torrance by the beach. I don't ask how much they make. Currently doing the exterior.

My guess is this house goes for over or it gets bought and flipped.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
No kidding..... stuck in CA for now and did our first house hunting with our realtor today. Total wtf moment when looking at $1MM homes. Pretty disappointing for our first place. Even when you see something you like, good luck getting a showing appointment, and even if you do get in to see the place, like it, decide to pony up, enjoy the bidding war with the other 7-30 people. Crazy times.

No more Texas ?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
No more Texas ?

Still trying, but it's been delayed and complicated. My wife got the green light to move to the Texas office, and I got the "we need you here, and the executives don't think it's a good idea, but it's your choice. I don't think your boss would have been fired if he hadn't moved." Pretty much a no if I want to keep my job.

I lose a large stay bonus if I leave before October, so that's the earliest I can go. The problem is, I'm in the top 1% of pay for my job/title, our company is killing it, I like my job and team, and I'd lose my options which are projected at 7 figures during the next transaction in the next few years. We are running through a couple of plans.

1. Buy in OC now, live here for a few years until the transaction happens, find a new job in TX, buy a new house in TX, and rent the OC house
2. Continue renting in OC, buy a house in TX to rent, and wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, move into the house we bought in TX once we boot the renters
3. Continue renting in OC, buy a house in TX to rent, and wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, buy a new house in TX once the transaction happens and continue renting the old house
4. Continue renting in OC, wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, and buy a new house in TX
5. Say screw it, find a new job in TX, quit in Oct, buy a house in TX

We are still heading out there at the end of this month to look at houses/properties again. Our friends in FM just told us this morning that their friends 2 doors down are putting their place on the market in the next few days. That would be an awesome rental/starter home to get us in the state. 1/3 the price of the homes we were looking at yesterday, and MUCH nicer.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Still trying, but it's been delayed and complicated. My wife got the green light to move to the Texas office, and I got the "we need you here, and the executives don't think it's a good idea, but it's your choice. I don't think your boss would have been fired if he hadn't moved." Pretty much a no if I want to keep my job.

I lose a large stay bonus if I leave before October, so that's the earliest I can go. The problem is, I'm in the top 1% of pay for my job/title, our company is killing it, I like my job and team, and I'd lose my options which are projected at 7 figures during the next transaction in the next few years. We are running through a couple of plans.

1. Buy in OC now, live here for a few years until the transaction happens, find a new job in TX, buy a new house in TX, and rent the OC house
2. Continue renting in OC, buy a house in TX to rent, and wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, move into the house we bought in TX once we boot the renters
3. Continue renting in OC, buy a house in TX to rent, and wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, buy a new house in TX once the transaction happens and continue renting the old house
4. Continue renting in OC, wait for the transaction, find a new job in TX, and buy a new house in TX
5. Say screw it, find a new job in TX, quit in Oct, buy a house in TX

We are still heading out there at the end of this month to look at houses/properties again. Our friends in FM just told us this morning that their friends 2 doors down are putting their place on the market in the next few days. That would be an awesome rental/starter home to get us in the state. 1/3 the price of the homes we were looking at yesterday, and MUCH nicer.

I thought our possible move was complicated....lol Seems like you have a pretty solid job with good pay, and for that I wouldn't move unless I could keep the job and still move. TX wages are not the same and I'm sure you know that.

For us it's just pulling the trigger and moving everything, business, employees (who want to) and family. Father is not to keen on TX and lived their poor as a kid and doesn't want to return. Even though his bathroom would be larger than the house that 5 kids lived in, so he's pushing for Florida for their retirement but mother doesn't want to be far from the grand kids. So either I start it now in my early 40's or never. Just saw our business neighbor move buildings 15 miles away and what a shit show that was lol.... Cant imaging 1500 miles.

We leave for TX again on the 19th for a wedding, and will get to feel hotter weather this time. Look around for a day, stop and have a beer on our property then drive north to Abilene. Short trip this time, but looking forward to it. First time the kids will see the property. Will see.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I thought our possible move was complicated....lol Seems like you have a pretty solid job with good pay, and for that I wouldn't move unless I could keep the job and still move. TX wages are not the same and I'm sure you know that.

For us it's just pulling the trigger and moving everything, business, employees (who want to) and family. Father is not to keen on TX and lived their poor as a kid and doesn't want to return. Even though his bathroom would be larger than the house that 5 kids lived in, so he's pushing for Florida for their retirement but mother doesn't want to be far from the grand kids. So either I start it now in my early 40's or never. Just saw our business neighbor move buildings 15 miles away and what a shit show that was lol.... Cant imaging 1500 miles.

We leave for TX again on the 19th for a wedding, and will get to feel hotter weather this time. Look around for a day, stop and have a beer on our property then drive north to Abilene. Short trip this time, but looking forward to it. First time the kids will see the property. Will see.

Luckily it's just my wife and I, you've got a ton of moving pieces. My salary will be significantly lower in TX, unless I can take the next step to CFO. Sometimes there are sacrifices we have to make and you've just got to take a leap of faith. I think it will work out for both of us in the long run. We'll just have to keep pushing forward.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Luckily it's just my wife and I, you've got a ton of moving pieces. My salary will be significantly lower in TX, unless I can take the next step to CFO. Sometimes there are sacrifices we have to make and you've just got to take a leap of faith. I think it will work out for both of us in the long run. We'll just have to keep pushing forward.

Try and get the title with your present company. Once you have that title, all sorts of doors will open up. Director (minimum) and above.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Try and get the title with your present company. Once you have that title, all sorts of doors will open up. Director (minimum) and above.
Definitely trying. I'm at the VP level now and was being groomed for the CFO role before my boss was canned by the new owners. That threw a wrench into the plan. Win some, yah lose some.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
UPDATE:
So the listing went on 'Hold', after only 6 days on the market, and I was thinking 'FUCK she decided to stay'! .
But my friend in RE said houses are selling within a week in this area and they probably have enough offers already if not a buyer.

Later on I hear the nightmare neighbor yell, "I need to call the fucking escrow" . . . . then she starts barking on the phone "blah-blah-blah, I Just had the house tented less than 2-years ago" !!!! . . . then, "What do you mean a hundred dollars???? , I don't have a hundred dollars,!!! I can barely pay my fucking mortgage, why do think I'm selling the god damn house" ?!?!?!?!?!

She's a REAL PEACH . . . . I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
UPDATE:
So the listing went on 'Hold', after only 6 days on the market, and I was thinking 'FUCK she decided to stay'! .
But my friend in RE said houses are selling within a week in this area and they probably have enough offers already if not a buyer.

Later on I hear the nightmare neighbor yell, "I need to call the fucking escrow" . . . . then she starts barking on the phone "blah-blah-blah, I Just had the house tented less than 2-years ago" !!!! . . . then, "What do you mean a hundred dollars???? , I don't have a hundred dollars,!!! I can barely pay my fucking mortgage, why do think I'm selling the god damn house" ?!?!?!?!?!

lol doesn't have a hundred bucks, but owns million dollar real estate!

wild times

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
lol doesn't have a hundred bucks, but owns million dollar real estate!

wild times
Tell me about it . . . she was married to a Dr. who passed away, that's how she got the house. Then she married this LOSER who was in & out jail/ prison for chicken shit offenses, multiple DUI's, failure to pay child support, alimony, etc. Years later she dumped him, and the next sucker moved in 2 days later. This guy's from Florida so I think he's talked her into moving there. She 'USED TO BE' a nurse, but got fired and now is a receptionist.

Funny story, years ago, her and that fat slob used to bone in the jacuzzi super late at night all loud and shit, like 2:30-3:00 am . . . between them, they were pushing 500 pounds easily, so not a pretty picture. Sounded like 2 dying moose giving birth at the same time.
Finally, I'd had enough and bought one of those air horns, the kind they sell at west marine for your boat . . I set it up on a 6 foot ladder leaning against our wall along with my Sure Fire 1000 Lumen Flashlight. One night I hear them starting to go at it, so I sneak out there and climbed up the ladder . . . I waited till the dude was about to get his rocks off and then leaned over the wall and and hit them with a long airhorn blast and lit up there whole backyard at the exact same time with 1000 Lumens !!! It sounded like someone threw a grenade in the jacuzzi with all the water sloshing!
My other neighbors new exactly what I had done and still laugh about it ! 🤣

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
UPDATE:

LOL what I'm finding is if you don't book your spot for the weekend by Wed, you probably aren't going to see the place. If you don't get your offer in by that Monday, you aren't getting the house...

mbrown2

Reaction score
Tell me about it . . . she was married to a Dr. who passed away, that's how she got the house. Then she married this LOSER who was in & out jail/ prison for chicken shit offenses, multiple DUI's, failure to pay child support, alimony, etc. Years later she dumped him, and the next sucker moved in 2 days later. This guy's from Florida so I think he's talked her into moving there. She 'USED TO BE' a nurse, but got fired and now is a receptionist.

Funny story, years ago, her and that fat slob used to bone in the jacuzzi super late at night all loud and shit, like 2:30-3:00 am . . . between them, they were pushing 500 pounds easily, so not a pretty picture. Sounded like 2 dying moose giving birth at the same time.
Finally, I'd had enough and bought one of those air horns, the kind they sell at west marine for your boat . . I set it up on a 6 foot ladder leaning against our wall along with my Sure Fire 1000 Lumen Flashlight. One night I hear them starting to go at it, so I sneak out there and climbed up the ladder . . . I waited till the dude was about to get his rocks off and then leaned over the wall and and hit them with a long airhorn blast and lit up there whole backyard at the exact same time with 1000 Lumens !!! It sounded like someone threw a grenade in the jacuzzi with all the water sloshing!
My other neighbors new exactly what I had done and still laugh about it ! 🤣
Savage! :)

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
A sign went up yesterday 'In Escrow'
HELL YEAH!!!
Crazy . . . only on the market for 6 days.

Last edited: