WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

For all you rude m’fers on cinco de mayo

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
B08EFA84-4880-4134-B5CC-0C00556E6425.jpeg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
May 5th, is largely recognized as Mexico’s independence day. But the actual date when Mexico declared itself separate and sovereign from Spain was actually September 15, 1810. It was 52 years later, on May 5, 1862 that the event which sparked the May 5th celebrations took place. It was then that 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City preventing Napoleon III from ruling in Mexico. Union forces from the US Civil War were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French.

But… there is a side note in history you may not have heard of.

Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York .

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.

Their anguish over the loss was so great and yet their joy at the victory of their small army so full they created a duel holiday which occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as –

Wait for it….

franky

Reaction score
May 5th, is largely recognized as Mexico’s independence day. But the actual date when Mexico declared itself separate and sovereign from Spain was actually September 15, 1810. It was 52 years later, on May 5, 1862 that the event which sparked the May 5th celebrations took place. It was then that 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City preventing Napoleon III from ruling in Mexico. Union forces from the US Civil War were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French.

But… there is a side note in history you may not have heard of.

Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York .

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.

Their anguish over the loss was so great and yet their joy at the victory of their small army so full they created a duel holiday which occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as –

Wait for it….
Good one..
On a side note I don't think the French have ever won a battle

PlanB

Reaction score
Good one..
On a side note I don't think the French have ever won a battle

Napoleon arrived in Mexico a year later and kicked the shit out of the Mexican army. I wonder if the celebrate that in France? lol...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
well I’m not Mexican but I’m sure as shit free night! Lol

Water Romper

Reaction score
I ate at Taco Bell yesterday- I am very supportive of our different cultures here in the USA :p

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC

BingerFang

Reaction score
It is believed that if Mexico would have lost the battle which Cinco De Mayo is celebrated, the French would have helped the Confederates (Democrats by the way) beat the Union in the Civil War. The Confederates didn’t want to give up their slave labor and the Union, led by Lincoln was all about “Free Labor” which gives the man the right to choose his work. “If you grow the corn you should be able to eat the corn.”

Spudsbud

Reaction score
It is believed that if Mexico would have lost the battle which Cinco De Mayo is celebrated, the French would have helped the Confederates (Democrats by the way) beat the Union in the Civil War. The Confederates didn’t want to give up their slave labor and the Union, led by Lincoln was all about “Free Labor” which gives the man the right to choose his work. “If you grow the corn you should be able to eat the corn.”

Thats right up there with, give Wimmin the right to vote..... thats where all the real trouble started !! : ~ )

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I said happy cinco de day to my concrete crew ( all Mexican guys ) and they told they don’t celebrate it because they are Americans, I shook there hands 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Always same results every Cesar Chavez Day

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
If the French would have won the war....it would have been Stinko de Mayo and you all would have been drinking wine, eating snails and baguettes instead of tacos, Margaritas , and Coronas. 😂😂

DLC

Reaction score
QUOTE="Water Romper, post: 4101568, member: 669"]
I ate at Taco Bell yesterday- I and very supportive of our different cultures here in the USA :p
[/QUOTE]
1620325818699.png