WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck Stolen and will loose Thousands

rivergames

Reaction score
I am dealing with the biggest shit show right now.

I have a 1990 K5 Blazer project that I am about to start.

I purchased a 2002 6.0 4WD Silverado to put the motor and trans in the K5.

Since I am planning on pulling the motor, I never registered the truck in my name.

I went to the river this past weekend. Got back Monday and noticed the truck is gone.

I call local PD and they say the truck was found in Compton and is at Waltons Tow Yard in Compton.

I call Waltons Tow Yard and they say I need a release from Compton PD. I go to Compton PD yesterday and show them the Pink Slip. Compton PD says I need to get the truck registered in my name.

I then drive to AAA to register my truck. AAA says I need to go to the DMV because the truck is listed as a salvage. I go to the DMV and they say the truck now has a DOJ Hold on it and they can't put my name on the truck until the DOJ hold is released. The DOJ code is: 22669A CDC Abandoned Vehicle

I talked to DOJ this morning. They say Compton PD needs to call and delete the 'Abandoned Vehicle' code. Compton PD won't call DOJ to delete the code.

Bottom line... I can't get the paperwork with my name on the truck to give to Compton PD to give me the release to give to Waltons Tow Yard. Once again, I have the Pink in hand, but DMV can't list me as a new owner with a DOJ code.

Does anyone have any contacts with Compton PD or the DOJ that can help out?

outboard_256

Reaction score
sounds like a neighbor called it in as an Abandoned vehicle. The PD isn't releasing the hold on purpose to screw you over. You piss any neighbors off lately?

gqchris

Reaction score
sounds like you need a new donor truck. next you will get a bill for storage at Waltons.
Agreed, I dont think you are ever going to cut thru that mountain of bullshit. And the Bill from the Tow and Storage is going to astronomical! Sucks!

So they tow your nice truck, but wont even touch the thousands of shit RV's on the streets there abandoned because guess why, there is no money in them! Nobody wants the headache and the Hazmat!

boatpi

Reaction score
Go back to Compton Sheriffs, tell them it was stolen off of private property and you learned it was impounded just before you made a stolen report. With the title, they have to release it to you. if not, IMMEDIATELY ask for a supervisor and apply for an impound hearing.

rivergames

Reaction score
sounds like you need a new donor truck. next you will get a bill for storage at Waltons.
The bill is already $425+ to get it out. On Friday, I'm heading on vacay for 2 weeks on my honeymoon. If I can't get it by then, she's a loss.

sounds like a neighbor called it in as an Abandoned vehicle. The PD isn't releasing the hold on purpose to screw you over. You piss any neighbors off lately?
Thought crossed my mind. My area is Pacific Division PD though. Compton PD wouldn't come pick it up.

Some twat probably swiped my truck for the Catalytic Converter. Been happening all around my hood.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

And the tow bill...

@rivergames

Call and ask for the watch commander at the Compton PD.

Have you seen the condition the truck is in now? Is the engine and trans still in it? Are you sure you even want the thing back?

What does your insurance company have to say about this situation? Might want to check with them too.

rivergames

Reaction score
I would first make sure it was legally towed. Don’t they have to ticket it first then wait a certain time before they tow it? May be an illegal tow
Supposedly, It was stolen and found in Compton. Then towed to the tow yard.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I am going to guess that if you didn't register in your name you also don't have insurance on it. I would keep badgering the police until you find someone that can/will help you. Sounds like that is the only thing holding it up right now.

rivergames

Reaction score
Go back to Compton Sheriffs, tell them it was stolen off of private property and you learned it was impounded just before you made a stolen report. With the title, they have to release it to you. if not, IMMEDIATELY ask for a supervisor and apply for an impound hearing.
How quick are impound hearings? With all the shit they see, It doesn't seam like Compton PD wants to help me with this at all.

propcheck

Reaction score
Find the registered owner and ask him or her to help you out 🤷🏼

rivergames

Reaction score
And the tow bill...

@rivergames

Call and ask for the watch commander at the Compton PD.

Have you seen the condition the truck is in now? Is the engine and trans still in it? Are you sure you even want the thing back?

What does your insurance company have to say about this situation? Might want to check with them too.
Waltons Tow Yard says it looks like everything is there from the outside. But that is just them wanting their $ probably

I never talking with my insurance about this truck and I'm not dragging them into it just yet.

boatnam2

Reaction score
And I thought three one hour trips to triple A was bad to register a sea doo trailer, your deal is way worse, good luck getting it handled.

boatpi

Reaction score
Go to the sheriffs and ask to speak to an auto theft detective, PROVE you are the current owner. Current registration is NOT required to get a realase. As an example, if a NEW car is stolen off of a car lot, found in Compton, do you think they will require it to be registered? Nope. Go higher.

rivergames

Reaction score
Go to the sheriffs and ask to speak to an auto theft detective, PROVE you are the current owner. Current registration is NOT required to get a realase. As an example, if a NEW car is stolen off of a car lot, found in Compton, do you think they will require it to be registered? Nope. Go higher.
I spoke with the Detective yesterday. Nice guy, but keeps saying I needs to be registered in my name. I've left him 3 messages today and haven't heard back. If I don't hear back today, I will run over there tomorrow.

boatpi

Reaction score
That is BS, only need t oshow ownership, stell them is was parked on you property, as such it is not required to be registered, do you have a Planned Non OP on file, that is the alternative

rivergames

Reaction score
That is BS, only need t oshow ownership, stell them is was parked on you property, as such it is not required to be registered, do you have a Planned Non OP on file, that is the alternative
I kept Badgering the Detective and told him this was stolen from my property. I'm at the PD now and he's getting me the release!!!

Good Call Buddy!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

boatpi

Reaction score
Dude,
I worked auto theft as a detective for over 20 years. I probably taught half the guys work on the job now. I still teach at a n post advanced training center in Riverside several times a year.

he just got a know the ins and outs he was doing his job, but you’re being taken care of that’s what’s most important. good luck.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Dude,
I worked auto theft as a detective for over 20 years. I probably taught half the guys work on the job now. I still teach at a n post advanced training center in Riverside several times a year.

he just got a know the ins and outs he was doing his job, but you’re being taken care of that’s what’s most important. good luck.
You are an awesome source of information and I thank you for the knowledge you have shared.

boatpi

Reaction score
My pleasure. Now I can tell you my history but I don’t have time to write a novel. the most fun I ever had as a was the officer in charge of a trap auto theft task force team, with 12 detectives working for me some great fun times. I reviewed and help write a lot of laws in California having to do with auto theft, along with some great people that worked around me. Now I’m a little out to pasture.
RDP power!! Time for a brewski.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

Don't new cars get temp reg from the dealer before you leave? You can't drive the car off a lot without reg, you really think CA would let that happen?

rivergames

Reaction score
Just got back to my shop from the Tow Yard $420 down the drain, but at least I got get back.

Drives like dog shit with the Cats Cut but sounds like a flatty when I step on the gas! 😬

Thanks again @boatpi for your guidance!

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Just seen all this, a little late but I have family member that works in Compton Sherriff dept. maybe next time, lol

outboard_256

Reaction score
Don't new cars get temp reg from the dealer before you leave? You can't drive the car off a lot without reg, you really think CA would let that happen?

He is saying a new unsold car stolen from a dealer wouldn't have registration yet, but the cops can still release it from impound even though no dmv record of the car yet.

BamBam

Reaction score
My 2002 GMC 6.0 was stolen from in front of my house (in Torrance) back in September. Found in... Compton with the cats cut off. I hate thieves.

I'm happy to hear you were able to get it back. Such a pain in the ass when people steal your stuff. Even with insurance and all it always cost you, in time, aggravation, stress and of course $$.

rivergames

Reaction score
My 2002 GMC 6.0 was stolen from in front of my house (in Torrance) back in September. Found in... Compton with the cats cut off. I hate thieves.

I'm happy to hear you were able to get it back. Such a pain in the ass when people steal your stuff. Even with insurance and all it always cost you, in time, aggravation, stress and of course $$.
Prob the same mofos that swiped my ride. Hopefully they rot in hell and get shat on while on the way down

rivergames

Reaction score
Just seen all this, a little late but I have family member that works in Compton Sherriff dept. maybe next time, lol
My shop is on Compton and Main St. I'll keep that in mind [emoji16]

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
My shop is on Compton and Main St. I'll keep that in mind
emoji16.png

Lol, Not exactly an easy station. Dumb ass wanted action 😂