WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Horse power calculator?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Does anyone have an online horsepower calculator?

I am getting so many conflicting estimates on how much hp my boat has and didnt know if there is a calculator or any hard fast rules.

Engine specs in case anyone wants to guess and maybe we can put together a consensus.

516 motor (efi)
8.75/1 compression
hp 500 cam efi model
cmi headers
world product 345 iron heads
6 pounds of boost on 91 octane.
Crower valve train
Crower link bar
Crower push rods
Roller rockers

Any guesses? Ive heard anything from 630 to 775.

DaveH

Reaction score
at that displacment and relativively low CR, I am guessing 1-1.1hp per cube NA. that means 516-567hp plus about 25% for the boost level you wish to run.

I'm guessing between 675-685hp if you keep the RPM under 6000.

Blubyu

Reaction score
That compression ratio, cam, and heads. Around 600-670.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
its a small 2.3l
With the smaller blower, it needs to spin faster to make boost. Along with the faster speed comes more heat. You don't mention an intercooler, so my thinking would be towards the lower end of the scale of what's been suggested. Heated air will not make as much power as cooler, denser air.

Friend of mine has a 516 cu in deal that I built for him about 10 years ago with a 3.3 Whipple in a Stoker, making about 7 lbs boost. The boat will peg a 120 mph GPS.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
With the smaller blower, it needs to spin faster to make boost. Along with the faster speed comes more heat. You don't mention an intercooler, so my thinking would be towards the lower end of the scale of what's been suggested. Heated air will not make as much power as cooler, denser air.

Friend of mine has a 516 cu in deal that I built for him about 10 years ago with a 3.3 Whipple in a Stoker, making about 7 lbs boost. The boat will peg a 120 mph GPS.

Ah left that part out, yes it has an intercooler.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have an online horsepower calculator?

I am getting so many conflicting estimates on how much hp my boat has and didnt know if there is a calculator or any hard fast rules.

Engine specs in case anyone wants to guess and maybe we can put together a consensus.

516 motor (efi)
8.75/1 compression
hp 500 cam efi model
cmi headers
world product 345 iron heads
6 pounds of boost on 91 octane.
Crower valve train
Crower link bar
Crower push rods
Roller rockers

Any guesses? Ive heard anything from 630 to 775.

To answer your question...

No. There are no hard and fast rules. There are literally hundreds of different things that can change the HP on your engine, including the Dyno you measure it on!

HP is not a measurement, it's a calculation. The only actual measurements being performed (on a Dyno) is torque.

The only real way to know what HP/Torque you're getting is by putting the boat/engine on a Dyno. Anyone's guess is just that, a guess.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I could meet you and do a tug of war match against your boat. If you win that's easily a 1000hp motor. But there's a good chance I'll break your boat.