WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool vacume

spectra bash

Reaction score
Are you guys running your vacuum daily or just a couple times a week and rest of the time all suction to skimmer? Having trouble finding good balance with skimmer doing a good job keeping top of pool clean. Newer pool.

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
I’ve been running partial suction to skimmer and vacuum at the same time whenever the pump runs. I run the pump twice a day, morning is full speed and afternoon/evening is low speed. Keeps the top clean and vacuum still does its job.

spectra bash

Reaction score
Do you guys run a skimmer door? My pool builder didn’t install one. Says they don’t like them. But I think it needs one.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What helped me was...

Being aware of what time the wind is blowing crap in my pool. Its usually right around sunset.

So during that time, my pump runs pretty much full blast.

And yes, vacuum and skimmer are always running together. My vacuum is hard plumbed into the wall.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I think the bottom line is when you have one pump that is pulling water from the floor drain, the spa floor drain, the skimmer and the vacuum ( if that’s how you set it up) the skimmer is not going to be great.

My pool is about 5 years old and Plumbed like I described. The skimmer is horrible. I am sure I can close the valve on the vacuum and it would be great but the vacuum needs it to run. The vacuum is more important than the skimmer to me.

I have one of those baskets in the skimmer that increase the velocity of the water.... it works a little. Getting a seperate electric cleaner is always an option and close the valve of the vacuum. You can try moving the valve to pull more suction from the pool vs cleaner but you then will need to increase the pump RPM to make the vacuum run.

I choose to have the kids skim the pool with a fine net while I drink beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Are you guys running your vacuum daily or just a couple times a week and rest of the time all suction to skimmer? Having trouble finding good balance with skimmer doing a good job keeping top of pool clean. Newer pool.
I assume you have the separate wall inlet for the pool vac
Turn off the floor drain if you're using a pool vac.
A clean filter makes a big difference as does the type of pool vac.
Most pool vacs come with a gauge to set the suction. I keep mine as low as possible. I don't need it to go 100 mph and more wear and tear.
100% skim, 50% pool vac, 0% floor drain
Yes on skimmer door/ It won't run your pump dry if it sticks. Pool vac or floor drain still on

Last edited:

DanG

Reaction score
Same here....Vacuum/cleaner and skimmer at the same time (8 hrs over night). I would say about a 60/40 like others have mentioned. You have to find the sweat spot of the vacuum for the cleaner to run properly and be able to climb the walls and not get stuck on the damn drains. Anyway, skimmer is not great at that setting and no skimmer door, so there is always a need to do a quick skim with the net before a swim. As mentioned though it's about making sure the cleaner is working properly.

oldschool

Reaction score
Don’t run a skimmer door, if it gets stuck it can run you pump dry. My wife bought one of those Skim A Round skimmer baskets and it seems to work ok.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
THIS is still the best...Hayward W3PVS20JST Poolvergnuegen Pool Cleaner (Automatic Pool Vacuum), White

Better than the Navigator I had and kept going for years. And highly rated on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-W3PVS20JST-Poolvergnuegen-Cleaner-Automatic/dp/B07SS4G8XN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=10ZUCS85FWQI8&dchild=1&keywords=the+pool+cleaner+2+wheel&qid=1590245872&sprefix=the+pool+cle,aps,201&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN0JDQ0hWSTBKS0pTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA1OTAyMlJBSDRXSFJHS1NKRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU3NjMwOEwzNzc5NDcyTlRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

s-l600.jpg

I recommend putting one of these on your vacuum hose

Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister with Mesh Bag Replacement for Hayward Pool and Spa Cleaners

hayward-leaf-canister-w530.jpg

Amazon.com: Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister with Mesh Bag Replacement for Hayward Pool and Spa Cleaners: Gateway
Amazon.com: Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister with Mesh Bag Replacement for Hayward Pool and Spa Cleaners: Gateway
www.amazon.com
Hayward Leaf Cannister - 1.jpeg

spectra bash

Reaction score
THIS is still the best...Hayward W3PVS20JST Poolvergnuegen Pool Cleaner (Automatic Pool Vacuum), White

Better than the Navigator I had and kept going for years. And highly rated on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-W3PVS20JST-Poolvergnuegen-Cleaner-Automatic/dp/B07SS4G8XN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=10ZUCS85FWQI8&dchild=1&keywords=the+pool+cleaner+2+wheel&qid=1590245872&sprefix=the+pool+cle,aps,201&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN0JDQ0hWSTBKS0pTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA1OTAyMlJBSDRXSFJHS1NKRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU3NjMwOEwzNzc5NDcyTlRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

s-l600.jpg

I recommend putting one of these on your vacuum hose

Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister with Mesh Bag Replacement for Hayward Pool and Spa Cleaners

hayward-leaf-canister-w530.jpg

www.amazon.com
Hayward Leaf Cannister - 1.jpeg
That is the setup I have but that doesn’t get my skimmer to suck in small top water debris. I think I’m going to run skimmer 100% and only connect vacuum when needed..

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Yes skimmer door. Otherwise everything sucked into skimmer when pump turns off if it floats back into the pool it goes Everyday
your builder prob said they don’t use because holes for door likely got filled with grout. Simplest fix spring loaded door

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Love my Dolphin....Ive owned a total of 5 since 88 They are the best IMO just got the newest for the new pool in Fla.