Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
just saw this on FB
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
Nice, not even a hint as to how long or what the issue is so people can tentatively plan?

Well if you can make it to Rock Creek and back it would be pretty nice without the boats.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Nice, not even a hint as to how long or what the issue is so people can tentatively plan?

Well if you can make it to Rock Creek and back it would be pretty nice without the boats.
I heard the issue was low water?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Hopefully this is corrected quickly. I also hope they open up the store soon otherwise we are gonna have to modify our plans in a pretty big way...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I am pretty paranoid about fuel on Powell and we all know the saying "you can never have enough gas unless you are on fire". I have a couple ideas and a reminder that a GPS is for more than just being lazy when you could use a paper map.

I am gonna top off at wahweep. The run to Antelope is about 8.5 miles but I am going to lay down a track on my GPS and double check. I will top off at Antelope and re-calibrate my brain on what I think my fuel mileage is. I might burn 5-8 gallons on that passage and a little sanity check might be worth it to make sure I fully understand my gas use.

Anyone have any idea what a Kohler 5K generator burns per hour? Now I am regretting not having put more solar on my boat.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
To make it worse, I believe external fuel storage is against Utah law, so no 55g drums on the back of a houseboat

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I am pretty paranoid about fuel on Powell and we all know the saying "you can never have enough gas unless you are on fire". I have a couple ideas and a reminder that a GPS is for more than just being lazy when you could use a paper map.

I am gonna top off at wahweep. The run to Antelope is about 8.5 miles but I am going to lay down a track on my GPS and double check. I will top off at Antelope and re-calibrate my brain on what I think my fuel mileage is. I might burn 5-8 gallons on that passage and a little sanity check might be worth it to make sure I fully understand my gas use.

Anyone have any idea what a Kohler 5K generator burns per hour? Now I am regretting not having put more solar on my boat.

Can't you strap some cans to your swim platform? I guess this is when HB's are good, most have toy tanks. We usually stay in Face Canyon and don't use half the fuel available on our HB.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
To make it worse, I believe external fuel storage is against Utah law, so no 55g drums on the back of a houseboat

55gal presents so many handling challenges. Much easier to take 11 5's. I have some friends that haul 5's from Page so they save some money over dock gas. Not worth the effort in my opinion. 10 cans would save you $150 and they're staying on a 80 foot Bravada, doesn't compute.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Can't you strap some cans to your swim platform? I guess this is when HB's are good, most have toy tanks. We usually stay in Face Canyon and don't use half the fuel available on our HB.

At that point I will just play if safe and limit how far I go up river, I go to Powell enough that I don't have to try difficult gymnastics to try to see some of the more remote spots on every trip. There is somewhat a law of diminishing returns on an Express Cruiser. More gas, more weight, less efficient etc etc....

Now on the old 1987 whaler I have came with the "Lake Powell" package! That is 70 gallons of fuel and a GM 350! That old girl will sip petro at 3000 rpm and its idiot proof with 2 - 35 gallon side tanks. Once the port tank sucks air you know its time to flip the switch and start back the other way!

I thought my biggest problem was gonna be 4 women filling up the black tank with pee and no pumpouts up lake. And spare the jokes they are all my wife and daughters.. LOL

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
This is when I like the little small block in my boat. Will run Atleast 120 miles or more depending on the throttle. 2 18 gallon tanks. I can cruise and make lone rock to dangling rope on about 7-8 gallons going through the cut.

worst I have used was 12

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Anybody know the current water temps. I am heading up for the weekend just after memorial day