WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Those of you that made the move or thinking of moving to Florida...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Where are you thinking of moving or where have you moved?

What is your home budget?

Will you continue to work or retire?

I just looked last night and I was blown away at how prices have skyrocketed in the areas we would consider. However still some neat stuff under a million.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Parents are in Cape Coral now looking... he's 100% retired.

Wants on the canal with ocean access. Budget was 450k and under, but finding it hard for homes that don't need lots of remodeling, sound like he's upping the budget. The 2nd home would be Texas if we move there so they would have a place near the grand kids.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
My dad is retired and owns a house in Seattle. He just got back from Jacksonville, met with a realtor down there. I think he was looking at something with a view or on a body of water. I'll update as I get more information. He said the politics down there were great compared to Seattle.

Reactions: DWC

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I would like to retire on the Gulf Coast side but I think my hobby is to dangerous. Road Cycling sucks along the coasts. too many lane drifters.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I use to tell people you get a 1200sq ft house on a 8k ft lot less then a mile from the beach and boat ramp and no HOA, for under 200k. Those days are gone. Currently, you can get a house less then a mile from the beach and boat ramp and no HOA, for under 300k but the homes stay on the market for less then a few days. Anything on the water is gone before it hits the market. Realtors are BEGGING people to sell. Zip code 34293. Of what is remaining in way of vacant lots, those are now in the 60k's

Great uncrowded beaches, fishing at the jetties or offshore, and some kick ass sand bars.

Our ferry to our 1250ft of private beach. You have 2 miles of state beach to the north.

Last edited:

seanroberts

Reaction score
Made the move Oct last year. Prices are going up you have to be ready to jump on what you want. Of course the more expensive the better the chance of getting something. We went with a way bigger place on the water with a boat dock. The wife was still doing the online teaching for comifornia but is interviewing for schools out here next year. I travel for work so I still go to comifornia but try to avoid it as much as possible. Well worth getting outta there.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Been to the west coast and the east coast of Florida.. love the vibe of Cape Coral but can’t deal with the bugs.. love the blue waters of the east coast but it’s more of a hey lam with multiple
Commas.. lol

key west is rad

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
As long as you’re in it for saltwater boating, then FL is cool. Me personally, I hate saltwater boating, I’m too anal for that. So even though I’ve lived in Florida for 8 years now, I hardly ever do any boating here, I spend most of my time at the numerous lakes in GA & SC.

Also running from hurricanes every year sucks. Just saying. There’s only 2 freeways out of Florida, 75 & 95 and they’re going to turn into parking lots when hurricanes come. Gas shortages, lumber hoarding, it brings out the worst in people. Every year.

BUT, if I were looking for a waterfront home on a canal and I had an outboard CC, I’d be looking in the Cape Coral area. Really nice area, it’s fairly quiet (for now, it’s growing) housing prices are reasonable. One thing to watch out for is the further from open water you get, the cheaper the house is. Make sure to see how long of an idle it is to get out of your canal, lots that are 1hr+. Also check bridge clearances, you may not be able to fit your boat under them. Lots to think about.

RichieRich

Reaction score
some good friends of ours just sold their home in Maryland and bought a beautiful place in Key Largo...can't wait to go visit them.
I think they paid $735ish for the new place with 4 bedrooms and a pool. about a block from the water

Nordie

Reaction score
Lived in Naples for a year. I would go back tomorrow if I could get my wife on board. The quality of life in Florida is not like anywhere elese I have ever been.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I’ve had two houses in the SWCape
My last I should have waited one month
Would have got a mill
Both my SW Cape homes where water front with 20 k lifts
Sold the last off of SurfSide got more then what I paid for my 20 acre mansion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
BTW
I east side my whole life
N Fort Lauderdale to light house point and all in between

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry lived there most of my life on the south east coast
My mom was born in palm beach

beerrun

Reaction score
We have been looking and liked the idea of cape coral but the property taxes were i think 1 1/2% so on a 500k house its more then we want. So now we are looking at fort Mojave found a new development where you can have two two car garages and an RV garage for under 500k

LHCBOY

Reaction score
We started by taking vacation’s out here every year. Started on the East Coast (Daytona Area) as my wife’s family had several motels back in the hey days. Daytona is a very rough place nowadays, littered with crime, homeless and just plain shit.

Second year stayed down in SE FL. (Miami Area) . To crowed, to many LAM people, over prices for what you get. A big plus is the easy drive to the Keys.

Third year stayed SW FL (Naples Area) well long story short, my nose does not go that high nor is our pocket book that deep.

Fourth Year stayed in the SunCoast (Sarasota Area) feel in love with it. Boating is amazing year round with quick access to the gulf. Great mix of people, and at the time housing was affordable as 941punk always stated. Now prices have gone crazy.

We sold our condo last year after making a good little profit and decided to rent for the next few years. We did look at a few new homes and the builders are 6 months out from ground breaking if you signed today.

Our goal is to buy some property on the East side of 75 if not all sold to developers.

We can all find faults in all the states that people live in, but our quality of life improved and our attitudes changed since moving to FL.

Just my .02

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My sister inlaw who lives in Boca sent this to us. It's in a great area as we really like the area around Delrey Beach. We are not gonna buy any time soon but would like a second home possibly. We really like the Keys too but prices are insane and I just don't think a little home in Islamorada or Keywest will happen any time soon.

Cape Coral is still reasonable but we prefer the East side of Florida at least from our visits so far.

We really love Nevada and where we live. However it's always fun to think about other places. I do love hills and mountains so Florida would be tough in that respect.

Not a townhome person but we like a few of these.

Each one in this small complex comes with it's own pool. It's in an area we like. We love Ft Lauderdale.

Last edited:

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Florida has no off roading and no mountains or deserts.

We have Croom, Citrus, Richloam, Ocala, and a few off road parks. But yeah, nothing like Arizona. I go to Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama to use my winch :)

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
We have been looking and liked the idea of cape coral but the property taxes were i think 1 1/2% so on a 500k house its more then we want. So now we are looking at fort Mojave found a new development where you can have two two car garages and an RV garage for under 500k

Fla /NV
You most work for NASA

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
One thing to think about.......

The 1st home I purchased in Florida was a humongous trophy house. More room than my wife and I would ever need...... and then some. Then I started paying the ever increasing property tax bill and realized that having a realistic size home is better in the long run. We sold it less than 2 years after buying it and downsized. We really didn’t need a 2000sf living room, a 1000sf master bedroom, 5000sf outdoor entertainment area, and multiple other over the top amenities. The smallest home you can live with, is probably best in the long run because we don’t have state income tax. That money comes from property taxes. Your retirement money could go further in other states, if you believe you will be on a tight budget when you retire. This is one area whereas I truly miss Arizona. The property taxes were quite reasonable compared to Florida.

Now I live in a high security high rise condo that sits on the intracoastal with its own marina, in which I own a deeded dock. My wife and I love it. Here is a fact about my condo....... The largest mansions in south Florida do not have my high view....... that includes Maralago. They only go 4 or 5 stories at best. I can see ocean and intracoastal, also down my canal. Trust me..... there is no shortage of things to see out the window and balcony. It borders on sensory overload at times.

When I hang out at my pool, it’s like having a mansion, since I get the same boat traffic going by as any waterfront home. I have great neighbors. Everyone moved here with the same mindset. Let’s call it the 6th Burrough if you know what I mean.

Ok...... enough humble bragging.

I cannot think of a worse time to buy In South Florida. My condo has increased over 100k, just in the last 6 months. Even my boat dock has increased 25k in value. The only home around me for sale just listed at 7.5 million. It’s actually a good deal, but the property taxes are going to hurt! Lol

Florida is not the land of milk and honey either. Don’t kid yourself. I will give some examples.

49 States have an average of 2% of the population is convicted felons. In Florida, it’s 9.8% of the population...... think about that! That’s almost 5 times the National average. That’s one reason why Florida always makes the news.

I grew up in So Cal where speeding is 2nd nature. Here....... it’s a whole new level of crazy. For instance, local law enforcement has stopped policing the 95 freeway because they say it is too dangerous. I swear this is true...... google it, it’s been on the local news for the last 6 months. I have watched news episodes over the past several years and can say this....... I have seen so many totaled supercars, I’ve lost count. Normally it a high school kid totaling his McClaren, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. The super wealthy are everywhere. You can easily become a victim on the freeway....... for multiple reasons.

Just plan on having your identity stolen when you move here....... it will make it easier to cope when it happens. My wife and I have had to replace our credit cards at least 7 times in the past 8 years. Most of this fraud has happened to us at restaurants. No tto leave out my fellow Zonies...... I had a waiter at the Hyatt in Sedona steal a credit card number, he must have been from Florida. This is a real problem here. Do not give any medical office your SS number. They don’t need it. Use your cell number Instead. They will never know the difference. It has been one low paid medical worker after another, arrested for stealing patient information. It’s a on going problem all over Florida.

If it’s a financial scam that didn’t start in Nigeria....... then it started in Florida.

Speaking of crime...... one of the stranger stories was that of the lady who purchased a new washer and dryer from Best Buy. When it got delivered, she was blungened to death by the delivery man. I wish that were the only strange story, but they are too numerous to mention. Usually, most victims are only robbed by the big box delivery people. Again, another typical news story.

Theft is the biggest sport in Florida........ There should be awards for creativity. Geez...... there is an entire group that has no problem stealing your boat........ liberating Cuba is morally Justified by any means possible. Of course they have to compete with the multiple organized theft operations. Home burglary and car jackings hardly make the news anymore. But make no mistake...... Florida is the car jacking leader by far. Lots of crime on tourists too. They are the easiest victims and there are many that prey exclusively on the tourists.

Speaking of building that ridiculous wall....... not sure how you build a wall to keep a boat load of immigrants from hitting the beach in their stolen boat, then running off into the neighborhood. This has happened 3 times in the last 6 months, in just my neighborhood. Totaled 3 super nice boats in the process.

Sorry to rant, but it should be noted that no place is perfect. I love Florida. Overall, I am having a great time, but mainly because Florida fills my boating needs. If off-roading was my main focus........ Florida sucks! Compared to California and Arizona. Not even comparable.

I doubt if I have answered any questions....... lol

One last thing........ Florida has so many destinations, that there is a place for everyone tastes. But if you want bugs that fly with their own FAA numbers...... The west coast is for you!

thmterry

Reaction score
The highest "Mountain" in Florida is?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-- The Matterhorn at Disneyworld
When I lived in Florida and we would have hurricane warnings, they would evacuate to the school in my neighborhood because we were at the high point of the area at 37 feet above sea level.

SixD9R

Reaction score
We own a home in North Port (which is on the west side but not very close to the water) that we rent out seasonally. It’s actually a pretty nice town. Lots of retired folks there and it feels safe. The house has a 2 cars wide by 2 cars deep garage but the door is only 7’ high. We also own the lots on each side of the home. If I ever decide to retire there I will build a nice big garage on one of the lots and just tow the boat the 20-30 minutes to a ramp.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Old boss moved to Jax for two years but has already come back to CA. $1MM house on the intercostal was bad ass, but I think the weather drove him back.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
When I lived in Florida and we would have hurricane warnings, they would evacuate to the school in my neighborhood because we were at the high point of the area at 37 feet above sea level.
My dock is ~4’ 😉

fLoRiDUH IS ClOSed.......

You don’t want to live here. It’s shit. 🤣🤣🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
and Havasu is not??????????

You have to go visit Florida to understand what RD is trying to say here...

We are boating posers here on the west coast. You really can't comprehend what Florida is like till you're been there.

IMHO, it's a great place to visit, in the winter. 👍

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My sister inlaw who lives in Boca sent this to us. It's in a great area as we really like the area around Delrey Beach. We are not gonna buy any time soon but would like a second home possibly. We really like the Keys too but prices are insane and I just don't think a little home in Islamorada or Keywest will happen any time soon.

Cape Coral is still reasonable but we prefer the East side of Florida at least from our visits so far.

We really love Nevada and where we live. However it's always fun to think about other places. I do love hills and mountains so Florida would be tough in that respect.

Not a townhome person but we like a few of these.

Each one in this small complex comes with it's own pool. It's in an area we like. We love Ft Lauderdale.

If you can afford a second home then I would suggest Florida only in the winter. Gets to damn hot in the summer. Have another home somewhere cooler for the summers.

I haven't seen what C-ya has said, but not saying he isn't right either. We are in north Sarasota and like it a lot, but we are 30 min from the water.

We had a friend buy an nice house in Palmer Ranch last year for 600K. Had another friend building one now in Lakewood Ranch. Just under 1 mil. Neither of those are on very close to the water.

If it were me looking to move I would look real close south of Venice, FL. Maybe down near North Port. Not as built up yet, but I am assuming it will be.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
One thing to think about.......

The 1st home I purchased in Florida was a humongous trophy house. More room than my wife and I would ever need...... and then some. Then I started paying the ever increasing property tax bill and realized that having a realistic size home is better in the long run. We sold it less than 2 years after buying it and downsized. We really didn’t need a 2000sf living room, a 1000sf master bedroom, 5000sf outdoor entertainment area, and multiple other over the top amenities. The smallest home you can live with, is probably best in the long run because we don’t have state income tax. That money comes from property taxes. Your retirement money could go further in other states, if you believe you will be on a tight budget when you retire. This is one area whereas I truly miss Arizona. The property taxes were quite reasonable compared to Florida.

Now I live in a high security high rise condo that sits on the intracoastal with its own marina, in which I own a deeded dock. My wife and I love it. Here is a fact about my condo....... The largest mansions in south Florida do not have my high view....... that includes Maralago. They only go 4 or 5 stories at best. I can see ocean and intracoastal, also down my canal. Trust me..... there is no shortage of things to see out the window and balcony. It borders on sensory overload at times.

When I hang out at my pool, it’s like having a mansion, since I get the same boat traffic going by as any waterfront home. I have great neighbors. Everyone moved here with the same mindset. Let’s call it the 6th Burrough if you know what I mean.

Ok...... enough humble bragging.

I cannot think of a worse time to buy In South Florida. My condo has increased over 100k, just in the last 6 months. Even my boat dock has increased 25k in value. The only home around me for sale just listed at 7.5 million. It’s actually a good deal, but the property taxes are going to hurt! Lol

Florida is not the land of milk and honey either. Don’t kid yourself. I will give some examples.

49 States have an average of 2% of the population is convicted felons. In Florida, it’s 9.8% of the population...... think about that! That’s almost 5 times the National average. That’s one reason why Florida always makes the news.

I grew up in So Cal where speeding is 2nd nature. Here....... it’s a whole new level of crazy. For instance, local law enforcement has stopped policing the 95 freeway because they say it is too dangerous. I swear this is true...... google it, it’s been on the local news for the last 6 months. I have watched news episodes over the past several years and can say this....... I have seen so many totaled supercars, I’ve lost count. Normally it a high school kid totaling his McClaren, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. The super wealthy are everywhere. You can easily become a victim on the freeway....... for multiple reasons.

Just plan on having your identity stolen when you move here....... it will make it easier to cope when it happens. My wife and I have had to replace our credit cards at least 7 times in the past 8 years. Most of this fraud has happened to us at restaurants. No tto leave out my fellow Zonies...... I had a waiter at the Hyatt in Sedona steal a credit card number, he must have been from Florida. This is a real problem here. Do not give any medical office your SS number. They don’t need it. Use your cell number Instead. They will never know the difference. It has been one low paid medical worker after another, arrested for stealing patient information. It’s a on going problem all over Florida.

If it’s a financial scam that didn’t start in Nigeria....... then it started in Florida.

Speaking of crime...... one of the stranger stories was that of the lady who purchased a new washer and dryer from Best Buy. When it got delivered, she was blungened to death by the delivery man. I wish that were the only strange story, but they are too numerous to mention. Usually, most victims are only robbed by the big box delivery people. Again, another typical news story.

Theft is the biggest sport in Florida........ There should be awards for creativity. Geez...... there is an entire group that has no problem stealing your boat........ liberating Cuba is morally Justified by any means possible. Of course they have to compete with the multiple organized theft operations. Home burglary and car jackings hardly make the news anymore. But make no mistake...... Florida is the car jacking leader by far. Lots of crime on tourists too. They are the easiest victims and there are many that prey exclusively on the tourists.

Speaking of building that ridiculous wall....... not sure how you build a wall to keep a boat load of immigrants from hitting the beach in their stolen boat, then running off into the neighborhood. This has happened 3 times in the last 6 months, in just my neighborhood. Totaled 3 super nice boats in the process.

Sorry to rant, but it should be noted that no place is perfect. I love Florida. Overall, I am having a great time, but mainly because Florida fills my boating needs. If off-roading was my main focus........ Florida sucks! Compared to California and Arizona. Not even comparable.

I doubt if I have answered any questions....... lol

One last thing........ Florida has so many destinations, that there is a place for everyone tastes. But if you want bugs that fly with their own FAA numbers...... The west coast is for you!
Perfect post! I always felt nickel and dimed by Florida. The real estate pricing was good, no state income tax, etc. But everything else was super high. Property taxes, homeowners insurance, car insurance, boat insurance are all WAY more than I paid in California. I got multiple boat insurance quotes for $9k/yr when I was paying <$1k in CA. Someone’s gotta pay for all the thefts and hurricane losses!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I saw a buddy of mine yesterday, he lives in Miami. He said he said he can't believe how many people are moving to the Miami area, but said once a Hurricane hits a lot of will leave,lol. I work in Miami quite a bit and I really like it there. But during the Summer man does it get hot and the humidity is even worse. Definitely not a dry heat.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We have no plans to move full time. Fun to look at places though. We really love where we are at and are so blessed and lucky to live where we do.

I know most hate townhomes but the ones we have seen in Ft Lauderdale are incredible and for people like us that wont be there full time it's much easier not having as much to take care of.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I had a freind that lived on the water in Crystal River Fl. North of Tampa on Gulf side....... You could boat all day in the salt water and fish and when you came home the Crystal River was fresh water and it flushed the engines with clean water as you rolled into your lift.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
We started by taking vacation’s out here every year. Started on the East Coast (Daytona Area) as my wife’s family had several motels back in the hey days. Daytona is a very rough place nowadays, littered with crime, homeless and just plain shit.

Second year stayed down in SE FL. (Miami Area) . To crowed, to many LAM people, over prices for what you get. A big plus is the easy drive to the Keys.

Third year stayed SW FL (Naples Area) well long story short, my nose does not go that high nor is our pocket book that deep.

Fourth Year stayed in the SunCoast (Sarasota Area) feel in love with it. Boating is amazing year round with quick access to the gulf. Great mix of people, and at the time housing was affordable as 941punk always stated. Now prices have gone crazy.

We sold our condo last year after making a good little profit and decided to rent for the next few years. We did look at a few new homes and the builders are 6 months out from ground breaking if you signed today.

Our goal is to buy some property on the East side of 75 if not all sold to developers.

We can all find faults in all the states that people live in, but our quality of life improved and our attitudes changed since moving to FL.

Just my .02

Check the Inlets in Bradenton there are 2 homes for sale there.

LHCBOY

Reaction score
Check the Inlets in Bradenton there are 2 homes for sale there.

Now I will say Bradenton is nice but the more you go towards to town the rougher it gets. I boated the Manatee River for sometime. Old oyster River kinda muddy. You have the choice to head to the gulf eggmont key for the day or south on the ICW to Jew fish Key. I will say on thing the more northern you go in FL the more Southern you get.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I had a freind that lived on the water in Crystal River Fl. North of Tampa on Gulf side....... You could boat all day in the salt water and fish and when you came home the Crystal River was fresh water and it flushed the engines with clean water as you rolled into your lift.
Crystal River is pretty cool. I went and swam with the manatees there!