WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
1,177 Sailors and Marines Died on the USS Arizona, during the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

This Fact gives me the Chills and a Tear. So many Young Lives "Snuffed" while just beginning A Life.

I do Not believe I could Stand above "HER" and watch the OIL Bubble up in a 24-7 reminder of Ship Of Souls below me.😢

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
EBB467E9-9B0C-4CC4-88D4-8C24F8470C77.jpeg

Good Stuff

Reaction score
1,177 Sailors and Marines Died on the USS Arizona, during the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

This Fact gives me the Chills and a Tear. So many Young Lives "Snuffed" while just beginning A Life.

I do Not believe I could Stand above "HER" and watch the OIL Bubble up in a 24-7 reminder of Ship Of Souls below me.😢

It’s a life changing experience.

If you have kids, bring them. I’ve brought mine to every place I could. Pearl Harbor, 9/11 Memorial (she was born in ‘01 so that was pretty intense), Holocaust Museum in DC, Manzanar (cause even the US has done fucked up stuff to “protect” their citizens), Gettysburg, Arlington National Cemetery. Important to make sure they remember the sacrifices of others every day with all the filtering going on.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

If you have kids, bring them. I’ve brought mine to every place I could. Pearl Harbor, 9/11 Memorial (she was born in ‘01 so that was pretty intense), Holocaust Museum in DC, Manzanar (cause even the US has done fucked up stuff to “protect” their citizens), Gettysburg, Arlington National Cemetery. Important to make sure they remember the sacrifices of others every day with all the filtering going on.
If you have well behaved kids....

Both are great tributes to those that sacrificed everything

4Waters

Reaction score

I'm sure you could but you would definitely shed a tear. I've done it, you feel sad, angry, proud and empowered all at the same time.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could but you would definitely shed a tear. I've done it, you feel sad, angry, proud and empowered all at the same time.

I understand the the "FACT" BUT!! it is Not the same to be standing at the "Headstone in a Cemetery and Standing above these "Heros" in a Sunken Ship.:(

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

🇺🇲
Just stood over the Arizona last week to pay respect. It's been my one bucket list items I could not "not do". As touristy as Waikiki is, the memorial site is handled with respect and dignity. The history lessons you get while touring the entire facility is well worth your time. The time you have over the Arizona itself is short and sweet, just enough to see it and pay respect to the brave souls below before they shuttle you off again.
20210520_125412.jpg

Spudsbud

Reaction score
I have Uncles in Arlington, and the Punch Bowl, at Pearl but not the Arizona.
Been to both several times.
Go.
Take your children.
Never forget.
Yes, the oil still rises from that day........

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Standing above the Arizona, I had a strong emotional feeling...tug at the heart strings if you would. Only other place I've been that had that same effect was standing on the battlefields at Gettysburg.
Be it the souls of the lost, or a feeling of patriotism...I don't know. Both places turned the course of history. A price was paid with many lives.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
God bless all that have given thier all for this country, they must be spinnin in their grave seeing what is happening to this country. RIP brothers, we will survive
NSF
IMG_4214.JPG

Reactions: DLC

rrrr

Reaction score
My most moving experience at a war memorial was my first visit to The Wall at 3 AM on a warm summer night in 1993. The vertical lights set in the ground along the length of its base wash the black granite panels with a glow that makes the inset of each name cast a slight shadow.

The design of the memorial, its beginnings at each end at ground level which grow to a height in the center higher than a tall man can reach, contain the names of some 58,000 American men and women. Their average age was around 23.

Most Americans have a general knowledge of how the Vietnam War evolved, and about the protests and the deep division it made through our country. But if you study the conflict, other, more sinister, disturbing, and tragic facts emerge.

That makes the sacrifice of the Vietnam Era more poignant. They gave their lives in a war that was politicized and mismanaged.

I stood there in the stillness before dawn, proud that our citizens gave their lives for country, but sad that they did so in a cause whose architects were so inept.

franky

Reaction score

Gettysburg was awesome. Docent gets in your car and drives around, stops on a overlook and describes these battles so vividly you can see them falling....