WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Channel incidents- just wondering

Water Romper

Reaction score
So over the past several days starting Thursday, I was watching the migration of skin, fiberglass and aluminum converge to the channel via the Havasu Bridge Web Cam, I would show my wife and say "hey look at this" or "check that out" (seems the internet is the only way we experience Havi these days) I was wondering if anyone has seen over the top stupidity in this small, stretch of water. We have cruised through this area for 20+ years (we were weekend warriors from OC) and really never seen anything to dramatic... a fight here and there, saw a boat catch on fire once (was extinguished almost as fast as it started) seen girls get arrested for flashing and of course the PWC folks with no vests getting cited but nothing major. Has anyone hit the bridge pilon with a boat? -Saw what appeared to be a close call Saturday, guy looked like he may have glanced off the pilon (he was going very slow) couldn't tell what his deal was from the cam. Ever see Mr. stupid fall on his hand throttle (outboard) and take out a series of boats and god forbid, people ? Seems just so volatile and an "accident waiting to happen" ... The crowds are bigger, boats are more powerful and people seem to be more stupid and less caring plus add the power drinking and drugs and its a perfect combination for a nightmare to erupt.

Sure hope not many respond, it would be nice to know this place is still relatively safe and fun, even on holiday weekends.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Not maybe the worst of crimes, but in the middle 90’s I got lit up for fishing off my boat under the bridge. :p It was around dusk and dead but blocking a waterway. No ticket. I also remember a million bats coming out of the cracks.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Over the top stupidity? Really?

In my river crew we call that "typical river behavior!". 😁

My first trip to Havasu was in 1974. The stereos are louder, but It's actually way calmer now.

This. Everyone seems to forget this.

I know why they forget.. they were the ones doing the stupid shit 25 years ago... and towing their boats at 90 across the desert :)

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I heard a story about a girl on a deck boat.
Not even close to the Makitas with attachments going into holes at the sand bar circa 95-98
All in front of 300-500 people

Or the drunk guy that smashed his buddy’s head into the center of the outdrive (prop) during a fight
At sand bar: booked on manslaughter around early 2000’s

Only disposable cameras back then for evidence lol

DLC

Reaction score
The nautical has a web cam also..

69hondo

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I think this is a big part of why it is a little calmer now. Everyone has a camera/video now and can be seen doing anything at all times. good and bad in my opinion.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Over the top stupidity? Really?

In my river crew we call that "typical river behavior!". 😁

My first trip to Havasu was in 1974. The stereos are louder, but It's actually way calmer now.
They just don’t realize the houseboats used to be a weekly occurrence. People seemed friendlier back then, I don’t know what year it was when they banned boats over 36 feet I think I don’t even know if the sign is still there, don’t get to the channel very often.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I am surprised the city hasn’t put cameras all over the channel. It would be great entertainment, oh and I need a couple of cameras down at site six. 😊

Reactions: DWC

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Not in the channel, but at the launch ramp in Havasu I saw a guy sitting on the gunwale of his boat still on the trailer in the water while his buddy was turning the key trying to start the big block. He leaned over the carburetor while dumping a bit of what I'm assuming was fuel down the intake . . . . a few more cranks, and sure enough 'BOOM' backfired on him ! I was just a kid, and I knew it was coming ! LOL Singed his hair really good !

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Not even close to the Makitas with attachments going into holes at the sand bar circa 95-98

Or the drunk guy that smashed his buddy’s head into the center of the outdrive (prop) during a fight
At sand bar: booked on manslaughter around early 2000’s

Makitas going into holes with attachments??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Using RDP common core towing math, that 40 year old El Camino could tow 20,000 lbs safely today. The drum brakes, anemic 305 and flexible unitized body has aged to towing maturity!

No 305, big block.

Back in the 70's, gas was gas still less than a buck a gallon. Nobody even heard the term MPG back then! Fuel was the cheapest part of any river trip...

:cool:

hallett21

Reaction score
You never saw that up there Walt?
I try to say stay PG when discussing sex acts on RDP, why I don’t know lol

Gals jumping on bows and servicing unknown boat operators ?
Yeah, at least one makita was running any holiday sat aftetnoon out there

I was 7-9 and I remember that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score

Poor Walt, his innocence is endearing and hilarious at the same time.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I think this is a big part of why it is a little calmer now. Everyone has a camera/video now and can be seen doing anything at all times. good and bad in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

It got calmer when Regan changed the drinking age from 19 to 21 in AZ in 84.

It was pure chaos before that. Non stop river behavior. It was a beautiful thing to see.

These days, I think more than half the craziness that goes on is due to Onlyfans and Twitter! Everyone wants to be instafamous today!!! And the money they make is insane...

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

The debauchery seemed much more free-flowing back then, I don’t know maybe it’s still is, maybe I’m just old and don’t hang out in that crowd now.😊

hallett21

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people either never experienced or forgot going into Devils Elbow 3-6 wide with boats over 80mph.

I still remember how big of deal it was when they put buoys in copper canyon and steam boat.

How about the burger boat that probably sold blow lol.

The channel became the channel because LEO chased everyone out of the party spots.

I’d say havasu is much safer than before.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score

It got calmer when Regan changed the drinking age from 19 to 21 in AZ in 84.

It was pure chaos before that. Non stop river behavior. It was a beautiful thing to see.

These days, I think more than half the craziness that goes on is due to Onlyfans and Twitter! Everyone wants to be instafamous today!!! And the money they make is insane...
[/QUOTE]

That's the truth!👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people either never experienced or forgot going into Devils Elbow 3-6 wide with boats over 80mph.

I still remember how big of deal it was when they put buoys in copper canyon and steam boat.

The channel became the channel because LEO chased everyone out of the party spots.

Right? It was the blow, alcohol, weed and speed that cost the big bucks back then!

A triple axle trailer Never got anyone laid...

:rolleyes: :cool: ;)

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Yep! I was down there in the blue/white Daytona 1994 🤪

Attachments

• 42DBA39D-B59A-4314-97D1-ADD118075C57.jpeg
    42DBA39D-B59A-4314-97D1-ADD118075C57.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 266

hallett21

Reaction score
You never see 2 stroke blenders anymore.

Do the toons just carry 120v ones now?

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score

Holy Fok, the sandbar was out of control back then. That was some all-time shenanigans. Copper canyon held it's own as well until it got shut down on Holidays. Used to ride my 550 in to Copper as a teenager from our place @ Havasu Palms. Fire extinguisher removed and Dad's Beer hidden appropriately.Shit, we rowed a canoe into Copper one year w/ a keg, just because.🤣

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Yep, back then the channel and steamboat were somewhat family friendly, the real debauchery happened at Copper Canyon and the sandbar.

hallett21

Reaction score
Had a guy working on the havasu AC a few years back.

He said he and friends used to go to Copper Canyon with as manny cases of beer as the boat would fit.

Then start selling them around noon when everyone ran out 🤣

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
And all the Pastie Queen installers.

Water Romper

Reaction score
> The Houseboat incident was a classic
> Sorry about the girl getting her leg split open- Parents must have been sick about it
> Very valid point about "Disposable Cameras" back in the day- no digital proof then. I think your correct, maybe its not getting worse, just more visible (you tube etc)
> Glad (for the most part) it was a low key/low incident weekend.
> I'm not sure what this is: Makitas going into holes with attachments?? Are we talking power drills at the sandbar and guys' are drilling holes in hulls?

And for the Rumer mill: (this was quite a while back)
> Water LEO was in pursuit of a stolen pontoon, went through the channel, beached it somewhere and split on foot...I had a old LEO bud that claimed he witnessed it (around 1985?)
> There was a drive- buy shooting on the water, some "fine outstanding gentlemen" shot several rounds into Copper Canyon AND at the Sheriffs boat...again late 80's maybe 90's- I'm sure the RDP Havi-LEO's can validate this, this one seems pretty far fetched- but then who turns a houseboat around in the channel.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Memorial day weekend about 9-10 years ago I was 2 boats away from a yellow boat that back up into a girl and his brother at a sand bar in Havasu. They pulled the girl out and she was dead. I'll never forget looking and just seeing her legs hanging out of the boat. I think the guy was from Sylmar. That was actually the first and only time my boat was in Havasu. Kept to Parker ever since.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why havasu never did a version of the “keys” in this section. Would have been a gold mine

View attachment 1008710

Is it true that the same guy that helped design Disneyland also designed Lake Havasu City? also, is that a ski jump to the left of the bridge? Used for ski show during the grand opening? Amazing looking at this picture, what a vision McCullagh and the financial backers had. Did Don Laughlin have any input here or did he mainly stay in the Bullhead area? All this just for boats;)

Water Romper

Reaction score
Memorial day weekend about 9-10 years ago I was 2 boats away from a yellow boat that back up into a girl and his brother at a sand bar in Havasu. They pulled the girl out and she was dead. I'll never forget looking and just seeing her legs hanging out of the boat. I think the guy was from Sylmar. That was actually the first and only time my boat was in Havasu. Kept to Parker ever since.
ugh, not sure I would boat with crowds anymore if I witnessed that. Horrible, and preventable !

WYRD

Reaction score
Anybody hear of buzzing the bridge? Back in the day used to be a challenge wait till sundown and go through the channel on plane. I never did it but I know those who did.