WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AAA vs Good Sam's roadside while towing.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Anybody have Good Sam's. have you used it? My understanding is that AAA generally won't touch towing or RV's. Anyone use Good Sam's as a total replacement? I really don't want to pay for both.

Brilliant ideas?

hallett21

Reaction score
I carry AAA gold (whatever their highest one is) and Boat US highest towing level. Boat US says they will tow the boat on the trailer up to 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I currently have both. Dropping the Good Sam when it expires.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting that they wont tow rvs. I have their Gold Plus Rv and while ive never had to use their towing service (knock on wood) theyve promptly come out when i had a flat on our dump trailer that i had my rhino on while towing it with our RV. I havent read a lot of good reviews about Good Sam that have convinced me to drop AAA for them......yet

Vector

Reaction score
Interesting. I have AAA RV and assumed it covered towing the boat. I’ll have to look into it.

Your ad here

Reaction score
AAA will make things easy or just make up their own rules as the provide the service. I still have them but not to excited about it and they owe me $1000. The one thing that annoys me is they'll leave you on the side of the road for awhile but call back non stop selling you a repair service. Not once will they ask your condition.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have road side assistance through Statefarm, way better than both AAA and Good Sam. Only problem is you pay upfront, but 100% payback.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
We have RV plus with AAA. We lost a bearing on the boat trailer on the 40 and they sent a low boy out and towed it all the way to Havasu at no charge. It did take like 5 hours for them to get there though.

We also got a flat on our enclosed trailer and didn’t have the right lug wrench to change it out and they came out and put the spare on for us.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
AAA contracts out, so you are at the mercy of whatever person is on call and what business. Some won't honor the contract.

I have AAA Premiere, the highest level with every endorsement (MC, RV etc) I have never had them stiff me, but depending on weather/area/company it can be a crap shoot to get satisfaction. I have had to wait to get another company out from another company before.

I use it mostly for the (3) 100 mile tows + the (1) 200 mile tow, per card, per year that is free at Premiere level, that's a lot of security for traveling, since you can use it on anyone's vehicle, as long as you are present.

Try towing something 100 miles at your cost these days....you could have 10 family members with cards for the price of the 1 tow.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I have the highest level AAA, a couple years ago my truck died on the grapevine coming back from bakersfield towing a 26' enclosed trailer. AAA sent out a flat bed and put my truck on the flat bed and hooked the trailer to the truck and took me all the way to Huntington beach. didnt cost me a dime other than the $150 i handed the driver when he dropped me off. had AAA for 20 years know and wont go without it.

samsah33

Reaction score
Both my auto insurance (Wawanesa) covers roadside assistance (gas, towing, lockout, etc...) for pennies on the dollar, and my boat insurance (Progressive) covers breakdowns and towing on the water. Only downside is that BoatUS will prioritize their direct insurance customers over a cash customer, which I would be from their perspective. Should see what coverage your current policies provide.

RiverCruiser

Reaction score
I have AAA. I have used it multiple times with my truck/ toy hauler and a friends rv. Never had a problem. Last year our friends lost a engine in their rv about 8 miles from mammoth. We were right behind them with our truck/ trailer. I used my AAA for his rv. They sent out a lowboy picked their rv up took it to mammoth rv park backed it into his campsite and we camped the whole week. Called AAA the following Saturday and had them tow it to the Ford dealer I’m Bishop.

Backlash

Reaction score
AAA for over 20 years and we have been lucky thus far. We broke down in the middle of the desert last year outside of Blythe. We got our vehicle towed all the way back to L.A. but had to pay for a separate taxi fee for the four of us. AAA doesn't allow passengers in their trucks, crew cab tow trucks or not. So keep that in mind when you DO need roadside assistance.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
AAA contracts out, so you are at the mercy of whatever person is on call and what business. Some won't honor the contract.

I have AAA Premiere, the highest level with every endorsement (MC, RV etc) I have never had them stiff me, but depending on weather/area/company it can be a crap shoot to get satisfaction. I have had to wait to get another company out from another company before.

I use it mostly for the (3) 100 mile tows + the (1) 200 mile tow, per card, per year that is free at Premiere level, that's a lot of security for traveling, since you can use it on anyone's vehicle, as long as you are present.

Try towing something 100 miles at your cost these days....you could have 10 family members with cards for the price of the 1 tow.
I have the same deal...it’s paid for itself many times over. Since we tow cross country I’d never be without it

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
AAA towed my 1971 Chevelle and 1971 Sanger flatbottom when the distributor went out in the Chevelle. North of Chowchilla to Southeast of Fresno. That’s the only trailering experience I have. AAA Premier.

The story of not being able to ride in the AAA tow truck has never happened to me. I’ve ridden a few miles to 200 miles. Maybe too many people?

RiverCruiser

Reaction score
I think the not being able to ride in the tow truck is a COVID thing.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I think the not being able to ride in the tow truck is a COVID thing.

Yes, maybe a COVID thing. I’ve ridden in the truck with a tow a couple of times. Also, As someone else said, AAA contracts out. I know some individual tow companies allow passengers at their own discretion, @Backlash, do you happen to resemble these gentlemen
😁
F6AD1F8E-74EC-44C6-B107-A241C6DF24F7.png

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
I carry both.
Both companies contract out, tow company with better contract usually helps first.
My truck brown down with ToyHauler on rice road back in 2018.
Called AAA was told 5-6 hour wait. Called GS, was told 2. Owner/Operator showed up, stated he got both calls and since GS has better terms he responded to that call and was going to respond to other local AAA calls before he got me. Said GS pays him better then AAA, but knows peers where AAA pays better then GS.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have had good luck with AAA. Sometimes there reaction times are brutal bit for the most part they are good. I blew pit at Big River and they said it would be 2hkirs for a Parker contractor to get to me. I corrected her on that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My parents have AAA with the RV package. My dad's old truck broke down twice on the north side if the southbound grapevine (lemon lawed the truck). AAA sent out a full blown wrecker, hooked up to the truck with the 5th wheel still connected and drug the whole package all the way to Burbank with my parents in the cab with both drivers.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have AAA- I was looking to also get Good Sam as a back up in the event that AAA couldnt help but still havent done anything....

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Use to have AAA platinum RV an Good Sam’s for ever. Got rid of AAA last year and kept Good Sam’s. Also, purchased Coach-Net.

A lot of companies are dropping AAA. Outside of California, good luck. It depends on the company contracting with AAA.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Anybody have Good Sam's. have you used it? My understanding is that AAA generally won't touch towing or RV's. Anyone use Good Sam's as a total replacement? I really don't want to pay for both.

Brilliant ideas?
I have the AAA premium? plus RV coverage only used it once. Towed the suburban and boat about 75 miles. no cost (other than membership)

ltbaney1

Reaction score
AAA for over 20 years and we have been lucky thus far. We broke down in the middle of the desert last year outside of Blythe. We got our vehicle towed all the way back to L.A. but had to pay for a separate taxi fee for the four of us. AAA doesn't allow passengers in their trucks, crew cab tow trucks or not. So keep that in mind when you DO need roadside assistance.
no passengers must be a new or covid thing. i have always just gotten in the truck with them in the past.