WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SALESMAN KEPT SAYING I'M NOT TRYING TO BE OBTUSE......MY HOLIDAY NEW CAR BUYING EXPERIENCE

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If you are price shopping all that matters is the OTD. Currently they are adding all types of bs fees on top of sales price. You can call one dealer and get a sales price 30k. Call another and 35k both can be same otd after the bs fees added by dealer at 30k. I can easily figure sales tax and license fees out of the otd price giving me the true sales price.

Tacoma I got for my Mom for Christmas was sales price $29K. OTD after there BS was over 40k. Making the sales price worthless to know.
My family and I owned/operated dealerships for nearly 50 years.
Negotiating the sale price can only help you find the best otd, particularly if you are searching a very model & option specific vehicle.

gqchris

Reaction score
When I worked at the dealer, Value is all in the perception of the customer. Bottom Line.

I have seen guys get slapped and think they got the best deal in the world. Others thought they got robbed and were dipping into holdback and stole the car. It is all in the eye of the buyer.

I always just tried to provide the best service possible and 100% honesty. It always seemed to work for me when selling cars and boats.

grumpy88

Reaction score
When I worked at the dealer, Value is all in the perception of the customer. Bottom Line.

I have seen guys get slapped and think they got the best deal in the world. Others thought they got robbed and were dipping into holdback and stole the car. It is all in the eye of the buyer.

I always just tried to provide the best service possible and 100% honesty. It always seemed to work for me when selling cars and boats.
I sware i have paid over sticker and left the dealer feeling good because it was a decent experience . I have also done the back and forth and left with a vehicle and had a horrible experience . In long i agree with what you are saying .

rrrr

Reaction score
Never, ever, tell a car salesman want you want your payment to be.......

Congrats on the new car.

I was gonna say it. I thought everyone in America knew that, but I guess there are still some car buying virgins out there.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

two of the vehicles I’ve bought I went in there with corporate pricing codes (my work has a few automotive clients) and forced the price to 2% over dealer cost. The salesman’s face would instantly change as if he had just gotten his balls cut off knowing he was making jack on the car. I felt bad but at the same time I didn’t go in there and dick around I knew exactly what I wanted.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I was gonna say it. I thought everyone in America knew that, but I guess there are still some car buying virgins out there.
They make it hard. That's all they ask over and over.

When we bought my wife's edge I told him it doesn't matter what the payment is. He said what do you mean?? What is it's $2000 a month...

Idiot lol. I said I'm buying at 25k suv not a house I already have an idea what it will be. Just tell me the price man.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We got tired of the sell bullshit , for 35 years ? I buy from 1 guy call him up tell him what we want , colors when we want it make the deal hell most of the time we don’t test drive , clear your mind your ass will follow 😎

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
By getting the dealer to give you the same trade as Carmax you actually saved a little more money because in Nevada you on pay the difference in salestax

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Chatting with a couple of guys at a gathering of church folks. One guy walks up as we were talking about buying cars. We asked how do you determine the best deal when buying a car.

HOLY SHIT ...... his response.
I look at the models and find a car I like. If the price on the sticker is acceptable I just buy it. I have always bought them this way.... why? I was speechless. We were all shocked and it got quiet.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
If you do the Costco thing a few dealers will call you. I like the bid system as in saying to the dealers that you are putting in your model, Low bid wins. Unfortunately I couldn’t do it last time because there were low inventory on the year or so old model I wanted. Going back to Escalade after the lease is up on my current truck. I like the new ones but let someone else take the depreciation.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What you Should do is drive that car over to Henderson Honda and ask the sales guy how he likes your new car!

[emoji106]
HAHA - I did that once to a sales guy that was an idiot - bought the car at a different dealership then went back to look at car mats in the parts dept. in his dealership just so I would run into him and rub it in.
I did that also when I was about 21, helping my girlfriend buy an Acura Integra.

He was trying to sell me a demo, with 6,000 miles and a couple of dents, and wanted way to much. When I was negotiating with the Salesguy, he said "Maybe you just can't afford this car, and need to be looking at something cheaper". I said That's It, We are done. Little did he know, that she could have paid cash if she wanted to.

I came in a week later with the same car, for a much better deal, to buy the little wing thingy for the trunk. I made sure to find the salesguy while I was there. Told him he is an idiot, and should find another line of work.

Sent Using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
two of the vehicles I’ve bought I went in there with corporate pricing codes (my work has a few automotive clients) and forced the price to 2% over dealer cost. The salesman’s face would instantly change as if he had just gotten his balls cut off knowing he was making jack on the car. I felt bad but at the same time I didn’t go in there and dick around I knew exactly what I wanted.

Thats perception though. You thought you had them by the balls. But trust me, everyone still made money:)

When I worked for Ford, obviously i got A -Plan pricing. There is even still money in that after its all said and done.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I was in sales for many years.
Bikes, Boats, etc.

I liked it.
It's a tuff and unsteady racquet.

The quality of the Dealership and how they run it, is a big part of the battle with regards to their salesmen.

Selling "toys" is a little different than cars.
(For me anyway)

The customers and I both liked the same kind of crap and I genuinely wanted to help them find the right bike or boat.

But ....KNOWLEDGE IS KING when it comes to buying.

Now, how come this movie has not been brought up yet?
26xBAFBfOzoLnahJm.gif

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I did that also when I was about 21, helping my girlfriend buy an Acura Integra.

He was trying to sell me a demo, with 6,000 miles and a couple of dents, and wanted way to much. When I was negotiating with the Salesguy, he said "Maybe you just can't afford this car, and need to be looking at something cheaper". I said That's It, We are done. Little did he know, that she could have paid cash if she wanted to.

I came in a week later with the same car, for a much better deal, to buy the little wing thingy for the trunk. I made sure to find the salesguy while I was there. Told him he is an idiot, and should find another line of work.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Don’t worry, I can confirm car salesman, in most cases, are the lowest form of life. As a matter of fact, I’d say the same for the sales managers and finance managers as well. They’re probably worse in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Chatting with a couple of guys at a gathering of church folks. One guy walks up as we were talking about buying cars. We asked how do you determine the best deal when buying a car.

HOLY SHIT ...... his response.
I look at the models and find a car I like. If the price on the sticker is acceptable I just buy it. I have always bought them this way.... why? I was speechless. We were all shocked and it got quiet.

Why did you all get quiet? It's his money. I bet he's happy with the purchase too.

Honestly I don't like the hassle of buying a car. Last one was easy,; here is what we want give me a price. The salesman did and it was less than I was willing to pay. Done. Drove down and signed the papers, in and out in less than an hour.

My "egg timer" is how much time I have to spend in the dealership. They have 60 minutes to make it happen. No upsells unless I ask for it. Worked so far and my BP is way lower.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Why did you all get quiet? It's his money. I bet he's happy with the purchase too.

Honestly I don't like the hassle of buying a car. Last one was easy,; here is what we want give me a price. The salesman did and it was less than I was willing to pay. Done. Drove down and signed the papers, in and out in less than an hour.

My "egg timer" is how much time I have to spend in the dealership. They have 60 minutes to make it happen. No upsells unless I ask for it. Worked so far and my BP is way lower.
It’s absolutely his money. I would say it got quiet because before he walked up, the conversation was about getting the best deal possible, TrueCar, end of month, end of year, hours of research on pricing, aftermarket options versus dealer costs compared to customer cost ... everything was about getting the best deal.... much like here.... everyone has their opinion on how to get the best price. His comment of if the sticker is good... he buys it... was so left field compared to the conversation.... we didn’t quite understand it. Being it’s his money or your money, I don’t care how people make purchases.
I listen, if the person who bought something is happy.... I’m not going to shit in their oatmeal and ruined their pride of ownership.

j21black

Reaction score
Years ago remember reading about a guy who went to Newport Beach Ferrari to buy a new Fcar, was first ignored and then insulted with something to the effect of “can you afford it “, left and went to the McLaren dealer down the street bought a new one promptly drove it right up to sales area and asked “how do you like my new Mclaren”?
The stunned dropped jaws from the sales folks was I am sure worth it !

I know a guy, through my dad that was absolutely loaded, but if you looked at him in his worn out bib overalls, dirty fingernails, and beater pick up truck you would never guess it.

It was probably 30+ years ago, and he randomly stopped in at a car dealership on his way home from St Louis to look at a Caddy. Salesman kind of laughed at him and told him he couldn't afford it, etc the usual BS. He stuck around and went through the pricing and eventually told the salesman that he wanted to buy 2 of them, and would write a check on the spot for them. Salesman continued with the BS and finally called the guys bank, to which the bank told the salesman to give him whatever he wants. Buy this time he was good and pissed off and left.

He bought the dealership the next week, went in fired the salesman, and resold the dealership.

One of my favorite stories.

dribble

Reaction score
Here is a letter I wrote to the GM of Las Vegas Jaguar. All Car sales people should conduct themselves like this one did.

Dear Sir,

On April 7, 2021, in Rancho Cordova CA, my Girlfriend, Corina , and myself were in a highspeed head on collision in her 2016 Jaguar XF, caused by a distracted driver. As a result of the collision, Corina sustained some very serious injuries and of course her Jaguar was totaled. We decided to purchase another XF, as we found that the vehicle crumpled around the passenger compartment very well (given that the impact was so severe). We found getting a good used one somewhat of a challenge in the current market but finally saw an advertisement on your website for a Certified Used 2017 XF Prestige.

On April 27, 2021, I contacted the dealership and spoke with your sales representative, Sibel Kalacy. Since we were considering purchasing this vehicle sight unseen, I had a lot of questions and concerns. Sibel addressed every question I had and made several commitments to follow up with additional information. She kept every promise that she made and worked hard to ensure a smooth transaction. We flew to Las Vegas and completed the purchase of the vehicle on May 4.

Between Corina and myself, we have purchased several dozen new and used vehicles in the past four decades from new car dealers. We have not found an Automobile Sales Representative to be more professional than her. I would like to point out that her knowledge of the Jaguar product is exceptional.

Having been in the Automotive business for over 45 years (28 of which were as an Enforcement Representative and Manager with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair) and having dealt with automobile dealer personnel at every level, our evaluation of her performance in our transaction is not given lightly. She truly is an asset to your organization.

Sincerely,

2Driver

Reaction score
No matter how bad they mess up and make it a miserable experience, it always ends with.,…

We strive for 100% exceptional service. If there was any part of the buying experience not exceptional, let us know so we can make it exceptional. You'll be getting a survey in the mail we would appreciate it if you would convey the exceptional service we provided to you.

Mike K

Reaction score
Easy way to become a car buying expert ... seriously ... fun and easy ... go on YouTube and search “Kevin Hunter ... the Homework Guy” ... super cool ... 3rd grade easy learning ... and mind blowing BS car dealers use against us ... coolest videos ever. He has lots of to the point short cool how not to get screwed by a car dealer.
I made my kids watch all of them ... you know how you can’t tell your kids stuff sometimes ... and it’s better if someone else tells them ... yeah ... that’s how it worked out ... . they were blown away and grateful! 🍻

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
And it always helps to pre arrange your own financing. Very often they will try to take it in the back end, a lot of people don't realize when a payment a dealer is pitching is out of line with what you actually think you are buying.

And on a couple of occassions they offered a better financing deal than the one we walked in with, in both cases closing the deal.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
the favorite one I have seen after trying to (and walking) from 2 different car purchases in the last few months is the "nitrogen in the tires." Bro, air is 78% nitrogen and I own an air compressor. Why the fuck would I pay you $400 for nitrogen in the tires?

pkbullet

Reaction score
I love being a car salesman. I started on the floor in 1989. I’ve met shitty and great people in it over the more than 30 years. They are kinda like every other group of people, some good some bad. I’ve had horrible experiences with every type of occupation and paid much bigger margins than the auto industry achieves. In all honesty I’ve never cared about the negative connotation of my chosen career. I choose to dislike individuals based on interactions not groups. Maybe the exception would be personal injury attorneys😁

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Don’t worry, I can confirm car salesman, in most cases, are the lowest form of life. As a matter of fact, I’d say the same for the sales managers and finance managers as well. They’re probably worse in my experience.

This. I feel bad for many of the salesmen just trying to make a living but the managers are usually cocksuckers. Been in commission sales for 25 years and car dealerships are the most toxic places to work. You couldn't pay me enough to be a part of that BS.

As for most of our auto purchases, it's been great as I always know someone that hooks me up. Our deals are usually easy. Although Vegas has become more corporate over the years it's still a super connected type town. It's still more; who you know and not what you know.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I love being a car salesman. I started on the floor in 1989. I’ve met shitty and great people in it over the more than 30 years. They are kinda like every other group of people, some good some bad. I’ve had horrible experiences with every type of occupation and paid much bigger margins than the auto industry achieves. In all honesty I’ve never cared about the negative connotation of my chosen career. I choose to dislike individuals based on interactions not groups. Maybe the exception would be personal injury attorneys[emoji16]

It’s great when you own the dealership too.

pkbullet

Reaction score
It’s great when you own the dealership too.

Only bought it in 2011, loved all the jobs from sales to F+I and the desk. Really enjoyed the competitive nature of the business. I found the ability to quantify each day very rewarding.