WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California lake levels illustrate severity of the drought

rrrr

Reaction score
With more dry weather in the forecasts, California's lakes will continue to see depleted levels.

MicrosoftTeams-image-52.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
With more dry weather in the forecasts, California's lakes will continue to see depleted levels.

They are letting water out of Castaic on purpose, the water tower and tower walk way need to be seismically retrofitted, they have known about this for several years but instead of doing it in '14-'15 when the lake was low because of years of drought they decide to do it now. The lake was near full pool in March.

You can see the tower in the pics from '14-'15

020415_news_Castaic-water_level_Dam_01-1024x819.jpg
f4f2a7477687a8cd44993d71ddb0bd6c.jpg

Boat 405

Reaction score

nope. It demonstrates the lack of ability to keep a balanced budget of water. You have more people working off the same infrastructure as 50 years ago. It’s bound to fail. Sounds just like our political future In CA. Going down the drain.

hallett3

Reaction score
They are letting water out of Castaic on purpose, the water tower and tower walk way need to be seismically retrofitted, they have known about this for several years but instead of doing it in '14-'15 when the lake was low because of years of drought they decide to do it now. The lake was near full pool in March.

You can see the tower in the pics from '14-'15

View attachment 1009620 View attachment 1009621
Kinda reminds me when they repave a major street and on a later date cut it up for major water pipe replacement. Totally mismanage. These ass clowns who are In charge of the water management of California are making a lot of money (wages) to make stupid decisions. Agree no common sense. When a lake is low on dry years fix it. All of California’s reservoirs were full to capacity two years ago. The mismanagement has allowed so much water for out to sea.

timstoy

Reaction score
A friend of mine was at Clear Lake in Nor Cal and said the water level was very low. Uncontrolled illegal aliens are a major drain on water, electricity and housing. Yet Newsom burys his head in the ground and ignores the problem. Be prepared for electrical blackouts and water rationing this summer. Feel sorry for all electric car owners. I guess they can buy generators to charge their cars if they can find them!

rrrr

Reaction score
nope. It demonstrates the lack of ability to keep a balanced budget of water. You have more people working off the same infrastructure as 50 years ago. It’s bound to fail. Sounds just like our political future In CA. Going down the drain.

You're right about that, but regardless of the stupidity of the custodians, the absence of rain and the continued use of what water remains will result in lower lake levels. I was hoping for an El Niño or whatever this year, but I guess that's not happening.

Unlike the RDP Lake Mead Guru, I don't have any conspiracy theories to peddle. I'm just reading the paper.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I just read an article about how the California reservoirs are designed to hold 5 years of fresh water supply to California when full. They were all full in 2019. They have been draining the water into the ocean for environmental reasons. Saving certain small species of fish somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat 405

Reaction score
You're right about that, but regardless of the stupidity of the custodians, the absence of rain and the continued use of what water remains will result in lower lake levels. I was hoping for an El Niño or whatever this year, but I guess that's not happening.

Unlike the RDP Lake Mead Guru, I don't have any conspiracy theories to peddle. I'm just reading the paper.
I did read that La Niña is over. So that’s a good thing.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Just saw a article on Lake Powell levels, this is getting serious no doubt, they said its down 140'.
But yet building in Vegas, LA, AZ etc. is at record pace, it will never recover they said. That is if they dont top building, even then it's iffy
NSF
Found this little video from 2019, gives you a stark picture of whats happening, damn scary

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Just saw a article on Lake Powell levels, this is getting serious no doubt, they said its down 140'.
But yet building in Vegas, LA, AZ etc. is at record pace, it will never recover they said. That is if they dont top building, even then it's iffy
NSF

A Golf Course on Every Corner, Swimming Pool with Every New Home and then Add in Landscape Irrigation and just Plain Population Explosion in the SW Desert. What do you expect?

Not So Fast

Reaction score
A Golf Course on Every Corner, Swimming Pool with Every New Home and then Add in Landscape Irrigation and just Plain Population Explosion in the SW Desert. What do you expect?
You are absolutely correct, last visit to So OC after living in Havasu for the last 19 years, I was really taken aback at the foliage and trees, you get used to it when you live there but my God have we forgotten that its a desert, how much water does it take to keep it all green, beautiful, absolutely, but at what cost ?????????????

500bbc

Reaction score

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If you will pull out your USA map, and look just to the left of California you will notice a large blue area. This is the Pacific Ocean. It holds an unlimited amount of water. To make it drinkable it will need some expensive processing. But once we run out of water, expensive water is better than no water.

Let me predict now, that Pelosi, Newsom and usual group of fellow rich cronies will be deeply involved in the development of such water processing facilities.

Nevada and Arizona will have no choice but to pay for California's Colorado River water allotments. Then this money will be used to build the water treatment facilities, and line the pockets of the politicians in charge.

Never let a crisis go to waste! Even if you have to manufacture one.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
And don't let us forget "Toilet To Tap" water plans. More opportunities to make money at the water user's expense.

RodnJen

Reaction score
If you will pull out your USA map, and look just to the left of California you will notice a large blue area. This is the Pacific Ocean. It holds an unlimited amount of water. To make it drinkable it will need some expensive processing. But once we run out of water, expensive water is better than no water.

Let me predict now, that Pelosi, Newsom and usual group of fellow rich cronies will be deeply involved in the development of such water processing facilities.

Nevada and Arizona will have no choice but to pay for California's Colorado River water allotments. Then this money will be used to build the water treatment facilities, and line the pockets of the politicians in charge.

Never let a crisis go to waste! Even if you have to manufacture one.

They've been trying to build one in Huntington Beach for years, tons of pushback.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct, last visit to So OC after living in Havasu for the last 19 years, I was really taken aback at the foliage and trees, you get used to it when you live there but my God have we forgotten that its a desert, how much water does it take to keep it all green, beautiful, absolutely, but at what cost ?????????????

Honestly we need the trees in areas this densely populated. They cool temps and filter the air.

If all landscaping went bone dry here the temp would shoot up a few more degrees. You can’t pave over everything, remove all trees and expect temperatures to stay the same.

If water was truly a problem, Agriculture would relocate and they would stop the water releases. Between Ag and water releases, that accounts for like 80% of the water use in CA. Me and everyone else watering a lawn for 5 minutes a day is meaningless.

The plan in CA is to try to keep people in the urban city centers.

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
And don't let us forget "Toilet To Tap" water plans. More opportunities to make money at the water user's expense.
MWD is planning on getting into the toilet to the tap business in the near future. And it will be BIG!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
can't speak for socal but norcal can solve there water problem by doing 2 things. Build a big ass dam in the green triangle and block off the california aqueduct. you can keep the The Los Angeles Aqueduct, you stole that water fair and square...

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
MWD is planning on getting into the toilet to the tap business in the near future. And it will be BIG!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Well yeah, because urban use is 10% of the total, that'll fix it.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I heard something awhile back that was interesting to say the least. Most of California agriculture still uses very archaic flood irrigation methods to water their crops which is incredibly wasteful. The Imperial Valley for example wastes water using this irrigation method and on top of that the farmers are making more money selling their water rights to San Diego County. So Imperial Valley farmers are now farming less because they are selling their water down stream for massive profits. Part of the deal with San Diego was that the county was supposed to provide funding to the farmers to implement lest wasteful irrigation methods, but that never happened. Or it did and the money went into someones pockets.

500bbc

Reaction score
"Statewide, average water use is roughly 50% environmental, 40% agricultural, and 10% urban, "

EDIT
Urban water use sectors include residential, commercial, industrial, institutional, and other water use sectors.

Personal use, including landscape, is far down on the bottom of that 10%.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Your democrap captors will always make sure there is a problem...so they half ass fix it and make themselves filthy rich at your expense. The Republicans are only slightly less sinister. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

...In my 20 years starring directly down on Lake Oroville...I have only seen it ffull...I mean magic full...once...there have been winters after a drought summer and before any snow run off ...where I had to launch from the mud at Bidwell Marina...The lake level year by year was never consistent...
FE8A145B-84A8-4790-94EF-6025FC03135A.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
"Statewide, average water use is roughly 50% environmental, 40% agricultural, and 10% urban, "

This x1000.

In the last 2 weeks they have let out 90% of the inflows for environmental reasons to protect approx 1000 salmon.

mobldj

Reaction score
if anyone had any fucking sense they would build asap 24 ft pipelines from up north where there is always water. it aint rocket science.

westair

Reaction score
It will come back. I live in Redding for about 8 months. I literally saw Shasta Lake at historic lows and fill up with about 5 weeks of rain. Pretty cool to see.
it was filling up too fast .... they were dumping water out to make room the incoming to prevent flooding. It was cool to see .... they've been trying to raise the dam by 18' but hasn't happened yet

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

“The paper” IS the conspiracy...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It will come back. I live in Redding for about 8 months. I literally saw Shasta Lake at historic lows and fill up with about 5 weeks of rain. Pretty cool to see.

It was in the spillway twice I think when I lived there.
I saw the arms look like creeks, a literal creek under the I5 bridge.
Then full like magic that spring.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
if anyone had any fucking sense they would build asap 24 ft pipelines from up north where there is always water. it aint rocket science.

We don’t need the water....

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If the idiot blue politicians would use the water storage facilities wisely, Kalifornistan wouldn't be in this snare. Billions and billions of gallons wasted. All in order to spend tax money on the dregs and diverting productive money on water storage maintenance

You know as well as I do that doing ANYTHING to benefit the people or the workings of the State is the very LAST thing on any CA politicians mind.
Collecting wealth is the ONLY priority.

Supercup

Reaction score
I have been to Lake Tahoe every summer for 49 years - water level is about average this year - in 2014 and 2015 the dock could not be used and for the first time since 1992, where the lake was at 6,220 the lowest level ever recorded (measurements taken since 1874). The bouy field had to be move out 200' in order to have enough depth - in some areas people just punted and the concrete blocks that the bouys are attached to were at water level - we could walk out 80' past end of the dock - no water. it was at 6,223 - it was not spilling out until the dredged a new channel to the dam.

Now they said it would "never" fill back up in 2015. In 2016 it rose 3' (6,224) in 2017 another 5' to full pool - 6,229 ft and stayed there thru 2019. So we went in 2 years from dry 80' out from the end of the dock to 7' deep at the dock. The next decline began in 2020 when they opened most all the gates and let a ton of water out March - July - in fact so much water that they would not allow any of the rafting compaines on the river, due to being too dangerous.

Less snow this year, 2021 and a lot of water let out through summer and fall of 2020 - lake is down to 6,225 and by end of season will likely be at 6,223.5 +/- Just takes 1 good snow year to fill the lake back up - and it holds a $#!t ton of water - in 2017 it gained 8.7 billion gallons in 2 days in an early winter storm and 40 billion gallons that month (that is 122,755 acre feet of water) - to put that in perspective that is not a lot as Lake Tahoe holds 40 trillion gallons of water (122,755,000 acre feet of water).

No matter what they say it will go up and down - how much it goes down is directly related to the prior season and how much water they let out. But it will continue to "refill" to full pool well after I am long gone.

Link: http://tahoe.uslakes.info/Level.asp

If you want to solve the water problem you have to consider either reducing the population, increasing the infastructure to hold water or reducing farming in the California. The Farmers water rights were negotiated/handed out back before we had 40 million people! Can't blame the Farmers for securing great water deals and building great businesses that have been and continue to be good for the State. But those deals were cut when their was no concern over water - The farmers use 34 miillion acre feet of water per year to farm - that is 11,078,934,000,000 gallons - 11 trillion if you were not sure what that number is! So they could drain Tahoe every 4 years. Tahoe is the plug was pulled would put 14.5" of water across every inch of the State of California.
California uses about 43 million acre feet of water - 34 million for ag and 9 million for urban - so about 79/21 split. Fewer people, more infastructure or fewer farm acres? Something has got to give and time will tell what

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have been to Lake Tahoe every summer for 49 years - water level is about average this year - in 2014 and 2015 the dock could not be used and for the first time since 1992, where the lake was at 6,220 the lowest level ever recorded (measurements taken since 1874). The bouy field had to be move out 200' in order to have enough depth - in some areas people just punted and the concrete blocks that the bouys are attached to were at water level - we could walk out 80' past end of the dock - no water. it was at 6,223 - it was not spilling out until the dredged a new channel to the dam.

Now they said it would "never" fill back up in 2015. In 2016 it rose 3' (6,224) in 2017 another 5' to full pool - 6,229 ft and stayed there thru 2019. So we went in 2 years from dry 80' out from the end of the dock to 7' deep at the dock. The next decline began in 2020 when they opened most all the gates and let a ton of water out March - July - in fact so much water that they would not allow any of the rafting compaines on the river, due to being too dangerous.

Less snow this year, 2021 and a lot of water let out through summer and fall of 2020 - lake is down to 6,225 and by end of season will likely be at 6,223.5 +/- Just takes 1 good snow year to fill the lake back up - and it holds a $#!t ton of water - in 2017 it gained 8.7 billion gallons in 2 days in an early winter storm and 40 billion gallons that month (that is 122,755 acre feet of water) - to put that in perspective that is not a lot as Lake Tahoe holds 40 trillion gallons of water (122,755,000 acre feet of water).

No matter what they say it will go up and down - how much it goes down is directly related to the prior season and how much water they let out. But it will continue to "refill" to full pool well after I am long gone.

Link: http://tahoe.uslakes.info/Level.asp

If you want to solve the water problem you have to consider either reducing the population, increasing the infastructure to hold water or reducing farming in the California. The Farmers water rights were negotiated/handed out back before we had 40 million people! Can't blame the Farmers for securing great water deals and building great businesses that have been and continue to be good for the State. But those deals were cut when their was no concern over water - The farmers use 34 miillion acre feet of water per year to farm - that is 11,078,934,000,000 gallons - 11 trillion if you were not sure what that number is! So they could drain Tahoe every 4 years. Tahoe is the plug was pulled would put 14.5" of water across every inch of the State of California.
California uses about 43 million acre feet of water - 34 million for ag and 9 million for urban - so about 79/21 split. Fewer people, more infastructure or fewer farm acres? Something has got to give and time will tell what

You forgot that they release more total water to the ocean than the population and the farmers use combined.
2 years ago they said we had enough water for 5-7 years.. where did it all go? To the ocean.

We don’t have a water supply problem, we don’t have water storage capacity problem, we have a water release problem caused by radical environmentalists.

Supercup

Reaction score
You forgot that they release more total water to the ocean than the population and the farmers use combined.
2 years ago they said we had enough water for 5-7 years.. where did it all go? To the ocean.

We don’t have a water supply problem, we don’t have water storage capacity problem, we have a water release problem caused by radical environmentalists.

I only focused on what we used and the split of that use - but it is a fair point that 50% +/- of our water every year is used for environmental purposes - but that has been the case for the last 20 years and look at use - for environmental which is all other streams not part of the water system - use has ranged from 28% (2014 drought year) to 62% in 2006 (heavy rain year) and keep looking back it was higher before, as we used less water overall. While the State is being torched by extreme environmentalists - they are not having much impact on the "use" of water for environmental purposes - the main swing is based on the amount of water we get each year. The key to consistent future supply is having a place to store some portion of that in big water years and the infrastructure from those storage locations to get it to the user when we have a down water year - so we don't have water shortages.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Yup.
Half of CA’s water goes to “environmental purposes”.

“A common claim is that agriculture consumes about 80% of “developed” water supply, yet this excludes the half swiped off the top for environmental purposes. Farmers typically consume about 80% of the remainder, so only 40% of the total. Urban users get the rest.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brgrcru

Reaction score
the fucksticks
Commies In sacramento . Don't give a fucking shit , About anything, that is good for this state.
Yet the idiot voters , will vote for them.
Rinse repeat .
Comon sense , has left the building 40 years ago.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Yup.
Half of CA’s water goes to “environmental purposes”.

“A common claim is that agriculture consumes about 80% of “developed” water supply, yet this excludes the half swiped off the top for environmental purposes. Farmers typically consume about 80% of the remainder, so only 40% of the total. Urban users get the rest.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this "Modern Math"?

hallett21

Reaction score
As an avid fisherman I want to keep the steel head and salmon populations around if at all possible.

For instance in Malibu the dam (can’t remember the name) in Malibu canyon is literally 70-90 ft tall holding back 98% sediment. In its day it did hold a large amount of water. So by all means tear that one down.

That doesn’t mean we can’t build new reservoirs that don’t effect migrating fish.

To those who do well drilling. Is there not a way to take water from full pool CA lakes and pump that water back into the aquifers? Underground we avoid evaporation and replenish the earths storage tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk