WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Ram Battery issue

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
2020 Ram 3/4 ton with all the extras, has the bigger of the diesel motors. About 8 months old and around 8000 miles. 3 times the dealer (Moss Brothers/Riverside) has put a set of new batteries in it!!!!! they claim nothing is wrong with the electrical system but 20 minutes after a full charge the starter clicks and it won't turn over. voltage reads 12.8 it will start with the booster pack hooked on one battery. any ideas?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
thats what I think, the truck is my sons in California. he's thinking about selling it and getting a Ford
I’ve had fairly good service at Moss.
They don’t seem to be to savy on electrical gremlin type stuff though.
If the writers are dragging their asses tell your son to get ahold of Kieth D. the service manager. He seems to be able to get shit done.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Just put a new battery in Angela's jeep two weeks ago. Fucker took a shit over night, no warning at all. I thought it might be the alternator so I had her take it to the dealership since she needed an oil change as well. Nope! It's the battery, and it's not under her current warranty (2 1/2 years).
Redlands Dodge wanted $280 for a new factory one plus another $100 for the extended warranty on it. 😤
She proudly told them to fuck off and give her a jump start so she could get home up the mountain and we got a brand new one for $150 at our local Napa. I had it changed out in under 7 minutes. Luckily I could find my 10 mm socket! 🤣

boatpi

Reaction score
Did you involve Ram Care?? That’s the factory connection I would be all over them immediately on the phone they do excellent work it’s almost equivalent to Lexus quality connection.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If the starter clicks, but doesn't spin at 12.8, I'd be inclined to think either a starter or ignition circuit fault. I don't know squat about 2020's, but a '13 I work on has the "bump the key" and it spins until fired. There's so much extra stuff in the new trucks, most being controlled by a body module talking with an engine module. A re-flash of one or the other may help...or hurt :oops:

azsunfun

Reaction score
go with starter, and double check all electrical connections clean and tight

boatpi

Reaction score
On some new cars The paint over the ground with all the groundstraps it’s often the case some sort of missing ground but it’s under warranty and ram care will get involved they put pressure and make it happen.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Fuck all the bullshit. it needs to be lemoned. It’s an obvious electrical issue which will never be solved. Dump it.

petie6464

Reaction score
Take it somewhere else, these clowns obviously don't know what the issue is.

It's either not charging and or has a massive drain somewhere, a auto electrical guy should be the one looking at it if they even exist anymore🤔

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Take it somewhere else, these clowns obviously don't know what the issue is.

It's either not charging and or has a massive drain somewhere, a auto electrical guy should be the one looking at it if they even exist anymore🤔

It‘ an 8 mo truck. Why bother. Simply tell them to replace it. It’s been in 3 times for the same shit.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I had something similar happen with my 17 started with the battery terminals had a loose ground. I would check those then start working out from the batteries. This sucks but that's my $.02.

petie6464

Reaction score
It‘ an 8 mo truck. Why bother. Simply tell them to replace it. It’s been in 3 times for the same shit.

Yeah let us know how that's goes... Now there is a way to start that process, first stop dealing with the dealership, there only goal us to take your money and ignore you if you have an issue.

A call to Chrysler Care and open a claim is what to do.

Crying on here or Facebook only shows your still on your mama's tit.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yeah let us know how that's goes... Now there is a way to start that process, first stop dealing with the dealership, there only goal us to take your money and ignore you if you have an issue.

A call to Chrysler Care and open a claim is what to do.

Crying on here or Facebook only shows your still on your mama's tit.

It works out just as intended. On two occasions, our family had to lemon law a car. One a BMW, the other a Jag. In both cases they gave us new cars. 3 strikes you OUT. simple as that.

PS. NOT SURE IF YOUR DIRECTING the crying comment to me ?

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
Some dealers Install a hidden GPS for dealer track him and fail to remove it when the vehicle is sold.

It uses battery power if it doesn’t start after it’s been sitting for a few days it could be running the batteries down excessively just a thought.

Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score
car starting is the same from my 65 dodge to 2030 models, if starter driven motor, needs good electrical connections from battery and ground to solonoid circuit from ignition, do you have stock alarm? possible weak connection!!

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
the batteries are not draining. We put a full charge on then , within 5 minutes all we got was a click from the starter. All of the lights, power step. etc. we still working fine. Thats why I say it's the dam starter.

boatpi

Reaction score
Look at the relay and fuse box under the hood, make sure all of them are firmly pressed into place. This could be just a bad relay, etc. In the end it is about an experienced mechanic working on it. Call RAM Care, tell them it is a non start after 3 repairs and they your are considering a lemon alw, but really want to keep it, sort of a last chance. They will look up the record and get on it immediately. They know the lemon laws and do not wish to go down that road.

I had a battery drain issue with my 2020 RAM 1500. It was traced to a left over dealer GPS under the dashbard. Once removed, no issues whatsoever. I complained to RAM Care about my time involved. One week later they called me, gave me 3 years oil change and tire rotation nationwide, so about $600+ in free service.

azsunfun

Reaction score
Look at the relay and fuse box under the hood, make sure all of them are firmly pressed into place. This could be just a bad relay, etc. In the end it is about an experienced mechanic working on it. Call RAM Care, tell them it is a non start after 3 repairs and they your are considering a lemon alw, but really want to keep it, sort of a last chance. They will look up the record and get on it immediately. They know the lemon laws and do not wish to go down that road.

I had a battery drain issue with my 2020 RAM 1500. It was traced to a left over dealer GPS under the dashbard. Once removed, no issues whatsoever. I complained to RAM Care about my time involved. One week later they called me, gave me 3 years oil change and tire rotation nationwide, so about $600+ in free service.
very good point the clicking could be relay he's hearing, again bad connection if alarm still in truck, starter interrupt could cause lower voltage to relay, process of elimination

TimeBandit

Reaction score
quote " voltage reads 12.8 it will start with the booster pack hooked on one battery. "

This is the head scratcher. If it reads 12.8 and "clicks only" but starts with a booster pack?

If the booster pack is put across the battery terminals and not positive to battery and negative to engine block I am stumped.

When the booster pack is put just on the battery you are using the same grounds as the factory battery set up... does it matter which battery you put the booster on?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
A 5 minute voltage drop test on the power and ground circuits will tell you everything you need to know

boatpi

Reaction score
It’s not just a voltage it has to have amperage to turn over

but it could be a grounding issue a lot of new cars have that so on your booster package put the ground somewhere on the engine block and see if that resolves the issue

or a grounding post starter works off the engine block ground and there could be a gap there between the framework and the engine block. It’s rarely a starter ever goes out it’s going to be a really or a grounding issue is my best guess.

WYRD

Reaction score
It’s not just a voltage it has to have amperage to turn over

but it could be a grounding issue a lot of new cars have that so on your booster package put the ground somewhere on the engine block and see if that resolves the issue

or a grounding post starter works off the engine block ground and there could be a gap there between the framework and the engine block. It’s rarely a starter ever goes out it’s going to be a really or a grounding issue is my best guess.
This is what I was going to comment on. It's not getting a heavy enough ground to complete the circuit when the starter turns over. Might be a loose ground or ground point that got painted before harness installation at the factory

grumpy88

Reaction score
Did you involve Ram Care?? That’s the factory connection I would be all over them immediately on the phone they do excellent work it’s almost equivalent to Lexus quality connection.
Ram care actually sucks . I had a item owed to me by the dealer in writing and in the end ram care told me they were sorry but they could not force the dealer to do anything .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
2020 Ram 3/4 ton with all the extras, has the bigger of the diesel motors. About 8 months old and around 8000 miles. 3 times the dealer (Moss Brothers/Riverside) has put a set of new batteries in it!!!!! they claim nothing is wrong with the electrical system but 20 minutes after a full charge the starter clicks and it won't turn over. voltage reads 12.8 it will start with the booster pack hooked on one battery. any ideas?

12.7 is a fully charged battery. You have super battery right there! LoL

So it's definitely Not a battery issue for starters, which means, that dealership is staffed by complete idiots.

Get a lawyer and start the lemon law process. No reason to let the bleeding continue.

Dodge. 🙄

boatpi

Reaction score
If a dealer owes you ram care can’t help the dealer is a franchisee completely independent send him a demand letter if not take him to small claims.