WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The drive between Havasu and SoCal

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Is becoming fucking unbearable!!!. Yesterday driving home on the 40. Single lane construction between the river and all through needles. Making a huge flood control channel between the highway. WHY??? Total waste of time and money. It’s the desert. Flood control channel??? It never rains that much to warrant that. Then. Three!!!! Huge big rig truck crashes between Kelbaker rd and Barstow. Nonstop sea of slow ass moron big rig drivers. Then traffic going through Victorville. Then get through that. Big Brush fire [emoji91] along side of freeway in Hesperia causing traffic. Then. 4 car pile up crash watching fire and helicopter dropping water on fire. Get to the top of the Cajon pass and 10-15 mph all the way to the bottom no matter the time of day. All of this on a Wednesday afternoon! Doesn’t anyone work?? What is wrong with people?

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Is becoming fucking unbearable!!!. Yesterday driving home on the 40. Single lane construction between the river and all through needles. Making a huge flood control channel between the highway. WHY??? Total waste of time and money. It’s the desert. Flood control channel??? It never rains to warrant that. Then. Three!!!! Huge big rig truck crashes between Kelbaker rd and Barstow. Nonstop sea of slow ass moron big rig drivers. Then traffic going through Victorville. Then get through that. Big Brush fire [emoji91] along side of freeway in Hesperia causing traffic. Then. 4 car pile up crash watching fire and helicopter dropping water on fire. Get to the top of the Cajon pass and 10-15 mph all the way to the bottom no matter the time of day. All of this on a Wednesday afternoon! Doesn’t anyone work?? What is wrong with people?

You've never seen a flash flood in the desert I'm guessing?

A few years ago one completely shut down the 10 cause it took out an overpass. Not good.

I've seen em on Rice Road too...

They are gearing up for monsoon season. Smart move.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score

A few years ago one completely shut down the 10 cause it took out an overpass. Not good.

I've been driving this route for 40 years. Does it all of a sudden rain more now? I agree with the flash floods but this isn't Rice Rd.

DMF

Reaction score
Is becoming fucking unbearable!!!. Yesterday driving home on the 40. Single lane construction between the river and all through needles. Making a huge flood control channel between the highway. WHY??? Total waste of time and money. It’s the desert. Flood control channel??? It never rains to warrant that. Then. Three!!!! Huge big rig truck crashes between Kelbaker rd and Barstow. Nonstop sea of slow ass moron big rig drivers. Then traffic going through Victorville. Then get through that. Big Brush fire [emoji91] along side of freeway in Hesperia causing traffic. Then. 4 car pile up crash watching fire and helicopter dropping water on fire. Get to the top of the Cajon pass and 10-15 mph all the way to the bottom no matter the time of day. All of this on a Wednesday afternoon! Doesn’t anyone work?? What is wrong with people?
Sounds like you need a break from Havasu!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Shouldn’t you have been working?😂🤗

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've been driving this route for 40 years. Does it all of a sudden rain more now? I agree with the flash floods but this isn't Rice Rd.

Nope. It's been doing it every year since time began. I remember seeing em in high school.

Youve never seen the tragic results of monsoon season in Havasu either?

grumpy88

Reaction score

We were one of the last cars to make it across the bridge before it washed away . Our friend left the river roughly 5 minutes after us and was stuck on the freeway because the bridge was gone ! Crazy stuff that much water flow can do .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We were one of the last cars to make it across the bridge before it washed away . Our friend left the river roughly 5 minutes after us and was stuck on the freeway because the bridge was gone ! Crazy stuff that much water flow can do .

I sat in traffic for a good long while coming home. They had both directions traveling on one side of the highway for awhile.

I came home late at night mid week too. So much for my awesome plan! 👎

nowski

Reaction score

Why are they building the flood control channel you ask??? Like all over politicised propaganda global warming will soon come to an end.

I just want to know where they plan on putting all those EV charging stations going through the desert...

D19

Reaction score
On the way home, I check the traffic right before Kelbaker to see if I should go through Amboy.

I've found a few dirt roads that bypass the pass and parts of the 15 through Hesperia and Victorville. I don't think they save much time, but at least we are moving.

This is the best way though....

877ACC2C-CEC8-40D8-8B59-B52378B0A034.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you don’t like the traffic, stop going.

It is your (our) choice to live in a densely populated shithole with high taxes, horrible roadways, and great weather.

You (we) have to live with the consequences of that choice, and the consequences of people we collectively put in power that have continually mismanaged our tax dollars for decades.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Fuck Me, I muse be gettin old, I've gotten so bitter about traffic / closures over the last few years.
I'm leaving for Blythe in the morning around 3:00 am to avoid as much BS as possible.

Ya know...

If there is any construction work going on, isn't that the time they are hard at it?

I wouldn't know, since I haven't been awake at 3am in for ages. :p

I usually leave around 9am. Works for me.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
On the way home, I check the traffic right before Kelbaker to see if I should go through Amboy.

I've found a few dirt roads that bypass the pass and parts of the 15 through Hesperia and Victorville. I don't think they save much time, but at least we are moving.

This is the best way though....

View attachment 1012094
No Doubt! I miss the days of KCCB-HEC-KHII or direct if R-2501 is cold

Reactions: D19

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Been driving to Vegas through Searchlight (thanks Ziggy). Did it two days ago at 5am. Not a big deal other than the three semi that were going slow and passed with ease. After the train tacks it was smooth sailing. Got to LAS with time to spare and got my wristband at the gate. That was the time saver. When arrived in Honolulu there was a line for the Scamdemic that went on for many gates. Our son’s friend said it took him 1.5 hours the day before. Tourism is back in the islands and it is More of cluster F than the 40. :aniteef: At least we can move around the US.....for now.

D19

Reaction score
We drove straight from Santa Barbara a month ago, wow! What a great, pleasant drive. It was like coming from PHX. I think the problem is where we live (So Cal). :)

Your ad here

Reaction score
15/40 to Havasu has always been miserable and I stopped taking that route 8 years ago. Always traffic on the pass. Always a big rig crash. Always road work. The E route was always the easiest. RSM to Dillion rd. for 1st stop and 2nd stop in Blythe and never busy or lines.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a break from Havasu!

Yep. I did that drive for 11 years. Every weekend during the summer for 11 years straight and I couldn't take it anymore. I would look at a rock on the road and knew exactly how many miles I was from the front door of the Havasu house. Got burned out at the end. Kids got older and we were all ready for a change of scenery. I wouldn't change a thing from all those years. Really enjoyed all the trips and memories we made and all the friends we made as well and we still make 4-5 trips out there a year but it's been nice doing other things.

asa400ex

Reaction score
Maybe the flood control channel is the first phase of many. Maybe next phase is to fill in said V ditch and level it out for more lanes. Just saying...

NicPaus

Reaction score
Why are they building the flood control channel you ask??? Like all over politicised propaganda global warming will soon come to an end.

I just want to know where they plan on putting all those EV charging stations going through the desert...
Hopefully next to a few good restaurants. Took my GF Tesla to San Diego last weekend. They wanted 75$ a night to park my truck at hotel cause it's considered oversize. Stopping for a hour each way sacked. Ate on the way down so it was not to bad but on way home had to wait 20 minutes for a charger to open up then another hour to charge. It was a $1 a minute to charge. Much better off spending the $ on gas and no wait.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully next to a few good restaurants. Took my GF Tesla to San Diego last weekend. They wanted 75$ a night to park my truck at hotel cause it's considered oversize. Stopping for a hour each way sacked. Ate on the way down so it was not to bad but on way home had to wait 20 minutes for a charger to open up then another hour to charge. It was a $1 a minute to charge. Much better off spending the $ on gas and no wait.

Wait up...

So 60.00 in "fuel/electricity" to go to SD and back, plus what it took to charge it up at home, and down there as well??

Do I have this right??

Nikwho

Reaction score
Sold the plane to buy a house in Havasu. Need to start playing the lottery. Can't have everything on an Airline Pilot salary
I was going down the path of becoming an airline pilot. Worked at an airport between ages of 14 to 20, attended Embry Riddle, Private pilot, instrument rating, multi engine rating, then had an engine failure which bummed me out a bit, then a week later witnessed an incident that killed an entire family. May be why I ended up in fire service and being a paramedic. BUT, I often think about how much nicer and plentiful my toys would be, had I gotten to an airline pilot's salary! I would urge people to stay away from public safety if you want to make good money. 😔

That's a rough chunk to drive. I often drive from Flagstaff, back home to San Diego, and the drive is brutal. I do enjoy the drive from Flagstaff to Havasu/river much more than when I used to make it from San Diego to Havasu!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Wait up...

So 60.00 in "fuel/electricity" to go to SD and back, plus what it took to charge it up at home, and down there as well??

Do I have this right??
We stopped on way down and on way back to charge. Could have charged for 35 minutes on way back and made it but with traffic figured charge it all the way. I made it driving like a grandma to charging station with 4% remaining. Had we hit traffic like other direction due to a fire sure we would of not made it. Great around the town vehicle stick to driving one of my trucks for trips. I have to ask my Echo neighbor where he charges on way out. He added a charge station on his mobile. Can't imagine battery running out when it's 115 out and no AC.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Nope. It's been doing it every year since time began. I remember seeing em in high school.

Youve never seen the tragic results of monsoon season in Havasu either?

I saw a pontoon roll down the beach at Echo years ago, monsoons can be gnarly.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Wait up...

Do I have this right??

Good question. I kind of wondered how it worked at the Tesla super charging stations? Do you pay by the minute, what’s the deal? And are there private charging station? Do they charge more? So many questions.🤷‍♀️🤔

NicPaus

Reaction score
Good question. I kind of wondered how it worked at the Tesla super charging stations? Do you pay by the minute, what’s the deal? And are there private charging station? Do they charge more? So many questions.🤷‍♀️🤔
The one on way there did not say anything about how much. On way back it was posted a $1 a minute. Some cars were sitting there taking up a spot when we arrived and left so clearly fully charged. GF was like your not supposed to do that but if you were in the middle of a meal what else. She was not sure if they were getting charged per minute for being connected even after fully charged. Makes sense since others were waiting to use it. Charge while connected.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I feel your pain , took me 2 1/2 hours this morning to get from Temecula to Escondido. All lanes stopped to look at a tow truck picking up a car , no accident.

84miller

Reaction score
Feel your pain. I was towing a boat home with me on 5/22 (Saturday). I left at 7 am calculated I would be home by 12:30. No Boat, I would normally be home by 11:30 - 12:00. Many things happened, but the last was a fire that shutdown 15 south. It took me 5 1/2 hours to go from Temecula to the 76. Got home at 7:15 PM. So many people were off the chart angry and acting out, I just though there is nothing I can do about it and watched the meltdowns.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Iv'e being doing the Parker drive about 40+ years and i can honestly say I'm over it, when I retire and can get more river time I will get back at it but I'm done with the weekend warrior shit for now, maybe a few trips in prime weather, which isn't anytime soon.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Do it....
Stay late on Sunday and fly home at dusk. Lil warm leaving Havi late in the summer days but only for a few mins.
5765E606-A887-4575-A5CE-3AC67AE0FBCD.jpeg

I’ve seriously been considering getting my PPL to commute to Havasu & Back. You can buy a decent used 4 seat plane for about what a new Tesla costs. The traffic now is just a Giant Clusterbomb!!!

PlanB

Reaction score
Do it....
Stay late on Sunday and fly home at dusk. Lil warm leaving Havi late in the summer days but only for a few mins.
View attachment 1012191

Did my long cross country to Havasu 30 years ago in the summer. 114 degrees when I took off to head back to SoCal. It was pretty damn hot inside the cockpit and the plane was heavy with fuel. Made for a long slow climb to some cooler altitude. Cool pic!

2Driver

Reaction score
Left Temecula for home last weekend and got to Desert center on the 10 and was thinking, how in the hell do you guys do it.

I’d find another hobby or move to the river. We never went the 3 years we lived in San Diego - just me I guess.

Last edited: