WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a small breed puppy

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
We are ready for a dog again. My wife has MS with mobility issues so we need something on the smaller side. We need to know how big the dog will get and the general temperament of the parents. We are willing to take on a rescue but need to know what the parents are like. We can't have any surprises with regard to size. One of the breeds we like is the mini Australian Shepherds. We want to stay away from the trendy dogs like French Bulldogs. We will drive anywhere in Socal for the right match.

Any tips would be appreciated.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
we love our yorkie. shes small but is fiesty as hell... but not in that yappy chihuahua way. not sure if it helps but shes also considered hypo allergenic, she has hair instead of fur. we get her groomed every 2-3 months and we dont really brush her. she stays pretty clean on her own. they dont really have any health concerns and being small they should live quite a while.

284556_10150257378694833_8175455_n.jpg

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
We are ready for a dog again. My wife has MS with mobility issues so we need something on the smaller side. We need to know how big the dog will get and the general temperament of the parents. We are willing to take on a rescue but need to know what the parents are like. We can't have any surprises with regard to size. One of the breeds we like is the mini Australian Shepherds. We want to stay away from the trendy dogs like French Bulldogs. We will drive anywhere in Socal for the right match.

Any tips would be appreciated.
I'm on a couple FB sites for Aussie Shepherds. Some of the breeders have minis. Some sites are for rescues.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Cocker Spaniels… They are normally pretty damn good dogs, that most women adore.
Not big, not small, just the right size, and extremely loyal, there desire to please, typically means they are easily trained.

Con- is they need grooming a few times a year.

Just throwing that out there

C-2

Reaction score
Schipperke for the boat! Awesome little dogs, fiercely loyal and great to keep rodents away! We've had 4.

I'm not a fan of rescues. We adopted a Cow Dog and as it turns out, he's got issues. Mainly, instead of nipping the heels of our horses, he goes in for the kill.

Basenji's are also cool if you want a cat-like dog that loathes/fears water.

adam909

Reaction score
if its going to be a house dog I would get a miniature schnauzer. Great family dogs and best of all they dont shed, But youll have to get the hair cut every so often.

BingerFang

Reaction score
x2 on the cocker spaniels. Great well rounded dogs that don’t get big but still have enough energy to keep up.

ATKpilot

Reaction score
We have a Porkie - Pomeranian and Yorkie...he is hilarious. He is feisty but also very loving. Loves to lay on my lap or beside me, protective and at 10 years old still acts and plays like a puppy. If you are taking a shower he lays right in front of the door, sleeping he is right at the foot of the bed. As a bonus his hair is like human hair and doesn't shed and he looks like a Ewok teddy bear :)
Teddy.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
64324100761__A576B38B-F97C-413F-97D8-DEA5455164A0.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

62986372979__2DD89832-64B5-4142-B78E-2109E907C8B0.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

Here is our little guy. Just turned 2. Half Shih Tzu and mini toy Poodle. ShihPoo. Personality and loyalty for days.
You can see he is by my side when I’m working, laying on the back of my office chair, across my keyboard or even sleeping on my desk at the office. Loves car rides. Just did a trip up to SLC without issue.
Yes my girls dress him in sweaters and pajamas. He doesn’t care either. He actually like the sweaters when we shave him down during summer. All hair, no fur. Heart of a pit bull but gentle with kids and anyone that wants to hold him.
He gets bathed and brushed once a month but that’s cause we goes on walks up to 4 miles a day. If not he would need grooming much less.
He was the size of a soda can when we got him. He is all of 4 1/2 lbs now.
Small dogs are the best wingman!!

samsah33

Reaction score
<<< Jack Russell Terriers - high energy, super-smart, love the h2o, handles desert heat well, fearless, max out at about 18-20 lbs, long lives, no health issues, don't shed much (might need to pluck or "strip" though depending on the coat), just need to train them before they train you... a/k/a "big dogs in little dog bodies" or "Jack Russell Terrors," and that will be the case if you don't keep them exercised and stimulated. Good luck, let us know what you pick!

Xring01

Reaction score
Schipperke for the boat! Awesome little dogs, fiercely loyal and great to keep rodents away! We've had 4.

I'm not a fan of rescues. We adopted a Cow Dog and as it turns out, he's got issues. Mainly, instead of nipping the heels of our horses, he goes in for the kill.

Basenji's are also cool if you want a cat-like dog that loathes/fears water.
Anyone interested in Basenjis, let me know. My good friends mom is probably the most experienced breeder in the West, probably the US. Over 25 years.
She has a waiting list, but her dogs are the best in my opinion.

She is in Anza Ca, local enough.

DWC

Reaction score
<<< Jack Russell Terriers - high energy, super-smart, love the h2o, handles desert heat well, fearless, max out at about 18-20 lbs, long lives, no health issues, don't shed much (might need to pluck or "strip" though depending on the coat), just need to train them before they train you... a/k/a "big dogs in little dog bodies" or "Jack Russell Terrors," and that will be the case if you don't keep them exercised and stimulated. Good luck, let us know what you pick!
X2 on the Jack Russell. Ours made it to 17yrs old. Best dog I’ve ever had. Great watch dog. (Wasn’t going to scare anyone but you couldn’t sneak up on him). Outstanding with kids.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
we love our yorkie. shes small but is fiesty as hell... but not in that yappy chihuahua way. not sure if it helps but shes also considered hypo allergenic, she has hair instead of fur. we get her groomed every 2-3 months and we dont really brush her. she stays pretty clean on her own. they dont really have any health concerns and being small they should live quite a while.

284556_10150257378694833_8175455_n.jpg

I was never a fan of small dogs but our Yorkie (Silky Yorkshire Terrier) Sadie is the best damn dog ever. She only barks at animals on the TV (horses, dogs, cows, Joe Biden, Kamala horse-face Harris, etc.) and people outside the house. She's damn smart for a little dog.

Sadie 2010 under tree cropped.jpg

Bonus, she doesn't eat a lot and she shits Tootsie-Roll sized turds to there's nothing to clean up.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Mom has a Mini Aussie. Great dog my 96 year old Grandma's companion. He watches her and always on her lap. Stopped by tonight and 6 of my Nieces and Nephews were there playing. He gets along great with all of them.

Her other dog is a Sable shepherd from my last litter of pups 10 years ago. Dog loves the Kids, Mom and Grandma as well. Especially my 8 month old nephew. She watches him like a hawk. Household protector and has been a great dog. My Dogs actually had puppies yesterday unexpectedly as I thought they were separated during heat. 4 all Black males 2 black sable females and a black sable male German Shepherd. Might have a few available.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I was never a fan of small dogs but our Yorkie (Silky Yorkshire Terrier) Sadie is the best damn dog ever. She only barks at animals on the TV (horses, dogs, cows, Joe Biden, Kamala horse-face Harris, etc.) and people outside the house. She's damn smart for a little dog.

View attachment 1014151

Bonus, she doesn't eat a lot and she shits Tootsie-Roll sized turds to there's nothing to clean up.
Same here not a fan of small dogs. In-laws got the now ex a Yorkie and that was the smartest/best dog ever!! She would ride the center console to the river and would give a soft bark if she needed to piss. I would pull over she would run 10’ away, do her thing and run back.

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
Border Terrier. Compact Dog. Great family dog. Will hunt Varmits around the house. Loves the Boat. Wont bark at Air. Tough Dog - Not sketchy.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Cockapoo is a great small dog gets to about 16- 19 pounds love people very smart dont shed much not hyper at all, Ive had two, last one was Rudy, got to about 16 and had to put him to sleep broke my heart he was my buddy allways made me smile smart as a whip and loved to see you and hang out. Good luck with you search.