WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cockroach Infestation at the River!

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
This year has seen a major roach infestation at the river. Basically all of the roaches are escaping urban areas because there is very little to do ( SOCAL) and heading out to the land of the free. Be it state and federal parks or river campgrounds. As such........ they are now doing their same cockroach shit where we love to vacation and get away. I boat down on the lower river and stay at Hidden Shores. Until this year it has been a very safe and secure place for the family and one’s belongings. This year starting about 6mo ago, this has changed. The theft is off the chart. People having bikes, chairs and pretty much anything else stolen is worse now , than in all the 20 plus years we have been goin there. Over the Memorial weekend, they stole the ratcheting tie downs and safety chain that were bolted to our trailer! Who the hell does shit like that!!!!!??? Keep your eyes out, and my suggestion is to give any roaches that show a PSA about theft in the area and locals wanting to smash some heads if they catch anyone. Just do it in a friendly manner with a smile😎

Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score
my boat was blocked in last year at the hotel! but another group from cali ( biggest chollo dudes) actually pushed my boat out so i could hook up! they were more pisseed than i was, soon it will subside, but we do need that fricken rain

kimbalee

Reaction score
This year has seen a major roach infestation at the river. Basically all of the roaches are escaping urban areas because there is very little to do ( SOCAL) and heading out to the land of the free. Be it state and federal parks or river campgrounds. As such........ they are now doing their same cockroach shit where we love to vacation and get away. I boat down on the lower river and stay at Hidden Shores. Until this year it has been a very safe and secure place for the family and one’s belongings. This year starting about 6mo ago, this has changed. The theft is off the chart. People having bikes, chairs and pretty much anything else stolen is worse now , than in all the 20 plus years we have been goin there. Over the Memorial weekend, they stole the ratcheting tie downs and safety chain that were bolted to our trailer! Who the hell does shit like that!!!!!??? Keep your eyes out, and my suggestion is to give any roaches that show a PSA about theft in the area and locals wanting to smash some heads if they catch anyone. Just do it in a friendly manner with a smile😎

oh great - we are going to Fishers on Thursday. Noted - don't leave anything out.

traquer

Reaction score
Probably local tweakers and pirates too I would imagine. Who else would steal a chain lol

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Well, Hidden shores has a pretty tight security. So ya can’t just drive in to the park. So most likely someone staying there. But yea. I thought the same exact thing...... who steals a Chain.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
You'd HAVE to be on something to steal down there . . . I've always conducted myself with the understanding that people at the River, especially in AZ Do Not Fuck Around.
I've told this before . . . first time at Fishers Landing in the early 90's, my buddy & I walk into the bar . . . we were just 2-surfers in goofy hats, trunks, & flip flops . . . cracked the door & there were 5 or 6 gnarly biker dudes w/ vests on & shit . . . every one of them had a 1911 holstered on their hip. My Bro just about shit himself, and was trying to turn around and walk out when a nice female voice from behind the bar said, "Welcome Boys, I'll be right with You". :oops: 🇺🇸

2Driver

Reaction score
It’s not just the river it might be a lot if not most of America. There’s been a huge social shift to the worse since Covid, defund the police, the riots and Biden.

It’s numbing and generally depressing where we’ve gone the last 12 months.

Backlash

Reaction score
The idiotic roaches and other scum from the big cities need to be reminded that AZ is an open carry state, and the fine law-abiding citizens have no problem taking care of business. Things are going to turn around (For the better), because people aren't going to put up with this shit much longer.

Dettom

Reaction score
It’s not just the river it might be a lot if not most of America. There’s been a huge social shift to the worse since Covid, defund the police, the riots and Biden.

It’s numbing and generally depressing where we’ve gone the last 12 months.
This^^. Never seen anything quite like it. I used to think it off the charts when I was working and someone would break a $1000 window to steal a five dollar pair of shades....I learned then that people would steal your eyeballs if you weren’t looking..I wish they’d bring back hanging..

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Same up in NorCal our local lakes are being infiltrated big time. The numbers are off the charts. They come with either no boats or the most beat things around or a jet ski for 5 to share. Take up any and all camp spots and shore space . Fly there flags , blast there music and then leave all there trash.

707dog

Reaction score
This is my promise that I am not one of those roaches as descend upon the shores of havasu in August. Can be found roaming the river or stumbling the beach of nautical, We are Not there for a long time but there for a good time...

grumpy88

Reaction score
I think there is a lot of truth in the post in this thread . We are in a rv park and it has changed big time and not for the better . We probably will take most of the summer off to avoid any prison time . Its a shame what has happened to the river .

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
And then there are VRBO's. Fortunately they are not allowed in our neighborhood but we have some friends that live near some of them and they are packed to the ceiling, trucks and boats parked all over the front yards and in the street, music, fights, police, etc., till all hours. Its a shame if you live next one, its gonna bring down your property value. Also have a close friend that sold his less than one year old house to an investor who had no plans to use the house, it was all VRBO. Some recent guests decided to destroy the place, like literally smashing the granite counter tops with hammers, smashing toilets, tearing doors off the hinges, it was fucking disgusting.

2Driver

Reaction score
And then there are VRBO's. Fortunately they are not allowed in our neighborhood but we have some friends that live near some of them and they are packed to the ceiling, trucks and boats parked all over the front yards and in the street, music, fights, police, etc., till all hours. Its a shame if you live next one, its gonna bring down your property value. Also have a close friend that sold his less than one year old house to an investor who had no plans to use the house, it was all VRBO. Some recent guests decided to destroy the place, like literally smashing the granite counter tops with hammers, smashing toilets, tearing doors off the hinges, it was fucking disgusting.

A neighbor friend moved 8 miles out a Forest dirt road into a small pocket community located 20 miles from the closet town and that town is only 15,000 in population. Sure enough the Cabin 2 homes away is a VRBO that advertises it can sleep 20. There are strict fire restrictions but one crowd dug a pit in the front yard and had a pallet fire. He has RZR ripping through the subdivision and has responded to 3 accidents in front of his home. I suppose since the roads are dirt people think it is game on.

So there he is escaping to the middle of the woods in AZ surround by idiots. To make matters worse the road to his house is in National Forest and is littered with roadside Phoenix heat escapees camping.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
This problem was happening way before Covid. I could write paragraphs on this but will try to keep it short.

We have a population problem and the lower tier is reproducing and creating more lower tier. Somehow they find the means to pay for used boats, dirt bikes/quads and jet skis so we the middle/upper middle class and the rich are sharing our special places with them now. Expect this trend to continue as our population continues to grow.

Backlash

Reaction score
It's easy to explain where the money is coming from. One example is EDD fraud. Spoke to a "Woman" and her male "Friend" two weeks ago who were collecting over $7K a month. Let that soak in.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

You had me until you said Lower River🤣

My namesake ,
Spent 10 years at Wheel er Inn and Riverview, them 10 years in Parker , all on Indian land

I had more 7 way round trailer adaptors, sprinkler heads , bungee cords, hammers, small tools left outside my mobile home at Riverview “walk away” than I care to remember.
I ended up painting my sprinkler heads pink as to track them. Stopped that theft pretty quickly.
Pretty sure the majority of petty theft in the lower river area is done by a comb of locals and ca. Folks that stay there on a regular basis

My observations from 10 summers down “low”

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Well it’s easy to make big money while you work under the table And your wife is on welfare taking care of the kids. It’s crazy that I have a somewhat decent career yet these assholes are cashing in while I (we) pay for it. I went to a stereo shop in Ontario the other day to buy a head unit for my truck. They had 10 side by sides out front and people lined up inside asking for stereos in them. They all said the same thing can I get the credit app....... I paid for my 100 head unit CASH and laughed as I left. This funny money won’t last forever.......

traquer

Reaction score
Sad deal reading all this.. Won't be as bad as it is for long I don't think. Overall yes it will get worse but I think this Covid thing made everything go nuts temporarily, just like Vegas and all the cockroaches there.

DC-88

Reaction score
A neighbor friend moved 8 miles out a Forest dirt road into a small pocket community located 20 miles from the closet town and that town is only 15,000 in population. Sure enough the Cabin 2 homes away is a VRBO that advertises it can sleep 20. There are strict fire restrictions but one crowd dug a pit in the front yard and had a pallet fire. He has RZR ripping through the subdivision and has responded to 3 accidents in front of his home. I suppose since the roads are dirt people think it is game on.

So there he is escaping to the middle of the woods in AZ surround by idiots. To make matters worse the road to his house is in National Forest and is littered with roadside Phoenix heat escapees camping.
It gets worse. Enter the "30 day" rental. In our formerly mellow beach town which has pretty strict nightly vacation rental limitations this is the new end around. 20 years ago we left the doors open and keys in ignition. Ever since about tax day of 2020 town has been packed 6 days a week with no sign of slowing down. I got a fucking T post pounder stolen out of my truck bed when I was out at the river for Memorial Day. Add to that at my river house which is gated and isolated on a big lot, the next door neighbor is now VRBOing his place, and sure enough I promptly got the perm trailer plate stolen off my enclosed trailer parked within sight of his driveway. The more eyes on your shit , especially in places where there used to be only the "inside job" type eyes, the crime rate goes up. I remember the old timers complaining about the 83' el nino flood of Parker causing Havasu to start to get permanently crowded, and the scamdemic looks to be having the same effect on nice places that stayed open.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
You had me until you said Lower River🤣

My namesake ,
Spent 10 years at Wheel er Inn and Riverview, them 10 years in Parker , all on Indian land

I had more 7 way round trailer adaptors, sprinkler heads , bungee cords, hammers, small tools left outside my mobile home at Riverview “walk away” than I care to remember.
I ended up painting my sprinkler heads pink as to track them. Stopped that theft pretty quickly.
Pretty sure the majority of petty theft in the lower river area is done by a comb of locals and ca. Folks that stay there on a regular basis

My observations from 10 summers down “low”

This would be considered the Lower- Lower river. Certainly not up where your talking about. the issue isn’t people that live here. Hidden Shores is a resort community that’s quite isolated. 20 miles from Yuma, and 10 miles from Fishers/ Martinez. People cannot actually live here full time. You can only stay for six months out of the year, so these are second homes and RV sites. It’s always been a very safe area for ones belongings. But this year is different. There are a number of weekend rental sites near the beach, and this is where the change in personal have come from.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
This would be considered the Lower- Lower river. Certainly not up where your talking about. the issue isn’t people that live here. Hidden Shores is a resort community that’s quite isolated. 20 miles from Yuma, and 10 miles from Fishers/ Martinez. People cannot actually live here full time. You can only stay for six months out of the year, so these are second homes and RV sites. It’s always been a very safe area for ones belongings. But this year is different. There are a number of weekend rental sites near the beach, and this is where the change in personal have come from.
Riverview had 5 full timers out of 80 mobile homes
I think you werent the target before.
You’d be amazed at people who steal little stuff from their neighbors
Couple of nest cameras will prove my point or debunk it

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Riverview had 5 full timers out of 80 mobile homes
I think you werent the target before.
You’d be amazed at people who steal little stuff from their neighbors
Couple of nest cameras will prove my point or debunk it

yea.... this seems to be a very different place than what you were used to. We’re not talking about riverview. The people that have owned homes here for the last 20-25 years are certainly not the issue. We have had almost zero crime of any type over the years. Which is very nice to say the least. When covid hit last year, the park did not allow any weekend visitors, but about 8 months ago or so, they started allowing weekenders again. And this is when the problems began. Not the same type of weekenders as the past. No cameras needed bud. Pretty simple to see where the problems have come from.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
yea.... this seems to be a very different place than what you were used to. We’re not talking about riverview. The people that have owned homes here for the last 20-25 years are certainly not the issue. We have had almost zero crime of any type over the years. Which is very nice to say the least. When covid hit last year, the park did not allow any weekend visitors, but about 8 months ago or so, they started allowing weekenders again. And this is when the problems began. Not the same type of weekenders as the past. No cameras needed bud. Pretty simple to see where the problems have come from.

Well,
You now know a problem exists, prepare and take appropriate measures

Bill Scotten has a place somewhere down there, watch that guy, lol

Anyone that knows Bill can tell him the Bomb Tech said so, he’s known me 25 years

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Petty theft is on the rise 1000% everywhere.

We've noticed it at the river as well in Needles. Neighbors golf cart got stolen from driveway. 3 carts were lifted from Needles Marina next door a few weeks prior, they now have a security guard at the entrance. Our neighbor next door has ring camera footage of a kid coming up on their patio, rifling thru their cabinets and stealing beers, loading his backpack up. I had a few guys in their early 20's walk up and ask to use my bathroom, but what they were really doing is casing the neighborhood and they are on camera looking in windows at several neighbors houses earlier in the day.

When the president doesn't support law and order, and the governors dont support law in order, and the mayors dont support law and order...........YOU EVENTUALLY DON"T HAVE LAW AND ORDER. So what can ya do? Watch it burn till everyone goes "man, that was a bad call" and hope the general population shifts to the right again?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
That’s on the city council to curb that problem. Rules have been in place for years in Havasu:
2 bodies per room, 2 can sleep in living room.
80% of Havi homes are 3 bedrooms:, for a total of 8 by that code, yet many rentals openly advertise 10-12 on their Air bnb ads.

I heard one 4 bedroom house had 21 in it for a weekend this spring.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Had a friend buy a home in havi for $315 3 years ago.
In escrow for $599
He had it rented out 90% of days Apr- Nov 1st. Snowbirds for the rest
Bought out by investment group in Idaho
The word is out on havi for short term rentals
Becoming the so cal beach type go to spot instead of going to Ca.

77charger

Reaction score
Petty theft is on the rise 1000% everywhere.

We've noticed it at the river as well in Needles. Neighbors golf cart got stolen from driveway. 3 carts were lifted from Needles Marina next door a few weeks prior, they now have a security guard at the entrance. Our neighbor next door has ring camera footage of a kid coming up on their patio, rifling thru their cabinets and stealing beers, loading his backpack up. I had a few guys in their early 20's walk up and ask to use my bathroom, but what they were really doing is casing the neighborhood and they are on camera looking in windows at several neighbors houses earlier in the day.

When the president doesn't support law and order, and the governors dont support law in order, and the mayors dont support law and order...........YOU EVENTUALLY DON"T HAVE LAW AND ORDER. So what can ya do? Watch it burn till everyone goes "man, that was a bad call" and hope the general population shifts to the right again?
Use to stay at needles marina in 2004 every other weekend back then never worried about theft. Their maintenance guy frank drove around often and knew if something wasn’t right. He said back then local kids may raid a cooler. Today I’d probably lock everything inside trailer during day.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Use to stay at needles marina in 2004 every other weekend back then never worried about theft. Their maintenance guy frank drove around often and knew if something wasn’t right. He said back then local kids may raid a cooler. Today I’d probably lock everything inside trailer during day.

No Consequences!!

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Everybody is saying there is no law enforcement anywhere these day . Have you tried driving with an expired reg tag ? Have you parked a few minutes over on a meter ? Have you been pulled into an OUI trap on the lake ? Does anybody not see the discrimination ?

Mike K

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing the change happen since the late 90’s. My take is this … “back in the day” … most people coming to the river/lake had boats … or they had friends with boats … people that own boats usually respect other boaters and their friends … owning a boat meant you had skin in the game … you at least had a job that paid for your boat and where you stayed … in other words you were more or less “responsible “ … fast forward 20 years … all you need now is a $40 EZ-Up or your share of the channel party barge cost to hang out … so now it seems there are tons of non boaters on every weekend … non boaters mean “hey we don’t have jobs or anything of value but we are coming to your town. It comes down to respecting “fellow boaters” … when you add the “non boaters” to the mix you get the less affluent crowd that could give a crap about you or your stuff. That’s where the “stealing” part enters the equation. They are not part of the boating community.

traquer

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing the change happen since the late 90’s. My take is this … “back in the day” … most people coming to the river/lake had boats … or they had friends with boats … people that own boats usually respect other boaters and their friends … owning a boat meant you had skin in the game … you at least had a job that paid for your boat and where you stayed … in other words you were more or less “responsible “ … fast forward 20 years … all you need now is a $40 EZ-Up or your share of the channel party barge cost to hang out … so now it seems there are tons of non boaters on every weekend … non boaters mean “hey we don’t have jobs or anything of value but we are coming to your town. It comes down to respecting “fellow boaters” … when you add the “non boaters” to the mix you get the less affluent crowd that could give a crap about you or your stuff. That’s where the “stealing” part enters the equation. They are not part of the boating community.

Underrated comment of the day.

What's the solution though? Could the city start coming down hard on short term rentals and maybe requiring permits for the channel (can only get a permit if you have a registered watercraft)? That would help, but then some investment firm would start opening hotels left and right..

There must be a solution where you scare away the cockroaches without making too many rules.

gqchris

Reaction score

This is 100% the truth. When me and my buddy were out last month, we skipped launching the boat one day and brought a cooler to the channel. Like always, we soon befriended some people for a wedding that rented two of those cabanas. They told us that they all paid 50$ each and drove up in the morning and were leaving that NIGHT! WTF! They say they rented a church van and one guy stays sober to drive them back. They were pounding tequila all day! I cant imagine what that van smelled like come Ludlow.

In the old days, we used to joke that what kept the scum out of the river was that fact that their 1987 Honda Civics cant make it across the dessert. But these days, they all pool together like cockroaches and rent things out to make the dream happen!

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that, in addition to the other factors already mentioned, a large part of the issue comes from the participation trophy, my-mom-says-I-can-do-no-wrong generation. They're getting to the ages now where they are able to go to the river, buy boats, etc. They've never been held accountable for anything and believe that they are entitiled to everything, even if it's your stuff. They don't have respect for anything or anyone.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
They've never been held accountable for anything and believe that they are entitiled to everything, even if it's your stuff. They don't have respect for anything or anyone.

This has been a fast-growing problem for this country for decades and the free world is already sliding down the slippery slope into the abyss. The wealthy don’t have these problems while the rest of us either (1) deal with cockroaches or (2) ARE the cockroaches.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Everybody is saying there is no law enforcement anywhere these day . Have you tried driving with an expired reg tag ? Have you parked a few minutes over on a meter ? Have you been pulled into an OUI trap on the lake ? Does anybody not see the discrimination ?
Your confusing law enforcement with revenue generation....

MohavValley

Reaction score
This problem was happening way before Covid. I could write paragraphs on this but will try to keep it short.

We have a population problem and the lower tier is reproducing and creating more lower tier. Somehow they find the means to pay for used boats, dirt bikes/quads and jet skis so we the middle/upper middle class and the rich are sharing our special places with them now. Expect this trend to continue as our population continues to grow.

They made a documentary about this.....it's called Idiocracy.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I think that, in addition to the other factors already mentioned, a large part of the issue comes from the participation trophy, my-mom-says-I-can-do-no-wrong generation. They're getting to the ages now where they are able to go to the river, buy boats, etc. They've never been held accountable for anything and believe that they are entitiled to everything, even if it's your stuff. They don't have respect for anything or anyone.
Nailed it. But add in no consequence from teachers, police besides the parents.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I was up in Lake of the Ozarks last week and the people I was working for said the same thing is going on up there. In addition, while I was there they had two stabbings and found one of the local bartenders floating in the lake one morning of questionable circumstances.
I think a lot of folks who wouldn’t have otherwise bothered had their eyes open to some areas that remained open last year. My bet is if they turn off the free money a lot of these issues go away or at least greatly reduce in frequency.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score

This the exact reason we have chosen not to rent our pad even though several people in the know have suggested we could be getting $1500-$1800 for 3 nights. Don’t need to feed the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk