WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat market

Perry Rennie

Reaction score
We all know the boat market is pretty crazy right now but how long does everyone think this will last? Will it Plato? Will it drop? Or will it keep climbing?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Plato-portrait-bust-original-Capitoline-Museums-Rome.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
I think it’ll plateau through the next 1-2 years.

Supply chain will catch up, people will begin to vacation and not be hell bent on boating, storage and maintenance costs will have people selling slightly used boats.

I’m sure builders will still have plenty of work.

I think the day of reckoning is right after the next mid term or presidential election

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The current Market is that boats that were built in Early 2000's and only go 65mph are being listed for 89,000.00.
Smart money does'nt fall for that trap

Well when ya put it like that.. lol.

On the flip side when you buy new your kinda getting a better deal on your money because the used market is insane.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Lots more stuff available now than last year this time

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We ended up buying new simply because New boat pricing was basically the same as a year or two ago, and the used market is way overpriced. In the segment we were looking at, used simply didn’t make sense.

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I hope it lasts a long time. I'm looking at boats in Canada (market not as crazy), with the land border closed still deals here. I'll sell them in the states in August for a profit. Talk is the border is opening soon. When it does, I'll plan a Lake Shasta trip and sell whatever I buy for a profit while down there.

Reactions: DWC

traquer

Reaction score
I saw a one-owner 2002 aftershock 21 with 350mag B1 and 350 hours yesturday, listed for 20k. Listing removed today. Trailer looked like it has been in salt water and a few other things, but that wasn't too bad a deal in today's market?

guest hs

Reaction score
My son just sold his 45 year old Spectra 20 jet with a Ford in it for 20k. We felt this is the plateau and decided to do it. The money won’t be there this time next year. So if your going to do it do it now. Only reason he sold it was he knew he would never get that much for it again.

D19

Reaction score
My son just sold his 45 year old Spectra 20 jet with a Ford in it for 20k. We felt this is the plateau and decided to do it. The money won’t be there this time next year. So if your going to do it do it now. Only reason he sold it was he knew he would never get that much for it again.

That was the big motivator for my recent boat sale. I don't think I'd every be able to get what I did for it again. I may be wrong, but I feel it was the right decision.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
For some reason my boat hasn't appreciated in price. Not that it's anything special just a Rinker deck boat but I see all these other boats that are also nothing special going for outlandish prices.

gqchris

Reaction score
No but I see similar makes and models being listed for the same price range that they would have commanded a couple of years ago.
Honestly you have to get it out there to get a feel. I just sold two boats over the last 3 months. I used Here, Offer UP, Str8up Toy Trader and Craigslist.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Honestly you have to get it out there to get a feel. I just sold two boats over the last 3 months. I used Here, Offer UP, Str8up Toy Trader and Craigslist.
I wasn't actually looking to sell it, just kind of keeping my eye on the market and feeling a little left out. You may be right, if I actually listed it there may be a bidding war to get it.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I've religiously scoured CL for a few hours almost everyday and havent noticed a plateau let alone a drop in prices. I've seen some over valued boats come down but it seams like inventory levels are sporadic across all powerboat segments.

I love seeing the mint condition/low hour boats pop up here and there. It's gotta be a good feeling for those owners who stayed in it for the love of it and now have a beautiful exit point.

I think about selling the Baja every other day or so. If it wasn't for an upcoming Powell trip I'd have it listed already.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Prices have gone up or the dollar become diluted? So when gas prices go up and when people are tight on cash, how much will boat values decline?

So many questions about what the future holds...

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a Formula this weekend. Plan to use it a few times locally and then do a Shasta trip. Worse case scenario is I sell it for USD and get my money back. Free boat for most of the summer.

gqchris

Reaction score
All I can say is that everything has become more expensive and I have not been paid given a raise at my jobs.

Do to the fact I don't live beyond my means and have savings, I am able to still enjoy hobbies and pay for fuel. But at what point do the scales tip and it starts to becomes what we all know its going to happen?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw this out there. I will start with saying I know what I have so no low ballers! Probably one of the nicest boats on craigslist right now. Former F-1 race boat. Easy 100 m.p.h. Today only $125,000. Will sell without motor for $124,999.

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
For some reason my boat hasn't appreciated in price. Not that it's anything special just a Rinker deck boat but I see all these other boats that are also nothing special going for outlandish prices.

Asking prices are not selling prices. I know 3 people that bought used boats in the last couple months. The price they all paid was 15-20% less than the outlandish asking price.

One was a 2018 23’ commander advertised for $76k. He got it for $63k. Really clean boat with 25 hours on it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
All I can say is that everything has become more expensive and I have not been paid given a raise at my jobs.

Do to the fact I don't live beyond my means and have savings, I am able to still enjoy hobbies and pay for fuel. But at what point do the scales tip and it starts to becomes what we all know its going to happen?

We have another couple years to go to find out. People are spending the money because they want to. Prices are not going to stop them, they lost 18 months of their lives.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Are people cashing out their 401k's or SEP IRA's and taking the tax hit? That would be bizarre, but the money has to come from somewhere, whether it be a new house, boat, or whatever? Far as I can tell nobody is suddenly making double the amount of $ on a large scale. Yes some have done very well during the last year, and others have suffered severely.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Are people cashing out their 401k's or SEP IRA's and taking the tax hit? That would be bizarre, but the money has to come from somewhere, whether it be a new house, boat, or whatever? Far as I can tell nobody is suddenly making double the amount of $ on a large scale. Yes some have done very well during the last year, and others have suffered severely.
I think there was some people that pulled 401k's without the penalty last year, but i doubt that is why everything is so crazy. I don't get it either, whatever it is i missed the memo lol, still a broke ass hourly worker.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I think there was some people that pulled 401k's without the penalty last year, but i doubt that is why everything is so crazy. I don't get it either, whatever it is i missed the memo lol, still a broke ass hourly worker.
Yes apparently I missed it too. I felt lucky that I was able to do a refi to lower interest rates on property and I never stopped working. I made about the same as the previous years, but I don't suddenly have excess money to blow on over priced houses or boats... I know folks are taking 20-30 year loans on stuff but, when I hear about all the cash buyers on houses and toys I can't help but wonder where the f... is the cash coming from.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Mines for sale, lots of picture collectors. Or they don’t like what they see?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My buddy flipped 5 boats as a side hobby in the last 12 months , making an average of $15k per flip.
He said he stopped a month ago and invested the profit into real estate. Per him, When the twin engine low production step child hulls and obnoxious gel schemes came out for crazy prices, the end of the peak sales had arrived. Looking at recent Str8 Up Toy Trader ads, I think he was spot on.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Yes apparently I missed it too. I felt lucky that I was able to do a refi to lower interest rates on property and I never stopped working. I made about the same as the previous years, but I don't suddenly have excess money to blow on over priced houses or boats... I know folks are taking 20-30 year loans on stuff but, when I hear about all the cash buyers on houses and toys I can't help but wonder where the f... is the cash coming from.
We sold our property in Willow Valley last month. Two of the three offers were contingent on them pulling money out of their current homes.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Well my CP has been for sale for a few days on here
And I still have it.
So there is that .

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Alot of the money is coming from PPP loans. Once the gov stops giving free money, its gonna be ugly.

I can see that for the 1st round... But the 2nd was different and needed to show 25% loss in business..

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I listed my boat for a realistic price, that was still higher than I paid OTD new in 2018, and had a cash buyer within 24 hours. First guy who contacted me bought the boat. The market is still hot for clean boats listed at fair prices. Will be interesting to see if rising fuel prices slow the market down.

LowRiverLoom

Reaction score
I listed my boat for a realistic price, that was still higher than I paid OTD new in 2018, and had a cash buyer within 24 hours. First guy who contacted me bought the boat. The market is still hot for clean boats listed at fair prices. Will be interesting to see if rising fuel prices slow the market down.
I agree. I was not in the boat market due to the insane prices. But, good floats still come along. Def dont push it and go on craigslist at this exact moment and buy something. Take your time and wait for the right boat. I think we are in it with these prices for 2 more years but it will 100% crash.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Well for sure the lake is no where near as busy as last summer on the weekends. Still busy, but not crazy nuts busy.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Alot of the money is coming from PPP loans. Once the gov stops giving free money, its gonna be ugly.

I agree with this. Some people scored big time with the PPP loans. Covid was really good for a lot of folks and will be bad for our economy. We simply can't keep printing money. My crystal ball is saying that the bottom is gonna fall out and it will get ugly starting in 2022. What goes up must come down. With that said, right now is a terrible time to be buying that 2000's Magic Deck Boat with a 496 for a hundred grand.