WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ Watercraft Inspection

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Is AZ sincere about educating boaters with this recent watercraft mandatory roadway stop but "Voluntary" watercraft inspection to avoid timely delays down the road?

or do they have other motives?

I'm suspect regarding their intentions

gqchris

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4397.jpg
    IMG_4397.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 197

azsunfun

Reaction score
can't educate those that don't care. stop water critter spreading, don't know how it helps, not drugs, and just to mention, if your in one state and not at state line! probable cause, reasonable suspi cion does'nt mean i have a boat fuck with me, law boys have to have the reasoning i mentioned! USE THOSE EXACT WORDS . PROBABLE CAUSE REASONABLE SUSPICION!!!

Ol Man

Reaction score
My son and I stopped there on Monday on our way home. No issues. A young lady and a young guy did our inspections. Doubt anything nefarious is going on.

azsunfun

Reaction score
they find what they were looking for? or just point at the hole in the back of boat? check your fish limit? so it was ok with you to be delayed in your travels, and for what reasoning?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We gets stopped on the 8 frw at the CA border every time we pass through with a boat from AZ . They check to make sure the plugs are out. If the boat is clean, and plugs are out, they wave ya through.

sintax

Reaction score
thats some shit i'd pull, all bored at working dealing with fat smelly truckers...

"hey Chad, how about you go put a sign out that says something like Boat Inspection, and all the dudes will bring their boats though here and we can check em out"

azsunfun

Reaction score
We gets stopped on the 8 frw at the CA border every time we pass through with a boat from AZ . They check to make sure the plugs are out. If the boat is clean, and plugs are out, they wave ya through.
exactly why no need for az inspection, even pinch point inspections, only making shure open hole in boat, dont worry aboat the sea strainer.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
They phrased the inspection as "you will avoid timely delays up ahead" referring to the Cali inspection and offered some educational brochure.

My response ......If you're referring to the mussel? not necessary... I'm aware of the mussel and take the appropriate precautions.... no pressure after that

Saw 1 boat getting inspected, open hatch, trim lowered... what can they do if they find evidence of mussel? impound?

quarantine? prevent you from continuing your travel? I don't think so Tim

gqchris

Reaction score
They phrased the inspection as "you will avoid timely delays up ahead" referring to the Cali inspection and offered some educational brochure.

My response ......If you're referring to the mussel? not necessary... I'm aware of the mussel and take the appropriate precautions.... no pressure after that

Saw 1 boat getting inspected, open hatch, trim lowered... what can they do if they find evidence of mussel? impound?

Cali keeps your boat in Quarantine if found. The reason I know is we repossessed a boat from Lake Mead in a slip years back and it got impounded in Yermo. They keep it outdoors for 3 weeks to dry out.

Icky

Reaction score

Pretty sure they put a quarantine tag on your bow eye to your hook, and it can't be removed until your quarantine is up.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The inspection is only for water that may be present in the bilge, or evidence of mussels on the drive, hull, lines, or anchor. And contrary to what some fin, fur and feathers cop might tell you, it is NOT illegal to have the bilge plug in place when the boat is on the trailer. The law, and regulations, require that the plug be pulled, and ANY WATER DRAINED FROM THE BILGE, before leaving the ramp or lake area. If you pull the plug, drain the bilge on the ramp, and put the plug back then you are 100% in compliance with regulations.

Zebra and quagga mussel young are called "veligers". They are microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye. A single cup of water from an infected lake can hold millions of these veligers. They are killed from being subjected to water over 140 degrees, a 5% bleach solution, or after drying out. (It takes about a week out of water to kill adult mussels)

If you get stopped because the plug is in place, and the bilge has water in it, you MIGHT be cited, however it's up to them to PROVE that the water in the bilge is infested lake water and not from the rain squall you drove through or the 25 cent (now a dollar) car wash. They would have to PROVE that you are transporting zebra/quagga mussels (or other invasive species), and that would require lab testing. But just having the plug in place IS NOT A VIOLATION, although they may use it as a reason to stop and check the bilge.

Most of these mussel check points should have cleaning equipment (pressure washers with disinfecting or heated water) on scene to quickly disinfect any suspect boats. If the boat is found to actually have physical mussels attached, that's another story. These are mainly from boats that have been docked, anchored or moored in the water for months or years. Full grown mussels don't swim around and attach themselves to boats over a week or so vacation. In those cases they may prevent the boat from continuing on its travels or until fully cleaned (including internal cooling passages), which may involve seizing it. But that is extremely rare.

It's not a "safety" inspection, since there is no requirement to have safety equipment on your boat while it's on a trailer.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
what happens if you don’t stop?
Also is there any reference that you remember about it being the burden of proof being on them? I’m sure you purged most of that from your memory the day you retired! I would too 🍺
The inspection is only for water that may be present in the bilge, or evidence of mussels on the drive, hull, lines, or anchor. And contrary to what some fin, fur and feathers cop might tell you, it is NOT illegal to have the bilge plug in place when the boat is on the trailer. The law, and regulations, require that the plug be pulled, and ANY WATER DRAINED FROM THE BILGE, before leaving the ramp or lake area. If you pull the plug, drain the bilge on the ramp, and put the plug back then you are 100% in compliance with regulations.

Zebra and quagga mussel young are called "veligers". They are microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye. A single cup of water from an infected lake can hold millions of these veligers. They are killed from being subjected to water over 140 degrees, a 5% bleach solution, or after drying out. (It takes about a week out of water to kill adult mussels)

If you get stopped because the plug is in place, and the bilge has water in it, you MIGHT be cited, however it's up to them to PROVE that the water in the bilge is infested lake water and not from the rain squall you drove through or the 25 cent (now a dollar) car wash. They would have to PROVE that you are transporting zebra/quagga mussels (or other invasive species), and that would require lab testing. But just having the plug in place IS NOT A VIOLATION, although they may use it as a reason to stop and check the bilge.

Most of these mussel check points should have cleaning equipment (pressure washers with disinfecting or heated water) on scene to quickly disinfect any suspect boats. If the boat is found to actually have physical mussels attached, that's another story. These are mainly from boats that have been docked, anchored or moored in the water for months or years. Full grown mussels don't swim around and attach themselves to boats over a week or so vacation. In those cases they may prevent the boat from continuing on its travels or until fully cleaned (including internal cooling passages), which may involve seizing it. But that is extremely rare.

It's not a "safety" inspection, since there is no requirement to have safety equipment on your boat while it's on a trailer.

cole_skier

Reaction score
Stopped there 2 weeks ago and the young lady working told me the inspection is voluntary. I told her I have to stop going back into Utah and she have a nice day. They were crawling all over a couple toons though.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
what happens if you don’t stop?
Also is there any reference that you remember about it being the burden of proof being on them? I’m sure you purged most of that from your memory the day you retired! I would too 🍺

Yep. The doctrine of innocent until proven guilty. You can't be convicted of transporting invasive species unless there are actual invasive species. There's no law against transporting water. It's up to them to prove that water in the bilge is lake water, and what lake it came from, and whether it contains the invasive species.

Unless there are actual certified lab tests, then they can go pound quagga infested sand.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
My son and I stopped there on Monday on our way home. No issues. A young lady and a young guy did our inspections. Doubt anything nefarious is going on.

What did the inspection consist of?

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep. The doctrine of innocent until proven guilty. You can't be convicted of transporting invasive species unless there are actual invasive species. There's no law against transporting water. It's up to them to prove that water in the bilge is lake water, and what lake it came from, and whether it contains the invasive species.

Unless there are actual certified lab tests, then they can go pound quagga infested sand.

Can they quarantine your boat until the lab results are back ?

azsunfun

Reaction score
Lower outdrive, check anchors, check life jacket, open engine hatch and feel along the hull. Probably also checked trailer.
wow, i see dumbasses doing this, want to see my anchor bend over bitch

Ol Man

Reaction score
wow, i see dumbasses doing this, want to see my anchor bend over bitch

????? have had similar inspections at the Utah border, Lake Powell. It is not a colon inspection. I wonder if the government were more dilligent with inspections of boats 20 years ago, moving west from the Great Lakes, if we would not have the quagga problem.

azsunfun

Reaction score
????? have had similar inspections at the Utah border, Lake Powell. It is not a colon inspection. I wonder if the government were more dilligent with inspections of boats 20 years ago, moving west from the Great Lakes, if we would not have the quagga problem.
then should not the feds be doing this, interstate commerce, state inspection in the state you are boating in???

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

So why all this now after all the lakes are already infected?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying, but if I pass an officer or inspector that only knows that I have to pull the plug, what is my defense. I agree with innocent until proven guilty, but it’s also wrong to assume that everyone has your knowledge of the laws

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
So why all this now after all the lakes are already infected?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Because all the lakes AREN'T affected. The best that can be done is try and contain them to where they already are. Dump the bilge water where you got it, and not in a clean lake. That's why they inspect as they are leaving affected waters. To keep them there.

The main culprit used to be tournament bass fishermen. They travel lake to lake, across the country for a living, spending a week here, then a week there, pre-fishing, scouting and *cough - cough*, baiting (and I don't mean the hook). Not always draining all the live-wells, and not being out of the water long enough to dry out and kill off the mussels. Now I see wakeboard boats becoming a problem. You really think those bladders are bone dry when "empty" them. Remember, 1 cup of infested water can destroy a whole lake.

I don't believe that they can quarantine a boat, just because "suspected" infected water is in it. They make you drain and dry it, before you can leave. But one with visible mussels, for sure. They'll hold it until they get a contracted clean up service to come out and remove all the mussels. At the owners expense, of course. Most Lakes now have cleaning stations, to disinfect the boat before it leaves. You have to know that all western states are working together to combat the problem. The AZ Agencies are just as concerned with keeping them out of Utah, Idaho and the other states, as they are about keeping AZ's clean lakes, clean. Except California. Fuck those guys.

Mostly it's about education and alerting the public to the problem.

As far as the "hassle" of going through all of this, realize that MWD is spending $10 Million Dollars a year to deal with the quagga issues. Who's paying for that? YOU ARE, through higher water bills. Nationwide, several Billion (with a "B") dollars are spent mitigating quagga problems, a lot of that is tax money, affecting you and me and everybody else. Until we can find some way to remove them, it will only get worse, unless we confine them to already infected lakes.

azsunfun

Reaction score
Because all the lakes AREN'T affected. The best that can be done is try and contain them to where they already are. Dump the bilge water where you got it, and not in a clean lake. That's why they inspect as they are leaving affected waters. To keep them there.

The main culprit used to be tournament bass fishermen. They travel lake to lake, across the country for a living, spending a week here, then a week there, pre-fishing, scouting and *cough - cough*, baiting (and I don't mean the hook). Not always draining all the live-wells, and not being out of the water long enough to dry out and kill off the mussels. Now I see wakeboard boats becoming a problem. You really think those bladders are bone dry when "empty" them. Remember, 1 cup of infested water can destroy a whole lake.

I don't believe that they can quarantine a boat, just because "suspected" infected water is in it. They make you drain and dry it, before you can leave. But one with visible mussels, for sure. They'll hold it until they get a contracted clean up service to come out and remove all the mussels. At the owners expense, of course. Most Lakes now have cleaning stations, to disinfect the boat before it leaves. You have to know that all western states are working together to combat the problem. The AZ Agencies are just as concerned with keeping them out of Utah, Idaho and the other states, as they are about keeping AZ's clean lakes, clean. Except California. Fuck those guys.

As far as the "hassle" of going through all of this, realize that MWD is spending $10 Million Dollars a year to deal with the quagga issues. Who's paying for that? YOU ARE, through higher water bills. Nationwide, several Billion (with a "B") dollars are spent mitigating quagga problems, a lot of that is tax money, affecting you and me and everybody else. Until we can find some way to remove them, it will only get worse, unless we confine them to already infected lakes.
what about the tow vehicles that were in the water? trailers themselves with pond growth attached? you haul with family moving with a boat? yes sport fishing, but lockdowns for no damn reason also made state boat crossings for taste of freedom spread the water wanderers, give me a break government causes every problem and fixes none!!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I commented on this same topic several weeks ago in a different thread -- maybe I can clarify a few points. The 'new' AIS pinch point located on westbound traffic of I-40 across from the eastbound truck scales is something that has been in the works since late 2017 after the Western Governors Association sent letters of condemnation to Arizona and California for doing a lousy job of quagga containment. AZ Game and Fish scrambled to come up with a "new' and 'better' plan to initally deflect the heat which was unveiled at a December 6, 2017 joint meeting of various government agencies at the new BLM office on Kiowa. I attended that 2-day meeting and I still have all my notes. This was suppose to be a 'think-out-of-the-box' get together but in reality it was just a grueling 'dog and pony' show to appear that other stakeholders with differing opinions had a voice in what was being planned. We didn't. If the funding is there, the 'new' pinch point on the I-40 is just the start of a network of new pinch-points all across Arizona highways to single out boaters as the prime offenders of transporting contaminated water to other 'pristine' bodies of fresh water. When fully operational, these 'pinch points' have a much different agenda (i.e. crackdown, strtict enforcement) than the normal casual border inspection stations we all are familiar with.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I gotta be in Havasu Friday for an appointment at SoS was planning to dip after, this thread has me thinking “Fuck it”

azsunfun

Reaction score
I commented on this same topic several weeks ago in a different thread -- maybe I can clarify a few points. The 'new' AIS pinch point located on westbound traffic of I-40 across from the eastbound truck scales is something that has been in the works since late 2017 after the Western Governors Association sent letters of condemnation to Arizona and California for doing a lousy job of quagga containment. AZ Game and Fish scrambled to come up with a "new' and 'better' plan to initally deflect the heat which was unveiled at a December 6, 2017 joint meeting of various government agencies at the new BLM office on Kiowa. I attended that 2-day meeting and I still have all my notes. This was suppose to be a 'think-out-of-the-box' get together but in reality it was just a grueling 'dog and pony' show to appear that other stakeholders with differing opinions had a voice in what was being planned. We didn't. If the funding is there, the 'new' pinch point on the I-40 is just the start of a network of new pinch-points all across Arizona highways to single out boaters as the prime offenders of transporting contaminated water to other 'pristine' bodies of fresh water. When fully operational, these 'pinch points' have a much different agenda (i.e. crackdown, strtict enforcement) than the normal casual border inspection stations we all are familiar with.
i read your original post and laughed then. its kinda like your 1988 bond dollors at work signs. no disrespect whatever fight you believe in, is a worth while fight to you. but boats have been traversing this nation longer than any of us have been alive! even common sense and government involvement wont work unless no boating and every lake drained!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

I'm okay with some wakeboard boats being quarantined. The attitudes that come with most of those guys is the only thing that keeps me from going to the north waters of Parker and Havasu.

Lumpy

Reaction score

Lumpy

Reaction score
So now we are going to get stopped twice...once in AZ and 8 miles later in CA.
Fucking ridiculous.