No bueno if true how it happened

Wild ride even if it’s Vin’s ride 🤣

3DDEB188-1954-45C4-B451-08F48153760A.jpeg
62B7260D-941E-4BBD-807A-75592F439706.jpeg
930CA591-C3BA-493E-A962-E18D78DAE61E.jpeg
D8FDC51A-D21A-4EFC-AA82-71B42E64D77F.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Would that cause the landing gear to activate?

I have never been in that situation to know how bad I would panic. But if have only engaged the trailer brakes and not the truck brakes it might have stayed straight.

But with the arc of the road for water run off it would still naturally want to drift right.
Pretty much fucked no matter what.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I have never been in that situation to know how bad I would panic. But if have only engaged the trailer brakes and not the truck brakes it might have stayed straight.

But with the arc of the road for water run off it would still naturally want to drift right.
Pretty much fucked no matter what.

I would be curious how much the landing gear dug in to affect the direction of travel vs braking.
May never know. Instinct on most commercial drivers would be keep straight and steady pressure with braking.
Lot of variables probably at play.

Thankfully the Cozad low beds and zieman triple axles I towed didn’t have this to have to find out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The only thing I could see "causing" this is the driver stowing chains and binders on top of the pump and solenoids...which may be in the front box. With a dual tandem, he should had enough brakes to stop it, but probably panicked and locked the truck brakes. With the rear weight unloaded, the antilocks are going to be confused as well. Could have been worse, at least he wasn't loaded down.

4Waters

Reaction score
The only thing I could see "causing" this is the driver stowing chains and binders on top of the pump and solenoids...which may be in the front box. With a dual tandem, he should had enough brakes to stop it, but probably panicked and locked the truck brakes. With the rear weight unloaded, the antilocks are going to be confused as well. Could have been worse, at least he wasn't loaded down.
^^^This^^^

Figure a chain jumped the solenoid, just like jumping a starter solenoid.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I’ll stick to manual landing gear lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I’ll stick to manual landing gear lol
My open trailer has manual landing gear. As long as I'm unhitching unloaded, no big issue at all. Loaded, I really should swap it out for a 2 speed setup. My 36ft enclosed has hydraulic...but pump and solenoids are placed well, and it doesn't haul equipment and such.
The hydraulics are stout though. When I was moving out here, I lost an inside dual on my Dodge...just west of Desert Center, in August, with three kids and wife. Picked up the ass end of the 1ton real quick, and went full Nascar for the tire change.
I can see how shit can get bad in a hurry if the wiring gets screwed with.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
at least some type of pin to hold the jacks from falling if there's a fail

Most electric or hydraulic setups I’ve seen have safety pins. Seems like a good idea after seeing this. Wondering if there was a short in the wiring harness?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
My guess; his trailer brakes weren't hooked up, or weren't working properly.
I would think all he had to do was touch the truck's brake pedal and the trailer would have pulled everything back into line if they were.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Most trucks with optioned trailer brakes have programmable brake-gain…

my new diamond C gooseneck has hydro landing gear controlled with a wired remote switch. Maybe his remote button got pressed by an object…

I wouldn’t put anything in the controls box on mine.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That was my thinking, at 70mph, I would think the landing gear and asphalt would have a lot more damage.
On my 40ft goose, it has the standard spring catch drop leg deal. I didn't suck it all the way up once. Rolling out of a driveway, empty...maybe 5mph?...that F'r plowed to a halt on Tucson asphalt! Probably bent it back 3-4 degrees.

With his, I don't know if it would have gone from sparking tail dragger to "oh shit", or how quick.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
That was my thinking, at 70mph, I would think the landing gear and asphalt would have a lot more damage.

ive seen a bunch of bagged vehicles that mount 'skid plates' or blocks under their cars so they can drag and make sparks. you'd be amazed how little metal actually grinds off of those things doing down the freeway at speed. its not like those jacking legs wouldve grinded down to stumps in 500 feet.

99b73e541628d3f68bb8740b6e7456d7.jpg

ball1-jpg.197134

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
ive seen a bunch of bagged vehicles that mount 'skid plates' or blocks under their cars so they can drag and make sparks. you'd be amazed how little metal actually grinds off of those things doing down the freeway at speed. its not like those jacking legs wouldve grinded down to stumps in 500 feet.

99b73e541628d3f68bb8740b6e7456d7.jpg

ball1-jpg.197134
The lowrider guys in the 90s were running titanium I believe. Whatever it was, looked like a jet boat roost at 50. PD would light you up in half a heartbeat.

Being older and watching grass fires from trailer chains and poor exhaust work...well now it makes sense.