WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lookie what I got.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
This is a 1940's vintage Atlas/Kalamazoo bench top drill press marketed by Sears/Craftsman industrial. Now this thing has some history behind it. My family started Weslock Corp. , which began as a small shop in my uncles garage and eventually grew into one of the big three lock manufacturers in the country (Weslock, Kwickset and Schlage). This drill press was one of the early prototyping tools that they used. As they upgraded to bigger and better machinery they would give away the old stuff to any family members that wanted it so my father ended up with this.
Dad passed away many years ago and mom remarried so her new husband took possession of most of my dad's tools. Now Joe (mom's new husband) fancied himself a great mechanic and outstanding hobbyist but really he was nothing more than a hack. This old drill press has suffered many indignities at his hands over the years but now that he has passed and mom is gone I finally have possession of this great piece of family history and will be restoring and using it myself.
I will post pics and updates as the restoration prgresses.

1612389086622.png

1612389247510.png

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
It always pisses me off when someone is to lazy or ignorant to position their work piece correctly.

1612391075393.png

Hopefully the God's of industry will forgive me this one time for using liquid steel but after flat filling, sanding and stoneing I can run my 98 over the surface without snagging on anything and it is flat.

1612391353787.png

Tonight I think I'll address that whimpy little 1/3 hp buffer motor that moms hubby adapted to the drill. It was hugely underpowered and without a starting capacitor you have to hand spin the belt to get it started.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Very cool. Following. I’ve got a (I think) war era craftsman that I fished out of a dumpster.
I’m going to do a restore on it when I get motorvated .

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Females are kind of weird when it comes to tools from their late husbands...
My Mom gave all Pops' tools to my brother when he passed. Mom's reasoning was, "Well, you have all your own tools, your brother doesn't have any."
Well, I can't think of a time my brother ever used tools...ever. I use tools every day. May be why I have them.

Old family tools are cool. I have a slide rule that was my great uncles, a machinist's hammer that was my grandfather's. Grandfather is the reason someday I'll get an old Cadillac lathe, have a pic of him leaning on one in Burbank during the war. I still have the first shingleing hatchet Pops gave me...30+ years ago, worn and haggard, but it made me a lot of money in those years.

Some tools are better built now, others are not. Tools with any connection to a loved one though seem to be the best.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My Mom gave all Pops' tools to my brother when he passed. Mom's reasoning was, "Well, you have all your own tools, your brother doesn't have any."
Well, I can't think of a time my brother ever used tools...ever. I use tools every day. May be why I have them.

Old family tools are cool. I have a slide rule that was my great uncles, a machinist's hammer that was my grandfather's. Grandfather is the reason someday I'll get an old Cadillac lathe, have a pic of him leaning on one in Burbank during the war. I still have the first shingleing hatchet Pops gave me...30+ years ago, worn and haggard, but it made me a lot of money in those years.

Some tools are better built now, others are not. Tools with any connection to a loved one though seem to be the best.

None of my tools have those stories. :( everything I've accumulated has been via my own wallet (and the occasional bilge find) what I wouldnt give to have some of those family heirlooms or stories of working in the garage on project xyz with an older family member, or even a neighbor with an old hand me down dirtbike donated by some stranger from the internet .

That will be a badass piece when your done @Rajobigguy

Spudsbud

Reaction score
None of my tools have those stories. :( everything I've accumulated has been via my own wallet (and the occasional bilge find) what I wouldnt give to have some of those family heirlooms or stories of working in the garage on project xyz with an older family member, or even a neighbor with an old hand me down dirtbike donated by some stranger from the internet .

That will be a badass piece when your done @Rajobigguy

Shlby,
You, be the beginning of the next generations heirloom tools. I am! & I have a gargage full too !

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Center table was designed to be adjustable 90 degrees right or left but since this thing has been painted over repeatedly the lock pin holes were filled with paint and the table was pretty much glued to the column clamp. After reaming the lock pin holes, removing paint from surfaces that shouldn't have any and lubing the surfaces it move really easy. clearances are surprisingly snug.

IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Now on to the motor. This is what mom's hubby thought was a suitable drive for the drill. It is a 1/3 hp non capacitor start motor from a buffer and yes he considered the wiring acceptable.
r.
IMG_0139.JPG

Now let's look at the right way to do this.
This is a reversible capacitor start motor and although not a true bidirectional motor if you use a 12 pole 3 position switch and some creative wiring you can make it switchable. Now a 1/2 hp motor would be adequate and 3/4 is more than you really need so me being me I went for a full1 hp. 😁
IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

You probably notice that there are two motor base shims. every belt drive arrangement that uses parallel rails for adjustment tends to cant the motor in the direction of the force applied by the belts so to counter this it's a good idea to tip it lightly away from the pull to keep the motor shaft and quill shaft parallel.

I even made a little time to polish my shaft.😁

IMG_0145.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 62

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Rajobigguy , For some reason I always liked the way machining marks are on older items. I think because they aren't as perfect as the CNC'd everything now. Some guy was turning the dials, probably on a belt driven machine...flat belt from ceiling or floor...thermos with coffee, black metal lunch box🇺🇲

@Shlbyntro , the few tools I have with meaning are really just by chance. The hammer was being thrown out, but I knew what it was, and then saw his name on it. The slide rule I'm still learning how to use, but I'll figure it out. The hatchet is the big one. I never would of thought much of it. I literally have close to 100 hammers, for metal and construction. I've lost, and given hatchets from my truck to guys that forgot theirs...this one always hung around. I was meant to still have it I guess.

I've attained a pretty big collection of automotive tools now. Sheetmetal work stuff and fab stuff as well. I hope my kids use them, or at least take something to remember me by. I hope they get used by someone when I'm gone, even if not my family. Lots of money, or work to get them.

Maybe they can use my anvil as my headstone?

rrrr

Reaction score
Now on to the motor. This is what mom's hubby thought was a suitable drive for the drill. It is a 1/3 hp non capacitor start motor from a buffer and yes he considered the wiring acceptable.
r. View attachment 969344

Now let's look at the right way to do this.
This is a reversible capacitor start motor and although not a true bidirectional motor if you use a 12 pole 3 position switch and some creative wiring you can make it switchable. Now a 1/2 hp motor would be adequate and 3/4 is more than you really need so me being me I went for a full1 hp. 😁
View attachment 969347
View attachment 969346
View attachment 969348
You probably notice that there are two motor base shims. every belt drive arrangement that uses parallel rails for adjustment tends to cant the motor in the direction of the force applied by the belts so to counter this it's a good idea to tip it lightly away from the pull to keep the motor shaft and quill shaft parallel.

I even made a little time to polish my shaft.😁

View attachment 969350

Lookin' good. You need to replace that box store stuff. Get rid of the Chinese bolts and fender washers, and buy some XH black oxide hardware.

👀🔩

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Lookin' good. You need to replace that box store stuff. Get rid of the Chinese bolts and fender washers, and buy some XH black oxide hardware.

👀🔩
Maybe, we'll see. Those capscrews are actually 316 SS but once it's all done it will get blown apart for paint (I'm thinking hammer tone bronze) and I can do any hardware upgrades at that point.

rrrr

Reaction score
Maybe, we'll see. Those capscrews are actually 316 SS but once it's all done it will get blown apart for paint (I'm thinking hammer tone bronze) and I can do any hardware upgrades at that point.

I like the black oxide hardware because it looks like the OG stuff but stays cleaner and won't rust.

A couple of months ago, I cleaned up a little Dayton bench grinder that was purchased at Grainger in 1972 by my Dad for his shop. I was fourteen. I acquired it soon after that, and it's traveled all over the Southwest with me over the years.

I removed the nameplate so I could prep and repaint the body, and getting the 1/16" drive rivets that held it in place without damaging the nameplate or the rivet heads was challenging. I sent him a photo of it and we talked about the old workbench it was mounted on, it brought back some good memories for him.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I like the black oxide hardware because it looks like the OG stuff but stays cleaner and won't rust.

A couple of months ago, I cleaned up a little Dayton bench grinder that was purchased at Grainger in 1972 by my Dad for his shop. I was fourteen. I acquired it soon after that, and it's traveled all over the Southwest with me over the years.

I removed the nameplate so I could prep and repaint the body, and getting the 1/16" drive rivets that held it in place without damaging the nameplate or the rivet heads was challenging. I sent him a photo of it and we talked about the old workbench it was mounted on, it brought back some good memories for him.
The nameplate is a bit of an issue. Moms new hubby decided that the switch should be located right over it for convivence so he drilled a small hole through it and ran a sheet metal screw in to hold the switch box.
I've always been a function over form kind of guy which is why I have no problem updating the motor, after all this is going to be a functional piece in my shop and investing in a 1/2 hp cast iron frame motor (which is likely what it would have come with) just doesn't make sense. Having said that it is still an heirloom piece of equipment and I would like to keep as much of the original design and feel as possible so I wrestle with how much time, and energy I'm going to put into the nameplate. If I can find an original replacement I would jump on it but I don't have much hope of resurrecting the one it came with.

Last edited:

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

They can get real mean too when it comes to ex husbands and their tools. I snagged a 6' fiberglass ladder on craigslist for 20 bucks which was a steal and when asked why she said her ex pissed her off and she was liquidating all of his "garage stuff".

Ouch.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The nameplate is a bit of an issue. Moms new hubby decided that the switch should be located right over it for convivence so he drilled a small hole through it and ran a sheet metal screw in to hold the switch box.
I've always been a function over form kind of guy which is why I have no problem updating the motor, after all this is going to be a functional piece in my shop and investing in a 1/2 hp cast iron frame motor (which is likely what it would have come with) just doesn't make sense. Having said that it is still an heirloom piece of equipment and I would like to keep as much of the original design and feel as possible so I wrestle with how much time, and energy I'm going to put into the nameplate. If I can find and original replacement I would jump on it but I don't have much hope of resurrecting the one it came with.

Well I said that if could find one I'd jump on it so being a man of my word just cost me another C-note.

1612451511281.png
1612451511281.png

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I don’t think that worked. I’ll try again later.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Well video works but opening the attachment is sloooow. One of these days I'll figure out the process for uploading videos.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Here's mine. It's been through hell and back and that was before I got it about 38 years ago. Came out of the Anaheim school district a very long time ago. I haven't paid that much attention to it as one can see but it still does what I've needed it to do. Heavy as all get out!!! IMG_2775.JPG IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
All painted and pretty. I dont know why it sounds like aa high pitched whine in the video because in real life it's quiet as a church mouse.
all that's really left now is to wait for the placards. While I had it apart to paint I went through the quill bearings and dressed the the pinion gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.MOV
    195.4 MB
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0157.MOV
    98.8 MB

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

i have more black oxide hardware in my garage than any hardware store out here.. let me know if you need any help.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
i have more black oxide hardware in my garage than any hardware store out here.. let me know if you need any help.

Ill take a Ford 302 complete engine bolt kit. Let me know when you're ready for my address

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ill take a Ford 302 complete engine bolt kit. Let me know when you're ready for my address

Wouldn't even know what that consists of.. LOL.

Honestly I have been considering selling my screw collection since I have found out the prices have gone through the roof on both stainless and oxide. I probably have a good 10K sitting here without even breaking a sweat.

RD

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I just took some g-8 cad plated bolts and coated them with moly and teflon. They look close enough to black oxide. In reality what they would have likely used back then would have been square head nuts and bolts but I wasn't necessarily going for a concourse restoration. It does have a few updates like sealed bearings as opposed to open bearings that should have a squirt of oil before ea. use, obviously a bigger/better motor and some updated hardware but thanks again for the offer. 👍

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I just took some g-8 cad plated bolts and coated them with moly and teflon. They look close enough to black oxide. I reality what they would have likely used back then would have been square head nuts and bolts but I wasn't necessarily going for a concourse restoration. It does have a few updates like sealed bearings as opposed to open bearings that should have a squirt of oil before ea. use, obviously a bigger/better motor and some updated hardware but thanks again for the offer. 👍

how do you raise and lower the table? Hand crank or dead lift?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
how do you raise and lower the table? Hand crank or dead lift?
It's a dead lift, I like the way they clamp it though. Rather than a simple split ring clamp it has two opposing pucks that have a bevel cut into them and they pilot inside a nicely fitted trough hole on the back of the clamp. Once released everything moves real easy rather than the usual fight trying to keep the split open and you can adjust how much clamping force (or lack of it) you want.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
This forced me to redo mine. Actually found a ton of info on line on older machine equipment. Determined mine was a 1937 - 1940 Sears Craftsman Companion drill press. New $14.95 or $24.95 with the motor on it. Found the brochures, cut sheets with part numbers and even the cut sheet for the Dunlap motor. Replaced the motor bearings and did a good internal cleaning. Stripped down the rest and painted it and re assembled it all. The only thing that really needs replacing and I cannot locate one is the top spindle pully. Its a 6 spline step pulley that mounts to a bushing that comes up through the top. The spindle goes down and back up through it. This was my grandfathers. My dad was blow away looking at it now
Old DP.jpg
DP.jpg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Looks great!

with respect to the black oxide bolts, Caswell Plating makes a DIY cold process black oxide kit (it’s really just a bottle of concentrate solution and a can of “sealer”). I use it for brake caliper hardware on the units I rebuild....can’t justify $120 batch charge to zinc plate a couple handfuls of hardware, so I do this. It’s not “real” black oxide, but looks the same. Dunk the bolts in oil or (I use Zep Preserve) and they hold up OK...as good as any black oxide, which by itself has little to no corrosion resistance. It’s about $60 IIRC, but worth it if you have quite a few”restoration” projects....adds a nice finishing touch.
I do the black oxide as well as a hot bath zinc phosphate (castings, chunks of steel, ect) in house and it great to be able to create a finish other than paint.