WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I really hate admitting that I never knew this.

DLC

Reaction score
Wow that is good to know!

Thank you for posting

ltbaney1

Reaction score
thats pretty cool, but seems slower than using the strippers, i also had no clue about the "depth" gage.

Taboma

Reaction score
thats pretty cool, but seems slower than using the strippers, i also had no clue about the "depth" gage.

The strip length gauge is pretty universal across all lines, this stripper thing seems to be limited to the Arrowhart (Now Eaton Arrowhart) brand. P&S (Pass and Seymour) doesn't have them, a couple of Hubble models have slots where the break off tabs are, but I can't tell if they're gauged for wire stripping.
I shudder to think who might actually need to use this feature. :oops: This is mostly likely why it's still a secret 😂

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You didn't know about it cause it's not something that's on every switch or outlet.

I'd bet a beer or two it's not on any older ones...

20210621_175254.jpg

termiteguy

Reaction score
I felt a little dumb the other day when I saw that same video and I was wtf I didn't know that

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Using Leviton outlets means using a wire stripper not the stamped metal on those outlets

C-2

Reaction score
Hey I watched her to learn how to set my toilet!

Cool vid, thanks for sharing.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I'm not an electrician, but I'll use my klein stripper first...

WYRD

Reaction score
Seems way slower than good old wire strippers. My guys better be three wiring outlet boxes long before trim shows up 🤔 👷‍♂️

Taboma

Reaction score
OK, to bring this story of the " Secret Stripper" to a conclusion, I offer the following.

This Wire Stripper feature is held in patent by Cooper/Eaton Arrow Hart -- you will not find it on any other brands for that reason.

The feature is advertised in their brochures as a "Time Saving Patented Wire Stripper".

The revolutionary feature ( Yup, must sell millions for that feature alone) is also included with their Hospital Grade and Industrial Grade as well as construction grade lines.
I hope to hell, any electrician wiring a hospital isn't using that patented wire stripper in order to save time.

Oh and has anybody ever really used the feature to shave a couple of seconds off their installation time. 🤷‍♂️ If so please share with the class.

Thank You SoCalDave, that was very interesting and I always enjoy learning something knew --- and trust me, this is a new one even for this ancient Sparky. 👍👍

While investigating these mystery slots, I discovered a couple of other interesting things and one rather important fact the Youtube person didn't share.

Despite the slots being on both the bottom and top tabs ( Yet, not in all models, some only have it on one end), ONLY the bottom tab slots are for wire stripping, because only that side has the actually stripping blade or edge if you will.

Also ALL the Arrow Hart brochures are WRONG --- they all state the same thing --- Incorrectly, they state it strips # 10 and # 12 gauge. However, when you blow up the image, you'll note it's stamped # 14 on the left and # 12 on the right. You'll also note the cutting edge on the stripping side, the opposite end the slot edges are smooth.

I think this horse has been beaten and we can proclaim this mystery solved 👍👍🥳

PS: Does anybody want to volunteer to advise Eaton Arrow Hart that all their receptacle brochures are WRONG ? I think next time I'm in Lowes, because Lowes sells AH Receptacles, I'm going to have to check this feature out and maybe share with any bystanders. 😂

AH Recpt stripper .jpg

AH convenient stripper.JPG

AH Stripper.JPG

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
On a serious note….. where do you hold it when you strip hot wires??? Half the time I’m doing shit in my house I’m not flipping breakers. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
On a serious note….. where do you hold it when you strip hot wires??? Half the time I’m doing shit in my house I’m not flipping breakers. [emoji51]

Yeah, I don't do that anymore - I've gotten zapped by grabbing the side screws too many times because there's a whole gang of wires back in the box and the outlet won't push back evenly, one side always seems to be sticking out further than the other and trying to tweak it back is when I get zapped. I just shut off the main and go about changing them out.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I actually knew about the stripper but never used it(and mostly ignored it) since I always had the "real tool" handy. I've used slots or holes on the fixture to put a bend in wire if necessary though.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I’ll stir the pot here and say this type of wire stripper is outstanding - I won’t use the “standard” wire stripper unless it’s all I have with me when needed

2B44A88A-857C-424C-9E6D-0A90D82CC397.png

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
These Blue Point strippers, are literally the best wire strippers I’ve ever used. They are amazing, you electrical contractors probably haven’t tried them, since they are an automotive tool. The other strippers are also very capable, but the Blue Point is light and easy to use.

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yep those Blue Point type are the best!
I have two of them purchased from McMaster.

1624393799953.png

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't do that anymore - I've gotten zapped by grabbing the side screws too many times because there's a whole gang of wires back in the box and the outlet won't push back evenly, one side always seems to be sticking out further than the other and trying to tweak it back is when I get zapped. I just shut off the main and go about changing them out.
when we found it necessary to R&R receptacles or switches hot, we'd throw a wrap or two of tape around device and cover the screws before we screw them in, made it easier to tweak them for alignment.