WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thompson bay accident

azsunfun

Reaction score
The two that jumped off trying to save him, how do you almost drown in Thompson Bay? Maybe the panic of the situation I suppose....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whe it's windy the cop and wind pushing the boat away can be i
The two that jumped off trying to save him, how do you almost drown in Thompson Bay? Maybe the panic of the situation I suppose....

wind and chop can
If you have ever tried to save a drowning victim you would know, the panic is unreal of the victim and they'll try anything to stay on the surface, even if it means trying to stay on top of you. It is truly the worst thing to watch as I have witnessed twice it in my younger days.
past lifegaurd and your correct, lifegaurd downfall could be at the hands of the person your saving.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Horrible news - I don't know if it's just because more information is available now than it used to be, but it seems like this situation is making the news more often than I remember. I would hope that the rental companies are taking a few extra minutes to explain how quickly the boat can drift away from a swimmer and how important it is to have a flotation device on or in hand when people jump in the lake to cool off.

Duramax

Reaction score
If you can’t swim.... stay out of the water.
It really is amazing how many adults cannot swim.....at the same time, if you do not have access to a pool while growing up, I can see how time gets away and you never learn how. When I was younger I just assumed everyone is a good swimmer, just as everyone can read well. I was wrong in both instances. RIP young man

havasuhusker

Reaction score
We always have some type of floatation device when we jump in.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
If you have ever tried to save a drowning victim you would know, the panic is unreal of the victim and they'll try anything to stay on the surface, even if it means trying to stay on top of you. It is truly the worst thing to watch as I have witnessed twice it in my younger days.
In life guard training they taught us how to kick/push someone off of you so they don’t bring you down as well so you can reevaluate.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Thank you for your service
Most of us know your comment was directed from one Retired Cop to another

Been on body recovery dives myself, tough job mentally and physically

Oh, and fuck the haters who never handled your
Beat….

Had to be said.

yup!! And can be said again especially in these times.

Seas

Reaction score
Other than a typical throw cushion with a retrieving line tied to it, does anyone know of a better throwable device? If its windy, that throw cushion will catch the wind like a sail in mid-flight and most likely land nowhere close to the victim you are aiming at. I have seen the throwable retrievable line-in-a-bag advertised which might have a bit better chance of overcoming the wind due to its weight but never tried one.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Other than a typical throw cushion with a retrieving line tied to it, does anyone know of a better throwable device? If its windy, that throw cushion will catch the wind like a sail in mid-flight and most likely land nowhere close to the victim you are aiming at. I have seen the throwable retrievable line-in-a-bag advertised which might have a bit better chance of overcoming the wind due to its weight but never tried one.
Makes sense why the commercial grade donut throwables on the larger boats are hard and have some weight to them

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
JESUS!!! That's oddly aggressive! Did you happen to stop and consider that he was looking out for a bretheren's peace of mind? And offering some of his own experience? But yeah, lets gather the mob and pitch forks and get to lynchin!!!!! [emoji35]

IMG_0978.jpg

Reactions: DWC

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm sure many already know this . . . but it may be worth sharing. If you have someone fully clothed fall in, say in the winter, or perhaps they are a 'large' individual and you are in an outboard powered boat . . . if it's too much to lift the person back in by hand, and you have no ladder, have them put their foot on the anti-ventilation plate above the prop and 'trim them' back in. I read a story where a fat bass fisherman was on the delta and fell in fishing solo one morning and was unable to get back in his bass boat . . . he was able to push the trim button while putting one foot on the AV plate . . . wasn't pretty but may have saved him. Might work with an inboard/outboard as well.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The rate of drift of a pontoon boat in the wind is considerable. Sometimes hard to believe how quick they move. A couple of years ago a Havasu local senior took his grandkids out on a hot day on his pontoon boat. Believe he had operated this boat numerous times. Weather similar to what we’re having now, he stopped the boat and jumped in to cool off. The wind suddenly came out of nowhere. Grandpa could swim, but there was no way he could catch that rapidly drifting pontoon boat. His grandkids did not know how to start or operate the boat. Believe they were about 6-7 yrs old. They watched in horror as their Grandpa perished. I find it hard to imagine something more horrific for those poor kids. So many simple ways to prevent this. I believe most are known by 99% of the people here who read this. Starting with use your F’in head, especially when young kids are involved.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The rate of drift of a pontoon boat in the wind is considerable. Sometimes hard to believe how quick they move. A couple of years ago a Havasu local senior took his grandkids out on a hot day on his pontoon boat. Believe he had operated this boat numerous times. Weather similar to what we’re having now, he stopped the boat and jumped in to cool off. The wind suddenly came out of nowhere. Grandpa could swim, but there was no way he could catch that rapidly drifting pontoon boat. His grandkids did not know how to start or operate the boat. Believe they were about 6-7 yrs old. They watched in horror as their Grandpa perished. I find it hard to imagine something more horrific for those poor kids. So many simple ways to prevent this. I believe most are known by 99% of the people here who read this. Starting with use your F’in head, especially when young kids are involved.

100% true on drift
After owning one 10 years, they drift much faster than fiberglass

I only go in the water hanging on to the side.
Gotta be able to get back in and pretty sure I swim /dive more than most here.

Outside a pool is just that : outside and unknown

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Yes. A safety card would not have changed the outcome.

An 8 hour boater safety course would absolutely make an impact on cases like this. Any tom dick and harry can rent a boat now and a large portion of these incidents are on rental boats with inexperienced operators. I'm not one for government regulation...but something has to give in someway or later down the road none of us are going to like what the .gov does as a solution. They likely had no idea how that boat would drift, nor how to recover etc..panic causes injuries, death etc. It's a shit deal all around, but the rental companies share the blame. Go take a lawn chair to Windsor and watch the rentals leave....motors trimed out..blasting through the no wake etc etc..let alone what happens on the water.

A lot of us grew up coming to the river, I also grew up on saltwater boats etc...I as many others on here were lucky to have a lot of seat time..we take that for granted..these guys don't have that nor do they have a damn clue what to do in a crisis situation.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
An 8 hour boater safety course would absolutely make an impact on cases like this. Any tom dick and harry can rent a boat now and a large portion of these incidents are on rental boats with inexperienced operators. I'm not one for government regulation...but something has to give in someway or later down the road none of us are going to like what the .gov does as a solution. They likely had no idea how that boat would drift, nor how to recover etc..panic causes injuries, death etc. It's a shit deal all around, but the rental companies share the blame. Go take a lawn chair to Windsor and watch the rentals leave....motors trimed out..blasting through the no wake etc etc..let alone what happens on the water.

A lot of us grew up coming to the river, I also grew up on saltwater boats etc...I as many others on here were lucky to have a lot of seat time..we take that for granted..these guys don't have that nor do they have a damn clue what to do in a crisis situation.

You think an 8 hour safety class would have solved any of those problems? No it wouldn’t have. There is nothing in the class that would teach them how much a pontoon might drift in the wind when floating. There is nothing in the class that would teach them how to swim. There was nothing in the class that would teach them what to do when someone dives in the water and does not come back up.

The government isn’t going to do anything. They already had the opportunity and didn’t.
People rent all kinds of things and don’t know what they are doing with them. That is life, not everyone is smart and not everyone is an expert. The renter signed their lives away when they rented the boat. It is not the rental business responsibility to vet their rental clients boating ability, swimming ability, or common sense. The rental companies provide a service, that is it. They are not the lake police.

For the hundreds of rentals that happen every weekend, there are really very few incidents.

I launch out of Windsor every other weekend. I’ve seen the rental boats, I stay away from them when launching or pulling the boat out, it is very easy.

Last edited:

mobldj

Reaction score
im must be getting old and scared because i dont ever jump in the water anymore.its down the ladder and theres always a ski rope let out to hold onto while sitting in a life jacket.parker water moves pretty fast and the pontoon with the biminis up is a fucking sailboat. better safe than sorry.silly way to die.....rip

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In Havasu right now picking up stuff...not much cell service at my place by Topock...catching up...

Hat's off to the MCSO...35' depth and 5' visibility is a tough one. Glad guys have the heart and mindset. Not an easy task on the mind or body.

The asking how you almost drown trying to save someone, or stay in the boat if you can't swim...as pointed out, water rescue is a whole different game, especially dealing with someone of adult size.
Also, swimming ability or not, any parent worth a damn would risk their last breath for their child.
I'm a good swimmer because my parents were not. Neighbor put in a pool, and my parents were worried. Red cross swimming lessons, year round swimming after that...lifeguarded to pay for it.

Prayers for the family...their child is recovered, but the reality of the loss os just starting.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Sad deal indeed for the family. RIP young one...

I've shared one of my experiences here that happened to me 23 years ago and will tell it again as it relates to this horrific event.
July 19, 1998 I turned 40 years old we were on vacation in my home town of Crossville, TN and the family was having a large gathering at the family lake (Watts Bar) that we attended that day. It was about noonish when my cousin asked if I would take her, my aunts and some other relatives on a boat ride in her mom's pontoon boat. Being an avid boater I was more than glade to get behind the helm. They requested to go across the lake to the cliffs where my Father/Uncles had jumped off of when they were younger so off we went. There were all women on board and my cousins son and his friend who were in their younger 20's. We get there and I shut her down about 50 feet from shore. The boys jump in swim to shore and climb to the second level which was about 25' or so. I'm watching them jump a couple of times and decide it's time to show them how it's done. Now I hadn't jumped from here in probably 20+ years so instead of going strait to level 3 I jumped from level 2, no problem. Swim back to shore and climb to level 3 which in probably close to 40' and hesitate for a few minutes before I jump. I hit the water good and surface thinking it's time to get back on he boat. I look toward where I wad parked it and the wind had picked-up blowing it away from me. I start swimming toward it but the wind is pushing ever so slightly away. By the time I finally made it to the boat I was a bout ready to give up I was so winded. Actually at one point I was thinking I wasn't going to make it. I get on board, look at my cousin and ask her why in the hell didn't she start the boat and come back for us? She looked at me and said "I don't know how to drive this damn thing". I sat there for a few minutes drinking some water and getting my breath back. Thing about it they were all so busy taking to each other they didn't even notice how far they had drifted or the struggle I was having to reach them. I started the boat up and went picked up the others and we headed back to the lot.
That was an eye opener for me and ever since that day I never jump into the water unless I have a vest on or with me. Same rule goes for everyone else that's on my boat as well. Wear your PDF's when in the water folks.

Thanks for sharing that. I had a similar experience and probably many others here. I learned from it.
As skipper, no quesstion it's our responsibility to look out for everyones safety.
However, who looks out for us???????
What I've learned is.....No One. they don't think about it..
I ALWAYS vest up going in the water...

grumpy88

Reaction score
Since our grandkid i always put on a vest . I cant help him if i cant save myself . My wife still always goes with out . Untill today ! She agrees going forward we all will ware or hold onto something when getting in the water . Rip youngster .

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
If you have ever tried to save a drowning victim you would know, the panic is unreal of the victim and they'll try anything to stay on the surface, even if it means trying to stay on top of you. It is truly the worst thing to watch as I have witnessed it twice in my younger days.

You Never approach a Drowing Victim from the front.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A lot of people can't swim. It's actually shocking how many adults can't swim.

Im gonna say I can't swim...

I can, like maybe the legnth of my pool, but any further than that and I'm toast.

Everyone has a different body type, even though I'm fat, I don't float!!!

This is why swimming is extremely difficult for me. I'm never more than 5 feet from the boat jumping in. And if I want to stay in the water cause I'm hot, I wear a California diaper to float around and relax.

gqchris

Reaction score
im must be getting old and scared because i dont ever jump in the water anymore.its down the ladder and theres always a ski rope let out to hold onto while sitting in a life jacket.parker water moves pretty fast and the pontoon with the biminis up is a fucking sailboat. better safe than sorry.silly way to die.....rip

Youre not the only one sir. I dont jump and I always have a flotation device with me. I know my limits being fat , I would gas out instantly in any sort of struggle.

I hate that we have read these threads every year.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Although, NOT drowning in the Lake every Summer in Phoenix ou can just begin waiting for the Pool Drownings involving young Children. I swear same Story different Day/Year. I just turned my back for a Minute to do this or that. DAMN People, if you have a pool and a fence, take More precautions. There is No Excuse for these hildren Drowning in Home Pools.

NO EXCUSE!!😩

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Although, NOT drowning in the Lake every Summer in Phoenix ou can just begin waiting for the Pool Drownings involving young Children. I swear same Story different Day/Year. I just turned my back for a Minute to do this or that. DAMN People, if you have a pool and a fence, take More precautions. There is No Excuse for these hildren Drowning in Home Pools.

NO EXCUSE!!😩

They are called tragic accidents for a reason.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
They are called tragic accidents for a reason.

I understand that you Always Post before giving any thought on the Content. Please re read my Post. There is No Excuse for any Drowning in a Home Pool.. Parents that are attempting to Multi Task and it is Obvious it is Not Working.

It must be a Slow Day for you. You Know Posting in Every Thead, no matter on Subject or Subdivision. 🤔

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I understand that you Always Post before giving any thought on the Content. Please re read my Post. There is No Excuse for any Drowning in a Home Pool.. Parents that are attempting to Multi Task and it is Obvious it is Not Working.

It must be a Slow Day for you. You Know Posting in Every Thead, no matter on Subject or Subdivision. 🤔

A parent’s entire life is multitasking.

So your premise is that any parent that has a child drown in a pool should be tried and convicted for negligent homicide?

Again, they are called an “accident”, not an “on purpose”.

Singleton

Reaction score

I know someone who lost a child due to a pool incident. It was a tragic accident, that they deal with daily. The guilt, what-if, etc is huge. My family friend will never get over the accident. He lost his 12yo son who was swimming laps in the pool (extra practice for swim team). Tragic accident!

Now, those who have a pool, but don’t take the time to make sure their children know who to swim - I have issues with. My daughter was in swim lessons @ 4months of age and I don’t have a pool (did it for safety with boating).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I know someone who lost a child due to a pool incident. It was a tragic accident, that they deal with daily. The guilt, what-if, etc is huge. My family friend will never get over the accident. He lost his 12yo son who was swimming laps in the pool (extra practice for swim team). Tragic accident!

Now, those who have a pool, but don’t take the time to make sure their children know who to swim - I have issues with. My daughter was in swim lessons @ 4months of age and I don’t have a pool (did it for safety with boating).

Can’t wait for the = RESPONSE!!! here. 🤐

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I have a similar occurance with my cousin's family. Neighborhood barbeque at their house and they lost their youngest boy in the pool. My aunt and uncle were there, two older siblings, and it was tragic. A case where everyone was there and watching but somehow he fell in the pool unnoticed. Things like this go down so quick.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Shit . . . when I was a kid maybe 12-13 years old, I was helping pull one of those 'pool-covers' back over the pool after we were done swimming . . .the type that is like heavy duty bubble wrap.
I was in the deep end and just about had the whole cover pulled over the pool when my dickhead buddies at the time thought it would be funny to pull the cover over on top of me . . . think about being under a heavy plastic cover . . . i couldn't touch bottom, and I couldn't break the suction to get an air pocket, I'd just push myself down deeper. I could see their shadows/profiles from under the water at the pools edge.
Luckily my friends dad saw what was going on, came over and pulled the cover back and reached down and yanked me up. That was the WORST/ SCARIEST feeling I've ever had . . . felt like an eternity.
I remember the Dad being so pissed he threw one of the kids in the bushes ! LOL.

gqchris

Reaction score
Shit . . . when I was a kid maybe 12-13 years old, I was helping pull one of those 'pool-covers' back over the pool after we were done swimming . . .the type that is like heavy duty bubble wrap.
I was in the deep end and just about had the whole cover pulled over the pool when my dickhead buddies at the time thought it would be funny to pull the cover over on top of me . . . think about being under a heavy plastic cover . . . i couldn't touch bottom, and I couldn't break the suction to get an air pocket, I'd just push myself down deeper. I could see their shadows/profiles from under the water at the pools edge.
Luckily my friends dad saw what was going on, came over and pulled the cover back and reached down and yanked me up. That was the WORST/ SCARIEST feeling I've ever had . . . felt like an eternity.
I remember the Dad being so pissed he threw one of the kids in the bushes ! LOL.
Holy shit that scares me even just reading that right now! Fuck that would be a scary way to go out!

instagator

Reaction score
Life was crazier without the internet, you just didn’t hear about it.

There were shootings on the water in Havasu, fights all the time, pornos being filmed, people drunk driving in boats with no consequences at all. How much of the above happens today? The place is tame compared to what it was 25+ years ago.

Today we complain that someone is saving a beach or playing music too loud.

There are probably more people out there now, sure. I’d argue there are probably the same amount of accidents now, and there are more people on the water.

I don’t think it is the rental companies responsibility to teach people how to boat safely any more than it is the responsibility of the rental car companies to teach someone how to drive the Corvette just they rented safely. Everything we do has risk, boating has risks. It was not the fault of the rental company that the group of people on board did not make good decisions that lead to a tragic outcome.
If you rent a corvette you have to have a drivers lic , That would mean you at least have the skill and the rules to drive that car....New boat rental guy, No skill to drive the boat, no rules he would no about on the water. Now add all the things that he would be responsible with a boat load of drunk clueless people that is distracting him
while trying to drive the boat. Also none of your passengers in a car can drown by a mistake not knowing how the wind can come up and blow there boat away....

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Can’t wait for the = RESPONSE!!! here. 🤐

You waiting on me, Squeaky? You know Damn well what I was referring to with Pools and Small Children. That does not matter, as usual your Need to Babble in Most all Threads multiple times.🤔

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you rent a corvette you have to have a drivers lic , That would mean you at least have the skill and the rules to drive that car....New boat rental guy, No skill to drive the boat, no rules he would no about on the water. Now add all the things that he would be responsible with a boat load of drunk clueless people that is distracting him
while trying to drive the boat. Also none of your passengers in a car can drown by a mistake not knowing how the wind can come up and blow there boat away....

A driver license is required to rent a boat in Havasu I believe. I’m certain you have to be an adult.

The boater safety course teaches you none of those things you mentioned either.

People die on the road in cars and have licenses to drive cars. You will never legislate away people dying because of ignorance or accidents.

So it sounds like you are advocating for a boating driver license, a swimming certification, and also an alcohol permit and education course before any people go on the water in any kind of boat?

We don’t need more legislation to deter tragic accidents. Tragic accidents will continue to occur.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Here's one boating-related.
This is a true story as told to me by my sisters.
I'm 51 now . . . so this was like 49 years ago-ish.
We were camping at Lake Shasta . . . we'd leave the truck/trailer at the ramp for a week at a time, only to come back for boat gas / ice.
I think we were at Arbuckle Flats up the Pit River.
My parents would put me in a crib to nap in the boat under the bimini top where it was cool and quiet.
My 'routine' was to wake-up, climb out of my crib, walk up to the bow, and jump-off into my Dads waiting arms.
. . . Well the Lake was really low that year, so our camp spot was way up the bank to where the trees were.
Everyone was sitting around camp, up the bank and in the shade having lunch.
I guess I woke up and did my 'routine' and jumped-off the bow, but no Pops to catch me !
Now my Dad used to do the 2-anchor thing so the boat wasn't rubbing the shore, and was in fairly deep water due to the steep bank.
My Sisters said, "Someone saw you and screamed, and We looked over and just saw Dad running full speed across those rocks downhill barefooted like a bolt of lightning" !!!
My Dad said that he dove straight-in and swam straight down to me . . .and because the water is murky there, all he could see was my big White Eyes bugging-out and my wispy blond hair straight out like an afro . . . that was it.
He said when he brought me back up to the surface I didn't cry one bit, but I looked at him like 'What The Fuck Dude,? Where Were You At'?!?!
So I'm pretty lucky my parents were never big drinkers, cause if someone hadn't been paying attention, my carcass would still be at the bottom of Shasta.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You waiting on me, Squeaky? You know Damn well what I was referring to with Pools and Small Children. That does not matter, as usual your Need to Babble in Most all Threads multiple times.🤔

You said there was no excuse for backyard drownings ever, and they were all due to parents not paying attention and multitasking. That isn’t ambiguous at all. I asked you to stand behind your comments, and you stood down.

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

You know I have 3 little boys and a pool. I’m like you, swim lessons before they could walk. Tragic accidents happen extremely fast. I’ve had some close calls with several sets of eyes on my boys. It just really happens that fast.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Scariest moment for me was in highscool life guarding at raging water. I was a cove guard so I got to watch the wave pool. I went under looking for someone before the pool was cleared out. (My mistake) I got stuck under a bunch of people on tubes. I panicked and literally started pinching asses so I could get someone to move and I could get up for some air

OC Mike

Reaction score
Shit . . . when I was a kid maybe 12-13 years old, I was helping pull one of those 'pool-covers' back over the pool after we were done swimming . . .the type that is like heavy d

As he should... Dumb F___s