WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA Boater Card

lantz

Reaction score
I did search here a bit, but some links are no longer available. I'll have a couple of kids who should have their CA card this summer...I'm good for a couple of more years. Are there some sites that are better than others?

Thanks

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I did search here a bit, but some links are no longer available. I'll have a couple of kids who should have their CA card this summer...I'm good for a couple of more years. Are there some sites that are better than others?

Thanks

Boat US has a free class online. It just robs you of time.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
I paid $30 and did the Boatexam.com course. Wasn’t too bad, had decent videos and was interactive.

LazyLavey

Reaction score

Lumpy

Reaction score

Thanks

california

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Thank you. Looking into that now. Have four kids that need to take it just in case.

If YOU get it done, send the certificate to your insurance company might get a discount… not sure about all companies but State Farm does [emoji6]

Edit: IF you go through Boat US it counts as a boater safety course… not sure about other programs.

traquer

Reaction score
If YOU get it done, send the certificate to your insurance company might get a discount… not sure about all companies but State Farm does [emoji6]

Edit: IF you go through Boat US it counts as a boater safety course… not sure about other programs.
Boat US is the one that counts for state farm, or any of them?

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Boat US is the one that counts for state farm, or any of them?
State Farm gives an extra discount on boat insurance for taking a safety course. Not sure about other companies or other programs as I have no experience but since Boat US was brought up I chirped in..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lantz

Reaction score
I got 2 kids signed up and in process as well as myself through Boat US. It was simple. We'll finish tomorrow. The test kid who went through the processto see what it was like while I was waiting for replies here is done. She did it through Aceboater. It cost her $30 + $10 for the card. Boat US is a way better deal, but one is done now.

Will any of us ever be checked? Probably not. There have been a lot of things we haven't been checked for in the past. That damn whistle has never been used. Even on foggy days on the strip.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I took the course with boat ed and it was like $30.at the time. You still have to take to official boaters card test when the course is complete.

However you can just send away for the test and take your chances.

Start here California Boater Card FAQ

I was able to have the state mail the exams for my kids along with the materials...FREE. I made them study, We cut out some boats so they can easily learn nav, and take the test.

We spend allot of time in the ocean and a high percentage of that time at night. I certainly wish more people would take education a little more seriously, and understand the rules of the road so to speak. Most feel this is a waste of time.

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
I did the free class. It was pretty boring but I got through it. Did it at work like 15-20 min a day and it took me a while.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got 2 kids signed up and in process as well as myself through Boat US. It was simple. We'll finish tomorrow. The test kid who went through the processto see what it was like while I was waiting for replies here is done. She did it through Aceboater. It cost her $30 + $10 for the card. Boat US is a way better deal, but one is done now.

Will any of us ever be checked? Probably not. There have been a lot of things we haven't been checked for in the past. That damn whistle has never been used. Even on foggy days on the strip.

Awesome! To your point, it is just one more thing they are going to start asking for at a “safety checkpoint”. I was going to just play the game with my AZ ID, but for $10 I just did the free class and got the card. Wife did as well in case something dumb takes place while I’m not at or in the boat.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
What’s the repercussion for not having a boaters card ? Death by firing squad ? $250k fine ? Boat impound ? Lien on all your property ? 5 years jail time ? Or all the above ?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What’s the repercussion for not having a boaters card ? Death by firing squad ? $250k fine ? Boat impound ? Lien on all your property ? 5 years jail time ? Or all the above ?

$100 first offense, $250 second offense, $500 thereafter.

If you prove you had the card the time of the offense, the fine is waived. I just leave mine in the boat with my registration.

azsunfun

Reaction score
State Farm gives an extra discount on boat insurance for taking a safety course. Not sure about other companies or other programs as I have no experience but since Boat US was brought up I chirped in..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
geico the same, slight discount, never got a card, i think was a printable you passed thing.

River Runnin

Reaction score
At the time! ... I had about 20 years boating experience and got all pissy also about having to get the card -- even tho I had years (3 I think) to get it due to age group -- So I went in an took a piss, got on-line, studied a few hours, read ALL that stuff (for a couple three days) and took the test. Was there shit I didn't know? Absolutely! So Now! 20 or so years later, do I think they are worth it? ABSOLUTELY!! if not just for the PWC section! -- Personal opinion! -- The Card and valid drivers license should be required to rent or ride a PWC. Or get ALL of the above!!

charred1

Reaction score
Just knocked it out through BoatUs Foundation.Took about 3.5hrs. Free course and $10 to state for Ca Boater card.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I don’t have a boaters card......... will my International Maritime License work? Lol
F9458739-DB76-4255-84BB-C54C4B88F2AC.jpeg

This license works worldwide. Just takes a lot of time to get........ 1600ton

Yes...... that is a Below Deck size license.

c_land

Reaction score
It’s spreading off the water now. Pension funds must be getting low, need that revenue!

1670337342915.png

At least this requires renters to take the course.