WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Postscript to the Thompson Bay tragedy

rrrr

Reaction score
A week later this is still weighing heavily on my mind, and yesterday I had a chance to perhaps make some good come of it. I hope this isn't too long to read.

You guys have heard about my fishing adventures with my grandson Aiden. I've been thinking about buying a fishing boat, but the truth is I'm just not physically able to handle it, even a 17' aluminum Tracker. Instead I put my name in the queue about a year ago for a slip at East Fork Marina on Lake Lavon. It's just 30 minutes from the house, and tucked back in a long narrow cove. The crappie fishing from the docks is awesome. Renting a slip is like having an anchored fishing boat. On Wednesday, the manager called and informed me they had a slip available. Aiden and I headed out there yesterday, paid the year's rent in advance, and started fishing. This is gonna be great.

I was standing on the dock with a jig in the water, and a group of twenty-somethings showed up and started uncovering a Yamaha jet boat. There were three guys and two girls. I said hi, and asked the driver if it was a twin engine model. He said "I'm not sure, my Dad bought it and I don't know much about it."

I thought to myself "Oh, shit, this is how people get hurt or drown."

I said "Do you guys mind if I tell you a quick story?"

"No, go ahead."

We talked about how much fun boating is. Then I told him about the family on Thompson Bay, on a rental pontoon, and enjoying Father's Day. The decision to go swimming, the wind, the boat drifting away, panic, the son struggling, the father badly injuring himself on the propeller while trying to save his son, the boy disappearing under the surface, and the screams and horror that must have followed.

They looked at me in stunned silence. I told them the boy wasn't wearing a PFD, and how his dad and another person almost drowned trying to save him because they weren't wearing one either. Explained how sudden cold water shock can cause involuntary ingestion of water, that when the boat drifts away, it's easy to become exhausted trying to reach it even if a person is a good swimmer.

I told them how I had personally witnessed a 17 year old kid drown just a few feet from a boat in eight or ten feet of water. Explained their parents would never get over the grief if something happened to one of them.

I asked them to make a commitment they would always wear a PFD when they went in the water. They said yes, they would. One of the girls was crying.

I wasn't trying to preach or look the hero. I have been really upset about that boy dying, probably, as I mentioned, because it brought back memories of my 16 year old nephew's death in 2018.

I hope they become safer boaters after talking to me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was one that could have used a little "preaching" when I was that age. I think kids may be more open to hearing knowledge share by a stranger, than that of their own parents. With age, you gain experience about life. If your words took hold in just one of their minds, it was infinitely more than I did today.

Oh, and good job on the Grandpa stuff!

Sherpa

Reaction score
Good job on the chat with the teens............ the girl crying means she understood it all, and took it to heart............ you know those kids will probably tell their parents about your chat with them...........

good boaters keeping new boaters safe.!

--Sherpa

FreeBird236

Reaction score
A week later this is still weighing heavily on my mind, and yesterday I had a chance to perhaps make some good come of it. I hope this isn't too long to read.

You guys have heard about my fishing adventures with my grandson Aiden. I've been thinking about buying a fishing boat, but the truth is I'm just not physically able to handle it, even a 17' aluminum Tracker. Instead I put my name in the queue about a year ago for a slip at East Fork Marina on Lake Lavon. It's just 30 minutes from the house, and tucked back in a long narrow cove. The crappie fishing from the docks is awesome. Renting a slip is like having an anchored fishing boat. On Wednesday, the manager called and informed me they had a slip available. Aiden and I headed out there yesterday, paid the year's rent in advance, and started fishing. This is gonna be great.

I was standing on the dock with a jig in the water, and a group of twenty-somethings showed up and started uncovering a Yamaha jet boat. There were three guys and two girls. I said hi, and asked the driver if it was a twin engine model. He said "I'm not sure, my Dad bought it and I don't know much about it."

"No, go ahead."

We talked about how much fun boating is. Then I told him about the family on Thompson Bay, on a rental pontoon, and enjoying Father's Day. The decision to go swimming, the wind, the boat drifting away, panic, the son struggling, the father badly injuring himself on the propeller while trying to save his son, the boy disappearing under the surface, and the screams and horror that must have followed.

They looked at me in stunned silence. I told them the boy wasn't wearing a PFD, and how his dad and another person almost drowned trying to save him because they weren't wearing one either. Explained how sudden cold water shock can cause involuntary ingestion of water, that when the boat drifts away, it's easy to become exhausted trying to reach it even if a person is a good swimmer.

I told them how I had personally witnessed a 17 year old kid drown just a few feet from a boat in eight or ten feet of water. Explained their parents would never get over the grief if something happened to one of them.

I asked them to make a commitment they would always wear a PFD when they went in the water. They said yes, they would. One of the girls was crying.

I wasn't trying to preach or look the hero. I have been really upset about that boy dying, probably, as I mentioned, because it brought back memories of my 16 year old nephew's death in 2018.

You're a good man rrrr.👍

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Good job on the chat with the teens............ the girl crying means she understood it all, and took it to heart............ you know those kids will probably tell their parents about your chat with them...........

good boaters keeping new boaters safe.!

--Sherpa
rrrr's story will last their lifetime.....and perhaps even be retold by them some day.

rsvrdogs

Reaction score
That story will stay with them for many years. The impression will last a lifetime. I’m sure the story will be told many times by all five. The lives potential saved will be countless. Thank you for taking the time the parents should have. It takes a village.

DLC

Reaction score
Sharing and Caring!

as a side note just generally thinking, I don’t think today’s kids are as physically fit as kids from before the computer popped up, we spent almost everyday outside running, playing, riding bikes being active - you dont see kids outside playing, exercising these days.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Cool story! Sounds like they took it to heart. Even if they shrugged it off a little later I'm sure it crossed their mind a few times that day. This situation is similar to kids driving out of your driveway right after they get their drivers license and you knowing they don't have a clue what you know based on decades of experience and mistakes of your your own. If only you could bottle up what the very broad meaning of "head on a swivel" is and have all newbies drink it.

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the positive comments. In the years I've been on RDP, my position on PFDs and "cooling off" in the water has been constant. Hell, in the DFW area lakes five or more people drown every year, and the story is always the same. A fit young person jumps in the water, and they don't resurface.

Most people are cooperative about my request to wear or diaper a PFD. It's not that much trouble. When I explain the involuntary ingestion of water from cold shock cannot be resisted, some doubt the story. But a quick Google search reveals the truth.

Those of you running the show, the boat owners, must take this responsibility seriously. No one wants to be the wet blanket on a fun outing, but it's too important to let it slide. Think of the unspeakable horror that a drowning death will imprint on your life. It will affect many people forever.

Remember that 16 year old, not yet a man, but not a child. He had hopes and dreams. He had many things to learn, to experience. His parents are good people.

All of that is gone. Will his death tear the family apart? It is a common occurrence. His parents will carry that grief the rest of their lives, and the simple act of donning a PFD would have prevented it.

Thanks again for considering the importance of this. It's an ugly subject, but we must talk about it.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
If people want to change the culture they need to lead from example . If parents dont where life jackets there kids are not going to either as soon as there legally not required . Just like the lanyard conversation , it takes the adults who have been doing this for a lifetime to start putting them on and it will change the next generation .

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Life jackets, noodles, or some type of flotation devise has been a requirement of mine for about the last 5 years. Additionally whenever I personally get in the water to float around, I have a rope tied to my diaper that’s tied to the boat as an extra layer of insurance in the event of the wind picking up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

"No, go ahead."

Well done 👍

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

"No, go ahead."

I totally get where you are coming from!

Just last night we had some "floaters" round the corner of where we hang out right at dusk. Little girl(probably 14yrs old) yelling for help. We told them just to keep floating and get to where our boats are parked. The 2 guys(dad and his boyfriend) are so drunk they cant even stand up. I tell the 2 kids(her and her brother probably 13yo) that I would help them deflate their floaties and get them back to the dock since its was probably a 2-3hr float left for them to get back. The dad started getting pissy with me even though he was asking for help! My response(at this point I was getting pissed) was "no worries you and you buddy/boyfriend can stat, but we are taking your kids to the dock"! They quickly changed their attitude as we are just trying to help! Not to mention the badass pitbull that was whining so bad and shaking! I got the dog off their raft and took her to shore, she had to piss and shit so bad and was so scared that she was instantly my best friend when I brought her to shore!. Needless to say i aired down their floaties and loaded them in the boat! Had to carry the 2 guys to get them in the boat. Drug his little pontoon fishing thing behind the boat and got them back to the dock. Had the daughter use mine then my friends wife's phone to call for someone to pick them up(they couldn't find either one of their phones). I was loading the boat and finishing tying down as I her this guy yelling at my buddies wife that "she stole his phone, and he wanted it back! Well that didnt go over well with me and instantly I was over there ready to grind this dude's face in the hot asphalt and quickly loosing my shit. My ol lady came up and pulled me away from him as his buddy/boyfriend came over and started talking shit. I about fucking lost it. I telling them that I just fukn save his kids life and am doing nothing but try and help them out. That's about the time my ol lady pulls me away. The daughter and son come up to tell us "thank you and how much the appreciated us!" The dog came up at the same time and started rubbing my leg!

All said and done the kids and the dog were safe and had someone on the way to get them, which I was thankful for. The 2 piece of she guys could have stayed out there as far as i care!! Not to mention my boat is full of sand cause they were to drunk to rinse their feet and clothes off🤬🤬

But at the end of the day, like I said, the kids and dog were safe and that's all that mattered to us!!

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Life jackets, noodles, or some type of flotation devise has been a requirement of mine for about the last 5 years. Additionally whenever I personally get in the water to float around, I have a rope tied to my diaper that’s tied to the boat as an extra layer of insurance in the event of the wind picking up.

I like the rope idea, I have always only just dangled my feet in the water from the swimstep if I am the boat driver for the day. May have to adopt the rope.

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Just last night we had some "floaters" round the corner of where we hang out right at dusk. Little girl(probably 14yrs old) yelling for help. We told them just to keep floating and get to where our boats are parked. The 2 guys(dad and his boyfriend) are so drunk they cant even stand up. I tell the 2 kids(her and her brother probably 13yo) that I would help them deflate their floaties and get them back to the dock since its was probably a 2-3hr float left for them to get back. The dad started getting pissy with me even though he was asking for help! My response(at this point I was getting pissed) was "no worries you and you buddy/boyfriend can stat, but we are taking your kids to the dock"! They quickly changed their attitude as we are just trying to help! Not to mention the badass pitbull that was whining so bad and shaking! I got the dog off their raft and took her to shore, she had to piss and shit so bad and was so scared that she was instantly my best friend when I brought her to shore!. Needless to say i aired down their floaties and loaded them in the boat! Had to carry the 2 guys to get them in the boat. Drug his little pontoon fishing thing behind the boat and got them back to the dock. Had the daughter use mine then my friends wife's phone to call for someone to pick them up(they couldn't find either one of their phones). I was loading the boat and finishing tying down as I her this guy yelling at my buddies wife that "she stole his phone, and he wanted it back! Well that didnt go over well with me and instantly I was over there ready to grind this dude's face in the hot asphalt and quickly loosing my shit. My ol lady came up and pulled me away from him as his buddy/boyfriend came over and started talking shit. I about fucking lost it. I telling them that I just fukn save his kids life and am doing nothing but try and help them out. That's about the time my ol lady pulls me away. The daughter and son come up to tell us "thank you and how much the appreciated us!" The dog came up at the same time and started rubbing my leg!

All said and done the kids and the dog were safe and had someone on the way to get them, which I was thankful for. The 2 piece of she guys could have stayed out there as far as i care!! Not to mention my boat is full of sand cause they were to drunk to rinse their feet and clothes off🤬🤬

But at the end of the day, like I said, the kids and dog were safe and that's all that mattered to us!!
Good deal on the kids and the dog...
You're a better man than I am. I may have looked to see if the kids were watching, before a drunk "passed out".

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Good deal on the kids and the dog...
You're a better man than I am. I may have looked to see if the kids were watching, before a drunk "passed out".

He was less then 10 seconds from laying on the hot pavement when the wife came and brought me back to reality! As soon as she said "not in front of the kids", against my better judgment, I looked at his kids and had to turn and walk away! Even the wife said as we walked away "I know that was hard for you to just walk away, as I seen your eyes, and glad you did, they didnt need to see that, they were disgusted with their dad as it was!"

The kids made it home, I wanted to steal the dog, but all in all I think the correct decision was made, and everyone made it home safe!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
He was less then 10 seconds from laying on the hot pavement when the wife came and brought me back to reality! As soon as she said "not in front of the kids", against my better judgment, I looked at his kids and had to turn and walk away! Even the wife said as we walked away "I know that was hard for you to just walk away, as I seen your eyes, and glad you did, they didnt need to see that, they were disgusted with their dad as it was!"

The kids made it home, I wanted to steal the dog, but all in all I think the correct decision was made, and everyone made it home safe!!
I understand completely. Had an issue in the pits a few years back that could have been real ugly. Saw my own son out of the corner of my eye...My kids don't need to know who or what I was. At 40, that was the first time I ever "let it go". Maybe I'm growing up, maybe just growing old. Maybe it comes down to trying to be a better person for the sake of tomorrow...my kids or someone else's.

707dog

Reaction score

right on... people taking care of people and dog 🤟 your wife must know you very well kuddos to her too. my wife is very in tune with me and knows when someones push me into hulk smash time.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score

I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I would have been on the phone with 911. Those kids lives were in danger, and those fucktards needed to be taken down. A car crash two blocks from the ramp could have killed them too if they hadn't found a ride.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I would have been on the phone with 911. Those kids lives were in danger, and those fucktards needed to be taken down. A car crash two blocks from the ramp could have killed them too if they hadn't found a ride.

I agree whole heartedly. The only reason I didnt(or any others that were with me) is because they were in good hands with me getting back to the dock and I knew the person that showed up to pick them up was sober! I felt bad enough for what the kids had to deal with up to the point they came to us. They didnt need anymore drama. And I guarantee after the conversation I had with the idiot dad, I doubt it will happen again, at least with his kids present!

rrrr

Reaction score
I'll defer to the man on the scene.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Good for you all watching out for others. Possibly may have been a dipshit at some point in life. Helped other and have been helped. Wasn't raised a boater but you learn. (Scout family).

Englewood

Reaction score
My wife and I agreed after this accident, no more jumping off boat to cool off without jacket or noodle go forward.
We’ve been doing that for the past few years. I kept hearing about healthy middle-aged men jumping in and not coming back up. It must be the cold water shock? Kids hate it but oh well.