WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Me on GT Performance Engines

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed, I'm considering buying a boat with twin GT Performance 1200s in it. Dart 572 blocks with Whipple superchargers.

Some folks seem to like GT, some folks seem to say stay away from them. What's the deal? A Chevy vs Ford type of debate? Has anybody had significant problems with a GT assembly...?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Very good friend, and member on here, has had several of their motors in various boats and swears by GT

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Anytime you are talking about performance engine builders you are going to come across people who have had problems and those who have not. No performance engine builder is perfect, sometimes things just go wrong. Then you have the folks with unrealistic expectations like getting a super charged 540 and expecting it to last as many hours as the 502 MPI they had.

GT builds a good engine, have there been some problems? Yes, but I believe there are far more of their engines out there that have run trouble free than those that have had issues.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Take a tour of their facilities and decide for yourself...

I was super impressed with their business. I've have two friends that had their boats worked on there. No problems with the results.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Anytime you are talking about performance engine builders you are going to come across people who have had problems and those who have not. No performance engine builder is perfect, sometimes things just go wrong. Then you have the folks with unrealistic expectations like getting a super charged 540 and expecting it to last as many hours as the 502 MPI they had.

GT builds a good engine, have there been some problems? Yes, but I believe there are far more of their engines out there that have run trouble free than those that have had issues.
^^^^THIS^^^^

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Many years ago, back in the 90's I was the first one Gary had building engines when his business got too busy for him to do all the engine building and manage the rest of the business, buying parts, instructing employees, answering the phone, etc. One year 6 of the top 10 finishers in the Catalina Ski Race all had GT built engines. I was working part time, mostly after hours since I owned my own unrelated business at the time. I guess 7 or so years ago we ran a turbo engine I built on the GT dyno. I still consider Gary to be a friend, but haven't been in his shop since I moved out here to Parker 6+ years ago.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I will plan on repowering my boat in two years or so and would definitely look at GT.

From experience here rank the following in price for say 700 to 800 HP

Pfaff
GT
TCM

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Friend has 2 quad rotor 1250 HP in his Top Gun runs great!

Reactions: DWC

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Great guy, i have recommended him to lot of people, but as said before things happen and one friend is super unhappy, so mad he won't even talk to me about it,
So as said before do your research, every shop has issues,

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I can’t really speak of GT’s engines.

I can say I’ve worked with GT on a few builds with a couple of clients that hired GT to build them something unique.

I look forward to working with GT on the next one👍

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I had Gary at GT build many motors for me as well do a lot of rigging. Always enjoyed working with Gary and his team, I have nothing but good things to say!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I personally am not a fan.. I have always told people to steer clear of that shop. The few that didn’t listen, found out sooner than later.

with regard to the boat your buying.. you will be fine.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I personally am not a fan.. I have always told people to steer clear of that shop. The few that didn’t listen, found out sooner than later.

with regard to the boat your buying.. you will be fine.
Why? Every shop is bound to have something. Could be their issue, a part issue, or the wing nut that owns the boat.

Or is it Because they aren't a site supporter?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Why? Every shop is bound to have something. Could be their issue, a part issue, or the wing nut that owns the boat.

Site supporter comment may be a low blow. RD has been banging the GT drum for a while.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
FYI: teague engines are 565ci and less. No 4.5 cranks because of windage and piston speed. No bigger than 4.375. Bore no bigger than 4.53 because of detonation. Merc racing...557 or less (4.5 bore)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Site supporter comment may be a low blow. RD has been banging the GT drum for a while.

I'm just being a smart ass.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Well it would start with them ripping one of my friends off.. then in another instance derigging another guys boat (without his knowledge) and taking a mold off his deck.. then ya got the time period where they couldn’t get a motor off a dyno without puking oil out the breathers.. then I got another buddy that purchased a double throw down gt program that of the eight times it went out it came back on the tow rope eight times.. we could talk about gt standing behind their work if that didn’t end up in a lawsuit.. I can go on..

They built some pretty bad ass hardware over the years. sucks because it used to be hands down the place to go to back in the day.

but your right it’s because he doesn’t advertise here.. lol.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Well it would start with them ripping one of my friends off.. then in another instance derigging another guys boat (without his knowledge) and taking a mold off his deck.. then ya got the time period where they couldn’t get a motor off a dyno without puking oil out the breathers.. then I got another buddy that purchased a double throw down gt program that of the eight times it went out it came back on the tow rope eight times.. we could talk about gt standing behind their work if that didn’t end up in a lawsuit.. I can go on..

They built some pretty bad ass hardware over the years. sucks because it used to be hands down the place to go to back in the day.

but your right it’s because he doesn’t advertise here.. lol.
First off that was a smart ass comment. Meant to be a joke. My experience with Gary and others I know has been positive, and nowhere near the experience you or your friends have encountered.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
First off that was a smart ass comment. Meant to be a joke. My experience with Gary and others I know has been positive, and nowhere near the experience you or your friends have encountered.

Happy to hear you had a good experience.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As far as the boat in question it has enough hours on it now that I think it will be fine.. Which is the point of the thread.. lol

Only brand that I’d rather buy with more hours than less because it’s been proven. 🤪

Who knows though maybe things have changed over the past 6 years or so..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It is definitely shitty for anyone to have a bad experience with any shop.

Indeed it does.. and as has been said in other threads you can’t find an engine shop where someone hasn’t had a bad experience..

I just happened to know of multiples.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
For what its worth I think that some of the issues that may have been experienced at GT is because Gary will take on truly custom/one off builds in both engines and rigging. That is not easy and carries with it risks. Not everyone wants a proven "package" and some want something unique and when one does want something original things can go wrong.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For what its worth I think that some of the issues that may have been experienced at GT is because Gary will take on truly custom/one off builds in both engines and rigging. That is not easy and carries with it risks. Not everyone wants a proven "package" and some want something unique and when one does want something original things can go wrong.

very true. One of the things I admire about them is they are willing to do custom work.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My buddy that had a GT engine bought a 25 Daytona bare and took it to GT to have it rigged and dressed with the 540. It was badass.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score

🤣🤣
Screenshot_20210629-210818_Chrome.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
I don't know anything about this shop, but I know that statement is true. Custom creates so many headaches in my industry but it's worth it.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
I can’t say anything about their engines because let’s be honest I can’t afford one. That being said my boss can and GT is one of his go too’s. Gary is a quiet guy with tons of knowledge and years of experience. He’s always there to answer any stupid questions I have or even bail my boss out with a hard to find part. To me his rigging is over the top sano, to the point I’d consider him among one of the best. I don’t expect him to get any love from some on here as he doesn’t partake in any circle jerk popularity contest and to me that’s what I like about him. Let’s face it you can’t make everyone happy but he’s done enough people right to be as busy as he is. GT has my approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk