WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Get me out of my solar lease

socal0487

Reaction score
Would like to know why so many are against the PPA? I get that it is probably a PITA when selling the home but-

I have a 20 year fixed price of $0.20 per kWh and have to buy everything it produces, currently it produces about 2/3 of my requirement. SCE charges $0.23, $0.59 & $0.74 respectively for tier 1, 2 & 3. I am never above tier one with the extra power needed from SCE, without this I would be in tier 3. I estimate I save about $1,200-$1,400 a year by having this. Once the 20 years is up, I can have them take it off at their expense. Original agreement was with Solar City which is now Tesla. I signed the contract in 2014 and cannot see any downside to this?

Am I missing something or are there other shady PPA agreements out there?

Here’s why I was against a PPA. If you don’t plan on selling it may work for you but if you sell it becomes a liability If not in a sellers market. 2016 I was looking to buy a home. Found one I liked had a PPA with Vivint. Knew nothing about solar. The research I did, Vivint was not a good company. System was only a year old into the 20 year contract. 8.5kw system and 0.15 per KW. At the time I was single gonna live in the house by myself. Has a pool, AC but Im gone 10-15 days a month for work. No way I was going to use all energy produced. would have been paying for ALL energy produced even though I wouldn’t even be using it. I dragged my feet on contingencies knowing sellers couldn’t back out and go through another escrow. They realized they were conned into the system by Vivint and were stuck. We agreed to purchase the system outright. $4 dollar a kw x 8.5 kw system. Roughly 34k buyout price. Ridiculously high. We agreed to 20k for the solar but I put it in as a reduction in purchase price which helped lower my property taxes, mortgage etc compounding over time. Essentially I paid 14k for a 1 year old system. Fast forward to today. I just settled my 12 month settlement with Edison and they paid me 125 dollars for the year. I was a net user at -3000kw on the year. Been happy with the system. Had to replace a few microinverters, but other than that, I feel like i got the upper hand on this one

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I spoke to the OP, kinda a crap situation, The company he's dealing with is a shell of another firm I'm familiar with..on its face it should be something they can come to a solution on..but ill wait to see his docs before putting the cart before the horse.

I've said it a lot on here. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER sign a solar lease or PPA...with very few exceptions. I hate these things, buy it outright or finance with a no fee bank...the leases/ppa's get messy fast.
How fucked am I with the lease we were forced into with sale of our new house. Seems like a horrible deal to me. It was 21k to buy outright but we don't have the extra cash at the moment

Screenshot_20210718-200436_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210718-200551_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210718-200624_Drive.jpg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
How fucked am I with the lease we were forced into with sale of our new house. Seems like a horrible deal to me. It was 21k to buy outright but we don't have the extra cash at the moment

View attachment 1027042 View attachment 1027043 View attachment 1027044
I've gotta respond to a few posts/pm's...its been a hectic weekend with the baby getting sick. Ill shoot you a pm in the next couple of days.

Basic of looking at is there is an escalator, and the buyout is high...but its Sunpower and they are on the high end with equipment quality.

C-2

Reaction score
Anymore they go through a 3 hour boiler plate course in what their company wants them to know (whether is true or not), and are sent straight out to the streets. Those guys are very high turnover...

Not only that, but in LA there is an Israeli "group" who trains their salesman; you only leave the house if you have a signed contract in hand, or the police are called.

These knuckleheads think they are still in the Israeli army and they can strong-arm anybody into a contract.

I saw a video of 2 salesman tag teaming a 95-year old lady who was legally blind. They grabbed her checkbook and wrote themselves a check, all the while with the old lady's caretaker screaming at them to get the f* out of the house thru one of those nanny cam systems. They didn't care. Later, they sent the old lady to collections when she stopped payment on the check!