WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hairbrained jacuzzi idea

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
So the wife and I are sitting in the jacuzzi and "we" are talking about getting my fat ass in shape. She likes the idea of a rowing machine as it's something that she would use too. The new stuff is all internet connected and makes it look like your rowing on water. For me the actual water on the hull is the best sound/feeling in the world.

I'd be down to get an actual scull and drop it in Newport harbor. She says your not gonna get down there and back before she goes to work ect.. and she's probably right. So I'm looking at my pool.

What if I got a scull with short oars (scull oars are 9.5' long so that's not gonna work) and hooked a bungee tow strap to the back of it. I row and get pulled back each time. I'm on the water still but I'm also getting the workout.

Should I spend 2k on the latest internet connected rowing machine or get an actual boat?

I did a Google search to see if it's a thing and it's not so probably a bad idea...

Reactions: DWC

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
That sounds like something I would do for a week before my lazy self gave that shit up. You might as well run around the block with an anchor tied to your belt loop.

I'd start with cutting bread from the diet.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So the wife and I are sitting in the jacuzzi and "we" are talking about getting my fat ass in shape. She likes the idea of a rowing machine as it's something that she would use too. The new stuff is all internet connected and makes it look like your rowing on water. For me the actual water on the hull is the best sound/feeling in the world.

I'd be down to get an actual scull and drop it in Newport harbor. She says your not gonna get down there and back before she goes to work ect.. and she's probably right. So I'm looking at my pool.

What if I got a scull with short oars (scull oars are 9.5' long so that's not gonna work) and hooked a bungee tow strap to the back of it. I row and get pulled back each time. I'm on the water still but I'm also getting the workout.

Should I spend 2k on the latest internet connected rowing machine or get an actual boat?

I did a Google search to see if it's a thing and it's not so probably a bad idea...

I got a rowing machine about 6 month ago and it kicks my ass.

I dont use the internet connected parts, just the simulated circle times.

If there's one machine that works more muscle groups I dont know what it is.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I got a rowing machine about 6 month ago and it kicks my ass.

I dint use the internet connected parts just the simulated circle times.

If there's one machine that works more muscle groups I dont know what it is.

Which one did you get?

grumpy88

Reaction score
My friend bought one of those row boats and i bet the biggest work out he gets is dragging it around to and from the lake !

caribbean20

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that could come up with hair brained ideas like this. Love it. Would think the big challenge would be correct tension on those bungees to properly calibrate the motion.

You have to do it now, you’ve put it out there in the universe. Please prove it doesn’t work before I go out and make the investment and give it a crack.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Try just walking every day for six weeks. If you can just commit to that, then you will know if you are serious about getting in shape or not, and it's free.

No one needs an expensive towel rack, reminding them they can't stick with it.

Buy a used one, and if you use it regularly, then upgrade.

1tonfun

Reaction score
Try the walking like Mandelon said, my wife and I walk 2 miles every night and have been doing it for 10+ years. We added an eliptical machine about 5 years ago to the work out and do a mile on that after the 2 mile walk. Some weeks we switch from walking to riding the bikes 3-5 miles a night around the neighborhood. Our neighborhood has on outer loop that is one mile so we never had to leave the hood. Waiting on the pool to get finished then swimming so we can jump in and cool off.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Try just walking every day for six weeks. If you can just commit to that, then you will know if you are serious about getting in shape or not, and it's free.

No one needs an expensive towel rack, reminding them they can't stick with it.

Buy a used one, and if you use it regularly, then upgrade.

Sounds like the elliptical my wife had to have...

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Start small....
When was the last time you skipped rope???
F.ing killer workout..

I actually have a weighted rope that I have been tearing the house apart to find from my boxing days. trying to find something that isn't as hard on the knees.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Over engineering this. Lol

if you are serious its diet and movement. You dont need props ;)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I actually have a weighted rope that I have been tearing the house apart to find from my boxing days. trying to find something that isn't as hard on the knees.

boxing days….well then take a page out of the Rocky movies for training. ;)

Elway

Reaction score
If you are in the Newport area then join the Newport Aquatic Center. No need to buy a boat, they are always looking for people to round out a 4x/8x skull, and they row every morning. Show up and row...and they also have all kinds of singles/SUPs/kayaks if you just want to go alone.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sounds like a hairbrained idea😄
Eat right and start with some walking.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t think I’d use a bunny Chris because you will rebound back.. maybe just a rope?

that said I have the hydro.. been lazy lately but starting again when I get home

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I actually did this with my paddle board when they closed the lake during covid. I experimented with a bunch of stuff and bungees did not work out that well a good old fashion rope ended up working the best. This was with the bungee and it was a little squirly.