WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Adultery Rumors

endobear

Reaction score
Wife was at a work dinner last night and was speaking with a vendor she's been working with on and off for 16 years. It came up how happy he was that she was working with them again. It came up that she thought his group didn't like her. He then proceeded to tell her that they had all thought she was sleeping with her boss (district manager for a large bank) 15 years ago.
Wife was floored and this dude was back peddling like crazy. He called out the lady who told him right at dinner. My wife has known this lady for 16 years and as of 4 years ago is her direct report and very close friend. Or so she thought.

Wife's super embarrassed, hurt and livid.
It's been a tough 16 years with the bank and she's been passed up for numerous promotions, has dealt with many bitchy women coworkers and feels this rumor tainted her career .

She's ready to quit . Almost jumped on a plane last night. I told her to stick out the trip and see what her boss has to say for herself.
Does she quit? Ask for a transfer? Or just accept her bosses apology and accept it was something that happened over a decade ago and move on.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Wife was at a work dinner last night and was speaking with a vendor she's been working with on and off for 16 years. It came up how happy he was that she was working with them again. It came up that she thought his group didn't like her. He then proceeded to tell her that they had all thought she was sleeping with her boss (district manager for a large bank) 15 years ago.
Wife was floored and this dude was back peddling like crazy. He called out the lady who told him right at dinner. My wife has known this lady for 16 years and as of 4 years ago is her direct report and very close friend. Or so she thought.

Wife's super embarrassed, hurt and livid.
It's been a tough 16 years with the bank and she's been passed up for numerous promotions, has dealt with many bitchy women coworkers and feels this rumor tainted her career .

She's ready to quit . Almost jumped on a plane last night. I told her to stick out the trip and see what her boss has to say for herself.
Does she quit? Ask for a transfer? Or just accept her bosses apology and accept it was something that happened over a decade ago and move on.
Might not hurt to talk to an attorney. I know it sucks to think that way and probably not a first choice, but that woman ruined a lot of chances for promotion and raises.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Damn, my wife would have turned that dinner party into Springer episode...

I don't know how real jobs are, and I consider banking a real job. I know she's pissed. It may require some thought, but she may be able to use it to her advantage. If nothing else, make people super uncomfortable at the next meeting.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Might not hurt to talk to an attorney. I know it sucks to think that way and probably not a first choice, but that woman ruined a lot of chances for promotion and raises.

Ya I would definitely figure out my options before quiting. Quiting is just going to hurt your wife short term and might mess up any actions she might have against them if done incorrectly. You have all the cards right now so I would find out the best way to play them if there is a best way.

endobear

Reaction score
I don't want her to quit. These last 4 years with this new boss and position has been great. She's been truly happy with her job. Bonuses and raises she has never had before. One of the things that really pissed her off is that her friend/boss had never mentioned it and has always thought the rumors were true. Tried telling her she should be glad her new boss is so happy despite thinking she was a dishonest whore.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Women are absolutely terrible to each other in the business world... well, in general. It's some belief in the scarcity of clients/customers/business/promotions type behavior. If she does well, then I can't do well.

Then the worst of them get on their soapbox and preach how the men are holding them down.

Really? I just heard you calling Kathy a bitch and a bad mom in the office lounge 15 minutes ago.

Attorney, HR, approach the current boss... all of those sound better than quitting right away.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Quit? NFW.

Unless she has another job that pays the same lined up quitting just hurts her/ you and lets them off any hook.

Document meticulously how this conversation went and pay an HR attorney a basic 1 hour fee to discuss.

Im not sure if you have anything actionable.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
If her career has truly been harmed by this then she should be compensated. First step is to get HR involved and get it on the record. See how the company is willing to make it right. After that if company doesn't do something. Then it may very well be time to seek legal counsel. I'm not one that recommends suing everyone for everything but like you said, this may well have had an impact on her career.

endobear

Reaction score
HR is a joke at her work. She has witnessed 1st hand a few people get pushed out or transferred to a department that gets eliminated directly after someone makes a legit HR complaint. If she goes to HR we will be talking to an attorney directly afterwards, I'm sure.
I say let her new boss eat crow and make things as right as she can. Let everyone in their group know it was a bullshit rumor and how bad she feels and let them make things better.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I wish that shit would happen to me.

If all this is substantiated to HR we're talking over a decade of unfair treatment and not a single advancement pass over can be dismissed from the specter of this rumor.

By the time the smoke clears she may not want to work there even if she can. They’ll have to talk to everybody.

So...either she keeps it close and uses it to leverage the boss lady just short of blackmail, lol
Or she blows the whistle and detonates a huge mushroom cloud.
Either way...she wins!

Backlash

Reaction score
I would recommend she NOT quit her job, and do what she can to stick it out. Reporting it to HR probably won't do much as this seems to be a "He said, she said" situation. Yeah, there are a lot of loose ends that would have to be tied up, and her company may or may not want to go down that road due to costs. It might be a lot of work for very little, if any, reward.

Reactions: DWC

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Women working together always seem to have issues.

My wife once worked for an all-female medical supply company.

It was toxic.
She hated every day she worked there.

She swore she would never, ever again work for an all-female company…and doesn’t rest like to work for female bosses, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Devils advocate....

How do you know she wasn’t banging the boss?
No offense but after leaving my previous employer and finding out who was banging who was a shocker. Not to mention other play to pay type schemes.

hallett21

Reaction score
[emoji897] [emoji897] [emoji897] [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Devils advocate....

No offense but after leaving my previous employer and finding out who was banging who was a shocker. Not to mention other play to pay type schemes.

I would venture to say that if she was actually doing it, she wouldn't go home and tell her husband that there was a rumor about it

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Devils advocate....

I wasn’t gonna say it but since you did...

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well this thread just got more interesting.
After finding out about the happily married people at my old work who were banging co workers.

one of which tried to flip the script by telling his wife you won’t believe why they are firing me. They think I slept with so and so.
Turns out he was but he tried to get in front of rumor mill by telling on himself.
Nothing is impossible.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
After finding out about the happily married people at my old work who were banging co workers.

one of which tried to flip the script by telling his wife you won’t believe why they are firing me. They think I slept with so and so.
Turns out he was but he tried to get in front of rumor mill by telling on himself.
Nothing is impossible.

Nothing is impossible, but I’m sure he appreciates the talk of infidelity in his marriage while seeking advice.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I saw what you just deleted😉 just lock the thread right now lol
So did I lol. Tried to quote it.

Figured I shouldn’t fan the impending flames.
C0CAAF12-454F-4538-BEA2-2A83A7427DC8.gif

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You’re now playing poker. Poker face. Take a couple afternoons off. Then happy face.
The person yelling and threatening never does anything. The best pull is never let on what you’re doing.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I don’t have anything to add except that I know firsthand crappy HR departments and an uncomfortable working situation sux. I hope for the best outcome for you wife.

River Runnin

Reaction score
🤔 ...... This isn't the Postal service is it??

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
I would recommend she NOT quit her job, and do what she can to stick it out. Reporting it to HR probably won't do much as this seems to be a "He said, she said" situation. Yeah, there are a lot of loose ends that would have to be tied up, and her company may or may not want to go down that road due to costs. It might be a lot of work for very little, if any, reward.
Best advice IMO. Personally, I’d start looking for another place to work. It’s easier to find a job when you have one. The idea of getting even with a lawsuit is pretty appealing but unless you can prove it cost job opportunities or there was a quid pro quo, i doubt the payoff would be worth it.

TCHB

Reaction score
Think out her options. Reacting is never the right move.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
think it through . . . . then think it through . . . . take some time and re-think it through . . . . then take more time, cool down and re-think it through again . . . only talk to people about it w/ their heads screwed on straight . . . DO NOT tell friends, etc. . . . . my last gal had a major fuck-up go down w/ a national publicly traded company . . . . . . try to separate the 'personal' feelings and look CLOSELY at the facts . . . . TRUST ME.