WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jet crash in Tahoe

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I saw that on our news here this morning. Said they were trying to land at Truckee Tahoe. Witness said he heard it and didnt sound right then the plane turned sideways before it hit. RIP to all on board

SoCalDave

Reaction score
RIP to all involved, what a terrible way to go.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Just terrible. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've never flown there...really haven't flown much. I remember Pops flew up there for some big union meeting though. If it was the same airport, it scared him to death. He had said you drop down into a valley and hit the runway. Pops wasn't big on flying anyway, but the next couple years at that same event he chose to drive.

Sad deal, probably just people going 9n vacation :(

SnoC653

Reaction score
Sounds like a low speed stall. RIP to the people on board.

gqchris

Reaction score
Guess I'm stoopid too🤣
Ill take a total non-pilot guess from playing alot of flight sims, alot of work navigating in with the smoke, and tricky runway etc, and all pilots say FLY the plane first and foremost, so with all that happening, came in too slow, not enough airspeed, busy navigating and the plane ran out of lift and tucked a wing? Did I get somewhat close, pilots?

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Ill take a total non-pilot guess from playing alot of flight sims, alot of work navigating in with the smoke, and tricky runway etc, and all pilots say FLY the plane first and foremost, so with all that happening, came in too slow, not enough airspeed, busy navigating and the plane ran out of lift and tucked a wing? Did I get somewhat close pilots?
Sounds good 👍

Cobalt232

Reaction score
A circling approach isn't technically an 'approach' but the visual portion of an instrument approach to a different runway than the instrument approach was lined up for. A circling approach will also have higher minimums as the pilot must keep the runway in sight for the entire maneuver. Typically a circling approach will be used when winds, obstacles or single-engine go-around procedures, etc. come into play. Some airlines do not allow circling approaches.

The little jog at the end was the circling approach. The big circle was to lose altitude.
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.18.03 PM.png

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ill take a total non-pilot guess from playing alot of flight sims, alot of work navigating in with the smoke, and tricky runway etc, and all pilots say FLY the plane first and foremost, so with all that happening, came in too slow, not enough airspeed, busy navigating and the plane ran out of lift and tucked a wing? Did I get somewhat close, pilots?

Yep, turn stall on base, for non flyers stall speed increases in a turn, this means you need to keep the airspeed up to prevent a stall in a turn, several physics components come together to cause this.

3 parts to a landing approaching: #1 Downwind: flight parallel to runway headed the opposite direction you are going to land, #2 Base: 90 degress to runway out beyond the end of the runway at your glide slope altitude. #3 Final: Lined up with the runway and coming down for your landing.

Appears to have stalled the plan within that base turn, either downwind to base, or base to final. (In gliders we were given strict discipline to make two distinct 90 degree turns, Downwind to base, then base to final) It seems many powered planes, especially in controlled airports, make more of a single long sweeping 180 for their base turn instead of 2 discrete 90s. (edit: or some abbreviation of this as many times they may not even have a downwind leg as the ATC will guide them in)

kurtis500

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
A jet crashed on approach to Tahoe/Truckee airport yesterday. This ring camera caught the sound of it. You can actually see the reflection of the jet in the Jeep windshield. Sound up.

Sounds indicate the aircraft struck trees, the engines were throttled up, and then it crashed.

The aircraft was on a GPS circling approach to Runway 11, a manuever that first aligns with another runway, then under visual conditions it turns and lands on a different runway.

It appears the aircraft got too low while performing the circling aspect, struck trees, and went down.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So, for us non-winged creatures, for whatever reason, the jet slowed to a point where the wings were not generating enough lift to overcome gravity. Sound about right?

Note to self: Turbines can't be lugged.

Im not a pilot either.
But wings only lift if level. A slow turn and any plane will fall if too slow and/or too banked.

Sounds like it was laid over pretty good for it to dip the top wing.

rrrr

Reaction score
Im not a pilot either.
But wings only lift if level. A slow turn and any plane will fall if too slow and/or too banked.

No. Wings generate lift in all.aspects of flight, as long as the angle of attack and airspeed are within parameters.

As a plane banks, the stall speed increases.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
FlightAware_TRK_IAP_all-1.jpg
FlightAware_TRK_IAP_all-2.jpg
Here are the approach plates. Check out the mountain in the way of a missed to 11.

gqchris

Reaction score
So, for us non-winged creatures, for whatever reason, the jet slowed to a point where the wings were not generating enough lift to overcome gravity. Sound about right?

Note to self: Turbines can't be lugged.

I do it all the time when I fly a Citation Jet in Flight Sim 2020. Last week i flew from Long Beach to Vegas. Started my 90 degree turn and came up too low, tried to throttle up and it was too late. Shit happens fast when I fly those jets. So easy in the smaller planes. I swear the sim is pretty damn realistic!

IMG_3761.jpg

96scarab

Reaction score
I hear smoke was a factor as well. Sad deal .. It's erie at the 1:40 mark when he transmits "looking forward to seeing you guys" and he never made it...