WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Asbestos surprise.........what say ye

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Got the wide idea to start tearing up my wood floors today. Once underway, I was greeted by the sweet sight of 70's sheet vinyl / linoleum. Put the brakes on to ponder the question.....is this at risk for having Asbestos? The green patterend stuff says put and the wood breaks away clean from the adhesive (not worried about the wood adhesive, as the floors were done in the late 80's), but the white stuff appears to be whats left of paper backed vinyl, you can see the pattern bleed thru underneath the paper. I've heard that the paper backed vinyl is a dead giveaway for it being asbestos.

House was built in '76, and the linoleum looks awful 70's. I know this time period is when Asbestos was being phased out but it's a crapshoot on if it has it or not.

What should I do? Get it tested? I think the end result is im gonna just sheet the downstairs demo area with plastic, get the floors wet with a sprayer and keep the dust down / wear an N95 respirator mask as I go. If it doesn't get airborne and doesn't get spread thru the house, it can be disposed of in plastic bags and hauled off right?

Going "over" the vinyl and leaving it in place isn't an option as we're doing tile. Theres about 1100sqft of this to go.....

What say ye?

1627425749087.png

Dark brown adhesive on top of the old vinyl is from the hardwood floor being pulled up

1627425863539.png

The white stuff looks like old underlayment, but is actually old vinyl floor that appears to have paper backing that has separated.

1627425929372.png

Attachments

• 1627425890909.png
    1627425890909.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 58

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Being in your biz.....you don't have a hookup for a hazmat consultant?

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Mask up if you're gonna take it out or pay someone. We use an encapsulant to spray on to keep the fibers down. It's in the wrap on most of the steel pipe. Gotta smack it off with a hammer and scrape and bag it and dispose of it in barrels.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Mask up if you're gonna take it out or pay someone. We use an encapsulant to spray on to keep the fibers down. It's in the wrap on most of the steel pipe. Gotta smack it off with a hammer and scrape and bag it and dispose of it in barrels.
I was gonna have it tested, but either way I think the process to get rid of it is the same. Spray it down, keep it wet, and bag it. Don't sand it or stir it up.
What encapsulent spray do you use? Maybe I can get some of that. Something besides soapy water?

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
I was gonna have it tested, but either way I think the process to get rid of it is the same. Spray it down, keep it wet, and bag it. Don't sand it or stir it up.
What encapsulent spray do you use? Maybe I can get some of that. Something besides soapy water?
I dont buy it....just grab it off the shelf.lol... It kinda reminds me of milk or Armor All.....I'll try to remember to snap a pic tomorrow of the label

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
It's all about minimizing the fibers from getting airborne....especially to keep from inhaling it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We're the prima donna's that waltz in with casework, equipment, doors and finishes at the end, and bitch about the schedule being compressed and site being dirty :cool:
We just hired Arturo. Seems like a good dude

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
We're the prima donna's that waltz in with casework, equipment, doors and finishes at the end, and bitch about the schedule being compressed and site being dirty :cool:
Lol....nice...I usually have the red carpet rolled out...no one wants to have to reschedule. 😂

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Homeboy Depot probably has some candidates with fresh lungs ready to do your dirty work. 😂

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Honestly...I'd probably get the best 3M mask you can get and some goggles....and chip away. Spray would help....no exposure is good exposure, but it's not like you're doing it everyday. But I'm old skool....I grew up with no helmets, drank from the hose, and blew up my army men with model glue and firecrackers...I ain't scurred. 😂😂

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Asbestos. It's a lawyer word that means "lawsuit"

If you used to call the EPA when you broke a CFL light bulb or if you called the EPA when you saw a neighbor throw a paint can in the trash then you'll want to call a company to take a lot of your money while they wear bunny suits and masks and pretend they're risking their lives.

I worked with asbestos for months when I was a kid - breathed it in while I worked in a foundry - and I'm still here (cough cough 😂 😂 😂 ) today.

Man up and take that shit out and tell us about the beers you had afterwards!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Might a been a whole lot easier just to have the hardwood floors refinished???…But I guess tile is easier to roller skate on???…

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I’ve come across it in homes we’ve remodeled and flipped. It’s best to keep it intact and go over it in my experience. Pulling it up and disrupting it is where exposure comes from. If you don’t have to take it up don’t, imo.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@lakemadness is on it. If it's your "forever home", work wet, wear a mask and such...you're in Cali, so standard issue. If you can, bury the stuff and be done with it until the next guy. Either way, no big deal, just don't tell anyone what you threw out.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@lakemadness is on it. If it's your "forever home", work wet, wear a mask and such...you're in Cali, so standard issue. If you can, bury the stuff and be done with it until the next guy. Either way, no big deal, just don't tell anyone what you threw out.
It is the forever home...tell the kids are thru college anyway. I’d go over but the engineered wood floors aren’t really thick enough to refinish and there’s loose spots where the adhesive didn’t stick - of course because they went over varying types of vinyl flooring lol.

it’s all gotta come up to do the new floor proper. Single level, no transition strips, etc.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Being certified in asbestos sampling and inspection. I can tell you what the answer is, but you won’t want to hear it 😂😂😂 keep it wet and bagged. If you aren’t going to have it remediate.

I can almost guarantee the glue holding some the wood will test hot. Same as many building materials used today. Amazing how much asbestos there is in current building materials. 😉

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I've demo'd a ton of that shit . . . a hudson pump type-bug sprayer with some type of wetting agent works pretty well. Keep it wet as you go. A few rolls of those Husky extra heavy duty black construction bags . . . they hold a pretty good amount of weight. Tie them off afterwards. If you can make some plastic curtain walls to contain the area probably a good idea. I always bagged-off any doorways to other rooms, living areas etc. I'm not sure if this was a good idea, but I always took a large powerful floor fan and had it pulling air 'out' of the house. The trick was to open a door or window only the width of the fan and place it right in the opening, then bag-off above it to avoid any re-circ . . . then on the other side of the work area/ room, only open a door/window about the same amount or a bit greater . . . the idea was to create a 'draw' of air to pull anything out of the room.(The fan is pointed 'out' of the house). Kind of poor-mans ventilation system. When we'd do this on some heavy duty demo, where there was a ton of dust you'd be surprised how much stuff gets 'ejected' outside, total lung-saver. Just make sure you take wind direction into consideration . . . it helps to have it working for you than against you. Also, if you're blowing it outside, don't tell the neighbors ! . . . or point it that ones you don't like. 🤣
If you do blow a bunch of dust out there, probably not a bad idea to get a good nozzle on the end of your garden hose and spray everything down / away at the end of the day.
People may have better ideas and more experience than me, but this system worked pretty well for me.
The 'Booger Test' at the end of the day was always telling! 🤣😝👍

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I've demo'd a ton of that shit . . . a hudson pump type-bug sprayer with some type of wetting agent works pretty well. Keep it wet as you go. A few rolls of those Husky extra heavy duty black construction bags . . . they hold a pretty good amount of weight. Tie them off afterwards. If you can make some plastic curtain walls to contain the area probably a good idea. I always bagged-off any doorways to other rooms, living areas etc. I'm not sure if this was a good idea, but I always took a large powerful floor fan and had it pulling air 'out' of the house. The trick was to open a door or window only the width of the fan and place it right in the opening, then bag-off above it to avoid any re-circ . . . then on the other side of the work area/ room, only open a door/window about the same amount or a bit greater . . . the idea was to create a 'draw' of air to pull anything out of the room.(The fan is pointed 'out' of the house). Kind of poor-mans ventilation system. When we'd do this on some heavy duty demo, where there was a ton of dust you'd be surprised how much stuff gets 'ejected' outside, total lung-saver. Just make sure you take wind direction into consideration . . . it helps to have it working for you than against you. Also, if you're blowing it outside, don't tell the neighbors ! . . . or point it that ones you don't like. 🤣
If you do blow a bunch of dust out there, probably not a bad idea to get a good nozzle on the end of your garden hose and spray everything down / away at the end of the day.
People may have better ideas and more experience than me, but this system worked pretty well for me.
Thanks, some good tips. I don’t expect to make a lot of dust but definately will be “quarantining” the downstairs and wetting the material as we work

Lumpy

Reaction score

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

I had that exact same shit in my last house...if memory serves, it was 7-12 % .

Ventilation is key...put a respirator on...not that cheap shit 95. Asbestos is not nuke waist, so if you get it on your skin its not a problem...just take a shower
after you're done with the day and get after it the next morning.

Again...what he said! Desert Whaler knows what he's talking about.

Asbestos in the air is bad...hose that shit down with whatever and shovel that shit out of your house.
Asbestos not airborne in your house...no problem...let it sleep.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Come over Dave ive got Vodka !

Kool Aid isn’t Vodka Buddy 😁😁.

On a serious note, I can’t tell you how many cabins up in BB we tore apart and remodeled back in the 80’s… I was snorting that felt insulation/wall liner crap that was asbestos for years before they decided it was bad for you 🙄🙄. Be safe, your still kinda young 😉

teded

Reaction score
It’s not that expensive to have removed professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teded

Reaction score
IMG_5573.png

You just mail them a sample.
Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Got the wide idea to start tearing up my wood floors today. Once underway, I was greeted by the sweet sight of 70's sheet vinyl / linoleum. Put the brakes on to ponder the question.....is this at risk for having Asbestos? The green patterend stuff says put and the wood breaks away clean from the adhesive (not worried about the wood adhesive, as the floors were done in the late 80's), but the white stuff appears to be whats left of paper backed vinyl, you can see the pattern bleed thru underneath the paper. I've heard that the paper backed vinyl is a dead giveaway for it being asbestos.

House was built in '76, and the linoleum looks awful 70's. I know this time period is when Asbestos was being phased out but it's a crapshoot on if it has it or not.

What should I do? Get it tested? I think the end result is im gonna just sheet the downstairs demo area with plastic, get the floors wet with a sprayer and keep the dust down / wear an N95 respirator mask as I go. If it doesn't get airborne and doesn't get spread thru the house, it can be disposed of in plastic bags and hauled off right?

Going "over" the vinyl and leaving it in place isn't an option as we're doing tile. Theres about 1100sqft of this to go.....

What say ye?

View attachment 1030382

Dark brown adhesive on top of the old vinyl is from the hardwood floor being pulled up

View attachment 1030383

The white stuff looks like old underlayment, but is actually old vinyl floor that appears to have paper backing that has separated.

View attachment 1030385
Where the house?

This is what I do for a living so if you have any questions shoot me a PM