WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Moved the Daughter to Alabama

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
Moved into dorms at The University of Alabama. Bitter sweet and we love Tuscaloosa - talk about nice people.
Anybody else moving the kids soon?

64987875550__A1667ED0-CF12-4918-9A06-B718DF580604.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot

Reaction score
That’s an amazing school. I wish your daughter the best of luck on rush week and with her education adventure.

Spot

Reaction score
Make sure you hit the Original Dreamland BBQ for ribs and sausage. Hit Blue Plate for pure southern food.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Congrats to you and the family. It’s a hell of an accomplishment. It’ll be one of the best and toughest things you’ll do. Been to one game in Tuscaloosa. What a great experience. You’re right about the South. Really nice people.
Our 3rd is in his 4th and last year! Can’t wait to be done..

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Such a great time in a child’s life. I remember taking our son like it was yesterday. As well as the parent’s weekends and his graduation 3 years ago. It goes fast be sure that you visit as often as possible.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Moved into dorms at The University of Alabama. Bitter sweet and we love Tuscaloosa - talk about nice people.
Anybody else moving the kids soon?

View attachment 1035003
View attachment 1035004
View attachment 1035005
View attachment 1035006
View attachment 1035007

Just landed at Knoxville, moving my daughter into UT on Monday. Go Vols!

Are your kids going there on scholarship? Playing any sports?

What do they want to study? What Major?

caribbean20

Reaction score
Wonderful time in life, congratulations, great school. I’ve got several alumni contacts there, very involved.

Both my kids did CU-Boulder. Still waiting for them to go “off the payroll.”

Parker Dreamin

Reaction score
Are your kids going there on scholarship? Playing any sports?

What do they want to study? What Major?

No sports, little scholarships, out of state tuition- taking it in the shorts.

Daughter is going for the Nursing program. Her dream and we support her for wanting it.

HBCraig

Reaction score

Daughter is going for the Nursing program. Her dream and we support her for wanting it.

Bingo. My daughter is doing nursing as well. None of her scholarship offers from Power 5 schools would allow her to take nursing. St Marys would and we are off. Got most if her tuition paid for by softball scholarship

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

We had the same pay as you go opportunity with out of state tuition at $50k a year at CU Boulder. Even offered our son a deal. Go to a full ride school and I will give you 50% of the savings. No thanks Dad I will let you pay the whole thing.. LOL Kids

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Congratulations!
My daughter is going into dorms, but only 15 miles away. I'm scared and excited. She's been in our home, well, 17 years. It'll be weird with one less kid around here.

Be proud of your daughter, and of the fact you raised her.

Wedgy

Reaction score
They grow up so fast, but will always be our beloved, "Kids."

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Awesome and congrats! We visited Alabama and Tennessee this Summer. She is leaning toward NC State...very proud of her wherever she ends up. Although with the prices I am liking UCLA a lot for in-state tuition! One of our younger ones loves UC San Diego so I may save a little there?

I am a huge College football fan and especially the SEC so being there at the stadium for me...I think I was the most excited!

Mototrig

Reaction score
Congrats! I lived 4 years in Mobile AL, dated a girl who went to the University of Alabama. Great school, great people there in the community. Roll Tide

MOUZER

Reaction score
dropped my daughter off at collage yrs ago i cried like a baby................days went by i went and sat in her room and cried like a baby

SkiDoc

Reaction score
My Son graduated from Alabama 3 years ago. He did great there and the education was good. She’s going to love it. He got a full academic scholarship and skied for the waterski team which is as good as the football team. With you on the hard day leaving them.
Your family made an excellent choice. Roll Tide Roll

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Dropping one off at UNLV in another week. Hoping this wont be as hard since its my second i have dropped at college and the last one i dropped at University Of Hawaii i will admit that one was a little difficult dropping somebody on a island.

DWC

Reaction score
My Son graduated from Alabama 3 years ago. He did great there and the education was good. She’s going to love it. He got a full academic scholarship and skied for the waterski team which is as good as the football team. With you on the hard day leaving them.
Your family made an excellent choice. Roll Tide Roll
We stayed at a house/hunting/fishing lodge that had a small lake/big pond on it outside of town. They said the Bama ski team used to use it for practice. Kinda chuckled at the time. Who knew.
My kids loved the “tree houses” and the ponds. Damn fish would jump on the hook with anything on it.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Bingo. My daughter is doing nursing as well. None of her scholarship offers from Power 5 schools would allow her to take nursing. St Marys would and we are off. Got most if her tuition paid for by softball scholarship

Nursing is still a dream for many. I would strongly urge anyone to talk to people currently doing that job before spending much time working on that degree. The field has changed dramatically, and not for the better. Nurses are some of the most overworked, stressed out, underappreciated workers out there. My wife has been a hospital nurse for 30 years and the stuff she puts up with, the contractual things she is denied (any breaks or lunch in a 12+ hr shift), the legal safety checks that the hospital chronically ignores, would make your head spin. Corporations and a drive for profits have ruined the entire industry.

parker guy

Reaction score
Dropped my daughter off in Kansas, its hard and it’s exciting at the same time. You will see her blossom next time you see her. Congrats

nowski

Reaction score
I hope you hit the lottery, out of State tuition is insane!!! Good Luck and Best Wishes...

HBCraig

Reaction score
Nursing is still a dream for many. I would strongly urge anyone to talk to people currently doing that job before spending much time working on that degree. The field has changed dramatically, and not for the better. Nurses are some of the most overworked, stressed out, underappreciated workers out there. My wife has been a hospital nurse for 30 years and the stuff she puts up with, the contractual things she is denied (any breaks or lunch in a 12+ hr shift), the legal safety checks that the hospital chronically ignores, would make your head spin. Corporations and a drive for profits have ruined the entire industry.
If she were an 18 year old freshman would she do it again?

Also, I am pushing my daughter to be a Nurse Practitioner and get her masters. Wonder what your wife thinks of that.

Sorry for the thread jack but I figured some here are going fir nursing so it might be relevant

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
@HBCraig, she would say IF that is the goal, definitely start on it right away. It doesnt pay all that well and she will have a lot of schooling to pay off. Your daughter will always be "tied" to a doctor, and doctors can be jerks. Choose wisely.
But with the industry the way it is headed, more and more will be needed to do the work of doctors for much less money.

Parker Dreamin

Reaction score
@HBCraig, she would say IF that is the goal, definitely start on it right away. It doesnt pay all that well and she will have a lot of schooling to pay off. Your daughter will always be "tied" to a doctor, and doctors can be jerks. Choose wisely.
But with the industry the way it is headed, more and more will be needed to do the work of doctors for much less money.

Wife- her mom, is an RN for the last 16 years, so she is very aware. Daughters goal is to be an CRNA.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Said our goodbyes. Fuck me- put this on the list of hard hitters. In a good way.
View attachment 1035076
View attachment 1035077
View attachment 1035078

Roomie looks like a proper southern gal so she'll be in good hands.... congratulations on chosing such a fine southern institution! I've got a gal neighbor who attended and the only times I see her each year are during Bama football games when she comes over for some serious support. ROLL TIDE!

USClb41

Reaction score
Off to DePauw University in Indiana Friday to drop off my daughter to go to school and play volleyball.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
We are leaving Thursday to drop our oldest daughter off at UT Austin. Shit is about to get real in our household and I'm not sure how my wife is going to cope. We are super proud of our daughter Brooke, as she got into the civil engineering program at UT and their freshman admission from out of state is only 7%. We are super hopeful that she finds a great group of friends that will keep from becoming home sick. Wish us luck, as this tight knit family is going to need it! #hook'emhorns🤘

DWC

Reaction score
We are leaving Thursday to drop our oldest daughter off at UT Austin. Shit is about to get real in our household and I'm not sure how my wife is going to cope. We are super proud of our daughter Brooke, as she got into the civil engineering program at UT and their freshman admission from out of state is only 7%. We are super hopeful that she finds a great group of friends that will keep from becoming home sick. Wish us luck, as this tight knit family is going to need it! #hook'emhorns🤘
Dropping the first one is tough on parents. Really tough on mom. Dropping off the last one is a mother f’r. :oops: My wife has gone through menopause twice. The last kid moving out was worse. There’s no buffer for dad.

propcheck

Reaction score
Yep, drop off at NAU next week. Economics major. Not looking forward to it.

Bear Down

Reaction score
A few years ago...I was on a shuttle to LAX going to a Terminal.... I see a mom/daughter hugging each other and a dad somewhat sitting away from the 2.. It was pretty awkward and an uncomfy feeling seeing the 3 in a weird state of sadness... there was a little bit of sobbing and sniffing.. Finally mid way to the terminal, the mother lets me know that they were dropping off their daughter to college and it was a bit emotional for everyone. I never realized how emotional that could be until I saw if 1st hand. Kudos to the kids that have the courage to detach from home and explore and go to out of state college. Big kudos to the parents that raised great effen kids that are able to trust and believe in them to do so and support them the best they can!

j21black

Reaction score
Tell her to stay out of Birmingham and Montgomery!

kurtis500

Reaction score
I did the drop-off drama with all 3 recently. Good luck to all of you doing it for the first time! Sad but exciting. The empty room at home is a tough one. Keep some $ or airline points available if they (and mom) gets home sick in a month. A quick weekend flight calms them for a symster.

Also, buy your Thanksgiving tickets NOW if you plan for them to come home that weekend. We bought all 3 of ours last month and the prices keep going up. If you need to move the ticket you can pay the difference anyways.

Remember, they really are ready to be away from home and their parents even if they get homesick.

gqchris

Reaction score
Nice, Here you guys my age are dropping off daughters at College and I have my first born due in 3 weeks! I am taking notes for when I am 65 years old and doing the same thing 😅 @pronstar we need to make a members only club for us!