WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interceptor Custom Boats - HAVASU!

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I didn’t see an auto flush urinal in the bathroom, come on man how does this place even run……….. 😂🙄. Nice looking shop hope it works out for them! Thank you Dave for sharing info with us on top of everything else you do sir!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I find it to be interesting that so many owners/GM's overlook AC in a shop. When I ran a manufacturing shop in Florida one of the first things that I did was to get the owner to install AC. I showed him the numbers of what happens on different days and even from morning to afternoon based on temperatures. It was clear to see that when it got hot, production slowed.
Now that I had the proof I provided the explanation. The human body will protect itself at all cost. If it detects an overheat condition it goes into protect mode and slows body functions. This is not something that the guys have control over as it is an automatic function.
Secondly, the guys will have an attitude and rightfully so. It's freaking hot so they spend more time in front of a fan, drinking water or in a lot of cases, energy drinks.
Drinking lots of liquid also requires what? Bathrooms, and with 9 or 10 guys and only one toilet, there was a lot of time lost due to people waiting to use it.
By installing AC we reduced time lost due to waiting on toilet time. Increased production because guys could physically work at pace without overheating. What I felt was the biggest win was the morale. The guys felt like they were important and appreciated. This changed the way they worked and simply produced at a faster rate and when I brought new guys in there was peer pressure to maintain that rate. Along with the build books I made for each model of boat, new guys were able to get to speed much quicker with less direct supervision.
That was the point when the owner let me completely redesign the shop, SOP's and inventory control. We went from build 24 boats the year before I got there to 36 boats the year I took over. Man those were fun times....

truth

petie6464

Reaction score
I find it to be interesting that so many owners/GM's overlook AC in a shop. When I ran a manufacturing shop in Florida one of the first things that I did was to get the owner to install AC. I showed him the numbers of what happens on different days and even from morning to afternoon based on temperatures. It was clear to see that when it got hot, production slowed.
Now that I had the proof I provided the explanation. The human body will protect itself at all cost. If it detects an overheat condition it goes into protect mode and slows body functions. This is not something that the guys have control over as it is an automatic function.
Secondly, the guys will have an attitude and rightfully so. It's freaking hot so they spend more time in front of a fan, drinking water or in a lot of cases, energy drinks.
Drinking lots of liquid also requires what? Bathrooms, and with 9 or 10 guys and only one toilet, there was a lot of time lost due to people waiting to use it.
By installing AC we reduced time lost due to waiting on toilet time. Increased production because guys could physically work at pace without overheating. What I felt was the biggest win was the morale. The guys felt like they were important and appreciated. This changed the way they worked and simply produced at a faster rate and when I brought new guys in there was peer pressure to maintain that rate. Along with the build books I made for each model of boat, new guys were able to get to speed much quicker with less direct supervision.
That was the point when the owner let me completely redesign the shop, SOP's and inventory control. We went from build 24 boats the year before I got there to 36 boats the year I took over. Man those were fun times....

With 9-10 guys you produced 36 boats in a year. What type of boat was that?

Reactions: DWC

retaocleg

Reaction score
anyone who hasn't built boats in the havasu heat doesn't know.........swamp coolers work great till about june 21, and after sept 15........ it blows.......
you come in at 4 or 5 and it is already 85-95 degress in the shop until about sept 15............and because most use swamp coolers, humidity is 60-90 percent...........depending if it rained the night before or a system came over, but never rained........that is the starting temp........only goes up.......and with gel and lam, you dont have the luxury of pacing yourself........gel times dont give a shit.........you gotta move your ass........constant drizzle of sweat like a busted pipe...........with that goes patience, which is needed...........rigging, upholstery, wood, and others don't have to heed gel times(they are still sweating tho).......whoever decided it was a great idea to start building boats here, didnt start with 30 foot deck boats, i can assure you..........that has something to do with not being able to get talent from other parts of the country.........

when i started training my son in law, first thing i said, gotta get a guy used to the heat, cal guys wont last.........been doing this here long enough to see them come and go.............usually about july, they bailout.......gotta be used to it.......matt has a chance to

rant semi-over!

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With 9-10 guys you produced 36 boats in a year. What type of boat was that?

They were Nortech.. the way their operations are setup are way different than here. They have buildings that only build certain models of boats and crews that focus in on certain parts etc.. very impressive. I did a factory tour awhile back. There is a thread on here.

petie6464

Reaction score
They were Nortech.. the way their operations are setup are way different than here. They have buildings that only build certain models of boats and crews that focus in on certain parts etc.. very impressive. I did a factory tour awhile back. There is a thread on here.

Nor-tech has 150ish. employees not 9-10

nowski

Reaction score
it might work! If it does ya owe me a 30 pack.

That line didn't work for nothing, however this line "Me You Dinner Motel" works every time. Looks like you gotta buy your own 30 pack, sorry...

Warlock1

Reaction score
Nor-tech has 150ish. employees not 9-10
This is true, we were there secondary facility that was owned by someone else and contracted to build their 34 footers. We also built all of the 39 foot boat show boats and Tronds boats.

petie6464

Reaction score
This is true, we were there secondary facility that was owned by someone else and contracted to build their 34 footers. We also built all of the 39 foot boat show boats and Tronds boats.

If you do all that with 9-10 guys you should go to Nodic, they could trim off 90% of their people and build more boats.

Warlock1

Reaction score
If you do all that with 9-10 guys you should go to Nodic, they could trim off 90% of their people and build more boats.
I'd be more than happy and take my background and experience to any boat builder and help them maximize their efficiencies. It is what I do. I'd love to open a shop where I live and build boats, just can't live in Havasu due to a medical condition and I don't trust the healthcare there.

One thing that helped us was we did none of the layup of the hulls. That was done by the main factory and they would bring us the blank hulls (no holes). We spent the first day and a half (variable depending on features) putting all the holes in the boat and regelling the holes so there was no bare wood. Then we washed the boat down. Second day we started the shineys, thru hulls, cleats, transducer(s) handrails, grab handles, etc. Everything was done in stages with multiple guys doing certain tasks. One guy in the bilge, One or two doing the shineys, One guy doing the bathroom and cuddy work. This way everybody was out of each others way but could lend a hand whenever needed. When we ran into problems the teams would assemble and discuss what happened and we could figure out a corrective action verses pointing blame.
The goal was 350 hours to build a boat and our bonuses were tied to that. Now if the boat got come crazy electronics and quads, plus AC, multiple radars. special stereos then that number was adjusted.
Also we did not do the rub rail or interior as that was done by the main factory. When we were done the boat was a functional running boat with all systems verified.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Figured I would showcase some of our work. All of our wiring was exposed so troubleshooting would be easier and to showcase our talents. The main factory did not do this step. Anything that would have had an issue with chafing either got split loom or some kind of a barrier. Some of these pictures show details that were not completely finished yet, but were finished before the boat went to QC.

Attachments

• 20180111_135335.jpg
    20180111_135335.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 242
  • 20180213_101232.jpg
    20180213_101232.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 20180327_135839.jpg
    20180327_135839.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 20180404_143139.jpg
    20180404_143139.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 233
  • 20180406_084500.jpg
    20180406_084500.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20180427_113145.jpg
    20180427_113145.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20180620_135255.jpg
    20180620_135255.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20180827_082650.jpg
    20180827_082650.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 20181112_111334.jpg
    20181112_111334.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 20190104_124711.jpg
    20190104_124711.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190104_124803.jpg
    20190104_124803.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 20190110_161345.jpg
    20190110_161345.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 210
  • 20190121_160658.jpg
    20190121_160658.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20190121_160740.jpg
    20190121_160740.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20190528_085806.jpg
    20190528_085806.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 206

schweeng

Reaction score
Sorry….. bunch of A holes on this thread. so much negativity…starting speculation or bringing up past/old stuff. Have absolutely nothing to do with this company (need to say this before the next tool wants to start shit)). Dave spends his time visiting, taking pics, posting this all for the pleasure of the
“I know better crowd” nothing nice to say…. Move on then

Riverdude

Reaction score
Figured I would showcase some of our work. All of our wiring was exposed so troubleshooting would be easier and to showcase our talents. The main factory did not do this step. Anything that would have had an issue with chafing either got split loom or some kind of a barrier. Some of these pictures show details that were not completely finished yet, but were finished before the boat went to QC.

Is this a Interceptor Boat ?

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Nice work

guest hs

Reaction score
I put two mini splits in my shop in Havasu made a huge difference. Everyone that walks in my shop comments that’s it’s the coolest shop in Havasu.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
anyone who hasn't built boats in the havasu heat doesn't know.........swamp coolers work great till about june 21, and after sept 15........ it blows.......
you come in at 4 or 5 and it is already 85-95 degress in the shop until about sept 15............and because most use swamp coolers, humidity is 60-90 percent...........depending if it rained the night before or a system came over, but never rained........that is the starting temp........only goes up.......and with gel and lam, you dont have the luxury of pacing yourself........gel times dont give a shit.........you gotta move your ass........constant drizzle of sweat like a busted pipe...........with that goes patience, which is needed...........rigging, upholstery, wood, and others don't have to heed gel times(they are still sweating tho).......whoever decided it was a great idea to start building boats here, didnt start with 30 foot deck boats, i can assure you..........that has something to do with not being able to get talent from other parts of the country.........

when i started training my son in law, first thing i said, gotta get a guy used to the heat, cal guys wont last.........been doing this here long enough to see them come and go.............usually about july, they bailout.......gotta be used to it.......matt has a chance to

rant semi-over!
I gotta laugh...you need to start training the new guys by having them spend an August or July either doing asphalt work, or roofing. Never done road work, but spent some summers on roofs. If it's 110 in the parking lot, it's usually 120+ on the deck. No shade at all... wringing out bandanas, everything just soaked. Never worried about having to pee, no matter how much you drank it just kind of oozed out of you. It all makes you appreciate both days off, and the AC in the truck.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I gotta laugh...you need to start training the new guys by having them spend an August or July either doing asphalt work, or roofing. Never done road work, but spent some summers on roofs. If it's 110 in the parking lot, it's usually 120+ on the deck. No shade at all... wringing out bandanas, everything just soaked. Never worried about having to pee, no matter how much you drank it just kind of oozed out of you. It all makes you appreciate both days off, and the AC in the truck.
Not sure what’s worse?
Having to stop to go pee, or not peeing all day even after intake of several liters of water, lol.
Roofing has to be one of the worst jobs ever.
My dad was in construction my whole life.
Pretty common for me to be rolling to jobs with him on summer break. Spreading mastic was probably the worst fuckin job on the planet😂

On the bright side that shit didn’t care how hot it was outside.
Gelcoat and resin react very poorly to working outside of their lab controlled gel tests of 77 degrees and less than 20% humidity.
I posted this pic in the job fuck ups thread.
A7B6BD94-A159-4425-8BB4-D0A5D4924DC4.png

Direct result of too much heat.
Essentially erased the last 2 days of work.
It all went in the trash.
Start over at step A.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not sure what’s worse?
Having to stop to go pee, or not peeing all day even after intake of several liters of water, lol.
Roofing has to be one of the worst jobs ever.
My dad was in construction my whole life.
Pretty common for me to be rolling to jobs with him on summer break. Spreading mastic was probably the worst fuckin job on the planet😂

Gelcoat and resin react very poorly to working outside of their lab controlled gel tests of 77 degrees and less than 20% humidity.
View attachment 1045369
Start over at step A.
My Pops was a roofer, and I did it for some time. Paid good, but will kill you. Mastic isn't bad. Now hot tar, that stuff sucks! Luckily, we had very little work that required "thought". Too hot? Too cold? Too bad. Keep your head down and keep moving. Like a whore, making your money with your body not your brain...
Honestly, I miss it sometimes!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Good for them! I hope the succeed. Looks like do very good work, have an amazing building as a base and a silent money guy that has a vision.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My Pops was a roofer, and I did it for some time. Paid good, but will kill you. Mastic isn't bad. Now hot tar, that stuff sucks! Luckily, we had very little work that required "thought". Too hot? Too cold? Too bad. Keep your head down and keep moving. Like a whore, making your money with your body not your brain...
Honestly, I miss it sometimes!
I should have noted in there.
From my perspective it was too much heat.
From @retaocleg perspective....I didn’t move my ass fast enough😉

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I thought it was bad because it was 140° inside my cement truck, but at least I had shade.😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I thought it was bad because it was 140° inside my cement truck, but at least I had shade.😂
That would suck balls until you start rolling back...at least then you get a breeze. Well, until the sweat dries, then it just feels like a hair drier :oops:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
That would suck balls until you start rolling back...at least then you get a breeze. Well, until the sweat dries, then it just feels like a hair drier :oops:
Hairdryer wouldn’t be bad not quite a blow torch though.😂 that was the week we set the record at 128°, it was an old Mack with no insulation bare metal floors. The good times.😊

oh, and the finishers were using up all my cleanup water to spray themselves to keep cool. It was a brutal week, could only imagine what the roofers were going through but then again most of the time they’re off the roof by 11 AM

retaocleg

Reaction score
View attachment 1045369
Start over at step A.
77 degrees, lol.........winter conditions, practically single digits! i thought gel time was at 74 degrees? prolly wrong
i used to have to spray my pins on the hulls in halves........no way i could pull all in time 👎👎👎👎that's a bummer tho, having start over...

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
77 degrees, lol.........winter conditions, practically single digits!
i used to have to spray my pins on the hulls in halves........no way i could pull all in time 👎👎👎👎that's a bummer tho, having start over...
Sometimes for the best.
I can take 3 days to a week to fix it or they can take 3.5 weeks.
Whoever ends up spraying molds at the new Interceptor is going to have a bit more control over things with a real AC.
To my knowledge the only other shop to have a real AC system for the booth and mold prep/taping area, is DCB.