WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I don’t get the Toon

DWC

Reaction score
Well if you spend over a 100 you actually get 3 metal cans? :D

I will say this.. to look at them I don't see the appeal aesthetics wise.. but I swear to god if you ride around in that toon I bought everybody gawks at it, and makes comments about twin 400's.. I park it on the dock next to Big Elims and DCB's and everyone walks over to the toon and wants to know all about it. In general all of them say "That's what I'm getting next".

Personally I never much cared what other people thought of my boats, because I had a boat that most people in modern times have never heard of being my Schiada.. I don't think my 98 Hallett was gonna win any beauty contests.. LOL. Some day in the future I'd love to get a 24 Spectra and run it with a big turbo motor.

None of these would even appeal to the fast boat crowd of modern times. To me they are all the things I love and want. The point being I never much cared about other peoples thoughts on my boats.. This pontoon thing shocks me every single time I take it out.

RD
Cruising with my BIL is a crack up. The number of people pointing and giving the thumbs up at the Trifecta is crazy. Is a toon for everyone.. It appears not. I personally love cruising in it. Plenty fast, shitloads of room and the OB’s are awesome. Looking forward to doing the Dam run on it this weekend in it. (unless there’s room in the 35’ ;) Sorry JB).

Tobester

Reaction score
If you and your family are into watersports, ditch the toon and get a Malibu. I have a Mastercraft and its our family boat. My 6 year old daughter can already wakeboard behind it and will sit in a tube all day long if she could. They have great handling for watersports as well as make it safe and easy for everyone. The storage is plentiful and they can hold 14-16 people. I also indulge in the watersports with them. When my kids grow out of it I would probably jump into something faster but I don't anticipate that being for 10 to 15 year or so. The newer boats also have much more freeboard and don't ride as rough as everyone thinks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you and your family are into watersports, ditch the toon and get a Malibu. I have a Mastercraft and its our family boat. My 6 year old daughter can already wakeboard behind it and will sit in a tube all day long if she could. They have great handling for watersports as well as make it safe and easy for everyone. The storage is plentiful and they can hold 14-16 people. I also indulge in the watersports with them. When my kids grow out of it I would probably jump into something faster but I don't anticipate that being for 10 to 15 year or so. The newer boats also have much more freeboard and don't ride as rough as everyone thinks.

I am fairly certain I would get lynched if I made an antler boat my primary ride.. lol

Tobester

Reaction score
I am fairly certain I would get lynched if I made an antler boat my primary ride.. lol
LOL! Around here that my be true. But the enjoyment your kids would have will outweigh any of the backlash. Shit Dave, you could pick up the $400K 26' Pavati and the dudes will come flocking to check out your ride!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I have to agree with the gawking at the toon as that really happens. I don't get that either.

I only have one whacker but where ever I go I get the thumbs up and positive feedback about the toon. I was towing back to a house in Disco Bay on a Saturday night and I got a lot of people giving the toon praise. I was joking about telling everyone that is gawking at the toon that I have an Eliminator. Why was everyone so interested in the toon. LOL I even put a EB sticker on the toon and wear my hat and shirt.

No respect I tell ya.

I can only imagine the interest one gets with a dual outboard toon.

RD is a bad example. When people see RD they are probably star struck by RD.... LOL

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I actually consulted my kids (19 YO & 12 YO) about ditching the toon. We took a family vote and it was 3-1 in favor of the Malibu. The dissenting vote was the wife.

Actually they talk a lot of the re-design of the late model wake board boats and their ability to handle rough water better than their predecessors. I have not been in a late model one yet so we will see. Latest I have been on is a 2007. One can see the changes made to them over the years.

I don't expect them to handle the rough like a Fountain but it will be interesting.

PlanB

Reaction score
Speaking of wake boats and toons, there was one of these parked at the Airbnb down the street from our place a few months ago in Havasu. Interesting boat... Go to the 2:20 mark in the video.

Backlash

Reaction score

You sold a helluva nice boat that many would consider an heirloom, and you survived that. I think you'd be fine. Besides, didn't someone say they didn't care what other people thought about what type of boat they rocked? 😉

riverroyal

Reaction score
I’ve wake surfed behind everything but a wake surf boat. I’d like to try it. No desire to own a wake boat.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Many of us like cars. Is a ‘67 fastback mustang cool? How do you feel about the new Mustang Mach-E? Almost nothing to do with each other, right?

Pontoons, V’s, performance cats, wakeboard boats, flats…. Depends what your program look like.

Pontoons are the station wagons of boats. Pile everyone in, room for everything, float down the highway.
(Dave’s may be a well equipped soccer-mom van)

(Full Disclaimer, I have an old pontoon - Works for our program. Boat stays in the water all season. My kids are little animals. Nothing nice for a few more years)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
LOL! Around here that my be true. But the enjoyment your kids would have will outweigh any of the backlash. Shit Dave, you could pick up the $400K 26' Pavati and the dudes will come flocking to check out your ride!

The 300+ thousand one was in the channel the other day.. People were staring at the toon. 🤪

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You sold a helluva nice boat that many would consider an heirloom, and you survived that. I think you'd be fine. Besides, didn't someone say they didn't care what other people thought about what type of boat they rocked? 😉

I don’t care 🤪.. but I’m not trying to get strung up by my members either. 😳👀

curtiej10

Reaction score
Something that may change your mind.
43BAD458-F6A2-414A-9608-1EB2C984C417.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
An antler boat Dave? :rolleyes: We changed from roll bar? :)

We have mid western guys on the board now too.. I wanted to let them know I was talking about those boats with the Buck Racks on the top of em.. ;) :D

RD

BingerFang

Reaction score
We have mid western guys on the board now too.. I wanted to let them know I was talking about those boats with the Buck Racks on the top of em.. ;) :D

RD

Doesn’t your toon have a roll bar on it as well?? 😂

brgrcru

Reaction score
I told my wife that we are still young enough to partake in wakeboarding and surfing still. Plus the kids are interested in the wakeboarding and surfing.

I figure we will buy another Toon in the future when we no longer can do those sports.

We essentially did it backwards. We should have bought the Malibu now and the Toon later.

I don't think we would own a Malibu if we didn't want to actually surf and wakeboard. Then the toon makes more sense.

high five for the ski wake surf boat
Your family will have a great time doing water activities
Congrats
We went with smaller Malibu dock crasher
Vtx
Go fast boat has to be there though !
99DB62F8-F119-4938-BFCA-321D5E627DA0.jpeg

curtiej10

Reaction score
At 51, I'm not old enough for a pontoon boat, and really don't want 14 to 18 people on my boat.

Dan'l
So I don’t get what that means. Is it a performance thing, looks, what is it exactly? I’m scraping 50 and just sold a beautiful performance boat.

2Driver

Reaction score
You can bring the bbq and have a great time with these things.. you tour the lake in comfort is what Im saying

😁

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
726F952B-4877-4A66-A595-E56B830CE074.png
Get a little mod VP outboard…can find them under $10K all the time. 80mph on a 18-19’ boat is just as much fun, if not more, than 100mph on a 30’ boat.

There’s your cheap thrills.

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
In all fairness to Toon owners I am not quite over the performance boat thing. I get some have moved away from performance boats and got a toon. That is because they had done it for so long and had their fill of it. I totally understand the amount of work and cost involved with one. (or you look at this and dont want to get involved)

I kept my Speedster because that is still what I want to do as I stll enjoy the speed boat thing.

I understand that some people are over that and want to move onto something easier to use and care for which reduces work and worry. The toon does that well.

Most weekends I don’t even drive the toon, my son does. I drive the Speedster and we take both boats.

If I sold my Speedster and did not replace it with similar I think I would get another Toon with a single 450. Lol

I think I have one more speed boat in my system before I give it up.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Those roll bar boats remind me of the homeboys in the hood putting bricks in the trunk to make a low rider, only these folks fill them with water to make an ocean.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You know what I miss with the toon. No one is scared of it.

I am not talking about doing anything dangerous just routine driving.

Seasoned boaters take the speed for granted because we are used to it. But to most NONE boaters they think 65++ mph on a boat is fast. Same people think 80++ on a boat is just plain nuts. They will get nervous just driving that speed. Anyone know one of those people? I do.

Most people take it in stride.

But the nervous nellys look very uncomfortable when one drives above 70 mph. I missed that ;)

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
Bunch of Looney Toons on this site...

riverroyal

Reaction score
So I don’t get what that means. Is it a performance thing, looks, what is it exactly? I’m scraping 50 and just sold a beautiful performance boat.
I can answer maybe. Im 52 and bought my toon at 47. Coming from a magic deck boat the toon lacks a few things. Motor sound, the feeling of 'driving' something that is some what exciting to actually drive. When driving the toon I find myself looking for more. More speed, more trim, more picking my lines in traffic.
It also takes twice as long to clean. Yes I clean it every time, regardless if its a pontoon.

On the flip side. Once on a beach it cant be beat. So you have the sacrifice of a boring operating experience for a great beach and party place.

For me, I wasnt fully ready to give up the operating experience which I didnt know until after I sold the Magic. I still have the toon, it has been flawless and looks great in the toon world.

This is where I get stuck, Im not going to pay 200k for a faster toon. Im going to buy a deck boat or open bow cat like a Nordic SS, Thor, etc.
No matter what a toon cost its still modular construction and the quality is there but its not a custom level in the same price range.

Your new boat is interesting. It will have that custom feel Im personally missing. Will it be exciting to operate, probably not unless it has twins with the bigger price tag.
Im assuming yours will have graphic options, like a real custom one of a kind gel design.

Pontoon boating is NOT the same as other boating. For some it better. For me its equal.

poncho

Reaction score
I get the whole practicality of a toon, I live on a lake and 90-95 percent of the boats are toons. That being said I still need it to excite me somehow, old school adrenaline junkie that's not ready to give it up just yet. I'll have one someday just don't know when.
Kind of like my bike, I know I should get one of those Bluetooth Barcaloungers on 2 wheels but I kind of like the rough and loud, if the Wife rode with me that would be a different story.
20210723_113420.jpg

End of the day I just need to win the lottery and have one of everything. ;)

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
wait, you clean the toon?

Oh the horror. What are you some kind of sociopath?

I ride that shit hard and put it away wet. I cleaned the interior once but felt bad after. It just got dirty again.

lol JK. I know some old habits die hard.

I can answer maybe. Im 52 and bought my toon at 47. Coming from a magic deck boat the toon lacks a few things. Motor sound, the feeling of 'driving' something that is some what exciting to actually drive. When driving the toon I find myself looking for more. More speed, more trim, more picking my lines in traffic.
It also takes twice as long to clean. Yes I clean it every time, regardless if its a pontoon.

On the flip side. Once on a beach it cant be beat. So you have the sacrifice of a boring operating experience for a great beach and party place.

For me, I wasnt fully ready to give up the operating experience which I didnt know until after I sold the Magic. I still have the toon, it has been flawless and looks great in the toon world.

This is where I get stuck, Im not going to pay 200k for a faster toon. Im going to buy a deck boat or open bow cat like a Nordic SS, Thor, etc.
No matter what a toon cost its still modular construction and the quality is there but its not a custom level in the same price range.

Your new boat is interesting. It will have that custom feel Im personally missing. Will it be exciting to operate, probably not unless it has twins with the bigger price tag.
Im assuming yours will have graphic options, like a real custom one of a kind gel design.

Pontoon boating is NOT the same as other boating. For some it better. For me its equal.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Seasoned boaters take the speed for granted because we are used to it. But to most NONE boaters they think 65++ mph on a boat is fast.

Coming from a toon to a deckboat (not a speed demon by any means), 65++ is plenty "fast" for the wife and I. However, there will be a point in time when I too will think it's not fast and will want more.

I enjoyed our toon, it provided many years of enjoyment and served our family's needs. I have just always wanted a deckboat as I love the look of them and it has a similar layout to the toon which the wife and I like.

Reactions: DWC

poncho

Reaction score
Remember the days when your calf burned from the water hitting it all day? Remember when your arms felt like rubber, and you could hardly get back in the boat?

No???

That's probably why you wanna buy a wake board boat...

Nuf said. :cool:

MSzgqU.jpg
That first pull in the spring where I told myself just going to ease into it with short runs....nope....couldn't wipe my ass 2 days later.:p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am with the OP....I don't get the toons.....I will stick with my tow boat and cat... You know what's better than having a toon....is having a buddy with a toon! :)

I have a toon. And a buddy with Stoker.

Winning! 😁

brgrcru

Reaction score
Remember the days when your calf burned from the water hitting it all day? Remember when your arms felt like rubber, and you could hardly get back in the boat?

No???

That's probably why you wanna buy a wake board boat...

Nuf said. :cool:

MSzgqU.jpg
Why we bought the Malibu vtx
Can do everything with diamond cut haul
skies very well

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I like toons for chill days on the water. Plenty of shade, space etc. The dual wacker toons are nice for cruising. I am saving this for the boys when they turn 16 and can launch themselves.

Fathers Day 2019 Topock Gorge-00-01-54-174.jpg

mbrown2

Reaction score
i think you'll either be disappointed with the wakeboat or absolutely love it. On one hand they're as "utility" as your pontoon... storage for days, every square inch maximized to hold something, or do something. Theres little "wasted space." Easy to get in/out of, designed to just be soaking wet 24-7 from people climbing in/out, etc. You'll have "cruise control" so that 6 year old professional wakeboarder that requires 7.2568592895 mph gets their perfect ride.

On the other hand every single one of them weighs too much, the hull design rides extremely bumpy. Theres no way to trim, etc to control how the boat rides, getting on plane takes forever and you have to stand up to see over the bow and once it finally does plane out... you're stuck at a blistering 40-50mph.
I agree with your first paragraph....but on the second...my boat rides very similar to a Chris Craft 25' launch.....I know cause I was looking/testing both before we picked up the 25' foot mastercraft... You can ski, wake, surf, cruise and adjust its personality with all the tabs and ballast to your hearts delight.... it can drive through anything Havasu can throw it at like a tank...

The new MC hull designs have big deep vees that are a hybrid and can do all things well by just adjusting tabs/ballast...

XT25-1.jpg

XT25-22.jpg

Hull from a CC Launch 25 for comparison...
6531787L.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I agree with your first paragraph....but on the second...my boat rides very similar to a Chris Craft 25' launch.....I know cause I was looking/testing both before we picked up the 25' foot mastercraft... You can ski, wake, surf, cruise and adjust its personality with all the tabs and ballast to your hearts delight.... it can drive through anything Havasu can throw it at like a tank...

The new MC hull designs have big deep vees that are a hybrid and can do all things well by just adjusting tabs/ballast...

View attachment 1036695

first off, nice boat. im not bashing by any means. that boat has a purpose and it does it really really well. especially with kids, game changing.

but you cant compare the hull design with a V speedboat design, the deadrise at the rear isnt there. Sure its got a ton before the center of the boat where it normally rides. but in havasu "chop" or even parker chop I can guarantee that you're pulling the throttle back, slowing down, and taking a beating. i know because our family also has a mastercraft and its the exact same thing. sometimes i wonder how the boat is still even in one piece when you hit like a 3 footer in the afternoon once the wind kicks up. ive also ridden in natiques, centurions, and other mastercrafts... same thing, kidney belts in the afternoon.

compare your transom deadrise to that of lets say the hallett 245... a very respectable good sized havasu boat. it aint even close... thats why even on a bad day that thing can cruise full throttle.

245-transom-jpg.688855