WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on wireless surround sound

4Waters

Reaction score
I see theater's going away and the biggest reason I go to the theater is to watch an action flick with surround sound.

I would like to get surround sound in my living room but it has vaulted ceilings and no attic access to run wires.

I know Sonos and Bose both have great wireless surround but are expensive AF, there are several others now including brand names like Samsung. What does the RDP braintrust think/recommend?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I don’t see theatres going away. So many people want to see it on a BIG screen. That said streaming and instant availability will play a factor In that. Now to your question. I’m waiting to hear options out there. Even atmos wireless if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATKpilot

Reaction score
What is your budget, that will really help steer it in the right direction. Not a fan of sound bars, they are OK but not quite like a true 5.1, 5.2 or 7.1 system. That said, I am not a fan of 7.1. A solid 5.1 or 5.2 system is excellent. What size room do you have?

If you do want to opt for a soundbar based system because of space this one sounds excellent and is about as good as it gets: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...ith-dolby-atmos-black/6462571.p?skuId=6462571

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
What is your budget, that will really help steer it in the right direction. I highly recommend staying away from sound bars, they are OK but not even close to true 5.1, 5.2 or 7.1. That said, I am not a fan of 7.1. A solid 5.1 or 5.2 system is excellent. What size room do you have?
I really don't know what my budget is going to be honestly. I currently have a sound bar and it is nice but I also never expected it to be 5.1 surround. I can tell you 3k+ is out of my budget though.

4Waters

Reaction score
What is your budget, that will really help steer it in the right direction. I highly recommend staying away from sound bars, they are OK but not even close to true 5.1, 5.2 or 7.1. That said, I am not a fan of 7.1. A solid 5.1 or 5.2 system is excellent. What size room do you have?
20x22 room with vaulted ceiling 8' to 14'

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Can you just get away with wired for the front? Costco had a decent Klipsch set....I think the rears and sub are wireless. You can always run a system like that anyways and get a wireless module if needed.

4Waters

Reaction score
Can you just get away with wired for the front? Costco had a decent Klipsch set....I think the rears and sub are wireless. You can always run a system like that anyways and get a wireless module if needed.
I can do wired for the front but what is this module you speak of

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
A non baller amp will maybe be in the 3-500 dollar range too. I believe Costco has a Yamaha one for around 400. Bluetooth capability...not sure how that works for the speakers...curious myself.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
I can do wired for the front but what is this module you speak of
You can buy some wireless dealios for speakers. I think they just have a little module that you mount near the speaker....meaning speaker wired to the module only...probably a power source....then probably another part that hooks up to your amps speaker input. Transmits signal wireless.

gqchris

Reaction score
I don’t see theatres going away. So many people want to see it on a BIG screen. That said streaming and instant availability will play a factor In that. Now to your question. I’m waiting to hear options out there. Even atmos wireless if available.

Watching a movie in VR is pretty cool also. I swear it feels like you are in a theatre.

IMG_4723.jpg

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
i did the Sonos sound bar, sub, and two rear speakers, wow it sounds amazing,

as good if not better than when i had a whole system put in years ago

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

We’re actually starting to go to the movies again, but with a twist.

There’s a studio movie grille near us, full wait service.

They rent the entire studio out for just $200, no matter how many people. You can’t watch the latest releases, but there’s lot of older flicks that are good.

So every month or two, our church group rents it out and all the families show up. Last two movies were Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon.

Good times with other families/kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4Waters

Reaction score

They rent the entire studio out for just $200, no matter how many people. You can’t watch the latest releases, but there’s lot of older flicks that are good.

So every month or two, our church group rents it out and all the families show up. Last two movies were Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon.

We've gone twice in the last 6 weeks and both times the theaters had less than 10 people in them, if we get locked down again I don't think the theaters will make it.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
If wanted to go experience the theatre at home Id tell my kid to kick my chair and talk. Bought a 70” 4K on sale and I’m always at the theatre without the bullshit. My TVs sound is plenty too no need for surround.

hallett21

Reaction score
My vote is Sonos. Their sound quality is one of the best. With this kit you can compete with most “home theaters”.

Edit: if you can swing it upgrade the Beam to the Arc

4Waters

Reaction score
The kilpsch sounds damn nice, I do have some questions so I am going to call them this week.

4Waters

Reaction score
My vote is Sonos. Their sound quality is one of the best. With this kit you can compete with most “home theaters”.

Edit: if you can swing it upgrade the Beam to the Arc

Out of stock everywhere I have looked so far

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Out of stock everywhere I have looked so far

Costco in Las Vegas has the sound bars and some other sonos stuff in stock....

Sound bank in havasu just installed a soundbar, sub, couple of amps, and tied in the built ins. The amps took a long time to get...but they usually have stock of the rest.

Edit...Also it sounds freaking amazing... I can also control it via app anywhere.

Last edited:

Yldboyz

Reaction score
You can buy some wireless dealios for speakers. I think they just have a little module that you mount near the speaker....meaning speaker wired to the module only...probably a power source....then probably another part that hooks up to your amps speaker input. Transmits signal wireless.

All the waves will make you go crazy, make sure you get these. .

Attachments

• tin.jpg
    tin.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 43

boatpi

Reaction score
But a month ago I bought an Epson 4K projector a 2022 model basically unimaginable clarity and brightness and an 18 foot inflatable screen for the yard. I’ll have to post it up next time it’s plain pretty fabulous you could even project from the rear of the screen.

JM21

Reaction score
I just did a full (almost) Sonos system.

Kitchen-2 in Ceiling speakers running on 1 Sonos amp
Living room-Arc sound bar and sub
Master bedroom-2 in ceiling speakers running off Sonos amp
Patio-2 14 inch Klipsch in ceiling speakers running off Sonos amp (went with the bigger speakers here as my patio is 65 feet long)
Pool area-Sonos Outdoor speakers running off Sonos amp
Garage-Another Arc and Sub
Master bathroom-I just did a plug and play Studio 1 so my wife can move it around if she wants to

I am more then impressed with the entire system. All runs so simple off the Sonos app and very very easy to set up.

wrighton

Reaction score
All great choices, I have HEOS by Dennon through out my house, I only use for music though, but the sound quality is very good and solid, really feels a room. I like the software as to play music on all speakers or allow for different music or content on other rooms. There are options to pair speakers together and add a wireless sub. I run the app of an old I pad.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I just did a full (almost) Sonos system.

Kitchen-2 in Ceiling speakers running on 1 Sonos amp
Living room-Arc sound bar and sub
Master bedroom-2 in ceiling speakers running off Sonos amp
Patio-2 14 inch Klipsch in ceiling speakers running off Sonos amp (went with the bigger speakers here as my patio is 65 feet long)
Pool area-Sonos Outdoor speakers running off Sonos amp
Garage-Another Arc and Sub
Master bathroom-I just did a plug and play Studio 1 so my wife can move it around if she wants to

I am more then impressed with the entire system. All runs so simple off the Sonos app and very very easy to set up.
Separate amps for each location?

pronstar

Reaction score
All great choices, I have HEOS by Dennon through out my house, I only use for music though, but the sound quality is very good and solid, really feels a room. I like the software as to play music on all speakers or allow for different music or content on other rooms. There are options to pair speakers together and add a wireless sub. I run the app of an old I pad.
I’m running a Denon home theater receiver, thru ceiling speakers and a sub.
It’s a quality receiver for sure 👍

I’m out of speaker outlets, though, so HEOS to my backyard runs through a different receiver.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Even if you did wireless rear speakers, dont you need a power source at your speaker location?

pronstar

Reaction score
Even if you did wireless rear speakers, dont you need a power source at your speaker location?

There are some that are battery powered and require periodic recharging…but most of them need wall power.

wrighton

Reaction score
I’m running a Denon home theater receiver, thru ceiling speakers and a sub.
It’s a quality receiver for sure 👍

I’m out of speaker outlets, though, so HEOS to my backyard runs through a different receiver.I
I guess that's what I like about the HEOS wireless set up. I just play off the app only on a IPAD, pandora, spotify, bluetooth, tune in radio, ect. I have a dedicated theater receiver , but seperate from the normal house music play.

pronstar

Reaction score
I guess that's what I like about the HEOS wireless set up. I just play off the app only on a IPAD, pandora, spotify, bluetooth, tune in radio, ect. I have a dedicated theater receiver , but seperate from the normal house music play.

For my setup, it’s all controlled via the HEOS app, so I don’t need another remote or app to control the outside receiver 👍

I leave it on all the time, the only thing I ever need to do is turn the receiver on after a power outage.

The receiver is actually a pretty badass, just a few years old, Harman Kardon home theater receiver that weighs a ton. I got it as a “press sample” years ago and I’m just happy I can put it to use.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

We have one of those near us. I have never been, but everyone I know that has been says it's pretty cool. They just added a full bar to one of the existing movie theaters also. The full bar is a great idea. No more sneaking alcohol in like an high schooler. LOL