WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yarnell hill fire...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I just watched a movie called Only the Brave. It's about a Hotshot crew in Prescott.

I thought I'd watch it cause my daughter's boyfriend is on a Hotshot crew based in Utah. A little lunch time entertainment for me.

Just finished the movie and I'm sitting here crying my eyes out...

What a tragic story of real men, brotherhood and loss.

Cheers to these brave souls who gave their lives.

4Waters

Reaction score
I just watched a movie called Only the Brave. It's about a Hotshot crew in Prescott.

I thought I'd watch it cause my daughter's boyfriend is on a Hotshot crew based in Utah. A little lunch time entertainment for me.

That movie is outstanding, a must watch for everyone.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If you are ever in the area and have the physical ability to do so, do the memorial hike that follows their route. The most tragic part is how close they got to refuge. In the below picture, the circle is the death site, the buildings about 400 yards away is the fireproof structure they were trying to make it to.

1629322870483.png

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I turned it on one night and like usual, I never make it through. Think I got half way through and the wife stayed awake to finish it. She was pissed the next morning about how she was crying her eyes out while I was snoring......

Yldboyz

Reaction score
That was a great movie but sad ending, I got chocked up watching it. My wife's father is a retired Chief of fire Savannah Ga. and that tragedy hit home to us.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
If you are ever in the area and have the physical ability to do so, do the memorial hike that follows their route. The most tragic part is how close they got to refuge. In the below picture, the circle is the death site, the buildings about 400 yards away is the fireproof structure they were trying to make it to.

View attachment 1039696

Were the details of a fireproof structure being 400 yards away in the movie? I do not remember that detail. Not that it changes anything, but I had no clue they were so close to shelter. What a tragedy. I agree @rivermobster, this one felt like you were cutting onions at the end.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I've watched it a few times, and it's a great movie. I have not been to the memorial, but will plan to visit and take the hike with my family one of these times when we are headed to Prescott.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Were the details of a fireproof structure being 400 yards away in the movie? I do not remember that detail. Not that it changes anything, but I had no clue they were so close to shelter. What a tragedy. I agree @rivermobster, this one felt like you were cutting onions at the end.

Not expressly stated in the movie as far as I remember, but the movie did show the widely speculated but impossible to confirm notion that Marsh made it to shelter but returned to his team.

Edited to add, below is the image from Google Earth. The path that currently exists from the memorial site to the structure was cut by bulldozers after the fire to assist with recovery and investigation. The owners of that property hikes up that path consistently to ensure the condition of the American Flag.

1629327589555.png

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The memorial is pretty surreal, a bit of a hike from the parking lot, for the elderly and if you are not in somewhat good shape it would be a problem. I recall the memorial being about a mile from the parking lot. There is an old guy who hangs out in the parking lot, lived in Yarnell for like 70 years, he provides lots of information to the people who stop to make the hike.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The memorial is pretty surreal, a bit of a hike from the parking lot, for the elderly and if you are not in somewhat good shape it would be a problem. I recall the memorial being about a mile from the parking lot. There is an old guy who hangs out in the parking lot, lived in Yarnell for like 70 years, he provides lots of information to the people who stop to make the hike.

7 miles roundtrip

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I remember that day, and when I heard...headed out to the river. There was a fire burning in the Hualapais as well.

There are many, many "Prescott 19" stickers on cars up here. What a lot of people don't realize is these hot shots up here don't make big money. Most of them here get fed while on shift, and a small stipend per call...but the tradeoff is the county will cover your gear, and pay for the fire academy and associated classes.

Most of this I just learned from a neighbor kid...well, early 20's. He does 72hrs a week, unless there is a call. If the call lasts 10 days, they stay on 10 days. Taylor, the young man, is working side jobs and such to support himself. He's a good kid, and has decided this is the way he wants to go.

poncho

Reaction score
We got hired by DNR when I was working excavation in the mid 90's for a big fire. We had several pieces of equipment and guy's up there and it was personal for most of us as it was basically some ones home or property that we all knew we were trying to protect.
Several weeks before I think it was Utah a fire ran up a hillside and caught several people that did not make it.
We were pretty damned frustrated that they kept pulling us out and off the fire when we clearly thought we were plenty far away.

After seeing that movie it makes a bunch more sense, we would have put ourselves in harms way i'm sure.

RIP to those guy's, definitely brave men.

4Waters

Reaction score
We got hired by DNR when I was working excavation in the mid 90's for a big fire. We had several pieces of equipment and guy's up there and it was personal for most of us as it was basically some ones home or property that we all knew we were trying to protect.
Several weeks before I think it was Utah a fire ran up a hillside and caught several people that did not make it.
We were pretty damned frustrated that they kept pulling us out and off the fire when we clearly thought we were plenty far away.

After seeing that movie it makes a bunch more sense, we would have put ourselves in harms way i'm sure.

RIP to those guy's, definitely brave men.
Not Utah, it was the South Canyon fire on Storm King Mountain in Colorado July 6 1994. It killed
11 Prineville Hotshots
3 Smokejumpers
Who couldn't outrun the fire that was approaching from below, they were running up hill for the ridge when the fire caught them roughly (can't remember exactly but they were close) 200 ft from the ridge. They also lost a helicopter as well on that fire killing 2 more firefighters.

cofooter

Reaction score
Tragic story, great movie. Crazy how the desert can burn like that. RIP heroes!

poncho

Reaction score
Not Utah, it was the South Canyon fire on Storm King Mountain in Colorado July 6 1994. It killed
11 Prineville Hotshots
3 Smokejumpers
Who couldn't outrun the fire that was approaching from below, they were running up hill for the ridge when the fire caught them roughly (can't remember exactly but they were close) 200 ft from the ridge. They also lost a helicopter as well on that fire killing 2 more firefighters.
Guess I should have known that, it was a long time ago. When I first got called out to the staging area with truck, trailer and D4 I was parked next to the hotshots in a county fair field, we were told we were 2 days out before deploy and we hung out together, that was not spoke of.

4Waters

Reaction score
Guess I should have known that, it was a long time ago. When I first got called out to the staging area with truck, trailer and D4 I was parked next to the hotshots in a county fair field, we were told we were 2 days out before deploy and we hung out together, that was not spoke of.
When you said mid 90's I knew exactly what fire it was.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We recently went to Prescott and drove through Yarnell and noticed signs for the memorial, I hadn’t really remembered when this happened, but after seeing this post yesterday my wife and I watched the movie last night and she was mad at me for making her cry right before going to bed. What a story, does anyone know how accurate the movie is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Shortly after this happened, my wife and I were driving home from Vegas and were on the 74, heading towards I-17 from Wickenburg. A few miles down the road we saw a bunch of red flashing lights and pulled over. One of the first trucks that passed was the Granite Mountain Fire Crew truck, followed by a bunch of trucks each carrying a coffin, draped in the American flag. My wife and I got out of the car and did our best to honor these men. After the procession passed, we got in the car and had one of the quietest drives home ever. It was an emotional experience and one I'll never forget.

HBCraig

Reaction score

That movie was freaking awesome

carrera202

Reaction score
We recently went to Prescott and drove through Yarnell and noticed signs for the memorial, I hadn’t really remembered when this happened, but after seeing this post yesterday my wife and I watched the movie last night and she was mad at me for making her cry right before going to bed. What a story, does anyone know how accurate the movie is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how accurate the movie is, but of course the movie guys have to get a lot of information in a short amount of time. Being a FF myself and seeing first hand the devastation of what a fire can do in a short amount of time is mind boggling. This incident happened on my birthday, its had to celebrate when a tragedy like this looms in the back of my mind.
Investigation reports help, but sometimes they get information wrong.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you think the movie is a tear jerker take the full hike as mentioned in this post. We did the whole hike and I was just numb afterwards. Words cant explain.
Whatever your belief system or faith may be, may make you feel differently.

I feel there are some places that are "hallowed ground". A place that has a way to make you feel respect for those lost there. Like the lost's energy or souls somehow left a mark on this world before moving on.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a tough movie to watch. Watched it once… that was enough.
Station 7 was across the street on 6th Street from the gym I operated. We trained most of the crew in our gym in the off season and they were in there daily. Became close with several of the guys and their families who frequented my classes. They were great, HARD working people who were always game to lend a hand in the community no questions asked. Their loss will be forever felt in my home town. There really aren’t words to describe it or how it feels.
if you ever come across any Hotshot crew be sure to take the time to thank them. They deserve it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Station 7 was across the street on 6th Street from the gym I operated. We trained most of the crew in our gym in the off season and they were in there daily. Became close with several of the guys and their families who frequented my classes. They were great, HARD working people who were always game to lend a hand in the community no questions asked. Their loss will be forever felt in my home town. There really aren’t words to describe it or how it feels.
if you ever come across any Hotshot crew be sure to take the time to thank them. They deserve it.

I'm not sure I could watch it again either. The ending killed me.

My daughter's boyfriend is on a Hotshot crew. He wants to be a smoke jumper next.

He loves what he does.👍

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My eyes are still leaking...

Just sent Tyro a text. Haven't talked to him for awhile. I'm sure he'll call me a big pussy. Fuck! 😭
If he responds, can you ask when I'm getting my RDP starter kit hat, beach towel, and drink coozy.

On a serious note, that will be my afternoon day off watch this week. 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If he responds, can you ask when I'm getting my RDP starter kit hat, beach towel, and drink coozy.

On a serious note, that will be my afternoon day off watch this week. 👍

LoL..

We talk regularly. He's a active structure fire fighter these days, with two young kids. He might be a bit too busy to put that kit together for you. But I'll try and remember to ask! 😁

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Met a hot shot crew leader in Sturgis this year, girl, very hot (no pun intended). She takes two weeks off each summer and makes a shit ton of money doing things with whip cream at one of the bars. She was a very bad ass gal, incredible shape, college grad, cool to hear her story and how much love she had for her crew, the “boys” as she referred to them.

I don’t think it would be appropriate to post her pics here in this thread.

Reaction score
Met a hot shot crew leader in Sturgis this year, girl, very hot (no pun intended). She takes two weeks off each summer and makes a shit ton of money doing things with whip cream at one of the bars. She was a very bad ass gal, incredible shape, college grad, cool to hear her story and how much love she had for her crew, the “boys” as she referred to them.

I don’t think it would be appropriate to post her pics here in this thread.

when did being appropriate become a requirement on RDP ?

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Not sure how accurate the movie is, but of course the movie guys have to get a lot of information in a short amount of time. Being a FF myself and seeing first hand the devastation of what a fire can do in a short amount of time is mind boggling. This incident happened on my birthday, its had to celebrate when a tragedy like this looms in the back of my mind.
Investigation reports help, but sometimes they get information wrong.

I'm curious if the surviving Hotshot helped with the film production as Marcus Luttrell helped direct Lone Survivor.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I have not yet made it to the memorial but will be going soon. Our chief has gone and placed a department patch there. I think every wildland fire fighter has seen the movie and it hits hard.

We constantly training in fire shelter deployment but it is one task we all hope we never have to do.

The movie does take some liberties but is fairly accurate.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A couple years back, we had a fire in the Bradshaws. The crews on rotation were from all over...and a makeshift "camp" was setup in the field by the school district office. I think people here automatically thought of the local boys that had been lost. Pizzas, burgers...stacks of sandwiches...were being delivered by the truck load. There is still a respect folks up here will have for a long time.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
True story. But some things deserve respect. Watch the movie and come back to this thread.

Peace.
Very true words. Finished the movie about an hour ago. I think it was done very well and showed a side of those fire fighters that most take for granted. Good movie and a nice tribute. That hike and memorial will be on my list of things to do for sure. 👍

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple years back, we had a fire in the Bradshaws. The crews on rotation were from all over...and a makeshift "camp" was setup in the field by the school district office. I think people here automatically thought of the local boys that had been lost. Pizzas, burgers...stacks of sandwiches...were being delivered by the truck load. There is still a respect folks up here will have for a long time.

I hope that never changes. I don’t think it will. Prescott holds things like that near and dear for a very long time.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hope that never changes. I don’t think it will. Prescott holds things like that near and dear for a very long time.
One of the things I really like here. A sense of community and respect. The ranchers with beat up trucks are treated as well as a retired banker with a Lamborghini. LE and firemen are respected like they were when I was a young kid.

I try not to tell people I came from California. With my speech/accent from traveling, definitely not the norm. I came here for what this place was...not ever to want to change it. It was the best decision my wife and I ever made. You were a lucky guy to have grown up here.

yz450mm

Reaction score
The 10 standard fire orders are the Bible for wildland firefighters, both on an engine and for the handcrew guys. Unfortunately, many of the orders are in place because of previous fatality incidents.

This is such a sad story, and I also feel bad for the lookout that was the only one that made it out alive. You can tell in the video that he is off, and probably will be for the rest of his life.

If you're in the mood for another sad but gut-wrenching video, watch this one. I knew quite a few of the guys in the video, my uncle was a chauffeur for FDNY on Rescue 4 for 15 years. He retired in March of 2001, otherwise he would have his name on the memorial. I spent many Summers going back and riding along with him on the Rescue, staying for the whole tour at the firehouse.

Screenshot_20210820-213003_Google.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
The 10 standard fire orders are the Bible for wildland firefighters, both on an engine and for the handcrew guys. Unfortunately, many of the orders are in place because of previous fatality incidents.

This is such a sad story, and I also feel bad for the lookout that was the only one that made it out alive. You can tell in the video that he is off, and probably will be for the rest of his life.

If you're in the mood for another sad but gut-wrenching video, watch this one. I knew quite a few of the guys in the video, my uncle was a chauffeur for FDNY on Rescue 4 for 15 years. He retired in March of 2001, otherwise he would have his name on the memorial. I spent many Summers going back and riding along with him on the Rescue, staying for the whole tour at the firehouse.

View attachment 1040703

Yup 10's and 18's used to know all of them in order by number, still know several but don't need to anymore.

20210820_214604.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the things I really like here. A sense of community and respect. The ranchers with beat up trucks are treated as well as a retired banker with a Lamborghini. LE and firemen are respected like they were when I was a young kid.

I try not to tell people I came from California. With my speech/accent from traveling, definitely not the norm. I came here for what this place was...not ever to want to change it. It was the best decision my wife and I ever made. You were a lucky guy to have grown up here.

Prescott knows it’s roots. It was a frontier town at its core with humble beginnings. Also a place where people from many walks have had to coexist since day one. It’s a place where, without the ranchers, there would have never been a need for bankers. White collar or blue collar the town will treat you the same within reason.
I appreciate your love for the place! I agree I was very fortunate to grow up in the way I did in the place I did. I hope the place never loses its roots and culture.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Prescott knows it’s roots. It was a frontier town at its core with humble beginnings. Also a place where people from many walks have had to coexist since day one. It’s a place where, without the ranchers, there would have never been a need for bankers. White collar or blue collar the town will treat you the same within reason.
I appreciate your love for the place! I agree I was very fortunate to grow up in the way I did in the place I did. I hope the place never loses its roots and culture.

Original (territorial) capital of Arizona. 1864. Rich in history.

Dan'l

h2o225

Reaction score
Been to the memorial several times. My dad lived in Wilhoit and was on the phone with me describing what he was seeing of the fire. I was on another fire in northern Ca. When the burn over was announced my Dad called me in tears to make sure I was good.
My good friend lost his brother on the Esparanza fire. Since his loss every October we hold a baseball tournament in honor of Engine 57.
We invited teams from Az to participate in the tournament for free several years after had one show up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1040703

Heart wrenching. 😔