WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Houston area

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
How else do you get quality NEWS.. than local RDP!!

Two Red voters leaving Cali. (My oldest son and DIL #1)

My DIL, has been offer a job at Houston Children hospital....

They will rent for months, while searching for a great community to raise their young family.. (my two Allstars Granddaughter)

Concerns
A. Flooding
B. 30 minute job commute.
C. Many areas are currently not building due to the material increases and shortages.

Thanks

Rick

81Sprint

Reaction score
I went to Katy High school, and my Dad still lives out in Katy (Cinco Ranch) it is a very nice area. Sugarland have nice areas but a little more commute if they are working in medical center, My dad works at St Lukes and he has about hour or so drive. My Uncle lives in Kemah, and he loves it

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We are building an Amazon in Katy I went up for a couple weeks killer places to eat

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
If it were me I would plan on making the Houston area a stepping stone. Maybe buy something, but nothing I would get too attached to. Houston is not where I would want to be for very long. Way too humid for me and being that close to the Gulf, the weather was tough on me and my broken bones. Not to mention the recent flooding from storm surges and so on.

Texas is a great state when you get to the north and west most parts of it. South and east, meh, not my thing. If there was a good job offer, well, I am realistic. Would put in my time and keep my options open, though. Just my $.02

shunter2005

Reaction score
Katy is fine and has been for years, but northwest area is also booming. Cy-Fair schools are good. Projected to be one of the biggest in the country in a few years. There are a lot of areas that flood all over the Houston area. Most any area in the central Houston (where TCH main location is) to the south and east are flood prone with several inches of rain or a hurricane in the area. West Houston toward Katy also will flood to some extent. Katy to Cinco ranch area is pretty nice. Northwest, out the 290 corridor has issues in certain areas, but overall higher and mostly dry. Stay away from Jersey Village proper. I live just north of Jersey Village and when Harvey blew through, we got almost 50" of rain. Jersey Village flooded a ton of homes. In our neighborhood the water barely got to the top of the curb. It's all about doing your research as to areas to live.

I have to assume you are talking about Texas Children's Hospital. Main location is in the Med Center. If DIL is going there to work, there are a ton of apts, condos, homes, etc., around the center for employees to live, but the area is somewhat flood prone. Word to the wise: If they move to an HISD school area, spend the extra money and put their kids in private schools. HISD has fallen into the same abyss as most large city schools. TCH has several satellite locations around the area, one in Katy that would be ideal to transfer to when she is able. I believe they have built one in the Woodlands also. If they can get transferred to one of those in a year or so, they can find some great locations within 30 min. of work.

Personally, I would NOT live inside the city limits of Houston, for any reason. They are beginning to tax the hell out of homeowners due to their ineptness with taxpayer money. City is broke and crying for money. If they have to move there, a longer commute would be the easiest thing for them to do. Most anywhere is accessible in an hour drive. PITA? Yes, but if they have a plan to get out of that shit in a year or so, the 'burbs would be the way to go. Way north, (Woodlands area), northwest (Cypress/CyFair) and way west (Katy/Cinco or further) only.

As a bonus, with all the world class hospitals in the Houston area, they are always looking for new staff. They pay well and from what I have heard they pay some hellacious bonuses to get good employees, like nurses. They rob each other all the time for employees. Just something to think about. My neighbor's daughter has worked for at least 4-5 different hospitals in the last 10 years. She hasn't ever had a new job without a big pay increase and a huge bonus.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My brother and SIL live in Cypress and love it. Beautiful area and good schools.

I lived in Sugarland and it was a great area, but that was awhile ago, so things may have changed.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Hey RDP'er

Just a bump....

99% #1 Son and family are heading to Texas...

Anymore RDP information to pass along....

We all will be on a houseboat for a week, starting July 26...

SUX FOR US!!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No help about Huston. Just wanted to say two things:
1)People that work for Children's hospitals I've been to are great. As a parent that spent lots of time in hospitals as an adult, and the more recent years taking kids to a Children's, lots of respect.

2)Maybe this move won't suck for Ma and Pa. It's an excuse to not work as much, maybe travel some. All things happen for a reason, even if you don't see it yet.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Tell them to bring an umbrella. Damn!!! We have seen rain almost every day for the last three weeks and plenty more before that. Emptied 6" out of my rain gauge yesterday morning. At least 2" more today. Humidity has been off the charts. As they say, "Air you can wear." I have lived here 60 years and I can't remember having so much rain in July. I know you guys out west are suffering, but damn, we need some relief. On the upside, the tropics are calm, so no tropical storms or hurricanes in the very "near" future.

Houseboat for a week??? I feel yore' pain!!! Lol...

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Make sure your horn on your vehicles work and practice giving the finger while driving, you'll look like a native.
P.S. Don't forget to tailgate.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've lived in Houston all my life and second shunter2005 comments. 30 min from the med center during regular rush hour is maybe 10 miles. I live in Spring on the northside and take the bus downtown and would advise this route. It's a trade off of space vs commute vs money. Space in the loop will have a low commute time but be expensive. Also if they are in HISD put kids into private schools.

Several rivers and bayous converge near downtown/med center area so the closer you get the more likely you are to have flooding. Tell them to ask if whatever home they are looking at flooded during Harvey. If it didn't they should be good to go. Most ads on HAR will list this as a selling feature anyway. Also if you go on the east side of town the closer you get to the cost the more potential issues with tropical
weather.

Im partial to anything north of I10 and west of 45 outside beltway 8.

If they really want cheap taxes they can move outside.of harris county but the commute will insane.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I've lived in Houston all my life and second shunter2005 comments. 30 min from the med center during regular rush hour is maybe 10 miles. I live in Spring on the northside and take the bus downtown and would advise this route. It's a trade off of space vs commute vs money. Space in the loop will have a low commute time but be expensive. Also if they are in HISD put kids into private schools.

Several rivers and bayous converge near downtown/med center area so the closer you get the more likely you are to have flooding. Tell them to ask if whatever home they are looking at flooded during Harvey. If it didn't they should be good to go. Most ads on HAR will list this as a selling feature anyway. Also if you go on the east side of town the closer you get to the cost the more potential issues with tropical
weather.

Im partial to anything north of I10 and west of 45 outside beltway 8.

If they really want cheap taxes they can move outside.of harris county but the commute will insane.
The Harris County taxes aren't all that bad. Well, mine aren't now that I am an old fart. However, the city of Houston taxes and services will kill you. They are beginning to raise the water rates again. They are already high, but expect them to double in the next five years. My brother lives inside city limits and his water bill is more than double what mine is.

Tell them to search for places, especially newer subdivisions that are not covered by municipal utility districts (MUD) districts, if possible. Depending on the area, it will add $1500 or more to your taxes each year.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Thanks RDP

The fam's coming over today for a pool day...

I'll show him this thread..

RDP ROCKS...

even in 2050

PaPaG

Reaction score
How else do you get quality NEWS.. than local RDP!!

Two Red voters leaving Cali. (My oldest son and DIL #1)

My DIL, has been offer a job at Houston Children hospital....

They will rent for months, while searching for a great community to raise their young family.. (my two Allstars Granddaughter)

Concerns
A. Flooding
B. 30 minute job commute.
C. Many areas are currently not building due to the material increases and shortages.

Thanks

Rick
My SIL lives in Bridgeland, Cypress for 10 years and loves it...my BIL lived there all his life. Amazing neighbors, neighborhood, really safe and family oriented. Great area but about 45 minutes away from Houston CH, no flooding concerns, went through the last Hurricane when everything was flooded without any issues. OH and AMERICA LOVING RED AS YOU CAN IMAGINE....

farmo83

Reaction score
The Harris County taxes aren't all that bad. Well, mine aren't now that I am an old fart. However, the city of Houston taxes and services will kill you. They are beginning to raise the water rates again. They are already high, but expect them to double in the next five years. My brother lives inside city limits and his water bill is more than double what mine is.

Tell them to search for places, especially newer subdivisions that are not covered by municipal utility districts (MUD) districts, if possible. Depending on the area, it will add $1500 or more to your taxes each year.

The guy 2 doors down at our lake house runs one of the biggest water public works companies in the eastern United States. He said Houston and Austin aren't in as bad of shape as the West but in the next 5 years our water infastructure will require massive investment and no one wants to spend the money. He's putting in a water plant to service a bunch of new planned neighborhoods around Sugar Land and the size of the plant doubled before they could turn in the bid.

As a stop gap they are going to build a water line from Lake Houston to Sugarland, lol.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Lake Conroe is nice buying an house there now.

I VBRO'd a house there a few years ago in the Walden area on the lake. Was only going to be for a month, ended staying for 3 months. Not a very big lake, and it gets rough, but the area was nice. I never thought the traffic was too bad, though we never went into Houston. As far as Texas, I've spent time in N Dallas & Austin - liked the Houston area much better from a road system/traffic standpoint.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I VBRO'd a house there a few years ago in the Walden area on the lake. Was only going to be for a month, ended staying for 3 months. Not a very big lake, and it gets rough, but the area was nice. I never thought the traffic was too bad, though we never went into Houston. As far as Texas, I've spent time in N Dallas & Austin - liked the Houston area much better from a road system/traffic standpoint.
Been scouting the Walden area myself as of late. Just can't justify spending the big money for half the home I have now. Really like Bentwater as it's newer, but high $$$. You are correct. Conroe is a washing machine on summer weekends. I keep our boat up there, but we only go during the week.

farmo83

Reaction score
I have heard the Corps is considering selling off lake front on Sommerville. If that happens I'll buy all I can.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Well its offical...

My DIL #1, accepted the job offer. The kids house sold in 2 days with a bidding war. 60k over asking.
Moving at the end of the month.

We will NOT be seeing these two STUDDLY Granddaughters on a regularly basis...

THIS SUX!!!!

Their main reason for the move....

They DON'T want to raise my Granddaughters in the current California state of affairs.

I DO get it!

But IT SUX!!!

20210804_105705.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I can understand the reasoning...at least it was more than a financial decision that effects the kids. It's a decision for the kids, that effects the finances. Like I said before, there are worse reasons for you to do some traveling, and worse places they could have gone.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Sad day today....
Son is off to Texas today. His Inlaws are helping with the move.
Daughter in law #1 and my two studdly Granddaughters staying behind for a few weeks with Grammy/Papa while everything gets situated.

California, just lost two Red voters. (Like that ever matter, Dems been stealing the votes since Arnold days)

Texas, picked up two gunslinger Red voters...

@monkeyswrench, start working on that private school.... our Country needs HELP

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@rmarion , I think things will happen in the near future that may set our country back a ways. Not just one or two "blue states". My wife literally has a semi trailer here on the property filled with stuff needed to teach from Pre-K to third grade. If she has to teach out of a barn, so be it. If I have to empty my shop to build some classrooms, that will be fine too. Dark days ahead, that is certain. If things get bad enough, may need to go "underground".

Adapt and overcome, just like your kids. The number one job of parenting is parenting. Too many people just let the schools do it...and we now see what happens.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Any chance of you moving to TX to tag along? I'm hoping my parents see the upgraded life when I move and decide to pack it up.
I need employment (medical insurance) for 3.5 yrs..(65), hopefully Medicare is still around after paying into it since 1975...

Our game plan #1;
sell out, purchase in Texas for our main residence... hopefully purchase two VRBO (Columbus. Ohio and HB. Ca (single wide)... spend a few months with each Son/DIL (in same city)... and change left over, maybe another rental in Havasu..(except we will be boatless)..

But, who knows what the future holds for us...

shunter2005

Reaction score
Sad day today....
Daughter in law #1 and my two studdly Granddaughters staying behind for a few weeks with Grammy/Papa while everything gets situated.

California, just lost two Red voters. (Like that ever matter, Dems been stealing the votes since Arnold days)

So, where did they decide to live or have they found a place yet?

Wedgy

Reaction score
Hope it all works out. It's hard moving away, having kids move off to college, where's a good place to land in the most necessary Exodus.

One thing is for sure, you will at some point need good medical.
When you're old anyways. Ha!
Best of Luck in the Promised Land!

Sure Houston checks that box.
Continuing Success Kids!!

JayBreww

Reaction score
Sad day today....

Did they at least get their recall vote in before the move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDQH2O

Reaction score
I need employment (medical insurance) for 3.5 yrs..(65), hopefully Medicare is still around after paying into it since 1975...

Our game plan #1;
sell out, purchase in Texas for our main residence... hopefully purchase two VRBO (Columbus. Ohio and HB. Ca (single wide)... spend a few months with each Son/DIL (in same city)... and change left over, maybe another rental in Havasu..(except we will be boatless)..

But, who knows what the future holds for us...

Good plan. We did essentially that two years ago and haven't looked back. The move has been one of the best decisions that our kid's families, one in N Houston and one in N Dallas, have made.

Good luck to all.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
So, where did they decide to live or have they found a place yet?
They have a 6 month rental lease. They found a new build track they like. But construction has halted. Will check out all areas while renting

I have shown him this thread... appreciate all information.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Might have them check out Kingwood and Atascocita (sp?) areas. Little closer to Houston than some of the others mentioned, but still pretty decent areas.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Might have them check out Kingwood and Atascocita (sp?) areas. Little closer to Houston than some of the others mentioned, but still pretty decent areas.
Not sure about Atascocita, but Kingwood floods A LOT.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Did you build the Amazon fulfillment center in Simi?
No we did a delivery there , we now went back to our La one and it’s going to be robotics and we have one going in Compton . Not sure where I’m going next I just put in for 12 days off I’ll be finished here Friday until the clowns out side get us power we are running on a 2 meg gen with a 2 meg back up on a transfer switch at 25k a week 👍😎

4Waters

Reaction score
No we did a delivery there , we now went back to our La one and it’s going to be robotics and we have one going in Compton . Not sure where I’m going next I just put in for 12 days off I’ll be finished here Friday until the clowns out side get us power we are running on a 2 meg gen with a 2 meg back up on a transfer switch at 25k a week 👍😎
Good, then I have no reason to hate you🤣. The traffic is absolutely horrible on Tapo Canyon now because of Amazon.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Good, then I have no reason to hate you🤣. The traffic is absolutely horrible on Tapo Canyon now because of Amazon.
Lol we have one in Sonoma California 7 weeks from opening built at end of a 2 lane road like 20 miles out of town they shut it down boarded up the windows and walked away no one wanted it lawyers will fight it out . Everyone want Amazon no one wants them in there neighborhood