WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOTO vs Desert Storm

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Is it just me or does LOTO just get bigger and better every year while Desert Storm doesn’t ever seem to improve in comparison over the years? If I had a million dollar boat I don’t think I would bother with the expense of attending DS when you have so many other events that are much more organized to spend your time on money on.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
It's closer for me to LOTO and I've never been disappointed or ran into issues. Busy, but more easy going being in the Midwest.
Both both events are great but different to me. 👍

Reactions: DWC

hallett21

Reaction score
What would you like to see at Desert Storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It’s a fine event but you would think the organizers would have goals for it to evolve into something bigger and better each year. Too me it just seems the same every year.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

I love DS. I'd like to see it a bit earlier in the the year when it's cooler. 😎

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Typically not having goals is a bad thing in business.

Agree on that for sure.

But aren't they only in the second year with the new promoter? Or has it been longer than that?

And last year, all everyone did was bitch. All the Karen's were out in full force.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'd venture to say a good portion of the bitching tends to be a 'regional' thing.
I know there are no geographical boundaries for complainers, but from my experience the west tends to have a better share of them.

Case in point, I ran saltwater fishing events for 15 years from Santa Barbara to San Diego, during the off-season we had a decent size event we held for a few years in the parking lot of a local tackle store.
We brought in vendors to show-off and demo new products, we'd have 5 or 6 of the local sponsored sticks bring there trailered center consoles to show the rigging and set-ups. We had hourly seminars, by some of the better anglers with free raffle prizes at the conclusion of each speaker, (rods, reels, tackle, clothing gift certs etc)

We also had a free BBQ, Chicken, Brauts, drinks, Taco Carts etc . . . . . It wasn't a 'big deal' but we'd get 400-500 people to attend. The store loved it cause they ran some specials and made lots of sales . . . . all that and people STILL complained . . . 'No Sugar Free Drinks'? 'Is there any coke I don't drink Pepsi'? . . . 'Why is so-and-so speaking last, I have to go to work'? . . . I mean total bullshit ticky-tack complaints,

After the event one year my partner at the time said the funniest thing ever as we were cleaning up . . . he said, "You know . . . you could hand every one of these fuckers a $20 as they walk through the door, and the next year when you handed them another $20 they'd look at it and say, 'What , no $50 ??? you gave us a $20 last year"!
I laughed my ass-off so hard cause he NAILED-IT . . . 95% of people have zero clue at how much work goes into making an event go off . . . especially the free ones.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
In a nutshell, People are just “nicer” in the midwest. Every time I watch this from home, I pray someday that I can hang my hat on a house there on the lake with a dock and balcony. Thats all I need.

Desert Storm, I have no desire to attend anymore. Its a shit show and just doesnt welcome you like this LOTO event does.

My .02

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Have been pondering this very same question and it seams we’re comparing apples to oranges.

Diff in lake size and age of the events is enormous.

I haven’t had much luck reading about the history of DS the last few days. Anybody have links to some good info?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
No good viewing on the water for desert storm is why it isn’t good. Plus no destinations like LOTO has. You have pirates and topock. Ehhhh. Shootout is a complete joke at DS too

gqchris

Reaction score
No good viewing on the water for desert storm is why it isn’t good. Plus no destinations like LOTO has. You have pirates and topock. Ehhhh. Shootout is a complete joke at DS too
I am glad someone said it :) It sucks. Plain and Simple.

The only redeeming part of it is a chance to meet up with friends.

River918

Reaction score
LOTO is heads and shoulders ahead of Desert Storm due to the accessibility of the lake. With thousands of homes on the water, water accessible bars/restaurants, and countless launch ramps, getting on and off the water will always have it ahead of anything Lake Havasu can offer. I love Havasu, but LOTO just seems to be on another level. Can’t wait to make it out there one year.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I visited LOTO last month for the first time. Just for a day, no boat. I was blown away by the shear number of restaurants, marinas, bars, resorts, etc on that lake. Tons of condo complexes with the full marina, having a little vacation pad on the water would be super easy there.

I agree with @River918 the accessibility to the lake is way beyond Havasu. Not gonna sit in a 2hr line at the launch ramp.

All that being said, if I had to pick, I’d go to DS every year

hallett21

Reaction score
Oh I don't know, maybe a shootout that actually happens.

Lol fair enough.

Personally I think there’s too much partying over the weekend and half the drivers are too hungover to participate 🤣.

DS shootout needs announcers as well as better organization. Didn’t help that they used faulty radar guns either [emoji15]

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Lol fair enough.

Personally I think there’s too much partying over the weekend and half the drivers are too hungover to participate 🤣.

DS shootout needs announcers as well as better organization. Didn’t help that they used faulty radar guns either [emoji15]

All adds to why LOTO is better than DS

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LOTO is heads and shoulders ahead of Desert Storm due to the accessibility of the lake. With thousands of homes on the water, water accessible bars/restaurants, and countless launch ramps, getting on and off the water will always have it ahead of anything Lake Havasu can offer. I love Havasu, but LOTO just seems to be on another level. Can’t wait to make it out there one year.

Kinna what I was thinking too, they are both very different events.

But I also get what Walt is saying, they really should step up their game and try and get more vendors and boats at the street fair!

But DW is spot on as well. We had a booth at the SSSS show for a couple years. Unreal amount of work, time and money. For pretty much zero apprication.

I hope the promotors put on a great show this spring. It's always my favorite event, and I appreciate all the work that goes into it.

Including all the work that RD and Stacy do!

👍

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
The shear number of boats that are on LOTO makes a big difference
The amount of places you can stay is mind blowing
When bars have slips that hold 100 boats
You want to park at pirates you have to pay

pull up to a bar in loto and you have smoking hot girls welcoming you and helping you get tied up in a slip
It’s a whole different world
You have so many options at loto

Singleton

Reaction score
LOTO = is all about the shootout. The street fair and other activities are gaining ground.

DS = was all about first to card stop 1. Once that was removed, it become all about the Street Party. IMO, the poker run and shootout are after thoughts for DS now and everyone comes for the Street Party.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I enjoy desert storm, and before the Covid hiccup it seemed to be getting bigger every year. Havasu does not have the infrastructure, and sheer volume of shoreline housing and destinations that LOTO has, but it’s bad ass either way and I always have a blast .

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It’s a fine event but you would think the organizers would have goals for it to evolve into something bigger and better each year. Too me it just seems the same every year.
I think most of their time & energy went to simply having an event this year with all the Covidity happening. What makes LOTO so much better? Never been so I’m clueless!!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I am sure it is a different and better event.

Their boating season is shorter there, so is that also part of the draw and need to make the event better and better every year?

Hammer

Reaction score
Is it just me or does LOTO just get bigger and better every year while Desert Storm doesn’t ever seem to improve in comparison over the years? If I had a million dollar boat I don’t think I would bother with the expense of attending DS when you have so many other events that are much more organized to spend your time on money on.

I think the organizers could do a lot better job with coverage and even promotion. Events are a lot of hard work, in my opinion DS deserves the attention do detail and excitement the other events like LOTO bring. DS is expected to be just as great as all the others it’s not just a MFG Regatta. It needs to try and measure up to all other events in the country, or be better. With LOTO you can check in on almost any social media platform and get a great idea of what’s going on. DS, not so much. Street fair would be easy to do some sort of Live stream like Dave did a few years back.

It’s also become stagnant. The run to Card Stop 1 was a huge pull for people to come watch or check in to see who got their first. With the speed limits set and not letting the big guys run full tilt it’s become an under achieving event while the rest of the countries events are becoming must do’s. The shoot out isn’t cool enough to go watch, they should shelve it or make some changes to make it more exciting.

Every event gets thrown curveballs or some sort of limitations that are out of their control. It’s up the promoter/organizer to adjust and improve the event the following year.

Hopefully they can get creative and improve it.

IMO Super Cat Fest West has all the ingredients to make a great event moving forward. I was actually bummed I chose DS over that event.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
LOTO = is all about the shootout. The street fair and other activities are gaining ground.

DS = was all about first to card stop 1. Once that was removed, it become all about the Street Party. IMO, the poker run and shootout are after thoughts for DS now and everyone comes for the Street Party.

100% Agree. I was a participant last DS. My boat had mechanical issues so never did any on water events.

However....

the Street Fair, what a complete goat rope.

Skater boats paid mine and Skater Mikes 438 entries, as representing Skater Boats. We were supposed to be nose to tail in the middle of the action. We were in fact the 2 newest Skaters out of Douglas.
As it turned out, we were 6 displays apart and way in the F out in the nosebleed section.

MTI, DCB, Eliminator etc, we’re all clustered in big groups.
No one can convince me it wasn’t political.

DS, never again. Besides that, when was the last shootout that wind didn’t become a factor?

I’ll do SCFW next year. Hopefully LOTO as well.
SMH...

Singleton

Reaction score
100% Agree. I was a participant last DS. My boat had mechanical issues so never did any on water events.

However....

the Street Fair, what a complete goat rope.

Skater boats paid mine and Skater Mikes 438 entries, as representing Skater Boats. We were supposed to be nose to tail in the middle of the action. We were in fact the 2 newest Skaters out of Douglas.
As it turned out, we were 6 displays apart and way in the F out in the nosebleed section.

MTI, DCB, Eliminator etc, we’re all clustered in big groups.
No one can convince me it wasn’t political.

DS, never again. Besides that, when was the last shootout that wind didn’t become a factor?

I’ll do SCFW next year. Hopefully LOTO as well.
SMH...

SCFW has huge potential and IMO DS is heading in the wrong direction. Too many other events planned around DS, and as a DS participant you end up missing others activities, which is going to impact participation IMO.
Monster Bash is cool for my family and we will focus on that next year (wife has a conflict this year, so dad/daughter only this year).

Joe mama

Reaction score
The shear number of boats that are on LOTO makes a big difference
The amount of places you can stay is mind blowing
When bars have slips that hold 100 boats
You want to park at pirates you have to pay

pull up to a bar in loto and you have smoking hot girls welcoming you and helping you get tied up in a slip
It’s a whole different world
You have so many options at loto
With that nice 42X Cig I’m sure you’ll have plenty hot chicks trying to tie you up.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
My first post in 3 years will be to talk shit on DS, lol. Used to be a blast and some of my best Havasu memories. One of my boats was named "Party Emergency" after a story made at the street party. Ran it 3 times. Wouldn't do it again. Back then I was ran out of the room for telling the truth, glad ya'll can talk about it without all the drama now!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
"The grass is always greener on the other side"

I've been to both, but only as a spectator at LOTO. I have some friends who have their boats there and have spent a fair amount of time on the water there. The lake is BUSY, but it has many options that havasu just doesn't have. Shoreline homes, big bars all over the lake, plenty of dock space, and a CENTRAL location.

DS is what it is. I did the Poker run this year, we will be at monster storm as well. I am doubting it for next year just because we want to do other events and explore other lakes (up north). DS logistically is a big expense...even with having a home there its a solid week off work (2 this year bc of SCF), its 1200 miles each way of driving, tons of fuel, misc costs, parties etc. Not to mention the Entry costs. Anyone non west coast will have to decide if its "worth it" & to me it wasn't (it was fun but not that much fun) That 2 weeks cost me more than our month long trip to MT/ID/WA this year... The event itself felt assembly line to me....and its very cliquey... What happened with @nganga was kinda fucked up to put it bluntly, and it was obviously political. Favoritism and the good ol boy network is very evident but its their event to run as they wish, and lets face it that shit runs rampant in Havasu.

3 things that need to happen...1. Dedicated Ramp time/location for launching. I had to send @Shlbyntro to the drivers meeting over that shit show. I will not participate again without either a slip or ramp that participants can use easily without fighting the crowds...this is how my boat got tagged this year.
2. control the channel if you are going to do a parade....that was a mess....nobody knew what was going on and the staging area was a joke. I'd never do that again..ill just wait at takeoff for my group. 3. Clarity...it just seemed hodge podge. I had fun, but it would have been much more fun without some of the bullshit.

I think the organizers are doing what they can with the resources they have. They also dealt with a ton of uncertainty over Covid restrictions, that held till last minute..They were pretty clear on a "Live" after the shootout drama that if you have suggestions to please tell them. DS is a "west coast" event...it will never draw the crowds of a central location or east coast/FL event IMO (who knows though). One of the guys who had his boat in the SCF parking lot meet and I chatted for a few min about why they weren't staying for DS... I'll paraphrase but he essentially called it a shitshow...and honestly I agree..especially this last one, and it was mostly bc of the spectator boats. I had to shut down 3x over morons criss crossing the lake in front of us. There was ZERO course control during the poker run... SCFW after a couple years should be a great event...it will give DS a run for their money.

As far as the course from Thompson bay as brought up....they spoke publicly about this and the course length... INSURANCE is the issue.

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Havasu is only so big. It is already a cluster if you want to launch. If all you want to do is spectate, the options are limited.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
In a nutshell, People are just “nicer” in the midwest. Every time I watch this from home, I pray someday that I can hang my hat on a house there on the lake with a dock and balcony. Thats all I need.

Desert Storm, I have no desire to attend anymore. Its a shit show and just doesnt welcome you like this LOTO event does.

My .02

This is spot on. Just finished my 1st LOTO Shootout and had a blast. I couldn't make the street fair the other night. The number of waterfront establishments you can visit is fantastic. DS, in my opinion, is more for the look at me crowd and a ton of off-water events. LOTO is way more about on-water events, charitable runs, & supporting the local communities.
I am BEYOND thrilled to call Sunrise Beach my permanent home.

gqchris

Reaction score
My first post in 3 years will be to talk shit on DS, lol. Used to be a blast and some of my best Havasu memories. One of my boats was named "Party Emergency" after a story made at the street party. Ran it 3 times. Wouldn't do it again. Back then I was ran out of the room for telling the truth, glad ya'll can talk about it without all the drama now!

What up Brian!!!! Many of memories with Party Emergency!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Desert Storm reached its pinnacle years back when Jim was running it. He gave so much of himself to that even it actually landed him in the hospital a few times.. As a friend I’m glad he’s rid of it, it would have killed him had he kept it personally.

As for DS vs LOTO.. That’s not really fair.. Anyone of the larger bars in LOTO has more docks and infrastructure then pretty much all of Havasu. I try to explain to my friends how big some of those facilities are and you can’t really understand until you see it for yourself.

Barrett Custom Marine is a large facility in Havasu.. when you goto PBC you don’t grasp how big it is until you see rows and rows of the same boats inside a building.. 4 of those same boats would fill up our largest shop.

It’s a surreal experience idling through tie ups that are MILES long.. Even weirder when you pull up and they split boats and you back into the middle of one of those tie ups.

I can write a small novel on the differences in boating but as it is said above the dock girls.. The entire attitude is different. Everyone is extremely friendly.

Event vs Event.. The Desert Storm street party is much better than anything else in the country. LOTO is working on there’s but in a weird twist of fate there are some rules & regulations that won’t allow it to ever become what ours is..

I have been involved with DS a long time. I helped behind the scenes with SCFW.

I think a lot of you guys aren’t really understanding SCFW. It is very low key and a relaxed style deal. No poker run.. primarily a dock party and a charity fundraiser, with a lunch run thrown in.

SCFW has a ton of potential to become a premier west coast event.. that could be said for any event though as there is a ton of unrealized potential out here.

Before ya doubt.. Think about the Lake Powell Challenge. Popped up on the quick and was raising a half a million dollars for charity each ear before certain people got greedy and fucked the whole thing up. Now add in some other things (George passing and the cops trying to run the event out of town) and that’s ripe for someone to take a similar thing and turn it into something..

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Long time no talk stranger! Hope everything is going well in your world

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
No one will ever take DS in Havasu serious until there is rack storage, which will be never. 🤪
Rack storage. Lol. Agreed plus another large full service marina with a good breakwater, facilities, restaurant and bar plus other waterfront restaurants and bars and lighten up on the relentless easy kill po po entrapment shit to generate revenue by multiple LE agencies. O yea, and import labor. The type that actually likes to sho up to work with a smile. I’m sick of people in the service industry acting like they’re doing me a favor by being there. Dnt get me wrong. Its not everyone everywhr but i’ve been going to Havasu for a long time and I’m there frequently and I feel like this is always been an issue which has definitely gotten worse with Covid and now the current government shit sho. Also need to mow more sea grass and do more dredging🤷🏻‍♂️

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Desert Storm reached its pinnacle years back when Jim was running it. He gave so much of himself to that even it actually landed him in the hospital a few times.. As a friend I’m glad he’s rid of it, it would have killed him had he kept it personally.

As for DS vs LOTO.. That’s not really fair.. Anyone of the larger bars in LOTO has more docks and infrastructure then pretty much all of Havasu. I try to explain to my friends how big some of those facilities are and you can’t really understand until you see it for yourself.

Barrett Custom Marine is a large facility in Havasu.. when you goto PBC you don’t grasp how big it is until you see rows and rows of the same boats inside a building.. 4 of those same buildings would fill up our largest shop.

It’s a surreal experience idling through tie ups that are MILES long.. Even weirder when you pull up and they split boats and you back into the middle of one of those tie ups.

I can write a small novel on the differences in boating but as it is said above the dock girls.. The entire attitude is different. Everyone is extremely friendly.

Event vs Event.. The Desert Storm street party is much better than anything else in the country. LOTO is working on there’s but in a weird twist of fate there are some rules & regulations that won’t allow it to ever become what ours is..

I have been involved with DS a long time. I helped behind the scenes with SCFW.

I think a lot of you guys aren’t really understanding SCFW. It is very low key and a relaxed style deal. No poker run.. primarily a dock party and a charity fundraiser, with a lunch run thrown in.

SCFW has a ton of potential to become a premier west coast event.. that could be said for any event though as there is a ton of unrealized potential out here.

Before ya doubt.. Think about the Lake Powell Challenge. Popped up on the quick and was raising a half a million dollars for charity each ear before certain people got greedy and fucked the whole thing up. Now add in some other things (George passing and the cops trying to run the event out of town) and that’s ripe for someone to take a similar thing and turn it into something..
I have not heard if the LPC is on or not this year? We were supposed to go but with all of the water drama we cancelled, did they cancel the event for water / covid?

Singleton

Reaction score
I have not heard if the LPC is on or not this year? We were supposed to go but with all of the water drama we cancelled, did they cancel the event for water / covid?

it says yes - but the with the lake level, etc the interest is down. We were going as it’s my birthday weekend, but cancelled due to water level. I worked the houseboat rental docks in college and want to share that with my daughter, but the lake is so much different now.

LAKE POWELL CHALLENGE 2021
Our 12th annual Lake Powell Challenge will resume September 16-19, 2021

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
As someone who participated in this year's DS poker run, I will throw in my 2¢.

Street fair is off the hook and our group had a ton of fun. Every bar/restaurant was jam packed and the vibe was awesome. The welcoming cocktail hour at Kokomo was fun and had a great time meeting other participant's from all over the country. The staging for the boat parade and start of the poker run was an absolute shit show and I will never do it again unless they come up with a better plan. The poker run itself was fun, but a little anti climatic. Because of the shit show, most of our run group never made it and there was only 5 boat's in our group. The absolute best part of the poker run was the helicopter photo stop! The card opening party at Kokomo was eeh and so was the closing banquet.

Overall we had a great time and we would do it again, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. I am strongly considering doing Loto next year and see what that event is all about.

3309~2.jpeg

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
@RiverDave pretty much nailed it. Dessert storm at one point was the largest poker run in the country (the world for that matter) and brought every high end builder (boat motor trailer etc) that had to be there to showcase their products from all over the country. The poker run at one time would beat out Stus runs in Florida for numbers of boats at well over 200 when even the key west worlds werent getting those numbers. Plus you had the poker run, shoot out, street party and they even had offshore races at the peak of it all. Just crazy. There was no other events in the country doing all that. Jim really did an amazing job. I think the new organizers are having some growing pains but it’s still a premier event that draws people from all over the country.

I talk to a bunch of different people that come from all over the nation. It’s on most every serious boaters bucket list. And a lot of those guys say they’ll be back. There’s definitely an allure to the lake and the scenery. A lot of the east coast guys complain that havasu is too small but they come back. Lol.

LOTO is a different monster. I wouldn’t say lake wise which one is “better or worse” that’s a tough call. They’re so different. And since I’ve never been to the shoot out I can’t compare it to desert storm but I can compare DS the the cigarette rendezvous. PBC runs that and they do a fantastic job but it’s a bit more loosely run I’d say. More old school poker run style where you have a coupe runs. A lunch and a big party at the end of the weekend. As others have stated, the big thing lake wise loto vs havasu is the bars! Boating in LOTO is you get on the boat, hall ass for a while. Get to the bar, dock up and go stand in a pool and drink and eat. Then Jump back into the boat and run to the next bar to stand in the pool and drink and eat and party. It’s awesome. I was at the bar at Kokomo’s on Saturday during supercat fest west and bullshitting with a buddy and his friends from Oklahoma. We were above the pool and he could NOT get over why there wasn’t 100 people wading in the pool like in LOTO. I couldn’t explain it. It’s just not what they do on havasu.

LOTO also doesn’t have any beaches, sand bars or beach Ike shoreline so there’s no beaching up. There’s a few quite coves to anchor up in that aren’t lines with houses but for the most part the lake is STUPID ROUGH (especially on event weekends) with confused water bouncing all over the place and 4’ holes created by the 80’ sea Ray plowing down the lake. And then there’s the water itself. Havasu has such beautiful clean water. LOTO, not so much. People aren’t in the lake as much as they are in havasu.

It’s funny, there was a HUGE LOTO vs Havasu thread on OSO a long time ago with all the Midwest boys ribbing the havasu guys and vice versa. Pretty entertaining actually. Point being, this discussion is nothing new.

But like everything, things come in waves of popularity. Right now I would wager LOTO is the performance boating capital of the world. A lot of that has to do with performance boat center recently. They’re huge and continue to grow and bring more attention to that lake. They seriously have some sort of event or run going about every other weekend all summer. Not to mention they’re buying up the whole cove theyre in, building rental houses as well as always expanding. They do concierge service, storage, slips, boat rentals, bars restaurants etc etc. they are at the top of their game.

I will say, big advantage havasu has over LOTO though is you can comfortably boat on havasu for 8 months of the year. LOTO, not so much.

Both great places to boat. I’d highly recommend anyone that hasn’t boated on LOTO to get out there and do it. It’s an amazing lake. As others stated the people are just fantastic too. We look forward to going back every year.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Tank/RD,

What do you think would help DS be better ? Is there something that LOTO offers that DS can incorporate?

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sometimes bigger is not better... All I ever hear is "remember when Lake Havasu was like this....or when Parker was like that"... Although I like the street fair...it is kind of cool that it still fits on the main st in Havasu .....if it gets bigger where is it gonna be....Where the boat show is at... When things get bigger I tend to check out... Although it may be good for business to get bigger....... That does not translate what's good for business is good for me... I tend to like small concert venues, small floating dock bars, and just a big enough crowd to have fun..... The bigger the event the less intimate and personal it is and the bigger the cluster fock.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank/RD,

What do you think would help DS be better ? Is there something that LOTO offers that DS can incorporate?

I think maybe just more organization. Ease for participants is huge. I think “cluster Fuck" is a common phrase used a lot when people describe DS. It doesn’t necessarily need to be bigger. It’s pretty big. Maybe just better. And that can happen via better organization and ease for those participating.

Last edited: