WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Road Trip - unexpected

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I really don’t like driving on holiday weekends. Find most don’t know rules of the road on any day of the week and only get worse on big weekends.

However, I find myself on a unexpected road trip this weekend. Won’t say from where—I will leave that til the end. Figure I would post pics on the way giving some clues of location.

Another mystery will be in the car. Some may know what kinda car as I’ve posted about looking for one for some time now.

So to start. Found car online. Posting was so new—there were no photos yet. By the time I saw the add, the dealership was closed, so I sent them messages and they replied bright and early that the car was NO LONGER FOR SALE.

The car is owned by the dealerships owner and he was having sellers remorse even before he sold it. I threw some more money at him and we made a deal.

Red eye, one way trip outta Vegas and we’re off.

hman442

Reaction score
Sounds like a good time, neat to be excited over a new car.

Last edited:

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
We went to Pahrump on Thursday to pick up a 5th wheel trailer only saw 6 cars and 1 truck on the 127 was awesome. Left there at 11:00 to drive back home to Aguanga. 40 miles out of Pahrump and my brake controller went out. My little F150 is bad ass but not bad ass enough to stop 9250 down the 15 . So we turned around and drove back to Pahrump and bought a new controller. Wife and oldest kid wanted to stop at Eddie world. Why would you not have pull through parking spots.
20210902_120759.jpg
20210902_120655.jpg
20210902_135638.jpg
20210902_135633.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
So been a long day.
Took red eye outta Vegas and slept maybe two hours on the flight.
Here is my landing.
IMG_0887.jpg

My sales guy is the executive assistant to the dealership owner and also does sales. Took us about 10 minutes to find each other.
65244510275__F4498EF4-92BE-4F82-84AE-9CDF1F1E4CB0.jpg

They have 26 locations and yes—did see new suburbans on their lot. They have about 3000 cars currently—they usually keep about 6000

Almost two hour drive to dealership. Walk the car, drive it and sign about 10 pages and I’m off.
First stop—breakfast.. Wow prices are cheap too..
IMG_0890.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Highways are open. Roads a bit tore up in some spots.
IMG_0891.jpg

Heading to a place with some significance to this car. So only a very small clue which some of you may figure out. Shhhh
IMG_0934.jpg

More pics of that later…

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Very uneventful drive so far..
Blurry pic but that’s an AR hanging on his gun rack.
IMG_0940.jpg

There gonna 10 happy people in the world very soon..
IMG_0941.jpg

Had to go to Walmart. Didn’t know they still sell land lines. Maybe it’s cause the area?
IMG_0935.jpg

Here the choice dress attire for women is an old Harley Davidson t-shirt. Men are just happy if they can pull there pants over their ass. Seems like 90% of the people around here are severely obese.

I have seen more flip phones (not joking) since I landed then I have in the last two years.

I have seen only one Asian.

I exited the freeway on the exit that said it had services and was dropped off it the WRONG neighborhood. BLM murals. Homeless everywhere. Flocks of gang members watching me drive by. Flipped a bitch so fast and made my way back to freeway which forced me to drive by even more Gangstas. Did not wait for the lights to turn green—just went through when no traffic-yeah it was that bad..

WYRD

Reaction score
They must have a lot of faith in people's stopping skills at that parking garage:eek:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Guess you missed Hypnautic's request for 🤫

Since you let the cat our of the bag --- Is that large dark circle the site of that sinkhole that swallowed several cool vettes ????

Yes, he let the cat out of the bag. LOL. THe sinkhole was in the yellow cone shaped building. We were there within months of the catastrophe. Had a couple fo the damaged cars on display.

RichL

Reaction score
I might have been across the previously pictured bridge a couple of times when picking up a boat ;)

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Guess you missed Hypnautic's request for [emoji2958]

Since you let the cat our of the bag --- Is that large dark circle the site of that sinkhole that swallowed several cool vettes ????

Oops! Sorry dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Close. But not exact..
Yes that’s the Corvette Museum. Nothing wrong with trying to figure it out. I will give clues about car without revealing it.
Place is incredible. Local car show was happening when I arrived too.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Tapatalk not letting me post pics. But I will share once I can.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
They must have a lot of faith in people's stopping skills at that parking garage:eek:

There about 12 cables that run in front plus the curb stops. Funny when I left this AM I had to look at it..

Hypnautic

Reaction score
If your ever driving cross country on the 40 and you find yourself at the OK and AR border. Stop in a El Lorito Mexican. Some of the best Mexican food I e had.
IMG_1005.jpg

Smashed it.

Time to get back on the road..

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
If your ever driving cross country on the 40 and you find yourself at the OK and AR border. Stop in a El Lorito Mexican. Some of the best Mexican food I e had.
View attachment 1045969

Smashed it.

Time to get back on the road..
Hope u have insurance with you, hate to see you lose a sock after that meal.

WYRD

Reaction score
What's the deal with all the wrecked Corvettes

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Yesterday was a tough day.
Pulled into Oklahoma. Plan to take pics at Capital, go to National Memorial and Rte 66 museum.

Made it to Capital building and took pics. When I was leaving at new C8 pulled up, local husband and wife that just took delivery and were out also taking pics with their car.

Off to the Oklahoma Memorial.
Then this thing jumped out at me.
IMG_1017.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but that hole is about 10x14 and about 3-4” deep. Took about all of 3 seconds to lose air pressure.

Pulled into parking lot and called for roadside assistance. Forgot to mention it’s Sunday after3 on a holiday weekend. F@ck!!

Insurance company looked online for me and found WalMart was still open til 6pm. Now I have to call and see if they have this tire size..
First store. Nope. But they do have a tire that size that a customer ordered. Asked if they would call that customer and ask if I could buy it due to situation. Nope again.

Second store. Sat on hold for over 30 minutes trying to get the shop to answer. Get transferee all around to every department but the automotive. Finally a worker hears my struggle and puts the phone down and walks over to that department to get someone there to answer and help.

Auto Dept guy, Austin, answers—I tell him what’s happened. No tires that size. I ask him to check for tire size just off from what I’m looking for. 235/45R19. Success he found a 235/50R19. Problem—they are closed. That’s why no one answered. Beg, plead and he gets his managers approval to work OT. SHIT no tow truck yet. Fuck it—these are run flats and store is 9 miles away. I limp it in.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Drive all night Sunday to make it to Albuquerque at 3am..drive was plagued by trucks passing each other by driving 1mph faster than the other.
IMG_1025.jpg

Wake up 6 hours later. Shower, dress and go get car washed. Whoa.. Breaking Bad flash backs
IMG_1027.jpg

Drive outta Albuquerque was beautiful. Right after this pic. A new white Toyota Camry lost his bumper cover. ?? Just ripped right off the car landed just like it was on the car in the slow lane. Cars swerving everywhere to avoid. Passed the driver a few miles later and he was clueless to what happened. Big surprise when he stops for the day!!

IMG_1037.jpg

Made it home around 7:30. Shower, beer and bed.
Share the car after I’m done working…

chvynhra

Reaction score
You took a new corvette to a drive through car wash?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Some numbers on the car.
Vehicle production was from 2004 to 2009.
Only year car was available in white was 2008.
1542 vehicles were made that year. 259 in this trim level and only 61 of those in white.
I am the 3rd owner. 2nd owner was the dealership owner. Car was picked up with 30034 on the odometer. My road trip added 2000 to that.

2008 Cadillac XLR-V Alpine a white edition.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

It was a fun trip from KY to NV. Tried to stop and see as many things as possible instead of just a straight drive. The blow out on Sunday evening made it a bit more challenging and stressful. I held my breath every time there was a pothole that I went over from Oklahoma to home.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Got to meet a lot of people along the way. Just casual in conversation. Some of the Corvette guys coming up and looking at the car, talking shop. Few of them had XLR’s in the past.

Complements at gas stations. Hearing a wife ask her husband “what kinda car is that?” Couple thumps up on the road and a lot of finger pointing.

Did not see one other XLR on the entire trip. I like that part of their uniqueness.

I’ve liked these cars since they were introduced. I’ve searched for a white V for almost 2 years.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Got to meet a lot of people along the way. Just casual in conversation. Some of the Corvette guys coming up and looking at the car, talking shop. Few of them had XLR’s in the past.

Complements at gas stations. Hearing a wife ask her husband “what kinda car is that?” Couple thumps up on the road and a lot of finger pointing.

Did not see one other XLR on the entire trip. I like that part of their uniqueness.

I’ve liked these cars since they were introduced. I’ve searched for a white V for almost 2 years.

Nice but man I hope you didn’t pay $70,000 for it

Jay Dub

Reaction score

I have always liked the XLR's. cool concept. thanks for sharing your trip.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Nice but man I hope you didn’t pay $70,000 for it

Two challenges when looking at these cars. First is availability and next is price.

Cars routinely sell over book and low mileage cars are being sold at 70% of original MSRP, 13 years later!

When that car posted I called and made them an offer. They said it was to low and they would hold out.

Car I bought was unlisted the next day due to Seller changing their mind. I offered more and made the deal.

It’s a great deal considering XLR (non V) with same mileage are selling for $43k

With couple years of tracking these. A low mileage V should sell for $40-50k depending on color
A regular XLR with low miles should sell around $35k. Again color changes price as it was pretty much the only option.

Last edited: