WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AutoNation Rant

pkbullet

Reaction score
Findlay in Vegas, Anderson in Havasu, as well as a dealer in TX had no issue accepting an Edward Jones check for the last 3 vehicles we bought. A simple 30 second call verifies funds. Dealers hold title roughly 10 days regardless....Findlay and Anderson were similar timeframes to get our titles to the MT rep...the dealer in texas on the other hand I had to get an attorney involved...they fucked around for 5 months.
All they can verify is that check would clear, not that funds will be there when check hits. We verified funds on a personal check and didn’t run credit on a navigator cash deal. We never found the vehicle, 80k lesson.

attitude

Reaction score
Did that one time and the lady died in an accident on way home. Took over a year and litigation to get insurance to pay. They took position contract was invalid based on not collecting down payment.
RIP, what are the odds of that.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
All they can verify is that check would clear, not that funds will be there when check hits. We verified funds on a personal check and didn’t run credit on a navigator cash deal. We never found the vehicle, 80k lesson.

I'd let the car sit there before I let a fuckin car dealer run my credit. Autonation BMW ran my report multiple times over a similar deal...will never deal with those cock suckers again.

I usually do my deals over the phone, call me when its ready to pick up or be transported...its not worth my time to sit at a sales desk.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I'd let the car sit there before I let a fuckin car dealer run my credit. Autonation BMW ran my report multiple times over a similar deal...will never deal with those cock suckers again.

I usually do my deals over the phone, call me when its ready to pick up or be transported...its not worth my time to sit at a sales desk.
Most people just wire the money and avoid any hassle or are a repeat customer that you can trust based on previous interaction.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Most people just wire the money and avoid any hassle or are a repeat customer that you can trust based on previous interaction.

I've done that as well. Just depended on time frame and the circumstances, there's never been an issue or hassle cutting a check for us.. I don't usually need to pick up same day...car will sit for weeks. The Tahoe we bought at Findlay sat there for well over a month after the deal til the next time we went to havasu, I don't think they had to doubt the legitimacy of the check at that point...;)🤣 Sales guy picked us up at the airport and spent over an hour breaking down how everything worked.,..have sent a number of friends his way since.

On that note...findlay is awesome in Vegas.. we schedule service around trips...they will store it no questions asked for a long time..the service department is awesome.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
When I bought the wife’s Yukon in Phoenix last Dec I wrote them a check from Hawaii. They had no issues but we did have a backup finance plan in place incase my check did not clear. I knew that I had the cash. They didn’t. I can’t blame someone for covering their bases. Left with the car that day. No big deal.

gqchris

Reaction score
I have so many stories I have heard about "unwinds" from Sunday night deals. Its crazy. I am sure @Todd Mohr has a ton also.

We used to call the cars "ZStock" when they came back, if they did. At that point, it was a used car and the dealership took big hits. Along with the finance guy that waved the deal out!

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I have so many stories I have heard about "unwinds" from Sunday night deals. Its crazy. I am sure @Todd Mohr has a ton also.

We used to call the cars "ZStock" when they came back, if they did. At that point, it was a used car and the dealership took big hits. Along with the finance guy that waved the deal out!
I have spent many evenings driving around to find the cars that need to unwind. If you rolled it, you gotta get it back....

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
It will probably be around the same time we find a car we can buy lol

Man am I glad we got her her new suburban last November. What a shit show buying cars is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I talked with my salesman today, the Ford GM and the Porsche GM are working together to get to the bottom of this. I let him know if it is not resolved by COB today calls and emails will go out to the CEO of AutoNation, Ford, the BBB and the heads of both dealerships tomorrow. They will also be hearing from my attorney Tuesday about the breaching of two contracts that both should of guaranteed the vehicle could not of been sold to anyone but me.

The Porsche salesman (Matt) that contacted my girlfriend last night about her inquiry on the Yukon contacted her again this morning, my girlfriend let him know she was a very serious buyer and an hour later he got back to her and said it sold this morning, not yesterday like previously stated. I still don’t believe it is sold so I am in contact with my family up there and hopefully that can get to the dealership after work, I have a suspicion they will only sell it to in person buyers now.
Getting a lawyer over a used tahoe?
There is no Tahoe worth that headache

CLdrinker

Reaction score
A week later, I went to a Ford Dealer in LA, on a Sunday morning & wrote a personal check for a Focus ST. Maybe certain dealerships have different policies with regards to payments? I have no idea.....

I will say though that in all of the Fords I’ve purchased over the years, I’ve never had a dealership ask me for a cashiers check & I’ve always written a personal check, however I realize that we are in a different era now.....

With Tustin Ford, I just think they looked at me & didn’t think I could afford the car, that’s all. Maybe I’m wrong & everyone in their store needs a cashiers check if it’s over a certain amount? I didn’t care to ask because they kept me there too long & it was time to walk away...

How poor did you look that they judged you so poorly they didn’t think you could afford a focus.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I can just picture that Washington Dealership, bunch of dudes with man buns, living in their parents basement, trying to screw a fellow salesman out of a $250 commission.

All the while, whats happening is they guy who wants to buy the thing is ready to "send family over."

Call that salesman and tell him exactly those words in your Al Capone voice.

I HATE the car buying process.

attitude

Reaction score
I can just picture that Washington Dealership, bunch of dudes with man buns, living in their parents basement, trying to screw a fellow salesman out of a $250 commission.

All the while, whats happening is they guy who wants to buy the thing is ready to "send family over."

Call that salesman and tell him exactly those words in your Al Capone voice.

I HATE the car buying process.
Lol it’s just my girlfriends aunt and uncle, very inconspicuous car buyers. Wouldn’t hurt if he miss understood me though😂

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
How poor did you look that they judged you so poorly they didn’t think you could afford a focus.

That is the best way to buy a car you want at a dealer, if you have cash and aren’t actually poor. Walk in looking poor and when they throw out a stupid number, say you’ll take it.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
These dealer threads are entertaining. They don’t have to sell you a car. And right now, they have buyers lined up around the block for their inventory.

Not all dealers are pieces of shit. They all try to play the game. It only works if you fall for it/ let them do it.

I’ve bought from Multiple Autonation dealers, and have had nothing but great experiences.

It’s business. Go in prepared, and you won’t get screwed. In normal times, even if they claim to be “no haggle/ no hassle” they usually still will.

I will say, the OP’s deal sounds shitty. And of course they would rather deal with a local buyer. And shouldn’t put you through the runaround. But you can threaten all of the legal action and emails you want, it’s not going to make a difference. If you have someone local, have them go initiate the purchase. Shitty deal all around.

I enjoy the dealer experience. I recently traded my 6 month old Tacoma for a hard to find Ram 3500 I really wanted. I overpaid, but in this current environment I didn’t have any choice, unless I wanted to continue to drive a vehicle I didn’t like and wanted to hope I found another unicorn.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Go lease a Kia Sorento for $250/mo and let this all blow over. A couple of years down the road and (hopefully) things will be back to normal when it comes to vehicles, then you can go find a unicorn Tahoe and be in a better position with the dealer.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Now is just a bad time. I think everyone on here knows how bad I want a truck. I’m just not going to over pay. That’s a decision I’ve made and waiting just gives me more time to save so I can pay cash. I’ll be perfectly honest. I’m looking for another volt for my wife. The suburban is great and that will stay in the garage, but it will be a weekend car and only when we have all 3 kids. The volt will work fine for dropping the 3 boys off at school. I can’t even fill the suburban up at most gas stations because it’s a 25 gallon tank and the pumps stop at 100 bucks. And on top of all that my wife is rough on the suburban. It’s not a car and she drives it like it’s a rally car. I want to give it a make over and park it in the garage. She can beat the hell out of a 10k dollar volt.

Singleton

Reaction score
Now is just a bad time. I think everyone on here knows how bad I want a truck. I’m just not going to over pay. That’s a decision I’ve made and waiting just gives me more time to save so I can pay cash. I’ll be perfectly honest. I’m looking for another volt for my wife. The suburban is great and that will stay in the garage, but it will be a weekend car and only when we have all 3 kids. The volt will work fine for dropping the 3 boys off at school. I can’t even fill the suburban up at most gas stations because it’s a 25 gallon tank and the pumps stop at 100 bucks. And on top of all that my wife is rough on the suburban. It’s not a car and she drives it like it’s a rally car. I want to give it a make over and park it in the garage. She can beat the hell out of a 10k dollar volt.

My truck and Yukon spend more time in the garage/driveway theses days. Jeep or golf cart for school drop-off and grocery store running.

Yukon is used for Havasu trips only theses days and the truck only is driven when highway is needed or Camping trips

You think filling the Yukon (26g tank is bad), the truck is 50g and requires me to go inside and pay $250 to fill it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My truck and Yukon spend more time in the garage/driveway theses days. Jeep or golf cart for school drop-off and grocery store running.

Yukon is used for Havasu trips only theses days and the truck only is driven when highway is needed or Camping trips

You think filling the Yukon (26g tank is bad), the truck is 50g and requires me to go inside and pay $250 to fill it.
That’s exactly why I really put the brakes on over paying for a truck. It will be used only for towing as it will probably be a dually. The suburban is great but just not an everyday car. Lake trips and friends or sports on the weekends

Singleton

Reaction score
That’s exactly why I really put the brakes on over paying for a truck. It will be used only for towing as it will probably be a dually. The suburban is great but just not an everyday car. Lake trips and friends or sports on the weekends

The only car in my household rated for more then 6k miles annually is the Cruze my son drive in CO.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have spent many evenings driving around to find the cars that need to unwind. If you rolled it, you gotta get it back....
I never let a car roll out of my dealership on promises.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
And credit… forget it… you think a crack head paying you back shit for get it. -BIGGIE SMALLS

Singleton

Reaction score

I never leave the lot unless everything is signed / check verified.

My sister when she was 20 (back in the 90’s) drove off the lot with a new mustang and the dealer said we will get you financed. Two weeks later (after my sister tinted the windows, installed a stereo), the dealer called and informed her the financing fell through and she needed to return the car. Her trade in was already sold so she only get value back in cash, less then penalties (mileage and other fees on the car she was driving around). I still remember my dad telling her “you traded in your HS graduation gift and took something off the lot that was not legally yours, I will not fix this”. Took my sister 2 years before she got another car and she was bumming rides from me until she had the cash to purchase.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
This is why Tesla has been so disruptive. Even their CPO is all based on a formula. Straight forward.

Javajoe

Reaction score
This is why Tesla has been so disruptive. Even their CPO is all based on a formula. Straight forward.
My wife and I when picking up her Tesla (No Haggle, everyone same price) took about 20 minutes. Signed an IPad, walked out and were driving off with NO PAPERWORK in hand. I told her this is really weird having no paperwork and she said the guy says they are 100% paperless transactions. Then I looked down and saw our Credit Union Check for 50+ thousand sticking out of her purse. I said, well…someone is gunna be in trouble 😂. She turned around and we walked in and gave them the check. He looked shocked but relieved. Easiest purchase ever. I have always bought my trucks over the phone thru the Fleet Dept. Then roll up, sign and get the hell out. You don’t need to own a business to buy thru a fleet guy. Way easier IMO

Singleton

Reaction score
My wife and I when picking up her Tesla (No Haggle, everyone same price) took about 20 minutes. Signed an IPad, walked out and were driving off with NO PAPERWORK in hand. I told her this is really weird having no paperwork and she said the guy says they are 100% paperless transactions. Then I looked down and saw our Credit Union Check for 50+ thousand sticking out of her purse. I said, well…someone is gunna be in trouble 😂. She turned around and we walked in and gave them the check. He looked shocked but relieved. Easiest purchase ever. I have always bought my trucks over the phone thru the Fleet Dept. Then roll up, sign and get the hell out. You don’t need to own a business to buy thru a fleet guy. Way easier IMO

I got my F350 through the fleet sales. Profess was way easier. My wife was shocked it only took 15 minutes to sign everything electronically. Process was even better since they called us and told us when to come sign everything.

attitude

Reaction score
So did the OP get the truck ??
The Porsche GM emailed me last night asking about my experience with Ronald, I left him a message this morning. Hopefully he gives me a call back in a timely fashion.

Javajoe

Reaction score
E7B3616C-3670-49E9-B2F1-A35239E83E73.jpeg

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The Porsche GM emailed me last night asking about my experience with Ronald, I left him a message this morning. Hopefully he gives me a call back in a timely fashion.
So is that a No ?

Singleton

Reaction score
Sounds to me like Tustin Ford was trying to steal the "sale".

Pretty interesting story for sure.

I read it the exact opposite. Bellevue Porsche played games to keep the sale. Any dealer in the Autonation network can sell any vehicle in the network no matter where the car is located.

attitude

Reaction score
Sounds to me like Tustin Ford was trying to steal the "sale".

Pretty interesting story for sure.
Buying through Tustin Ford was set up through AutoNation, they own both dealerships. Being Tustin Ford is the closet AutoNation dealership to me they had them contact me to set up the deal. The only reason Ronald from Porsche Bellevue was involved was because I asked for pictures of the vehicle.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Buying through Tustin Ford was set up through AutoNation, they own both dealerships. Being Tustin Ford is the closet AutoNation dealership to me they had them contact me to set up the deal. The only reason Ronald from Porsche Bellevue was involved was because I asked for pictures of the vehicle.
So Bellevue had first contact with you?
I had this situation happen often when a buyer was searching a very specific car that only one dealer had but they called 8 different stores for "best deal". Now suddenly 8 stores all wanted the same car but the store with the car simply denied trade because they had a possible/pending sale. Hense my 9/10ths rule post above.🙂
My assumption is your best chance is to just deal with Bellevue.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
More or less.
AN's network must forward inquiries to the closest retailer, I'm assuming.

One would think...

Or some other way?

Like I said, interesting story. Hope it works out in the end.

attitude

Reaction score
So Bellevue had first contact with you?
I had this situation happen often when a buyer was searching a very specific car that only one dealer had but they called 8 different stores for "best deal". Now suddenly 8 stores all wanted the same car but the store with the car simply denied trade because they had a possible/pending sale. Hense my 9/10ths rule post above.🙂
My assumption is your best chance is to just deal with Bellevue.
No sir, I was on the phone with Nick at Tustin Ford when Ronald from Porsche Bellevue sent me the video of the truck.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No sir, I was on the phone with Nick at Tustin Ford when Ronald from Porsche Bellevue sent me the video of the truck.
Did you request the pics/video or Nick? Sounded like you asked for pics from the porsche(AN) folks and Nick reached out to you in the mean time due to proximity.

attitude

Reaction score
Did you request the pics/video or Nick? Sounded like you asked for pics from the porsche(AN) folks and Nick reached out to you in the mean time due to proximity.
I asked the AutoNation rep if they could have someone contact me in regards to purchasing the vehicle and I also asked if they could send me pictures of the vehicle since there were none on the add. The AutoNation rep had Nick from Tustin Ford reach out to me to purchase the vehicle and had Ronald from Porsche Bellevue send me a video of the vehicle. The only person I reached out to was the AutoNation rep.

attitude

Reaction score
My salesman Nick is now being told by his GM and Market manager he’s not allowed to send me the contracts that have my signature and my salesman’s signature on them. Shit is getting good!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My salesman Nick is now being told by his GM and Market manager he’s not allowed to send me the contracts that have my signature and my salesman’s signature on them. Shit is getting good!

I'm with Zig. You should be calling the dealer that has the vehicle you want right away. Probably the guy that sent you the vids.

Just kindly explain you were led to believe what a local dealer told you, and you really Do want the vehicle.

Don't wait.

attitude

Reaction score
I'm with Zig. You should be calling the dealer that has the vehicle you want right away. Probably the guy that sent you the vids.

Just kindly explain you were led to believe what a local dealer told you, and you really Do want the vehicle.

Don't wait.
My salesman called me this morning to confirm the vehicle had sold. That’s when I asked for my contract that is dated 9-3-2021 because the vehicle was actually sold on 9-4-2021. They are now refusing to give me my contract

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My salesman called me this morning to confirm the vehicle had sold. That’s when I asked for my contract that is dated 9-3-2021 because the vehicle was actually sold on 9-4-2021. They are now refusing to give me my contract

Define "my salesman" for us here trying to keep up. 😝

pkbullet

Reaction score
I doubt what you signed obligated you or them. In most states , without delivery the sale is not consummated. If you aren’t legally held to purchase neither is seller. A purchase order obligates no one on either side. It is however a violation of federal law to not provide a copy of anything signed by a consumer if requested. As someone above stated the dealership holding the unit had zero interest in allowing it to be sold by your local dealer. Selling is easy right now, acquiring the inventory is where all the work is these days. Our salespeople spend all day calling to purchase from private parties, instead of soliciting sales prospects. It seems like Autonations policy of allowing all dealers to sell from national inventory caused the issue. Buying direct from the dealer with the unit most likely would of flowed easily.

hallett21

Reaction score
If you want the car, deal with the dealership that has their hands on it.

If it’s a matter of getting them paid I’m sure they will direct you on what you need to do.

A plane ticket up there could be worth it as well. Then again I think you said the GF is due any day?

attitude

Reaction score
I just got back from Tustin Ford, I talked to the sales manager Peter who was in charge of the deal. He claimed Nick was never told he could not send me any documents, but all the documents with signatures have been shredded already, seems very convenient. Peter is a typical slimy salesman, I didn’t like him from the time I met him Friday so I am not surprised.

At this point the car is sold it’s now just about making these slimy people get their ass handed to them.