WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Went To A Barn Dance...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Weird, to say the least. I'm not much of a social butterfly, but wife and a couple friends were going. There's kind of a tourist trap farm deal down the road a ways, and the band had played a bar fairly often on Whiskey Row...so had an outing.

The band is "Hillbilly Deluxe". They're out of Phoenix. Not bad, kind of a honky-tonk vibe, country cover band. The people that turned out were a cross section like none I've seen. It was pretty cool. A couple high roller/investment types from the Prescott area, as well as the young ranch kids. Just about every race or nationality, and even some "alternate lifestyle" folks...
Nobody cared where, who or what...food, bar, music and dancing.
20210903_212946.jpg

Maybe 100 people? Maybe more? Was a nice departure from the world headlines. Turns out people don't suck as much as we're told.

Side note, watched a couple of young cowboys...like roper/rider...real cowboy kids. They had some cute "buckle bunnies" there, but these boys were taking turns dancing with a couple older ladies...probably early 60's. When slow songs came up, I saw these two ladies' husbands. One looked to be fairly frail, possibly doing treatments for something, the other I saw breathing oxygen at their table. Both husbands were dressed and pressed, clean Wranglers and creased shirts, wearing their "nice" hats...and World Champion buckles.
The youngsters were making sure the older guys' wives were able to dance with a partner, when the older guys may not have been able too.
From the outside looking in, it was neat to see. I can't ride or rope for shit, I am no cowboy. Those boys, maybe 15-16 years old, had my respect.

It's a different world, just have to look.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The one thing that got my attention in that pic is The American Flag!!! My name is Nowski and I approve this thread...
It's kind of nice, they get to stay up around here. It's real common to see Her, and her sisters, thin blue, red and green.

Nobody here must watch the news. Nobody cares which American flag you fly, or what color your skin is. Hell, the singer from the country band was Puerto Rican..."Pedro" 😂

DLC

Reaction score
That’s small town Americana! They all bleed red white and blue! it’s all about hard work and respect the back bone if our Great Nation!
It’s a beautiful thing and that looks like a good time!

where was it? Private ranch?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That’s small town Americana! They all bleed red white and blue! it’s all about hard work and respect the back bone if our Great Nation!
It’s a beautiful thing and that looks like a good time!

where was it? Private ranch?
It's a touristy place that does a corn maze in the fall, and pumpkin patch. The owners actually run some cattle at a different property, this is more or less a commercialized "farm" now. Still pretty cool though. The place has actually been a working farm forever, but started catering to the roadside market thing for the past 30 years or so. The current owners do a bit more stuff, like the maze, fall and winter festivals...draws people from the Phoenix area even. It's neat though, seeing the locals show up on nights like this one.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
My wife was in Las Vegas in the 80’s during the National Finals Rodeo. Picture all the cowboys with all the showgirls at the local Country Western place.
She was there with her office staff and she was amazed at how nice everyone was. Completely different demeanor than the California bar crowd.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
My wife was in Las Vegas in the 80’s during the National Finals Rodeo. Picture all the cowboys with all the showgirls at the local Country Western place.
She was there with her office staff and she was amazed at how nice everyone was. Completely different demeanor than the California bar crowd.

Not all of Cali. Literally Just got home from our home town fair, tonight was derby night, as the anthem played and came to the word “freedom“ the entire crowd roared. tomorrow is rodeo. Many small towns in central ca are very conservative, and we still smile and say hello walking down the street.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Weird, to say the least. I'm not much of a social butterfly, but wife and a couple friends were going. There's kind of a tourist trap farm deal down the road a ways, and the band had played a bar fairly often on Whiskey Row...so had an outing.

The band is "Hillbilly Deluxe". They're out of Phoenix. Not bad, kind of a honky-tonk vibe, country cover band. The people that turned out were a cross section like none I've seen. It was pretty cool. A couple high roller/investment types from the Prescott area, as well as the young ranch kids. Just about every race or nationality, and even some "alternate lifestyle" folks...
View attachment 1045703

Maybe 100 people? Maybe more? Was a nice departure from the world headlines. Turns out people don't suck as much as we're told.

Side note, watched a couple of young cowboys...like roper/rider...real cowboy kids. They had some cute "buckle bunnies" there, but these boys were taking turns dancing with a couple older ladies...probably early 60's. When slow songs came up, I saw these two ladies' husbands. One looked to be fairly frail, possibly doing treatments for something, the other I saw breathing oxygen at their table. Both husbands were dressed and pressed, clean Wranglers and creased shirts, wearing their "nice" hats...and World Champion buckles.
The youngsters were making sure the older guys' wives were able to dance with a partner, when the older guys may not have been able too.
From the outside looking in, it was neat to see. I can't ride or rope for shit, I am no cowboy. Those boys, maybe 15-16 years old, had my respect.

Went to one in Dandridge, TN a couple of years ago and it was pretty much as you describe.

We also went to a couple of dance halls in Lafayette. La and it was the same as far as young guys dancing with the older ladies. The young guys dates would dance together while their men were dancing with the older ladies. Was really nice to see.

Here in the south the American Flag is everywhere. When you go to a store or restaurant you hear a ton of yes sir and yes ma'am. A week ago I thought there was going to be an ass whipping when this guy didn't hold the door for a lady. The other men around gave him a bunch of shit.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Went to one in Dandridge, TN a couple of years ago and it was pretty much as you describe.

We also went to a couple of dance halls in Lafayette. La and it was the same as far as young guys dancing with the older ladies. The young guys dates would dance together while their men were dancing with the older ladies. Was really nice to see.

Here in the south the American Flag is everywhere. When you go to a store or restaurant you hear a ton of yes sir and yes ma'am. A week ago I thought there was going to be an ass whipping when this guy didn't hold the door for a lady. The other men around gave him a bunch of shit.

i love it when i hear the young kids say yes sir ma’am. It sure is refreshing

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1045703

That last sentence says it all...

We ALL have to stop believing the retoric being forced upon us, and work to create the world we Want to live in.

Some people say, that's living with your head in the sand.

I just call it living the life You want to live.

This sure looks like a real good time to me. 👍

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a touristy place that does a corn maze in the fall, and pumpkin patch. The owners actually run some cattle at a different property, this is more or less a commercialized "farm" now. Still pretty cool though. The place has actually been a working farm forever, but started catering to the roadside market thing for the past 30 years or so. The current owners do a bit more stuff, like the maze, fall and winter festivals...draws people from the Phoenix area even. It's neat though, seeing the locals show up on nights like this one.

Looks like Mortimer Farms.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Looks like Mortimer Farms.
Yessir, can't remember what the previous name was. I know Mortimer's bought it and have thrown some money at it to draw from a larger area. They used to do a field trip around Halloween, maybe kinder and 1st grade?. Kids got to do the corn maze and even got to take home a pumpkin. Last year was a no-go due to shutdowns, and I'm wondering if this year may not happen due to the hit they had to take over the last year and a half.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Mortimer Farms. It was Young’s Farm from the time I was very little. The Young’s kids were mostly my age and growing up the Farm was a center piece of the community in Dewey. My first job was catching chickens in the coops and putting them in the semi to be take to another part of the farm for processing. Then we’d slop the hogs and dairy cows a couple mornings a week. Later in junior high my job there was packing giblets during the holidays after school. Me and about 6 friends worked there 3 nights a week. I’d ride my dirt bike on the cow trails down to the farm for work each day. I’m friends with every one of those kids I worked with to this day. In high school I worked the sweet corn season there with a few others. Our job was packing up the corn for the swarms of customers looking to get their hands on the states best sweet corn. If werent doing that we were bbqing the corn for sale along with brats etc. Back then the young’s would throw actual barn parties for friends and family which consisted of Homer Young and his buddies on banjos and harmonicas busting out the bluegrass jams. It was an awesome way of life.

Sadly the county decided not to renew the Young families water lease and effectively closed down the farm. The Young’s packed up the family and a multi generational legacy and moved to Oregon and went into ranching. Two years later Mortimer Farms opened up shop on the farm with the exact same program. Somehow no issues with the county or the same water lease the Young’s had. Politics at its finest…

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Looks like Mortimer Farms. It was Young’s Farm from the time I was very little. The Young’s kids were mostly my age and growing up the Farm was a center piece of the community in Dewey. My first job was catching chickens in the coops and putting them in the semi to be take to another part of the farm for processing. Then we’d slop the hogs and dairy cows a couple mornings a week. Later in junior high my job there was packing giblets during the holidays after school. Me and about 6 friends worked there 3 nights a week. I’d ride my dirt bike on the cow trails down to the farm for work each day. I’m friends with every one of those kids I worked with to this day. In high school I worked the sweet corn season there with a few others. Our job was packing up the corn for the swarms of customers looking to get their hands on the states best sweet corn. If werent doing that we were bbqing the corn for sale along with brats etc. Back then the young’s would throw actual barn parties for friends and family which consisted of Homer Young and his buddies on banjos and harmonicas busting out the bluegrass jams. It was an awesome way of life.

Sadly the county decided not to renew the Young families water lease and effectively closed down the farm. The Young’s packed up the family and a multi generational legacy and moved to Oregon and went into ranching. Two years later Mortimer Farms opened up shop on the farm with the exact same program. Somehow no issues with the county or the same water lease the Young’s had. Politics at its finest…
I'd forgotten the name, they had moved before I got here. Sad to say the least. I do know the Mortimer "family" came in high rolling... Her father foot the bill I heard for this, a nursery and their ranch out near Cherry. Heard he's a big cattle guy in the mid-west.
I've heard stories at least one of their boys isn't a saint, and also heard from a couple of the ranch hands that there's a good turn over there...not the greatest ranchers to work for.
Have some stories not fit for public reading...they may have better lawyers than I can afford :oops:

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd forgotten the name, they had moved before I got here. Sad to say the least. I do know the Mortimer "family" came in high rolling... Her father foot the bill I heard for this, a nursery and their ranch out near Cherry. Heard he's a big cattle guy in the mid-west.
I've heard stories at least one of their boys isn't a saint, and also heard from a couple of the ranch hands that there's a good turn over there...not the greatest ranchers to work for.
Have some stories not fit for public reading...they may have better lawyers than I can afford :oops:

there was definitely some fishiness about the way that whole deal went down, but that’s for another thread. Im
Glad the place is still being used to bring the community together. It’s a special place for sure.