WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to sell/what’s a wood boat worth?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
So my boss’ father recently passed away and left a wooden boat the family.

As they already have an armada, they would like to sell the boat to a family that will appreciate it but don’t know what something like this is worth or where to try and sell it.

Any of you inmates know much about these types of boats?

1957 Century Resorter. 17 feet
Flat head Chrysler Marine 6 cyl engine
Direct drive

I believe engine to be a new ( low hours) rebuilt boat and drivetrain
It’s been over 10 yrs since the boat has been in the water.

what say ye? Any insight?
7C035A18-593D-4329-BFC8-5471219040BD.png
CBD06574-9D23-4F38-984C-018A725ED7BE.png
21862F1E-7BF5-4C12-BF46-41DF6A089232.png
7FA263A3-C864-4A67-BAAB-6333B4E389B6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Taboma

Reaction score

As they already have an armada, they would like to sell the boat to a family that will appreciate it but don’t know what something like this is worth or where to try and sell it.

Direct drive

what say ye? Any insight?

Condition, condition, condition !!! Hull would have to be inspected for dry rot, or any structural issues. Often wood boat suffer warping depending on how well they're supported on the trailer during layup. Also, under what conditions it's been stored, dry or humid ? Hulls dry out and the wood shrinks, they do this anytime they're out of water, but long duration layups can severely dry the wood, which may then require re-packing and re-caulking.

What it's worth, could be $ 20 or more K, if it's been fully refurbished and ready to launch, or $ 2,500 if it's in need of a lot of wood re-working and it's warped.
It doesn't sound like the bottom was "West System Epoxy" bottom treated, which makes the boat far easier to live with.
The engine rebuild isn't where the vast amount of $$ can be spent on one of these type boats.
I write this having been a slave labor child to my father's love of wood performance boats. Basically young and unskilled, I got to sand, and sand, and sand some more and as he'd often remind me when he perceived " An Attitude", if you want to go skiing next summer, keep sanding. 😂

Start by simply Googling 1957 Century Resorter ---

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Condition, condition, condition !!! Hull would have to be inspected for dry rot, or any structural issues. Often wood boat suffer warping depending on how well they're supported on the trailer during layup. Also, under what conditions it's been stored, dry or humid ? Hulls dry out and the wood shrinks, they do this anytime they're out of water, but long duration layups can severely dry the wood, which may then require re-packing and re-caulking.

What it's worth, could be $ 20 or more K, if it's been fully refurbished and ready to launch, or $ 2,500 if it's in need of a lot of wood re-working and it's warped.
It doesn't sound like the bottom was "West System Epoxy" bottom treated, which makes the boat far easier to live with.
The engine rebuild isn't where the vast amount of $$ can be spent on one of these type boats.
I write this having been a slave labor child to my father's love of wood performance boats. Basically young and unskilled, I got to sand, and sand, and sand some more and as he'd often remind me when he perceived " An Attitude", if you want to go skiing next summer, keep sanding. 😂

Thank you!

Great info. I'll try to get some more details from the boss man. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
So my wife told me she wants a wooden boat for the lake. As a potential buyer I'm interested in what you find out about selling these types of boats.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Bring-A-Trailer lists those sometimes.

Dana757

Reaction score
Taboma is correct. I grew up boating in one of those and yeah, sanded, sanded, sanded like a mofo. Looks well kept in the photos.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…Looks pretty decent…Chrysler Crown…one of the most durable marine engines ever…

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
they would like to sell the boat to a family that will appreciate it

My in-laws are about to retire in WA, we've been talking about a boat like this for them and to use up there. I'd be interested in more info, photos etc. As far as price...condition is everything. I have owned a 35' all wood sport fisher....money goes fast.

sirbob

Reaction score

Direct drive

what say ye? Any insight? View attachment 1044963 View attachment 1044968 View attachment 1044970 View attachment 1044973

This place in Tahoe will tell you everything you need to know and will be a great resource to help you.

Nice boat - GLWS!

Hydroman55

Reaction score

All true…..kinda a run of the mill being a Century Restorer plus being a 17 footer hurts. In my opinion, $20K would be all the money for a world class example.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My brother tried building wooden boats for a few years under "Hogan Marine." They had two 26 footer and three 20 footer hulls built by hand to there specifications in Thailand and then he rigged them in the US with America hardware and power. The boats were AMAZING and the attention to detail was the best he ever did.
Screenshot_20210907-153956_Chrome.jpg

Only one problem, he was honest. No one wanted to maintain a wooden boat. For the most part we have become a disposable society and he was honest about upkeep and maintenance requirements.
After selling 4 of 5 and literally giving away the last hull, he ended up bairly breaking even for his out of pocket costs. He made nothing for his years of planning, thousands of hours in labor, storage costs, ect.

You have a beautiful boat and a piecenof history that the right buyer will love but my only recommendation is to sell as is because once you start you will likely get $0.10 on the $1. Don't even wash it. Barn find with dust and all.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Check with the ACBS https://acbs.org/ Antique & Classic Boat Society.
With a wood boat generally before use they fill the boat with water for a few days to expand the wood so they don't leak.

C08H18

Reaction score
Since we spend summers in Tahoe, i told the wife I'd buy her one at some point. We've been looking and I joined numerous FB groups and stop off often at Sierra boat works in Tahoe. I believe there is 3 factors that determine value: restoration of the motor and transmission, condition of the topside varnish and upholstery, and whether the bottom has a 'no soak' conversion (west systems or the preferred option to R&R all the planks and bed with 5200). If all 3 are done, it's a $20K boat. Your boss has a few deductions to take off.

Taboma

Reaction score
With a wood boat generally before use they fill the boat with water for a few days to expand the wood so they don't leak.

Filling the boat with water is a great way to get dry rot and not recommended by real wooden boaters unless it's unavoidable.

You place layers of old carpet UNDER the boat hull on the garage floor. Then for several weeks, you keep the carpet wet and allow the hull to absorb the humidity from the outside in, slowly expanding and sealing. Then when you launch, sling it with several ropes for about a week, after that it's tight and well sealed.
In fact, during the offseason we'd just keep damp carpet under the boat, not soaking wet, just damp, trying to store the boat in a more humid environment.
Havasu would be brutal, even with a West System Bottom, the sides and deck planks would dry out and shrink. That's why you see these boats at Lake Arrowhead, or Tahoe, or on lakes in the north east.

Taboma

Reaction score
Since we spend summers in Tahoe, i told the wife I'd buy her one at some point. We've been looking and I joined numerous FB groups and stop off often at Sierra boat works in Tahoe. I believe there is 3 factors that determine value: restoration of the motor and transmission, condition of the topside varnish and upholstery, and whether the bottom has a 'no soak' conversion (west systems or the preferred option to R&R all the planks and bed with 5200). If all 3 are done, it's a $20K boat. Your boss has a few deductions to take off.

Never heard of using the 5200, but then 5200 didn't exist when we owned these. Some guys early on tried to fiberglass them, whoops, that didn't work worth shit.
Nothing like the feeling of solid wood going through the waves.
When dad was finally tired of spending the entire offseason massaging wood and opted for fiberglass ( OH, thank GOD !!!!) , the hollow sound when striking waves was unpleasant. So much so, we hole sawed into it's double bottom and filled it with expanding foam, ala Boston Whaler. Made a huge improvement.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Don’t want to steal the thread…There is an option to have the look with no wood to avoid the constant maintenance.
I had a 20 foot Elite Craft https://elitecraft.com/ in the 1980s and sold about 10 years ago for $26k I’ll dig out the pics.

Riverbottom

Reaction score

Generally fill it with salt water, as fresh water causes dry rot in wooden boat. Grew up at the ocean with wood sail boats and power boats. Always made sure rain water and wash water did not sit in the boats.

blown32

Reaction score
Dad had a 58 Century, sold and bought this 68 Century FG. Been at havasu since New. Also looking for a good place to market this one owner Century....subscrided to this thread.
Screenshot_2020-05-05-16-44-37.png

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
My brother tried building wooden boats for a few years under "Hogan Marine." They had two 26 footer and three 20 footer hulls built by hand to there specifications in Thailand and then he rigged them in the US with America hardware and power. The boats were AMAZING and the attention to detail was the best he ever did.
View attachment 1046664
Only one problem, he was honest. No one wanted to maintain a wooden boat. For the most part we have become a disposable society and he was honest about upkeep and maintenance requirements.
After selling 4 of 5 and literally giving away the last hull, he ended up bairly breaking even for his out of pocket costs. He made nothing for his years of planning, thousands of hours in labor, storage costs, ect.

You have a beautiful boat and a piecenof history that the right buyer will love but my only recommendation is to sell as is because once you start you will likely get $0.10 on the $1. Don't even wash it. Barn find with dust and all.

If I could find one of Danny's boats I'd seriously consider buying it. I was the boat show when he had them on the floor (2005-ish?).

shunter2005

Reaction score
Very nice looking Resorter. Maintenance is the biggest rub. If you haven't done one, you can't imagine how much work they are. Years ago, I refurbed one that I found. It went from shit to luster, but it took over a year, working on it almost every night after work and weekends. Once you get it done, there is a lot of maintenance. Almost everything that touches it, puts a scratch on it. New varnish every 2-3 years. Reason I sold mine, I got tired of the maintenance. Maybe it's the lighting in the photos, the sides look good, but the deck looks a bit cloudy. If it's been sitting for 10 yrs + the deck probably should be re-varnished. As stated, condition is everything with wood boats.

They are a special niche market, for sure. Not many people interested in them because of the work. When I sold mine, the non period E-Tec was the only thing that got the $$$'s. Between the cost of materials and my labor to refurbish it, I lost my ass on it. Wood boats truly are a labor of love. The good thing is that people interested in a wood boat love the old Century and Chris Craft inboards. Resorters used to be a well sought after boat. Lots of wood boat folks like that 17' boat. That alone should get you over the hump, if you find the right person. As someone above stated, the ACBS is the main go to place for info and worth of wood boats.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
If I could find one of Danny's boats I'd seriously consider buying it. I was the boat show when he had them on the floor (2005-ish?).

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Showed my wife the ad and she loves the boat. Then we checked the garage and the boathouse and it won't fit... I need to find one of the 18 footers.

Last edited: