WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aluminum box anchor

dspracing

Reaction score
Designing a better box anchor is pretty high on my to-do list. We love to anchor and float around the boat but it has got to the point where I absolutely dread pulling out that damn anchor.

It's heavy as shit, it brings with it mud, debris, and weeds that are both awkward and tough to clean off, it's hard to fold/unfold, it does not lock in the folded position, etc.

The only thing one could say good about it is that it actually works really well. The determining factor in creating a better anchor is going to be how much the weight of the anchor contributes to its effectiveness. They have aluminum Danforth anchors so an aluminum box anchor just might work out ok.

Has anyone tried out the triangle anchor?

Reactions: DWC

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Unfortunately weight is part of the deal with a good anchor, you either need it in the anchor, or the lead chain. Unless you run out twice the scope of line.

I know sailing cruisers all swear by the performance and holding power of Rocna anchors, hold on to your socks when you see what a stainless one costs 🤣

McKay

Reaction score
Guess it all depends on if you are anchoring overnight or just hanging in a cove or at the sand bar. I hardly ever put a large anchor in my boat. It's usually the baby box anchor or a small aluminum fortress. They both have 6-8' or so of 5/16 chain on them. Never had an issue for just day anchoring at a lake with either. Been doing this for years from 28' to 37' boats. If conditions are such that they are going to pull those anchors while hanging I'm sure we would want to relocate or get the hell out of there. Those XL box anchors are a big bitch!

hallett21

Reaction score
Unfortunately weight is part of the deal with a good anchor, you either need it in the anchor, or the lead chain. Unless you run out twice the scope of line.

I know sailing cruisers all swear by the performance and holding power of Rocna anchors, hold on to your socks when you see what a stainless one costs 🤣

Holy shit lol over 2k for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Danforth or Fortress which is a Danforth style lighter weight like you are after. 150-200ft of rope no chain, scope is your friend. Box anchors are shit in any real wind or storm.

franky

Reaction score

Deals are to be made

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Deals are to be made

Do you build these yourself?

franky

Reaction score
Do you build these yourself?

No I do not. A friend, who recently passed, had them made with a partner. I had bought one from him almost twenty tears ago and lost it. Tracked down his partner, drove a few states away and bought a bunch. That's how much I like this anchor.

No chain, no rope, just the bungie!

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I use a small box anchor with a dock line. Works great

69hondo

Reaction score
I think I have the small box anchor as I got it 20 years ago when we were using the flatty as the family ride. It has been passed up to the 21 and now the 27. It is heavy and generally holds well. However it never has held well in the current with any of the boats. I watched it a couple weeks ago just tumble down river on the sand bottom, flipping and doing cartwheels. Threw the old backup fluke out and it dug right in and held. I dont think there is a perfect all around anchor. IMO You need multiple for the river and its different scenarios.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I used to like the box anchors and still use them from time to time...but one of the boats I bought over the past couple of years came with a fortress xf7....these things are 4lbs...and the fx11 is not much bigger heavier...I have used several times and as long you have the right amount of chain/rope they hold in any of the stuff I see in Parker or Havasu...

rivergames

Reaction score
I'd just buy a set of weights and start pumping those muscles to lift a box anchor better [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
I'd love a smaller pwc / 16-21' boat size box anchor. Just something big enough to get the job done, but not big enough I dread having to dig it out and get it set for just a couple of hours hanging out at the sandbar or in a cove.

I've thought about using one of those smaller mushroom style ones, but i've never tried using that style

rrrr

Reaction score
Danforth or Fortress which is a Danforth style lighter weight like you are after. 150-200ft of rope no chain, scope is your friend. Box anchors are shit in any real wind or storm.

The Fortress is a great anchor. With a 5:1 scope they'll hold in pretty extreme conditions.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Drill holes in it. Or a torch and grinder.
The sides of the box can have windows cut to remove weight
The bottom of the box you can drill hole to let mud flow out while lifting
If you have a drill press you can basically shot peen it.
It can be lighter and work fine.