WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What could go wrong? 18 year old semi truck drivers…

arch stanton

Reaction score
The trucking industry has done a survey of drivers and about 30% will quite before getting the Jab.

see article hear how-bidens-vaccine-mandate-could-impact-ownerops-independents

I think The 100 employee rule is just a start for Biden it will be lowered to 50 then 10 then everyone.

In California the AB5 Law is pretty much doing away with 1099 worker you can still be independent but you have to incorporate and be an employee of your 1 truck corporation. This rule has been takin to the Supreme court we are waiting to see if they will hear the case. I think the numbers for trucking companies look something like 80% have less than 10 trucks but there is a shortage currently so if I big company like Schneider or Walmart lose 30% buy requiring the jab the rest of us small guys are going to make a bunch of money and it will be easier to find a good driver as they leave the big guys

arch stanton

Reaction score
interesting subject. but to put some things in perspective......a 16 year old can legally operate an aircraft.
I have no problem with a 16 year old flying a private aircraft no big deal if he crashes the chances that he will harm anybody but himself are small but I don't think you are going to find a 16 year old flying a commercial jet with passengers unless he is a terrorist

arch stanton

Reaction score
IMG_0304 2.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg
Most people regardless of age are not ready to haul this kind of stuff I don't really fear the Russians doing this kind of work they are bound to screw it up

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
It takes years and years of experience to learn how to drive with your feet while making a sandwich watching Oprah on TV. That’s why we need more training.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
My seat won't go back far enough for that. I may try it from the passenger seat though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Will have to agree to disagree, however I am a company driver and I’m not getting no damn jab. Most likely just retire soon. I’ll wait and let them battle it out in the courts.
Same here. Company driver and fuck the jab

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

arch stanton

Reaction score
I should also add looks like I just lost a driver and am going to need somebody with experience over 25 with in the North San Diego county area to drive this super 10 as the main job but could also be able to run equipment trailer, low bed, flat bed I also could use a part time guy maybe somebody retired that can give guys days off every one likes 3 day weekends now and then and doctor visits as one of my guys is 68 and another is 75.

IMG_0806 2.jpg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I should also add looks like I just lost a driver and am going to need somebody with experience over 25 with in the North San Diego county area to drive this super 10 as the main job but could also be able to run equipment trailer, low bed, flat bed I also could use a part time guy maybe somebody retired that can give guys days off every one likes 3 day weekends now and then and doctor visits as one of my guys is 68 and another is 75.

I interned one summer for a material company and wound up becoming a location manager due to random circumstance. Most all of my drivers were over 70... "college boy" was my nickname... Sadly I've either been to or sent flowers to each of their funerals in the years since. None of them are still alive and I'm only in my mid 30's. The US has a driver shortage..people just won't admit it. One of them made a lot of impact on me...RIP Norris...you were one hell of a guy

rrrr

Reaction score
interesting subject. but to put some things in perspective......a 16 year old can legally operate an aircraft.

A 1,600 lb Cessna 172 can't do much damage, especially compared to an 80,000 lb Class 8 OTR rig.

DaveH

Reaction score
A 1,600 lb Cessna 172 can't do much damage, especially compared to an 80,000 lb Class 8 OTR rig.
tell that to the family in Yorba Linda where a few years ago, a single engine private plane crashed, lit a couple of houses on fire, I forget how many fatalities there were.

hallett21

Reaction score
Age is just a number IMO. I was running Gradalls at 16 and driving stake bed trucks that easily weighed 20k pounds. I’ve been towing 25ft + trailers since 14.

Plenty of “kids” on ranches and farms moving way more weight than that.

It’s up to the hiring company to decide whether the 18 year old is of the maturity that they would hire them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

View attachment 1048496
And what does that pay full time

rrrr

Reaction score
tell that to the family in Yorba Linda where a few years ago, a single engine private plane crashed, lit a couple of houses on fire, I forget how many fatalities there were.

You've constructed a strawman, and it has no relationship to what I posted..

That aircraft was a twin engine Cessna 414, and its maximum gross weight is 6,750 lbs. The crash killed four people.

My post considered the difference between a fully loaded Class 8 truck and trailer and a single engine aircraft, not the isolated crash of a small airplane into a couple of houses. Run that truck into a neighborhood at 60 MPH, set the wreckage on fire, and see what happens. There would be carnage.

Compare the Yorba Linda incident to the crash of Aeromexico Flight 498 into a Cerritos residential neighborhood in 1986 killed 82 people. The DC-9-32 destroyed over a dozen homes.

DaveH

Reaction score
You've constructed a strawman, and it has no relationship to what I posted..

That aircraft was a twin engine Cessna 414, and its maximum gross weight is 6,750 lbs. The crash killed four people.

My post considered the difference between a fully loaded Class 8 truck and trailer and a single engine aircraft, not the isolated crash of a small airplane into a couple of houses. Run that truck into a neighborhood at 60 MPH, set the wreckage on fire, and see what happens. There would be carnage.

Compare the Yorba Linda incident to the crash of Aeromexico Flight 498 into a Cerritos residential neighborhood in 1986 killed 82 people. The DC-9-32 destroyed over a dozen homes.
whatever. this thread isn't about how to kill the most people. its about 18 year olds being responsible enough to handle the equipment. I guess it takes more skill and responsibility to operate a rig compared to operating on aircraft, to which you can solo at 14 and receive a license at 16.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Youngsters need more responsibility. Not Less. Obviously a need for training. I remember Truck driving school Wally on TV, "If you've got it, A Truck brought it." The Electricians Union certifies all Electricians, even the non Union. But you have to earn it. Teamsters should step up. Pre Apprentice programs, High school exposure, Apprenticeship. Some Job Corps programs do have Heavy Equipment operator programs. IDK what the answer is, but training shure could help.

North American Van Lines had a Trainee program, in 1980. And High School used to have Driver Training.
The Vax mandate will further FUBAR commerce. And, sadly, training.

j21black

Reaction score
Think about it. Kids getting out of high school that are not going to college and they want to get a job. Typically in the 3 year timespan before 21 they have a job and are not looking to drive a truck.

Huge shortage on drivers in the trucking game - our trucking division recently implemented huge pay increases just to keep existing drivers, and hopefully to attract additional drivers. It has helped keep existing drivers on board, jury is still out on how it has helped on the recruiting side.

I'm not saying this will proposal will help much with the shortage, but I am on board. You can vote at 18, you can die for your country at 18, you should be able to drive a truck as well. I doubt you will find many 18 year old kids going down this path, except for Duke who's dad was a truck driver and has wanted to drive a Peterbuilt since 3rd grade.

arch stanton

Reaction score
And what does that pay full time
So I pay my guys hourly plus overtime after 8 or 40 and double time after 12 just like a real job should I also give monthly and yearly performance bonus based on what your truck earns minus breaking things that would be your fault like backing over a fire hydrant last year total bonus for the year for each driver was between 4k and 6k and the top driver running a super 10 mostly and about 10% Lowbed made 90K.
As far as hourly wage the more hours a week you will commit to running the higher your hourly pay I like to get a commitment of 60 hours you don't actually have to run 60 and most of the time you won't I just want the flexibility to take extra work when its available. My driver that is 75 only runs about 40 hrs no nights as he just does not see as well as he used to and very few Saturdays but around 25 hr depending of the person.

So Blackmagic94 are you looking for a change of occupations or just trying to figure out why you can't keep drivers
my longest term driver started for me in 1998 but left to run a D9 dozed for 3 years and came back and another guy also came back he has been with me a total of about 12 years, I can't be too much of an asshole as they find the grass was not greener.

The other thing that I have done is my last 3 trucks are as nice to drive and as dependable as I can make them it is not cheap to do but there is a big payoff in up time for both truck and driver if you want to know the details I will tell you every thing but I don't want to type that much info pm me a number and we can talk about it.

arch stanton

Reaction score
Think about it. Kids getting out of high school that are not going to college and they want to get a job. Typically in the 3 year timespan before 21 they have a job and are not looking to drive a truck.

Huge shortage on drivers in the trucking game - our trucking division recently implemented huge pay increases just to keep existing drivers, and hopefully to attract additional drivers. It has helped keep existing drivers on board, jury is still out on how it has helped on the recruiting side.

I'm not saying this will proposal will help much with the shortage, but I am on board. You can vote at 18, you can die for your country at 18, you should be able to drive a truck as well. I doubt you will find many 18 year old kids going down this path, except for Duke who's dad was a truck driver and has wanted to drive a Peterbuilt since 3rd grade.
I Don't think you need to start a driving career as a class A driver I started driving a 1 ton box truck delivering appliances then 2 jobs driving a 20foot stake bed delivering construction hardware and pluming supplies then I got a class A at 24 but nobody would give me a job driving a dump truck I did not what to go over the road, So I saved up the money and bought a transfer dump and I have been doing it 33 years.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
We had a trucking company in CA, (hay from Imperial valley up to Poston hauling to Chino) I was driving doubles to dairies in chino when I was 14. I got my CDL when I was 16. I still have it 30 years later. I've always kept it because we've always had trucks for hauling our own feed or crops and moving equipment around. The company that hauls our milk pays the drivers right at 95k. They can't keep drivers because the oilfield all around us will start a driver at over 100k. These are pretty simple runs, home most nights, one weekend a month on plus full benefits. Most have some crazy 8k sign on bonus too. A couple of my buddies own oilfield companies and they say the drivers today are unreliable, lazy and terrible on equipment.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
whatever. this thread isn't about how to kill the most people. its about 18 year olds being responsible enough to handle the equipment. I guess it takes more skill and responsibility to operate a rig compared to operating on aircraft, to which you can solo at 14 and receive a license at 16.

Not sure I agree with this...

My nephew had his pilot license at 16. His grandfather was a real TopGun instructor. He had my nephew flying at a Very young age.

I went flying with my nephew a Lot when we were kids. I would be amazed every time at the amount of pre checks that had to be done. It seemed like it would take close to an hour or more, from the time we got to the airport, till we got in the air. He was barely 16, but he totally owned that situation. I'd just paitently watch and wait while he did what he had to do. It was very cool to watch.

He's almost ready to retire now. Flys commercial airliners. He's had a great fucking life. Still single and still loves to surf. As one can imagine, he's surfed most every wave on this earth.

Age is just a number. It says nothing about someone's maturity level.

Just look at some of the posts on this place, if you truly need proof of this fact.

Cdog

Reaction score
I drive I10 between AZ and TX a lot...not to mention I90 and I15. The amount of foreign visa drivers is unreal...good luck finding anything but subway and Indian food at a truck stop in west texas and much of the western us.

IDK if its a great idea but a lot of rural kids have been heavy hauling under farm licenses since they could get behind the wheel..the experience is probably there especially in the midwest.

same goes for N of the grapevine. I’m usually the only dude without a towel on my head at the biofuel stop just west of Bakersfield. Lol! And the Indian food buffets… haha!!

DaveH

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with this...

My nephew had his pilot license at 16. His grandfather was a real TopGun instructor. He had my nephew flying at a Very young age.

I went flying with my nephew a Lot when we were kids. I would be amazed every time at the amount of pre checks that had to be done. It seemed like it would take close to an hour or more, from the time we got to the airport, till we got in the air. He was barely 16, but he totally owned that situation. I'd just paitently watch and wait while he did what he had to do. It was very cool to watch.

He's almost ready to retire now. Flys commercial airliners. He's had a great fucking life. Still single and still loves to surf. As one can imagine, he's surfed most every wave on this earth.

Age is just a number. It says nothing about someone's maturity level.

Just look at some of the posts on this place, if you truly need proof of this fact.
bingo....this is what I have been trying to point out......maturity level has nothing to do with age.

i can see more rigorous training requirements for younger drivers. but otherwise didn't see why this is such a big deal.

while the FAA doesn't have special training requirements for pilots of a younger age......they are still heald to all the same standards ANY student pilot is held to.

FCT

Reaction score
The real money is heavy hauls that require special permits and trailers. That is some serious coin
This.
I can’t tell you how many people told me I was crazy for starting my business and there is no money in trucking anymore. It’s bullshit. Their is plenty of money to be made you just have to be a hustler and make the right connections just like any business. I believe If you have the will and work ethic you can be successful at anything.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Soon enough, the industry will be autonomous. The driver will be replaced with a tech savvy skinny 165lb18 year old, with a “killer app”.

😉

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Its interesting reading all the comments about this subject. I don't see many 18 year old's pursuing a career in trucking. The work schedules alone is enough to keep most people of all ages away. I believe the only 18 year old's who might take advantage of these new rules are those who've grown up around trucking and know the industry.

There's so many problems with the industry now and that's why there's so many driver shortages. That's a topic for another time.. I've been behind the wheel for about 4 years now and have done a variety of different things in the industry. I was lucky when I started. I got hooked up with a company that trained me and I hauled Ag materials which was great. Then I started hauling food grade oil for the same company and that was even better. I did this for about a year and I was home every other day and home on the weekends but my trips started on Sunday evenings. Unfortunately the company struggled and ultimately got rid of their trucks and hired owner operators to haul their products.

I took a 12 year break from trucking and tried something different and ultimately came back to the industry in 2018. I didn't keep my license so I signed on with a mega carrier (Knight) and got my license again. Trucking was a completely different then before. All computer logs, automatic trucks, governed speeds, and a bunch of other bull shit. I remember Knight saying "Great home time and pay" haha right! Nothing like living in a truck for 12-14 days for 2 days off. I lasted about 6 months there and got a local job and that was almost just a bad. This company had terrible equipment and virtually no work but I was home every night so I took it. I left there a few months after then took a month off to figure out if I should even stay in the industry or try something else. Then out of know where I hooked up with a driver supervisor for the company I'm with now and I thank god for it. I was able to negotiate a 4 day work week and it's all local so I'm home every night. The company pays well but the biggest surprise to me was the benefits. There 's always going to be issues at any workplace and occasionally I think about trying another company. When I do that though, I research the next company and it doesn't make sense to leave.

Which brings me to the topic of Walmart and driving for Walmart. This is one company I've always been fascinated with and have thought about applying. When I worked for Knight I did several drop hook loads hauling for Walmart. All there distribution centers I went to where so professional and organized. I was literally in and out of these centers within 30 to 45 minutes. When I spoke to drivers from Walmart they all seemed genuinely happy working for them. I began to do some research on the company and found a ton of information on them. I researched forum boards, the trucking report and the trucking truth and found drivers that posted on everything Walmart. The 89k pay is attainable at Walmart and most drivers make more than that. The biggest complaint I hear about Walmart is their cell phone policy while in the truck. From what I remember your allowed 1 hour of cell phone use during your 14 hours of on duty time. Calls can be received in no more than 10 minute intervals and not during your drive time. Your phone records are subject to reviews at any time. Now I could see most people saying, "That's a great policy for anyone behind the wheel of anything" but if you stop and think about it. This is limited cell phone use even with handsfree technology. So that driver who's out on the road all the time away from home and alone has virtually no contact with family, friends, loved ones and no ability to handle any over the phone affairs. Now Walmart just like everyone else is having difficulty hiring drivers and with all their perks and pay I could see this being a reason why some people wouldn't apply.

I know there are many great companies out there it just depends how much you want to work and if the money make sense. I can't see myself leaving where I'm at but if I do it will likely be to buy my own truck and work for myself. But if I do that there goes the 4 day work week! Oh and I'll pick up a whole new level of stress!